Should there be separate/gender neutral bathrooms for transgender people?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7689007.stm

That's just from a quick search. 
I'm going to have to find this "female like" brain they speak of. I always thought differences in the brain structure was debatable which is why there is no consensus. 
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/surprising-differences-between-male-and-female-brain200

I'd like to read the actual scientific articles, but these popular press articles are still interesting. 

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/surprising-differences-between-male-and-female-brain200

I'd like to read the actual scientific articles, but these popular press articles are still interesting. 
Yeah I'm more of a scientific article reader myself, especially when doing research like this. I just read an article saying the differences in men and women's brains start off at an early age because of environmental factors. For example, men are better at spatial reasoning because they engage in activities that involve the activation of that part of the brain (like chasing a ball) while girls don't (like having a tea party) but these differences can be evened out if both gender engaged in similar activities as they get older. But then again I lean more on the "nurture" than "nature" side of psychology.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm more of a scientific article reader myself, especially when doing research like this. I just read an article saying the differences in men and women's brains start off at an early age because of environmental factors. For example, men are better at spatial reasoning because they engage in activities that involve the activation of that part of the brain (like chasing a ball) while girls don't (like having a tea party) but these differences can be evened out if both gender engaged in similar activities as they get older. But then again I lean more on the "nurture" than "nature" side of psychology.
The article I posted noted specific physiological and structural differences between male and female brains. 

Unfortunately the research appears to be relatively new and so the article has yet to be published. 

The article I posted noted specific physiological and structural differences between male and female brains. 

Unfortunately the research appears to be relatively new and so the article has yet to be published. 
Yes I understand that but the scientific community can't agree whether those differences make up for the psychological differences we have or if it's purely socioeconomic or both. That's why you have this whole "nature vs. nuture" debate and the more I learn that more I lean toward "nurture" side than "nature". Not saying that biology is has no major role but it's not the end all be all.

Yes I understand that but the scientific community can't agree whether those differences make up for the psychological differences we have or if it's purely socioeconomic or both. That's why you have this whole "nature vs. nuture" debate and the more I learn that more I lean toward "nurture" side than "nature". Not saying that biology is has no major role but it's not the end all be all.
Right, but the point made in the original article that I posted was that certain brain structures in male-to-female transsexual people appear to be more "female like". Your original comment questioned the consensus on the structural differences. The consensus in the scientific community appears to be that there are very clear structural differences between male and female brains. 

Additionally, the article suggests a genetic link to transsexualism that affects the individual as early as development in the womb. 

I'm just clarifying based on your initial concerns. 

Right, but the point made in the original article that I posted was that certain brain structures in male-to-female transsexual people appear to be more "female like". Your original comment questioned the consensus on the structural differences. The consensus in the scientific community appears to be that there are very clear structural differences between male and female brains. 

Additionally, the article suggests a genetic link to transsexualism that affects the individual as early as development in the womb. 

i understand the whole scientific aspect of things...but i posted an article and proposed a question early that no one has addressed...before assimilation etc... there is no historic evidence that shows homosexuality/bisexuality in any race in history outside of caucasiod aka caucasions... So i cant see it as genetics. And what happen to which mongloid and negroid had no accounts in history of homosexuality etc... then all of a sudden it happens and begins once assimilation mixture with caucasions then we see it in all other races?

Again i hear you on genetics but i just find it interesting that no signs of these so called genetic aka inhereted traits untill recent history aka assimilation.

i understand the whole scientific aspect of things...but i posted an article and proposed a question early that no one has addressed...before assimilation etc... there is no historic evidence that shows homosexuality/bisexuality in any race in history outside of caucasiod aka caucasions... So i cant see it as genetics. And what happen to which mongloid and negroid had no accounts in history of homosexuality etc... then all of a sudden it happens and begins once assimilation mixture with caucasions then we see it in all other races?

Again i hear you on genetics but i just find it interesting that no signs of these so called genetic aka inhereted traits untill recent history aka assimilation.
What article? 

I'm not disagreeing with you on the structural differences, I'm saying are those structural differences really significant in the psychology of what make someone feel as if they are a man or woman or is it a social construct. 

If you go back and read my original post, I'm asking about the mental/psychological differences not the physical/structural differences. Yes men have bigger brains than women but what does that lead to psychologialy/mentally <- this is what I'm saying about the scientific community not having consensus on. This is the whole "nature vs. nuture" debate.

Last edited:
What article? 
it was awhile ago...but just google homosexuality history...everything is supposed, could be etc... with the exception of caucasiods... And im just using google cause it is the easiest to access. But only confirm/truth proven history outside our current society of homosexuality is with homosexuality with caucasiods... pre assimilation etc...

So like the million dollar ? one set of ppl have a proven factual history of homosexuality... no one else does... they mix with other races then all of a sudden it becomes apparent in other races and it is deemed "genetic" even tho no historical proven evidence to say it occured beforehand. Ok but i digress.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the structural differences, I'm saying are those structural differences really significant in the psychology of what make someone feel as if they are a man or woman or is it a social construct. 

If you go back and read my original post, I'm asking about the mental/psychological differences not the physical/structural differences. Yes men have bigger brains than women but what does that lead to psychologialy/mentally <- this is what I'm saying about the scientific community not having consensus on. This is the whole "nature vs. nuture" debate.
Structural and physiological differences will lead to psychological differences. For example, hormonal imbalances cause mental changes. Does this entirely account for transsexualism? Probably not.

The article I posted presents structural and physiological differences in male-to-female transsexual individuals. 

Structural differences are not limited to men having bigger brains than women. 

At the very least, there appear to be genetic, physiological (linked to genetic), and structural factors contributing to male-to-female transsexual individuals.

Bringing it back to the topic... I still don't think you should be able to use whatever restroom you want based on the psychology of how u feel you identify or how you "feel" based on hormonal imbalances.... A man is a man, a woman is a woman... EVEN with a sex change a transguy won't produce eggs, and a transwoman won't produce sperm. That said I feel if you've had an operation then you should go to whichever restroom corresponds with the final result.

Structural and physiological differences will lead to psychological differences
This is the "nature vs. nurture" debate I keep saying over and over lol. You're taking a nature stance, which again I'll say isn't agreed upon by everyone, while I'm taking a nurture stance. There's a huge difference between biology and psychology and they don't always correlate. That's why you have theories such as the "blank slate" theory. 

But I will ask, what are the psychological differences between men and women and how do they link back to our biological differences that doesn't relate to environmental/social influences?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom