Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

no way espn did that
eek.gif

Since it's almost a given that it was an intentional pun in the headline (headline writers try way too hard), the writer should be fired.

But...

Are we going to go so far as to ban any phrase that may be construed as offensive? Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?

If we were truly progressive, we would completely dissociate "$+!%! in the armor" from its derogatory connotation.

I agree fully that the writer was wrong, but I'm looking forward to the day where we can use that phrase and no one will be offended because it won't even be a consideration that someone would be trying to use it as a slur.

^History can't die. As such, there are certain things that just can't be done. This will always be the case. It's not that difficult to avoid these things. If we were truly progressive, that headline wouldn't ever have been written in consideration of the implications of that word. 
Don't use that term while describing and highlighting a person of Chinese descent. How hard is that?

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Since it's almost a given that it was an intentional pun in the headline (headline writers try way too hard), the writer should be fired.

But...

Are we going to go so far as to ban any phrase that may be construed as offensive? Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?

[color= rgb(204, 0, 0)]If we were truly progressive,[/color] we would completely dissociate "$+!%! in the armor" from its derogatory connotation.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I agree fully that the writer was wrong, but I'm looking forward to the day where we can use that phrase and no one will be offended[/color] because it won't even be a consideration that someone would be trying to use it as a slur.
I see what you are saying but we are not truly progressive and whoever put that up should have had the tact to understand how this could be hurtful to some people, especially right next to one of the most popular Asian-Americans right now.

You are looking forward to the day way can use that phrase and no one will be offended? This isn't right to me, that would just be like trying to erase all of the history of what minorities struggled for.  People need to understand why it is offensive and why it is unacceptable to use it. There is a reason the most hurtful words for African-American's and homosexuals are not everyday words that people can use in schools and at work.  Its not because were aren't "progressive", its because those words are disrespectful.  There will be no perfect world where you can say whatever you want and words don't hurt.  There is a reason freedom of speech has limitations, its so you can't say whatever you want and that we can respect each other.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Greg McNeal, Contributor
WASHINGTON | 2/18/2012 @ 11:14AM |527 views
ESPN Uses "%*$*+ in the Armor" Line Twice-- Did Linsanity Just Go Racist?
Linsanity just jumped the shark with the ESPN mobile website using the headline a “%*$*+ in the Armor

Originally Posted by georgehimself

But...

[color= rgb(204, 0, 0)]If we were truly progressive,[/color] we would completely dissociate "$+!%! in the armor" from its derogatory connotation.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I agree fully that the writer was wrong, but I'm looking forward to the day where we can use that phrase and no one will be offended[/color] because it won't even be a consideration that someone would be trying to use it as a slur.
I see what you are saying but we are not truly progressive and whoever put that up should have had the tact to understand how this could be hurtful to some people, especially right next to one of the most popular Asian-Americans right now.

You are looking forward to the day way can use that phrase and no one will be offended? This isn't right to me, that would just be like trying to erase all of the history of what minorities struggled for.  People need to understand why it is offensive and why it is unacceptable to use it. There is a reason the most hurtful words for African-American's and homosexuals are not everyday words that people can use in schools and at work.  Its not because were aren't "progressive", its because those words are disrespectful.  There will be no perfect world where you can say whatever you want and words don't hurt.  There is a reason freedom of speech has limitations, its so you can't say whatever you want and that we can respect each other.

I see what you're saying. Once the word has been tainted, there is no going back.

But...

If we were truly progressive, we would completely dissociate "$+!%! in the armor" from its derogatory connotation.

I agree fully that the writer was wrong, but I'm looking forward to the day where we can use that phrase and no one will be offended because it won't even be a consideration that someone would be trying to use it as a slur.
I really 100% feel you on that.  And I am almost positive that it will never happen.
Just look at the N word, that alllllll sorts of people overuse and glorify and have done so for years.  As many times as that word shows up in rap in the most positive of ways, nobody has EVER forgotten where it came from and what it originally meant.

Last night, ESPN.com's mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am. The headline was removed at 3:05 am. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake.
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7588915

It couldve been an honest mistake when whoever thought it up wrote it, but it to be okd and stay up and the writer not to see the problem shows either classlessness and disrespect or just pure ignorance. SMH

(what i posted in the other thread)

and now that i think about it some more...if it is just some writer trying to be punny but ignorant to the connotation, then SMH. but if some guy though this was actually OK?
mad.gif
mad.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

You guys do know headlines are usually puns right?  Im not buying the whole "maybe they didn't realize what they said" angle.

What's point of using this phrase "blank in the armor"?  Is the team called the New York Knights? The only connection to Lin and the phrase was the slur.

I refuse to believe a person in that position didn't know what they were doing.  Its pathetic.  They throw him under the bus for losing and having turnovers then call him a slur
indifferent.gif
 Damn ESPN

now i aint all up in arms over this, but it is very inappropriate and the judgement is piss poor.

those boys over at ESPN coulda one a million different ways with the headlines, "Hornets Sting Lin", "Fall-lin to the Hornet", hell even "Knicks snap streak" would be better. For them to go over and publish blank in the armor, very dumb, very tasteless. Does this speak to a bigger problem in the media ? Of course. But at the end of the day, it's just ESPN. I only watch it for the Top 10. As long as the knicks keep winning and Lin continues to play well, im sure he and the team don't care what the hell anyone is saying.

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

now i aint all up in arms over this, but it is very inappropriate and the judgement is piss poor.

those boys over at ESPN coulda one a million different ways with the headlines, "Hornets Sting Lin", "Fall-lin to the Hornet", hell even "Knicks snap streak" would be better. For them to go over and publish blank in the armor, very dumb, very tasteless. Does this speak to a bigger problem in the media ? Of course. But at the end of the day, it's just ESPN. I only watch it for the Top 10. As long as the knicks keep winning and Lin continues to play well, im sure he and the team don't care what the hell anyone is saying.

laugh.gif
 Son ESPN is the biggest name in sports.  They are synonymous with sports.  Its not like its just a show. Or just a channel.  Or blog.  ESPN brand is too large for irresponsible behavior like this.  It's like saying its just Nike. 

Sorry I wasnt clear. But i meant to say, to me, it's just ESPN. I don't watch Television much, but i know where you're coming from. Theres millions of people who tune in and watch religiously. I for one believe that we shoulda just left this alone, and ignored the ignorance. But among all the Lin stories and Mayweather and MSG fortune cookies and all that I understand why this story was blown up the way it is.

Once again, crappy writers trying to be funny. It underlines a social notion that people are just starting to realize with the rise of Jeremy lin. And its that Asian stereotyping, and what's considered socially acceptable to say and display, are held in a different regard compared to other races. Asian folk cant even see themselves in movies without being overly stereotyped. The closest thing to a regular human being I've seen is Harold from those pot movies lol. I havent read through this thread but im sure people have already discussed it.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

That ESPN mobile headline "%%$%$ in the Armor" can't be real....right?
It was real and they crossed the line.  somebody deserves to lose their job for that.  I'm black and it hurt me.  c'mon man thats downright disgusting right there.

I urge people to tweet espn and email them over this.  Stand up and don't let them say "sorry" and keep it moving.  

This.
That really caught me off guard this morning. Felt just like seeing the "N Word" in a major news headline.

Inexcusable. People really need to take a stand on this one. 

j67gcj.jpg
clever.

SNL is doing a great opening skit on the one sided racism going on since Lin has become a global story

laugh.gif

WHOA, what the heck man, why are "they" goin in on lin so tough? that is extremely unacceptable, someone needs to be dropped for that, this is even worse than that Imus bs, i got heated and im not even Asian

Originally Posted by slickp42189

WHOA, what the heck man, why are "they" goin in on lin so tough? that is extremely unacceptable, someone needs to be dropped for that, this is even worse than that Imus bs, i got heated and im not even Asian

A lot of this minstrelsy is being perpetuated by Asians themselves

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

really? so now its backfiring? whats that old adage? 
"give them an inch and theyll take a mile"

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I don't buy that one bit... maybe a few here and there..but I havent seen anything overtly minstrel-like...unless youre including all the lin puns

Back
Top Bottom