Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by sole searchin

NooEra wrote:
Eh its all in good fun in this case. Who the *%+! cares?

Racism is EVERYWHERE and ITS NOT GOING AWAY in our lifetimes. The sooner ya'll realize that the better.

White folks, asian folks, black folks, people of middle eastern decent and so on and so forth; they're all racist.

Im sorry to all those who are easily offended by what some buffon has to say about your race. It will NEVER be that serious.
----------------------------------------------------

It's not even worth worrying or thinking about.
That's the thing, who does really care? No outcry about anything from this tweet yet, but if a white man, or another columnist said something about a black athlete being a gorilla, monkey, cotton picker the out cry would be insane.

It's not that serious, until it happens to black people.

*shrugs* I didn't really care much about the tweet, but it came from Whitlock who is all about no racism and defending the minorities, etc.
Exactly my point summed up on SNL
http://deadspin.com/58862...ted-the-list-of-lin-puns

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

They only do it because y'all allow to them too. You all have to create the change yourselves

That's foolish, man. People allow themselves to say what is wrong...... People know what is right and wrong. Especially a multibillion dollar industry, like ESPN. All I got to say is much love to the people that see the wrong in this, whether you're black, white, latino, and can see that what ESPN did, was WRONG. I'll say again, as a Vietnamese- American, you have a pure heart and can empathize. To me, it doesn't take over analyzing the word +!*@@ in correlation with the world's most famous basketball player right now. You can come up with all the excuses, or say you're naive and don't see it, or, people are too sensitive nowadays..... all that jazz. BUT IT IS WRONG. There's alot of dynamics of being Asian, maybe we are not united, maybe we are....I think, Asians, being a minority of the population have our obstacles. America tends to think that Asians are complacent, cause we don't stand up for ourselves, or in this case stand up for Asians as a community, but you're wrong again, cause we do have other issues to worry about besides a headline. We are  under a BIG umbrella when we are label as Asians... There are plenty of immigrants trying to come to America right now. That creates another dynamic, that ALL races should understand. I'm seeing black folks on here saying I'm heated, and "I'm not even Asian." Good for you, cause you SEE it. Some of you out there might  have this misconstrued perception that Asians have it good, cause we're the "model" minority, but maaaaan, we're far from it. We go through the racism of minorities, and then there is this glass ceiling from White America jabbing at us. It's really a trip. In a way, I'm glad it took Jeremy Lin to bring this to the discussion table, cause more will see what I'm talking about, and more will keep on looking at it as a non- issue through their own prejudices or soft ego. All in all, if you have Asian patnas, or want to understand Asian folks, just know what ESPN did was completely wrong...... no excuses, and someone should be fired.....

I don't think you have it good or better than me .i say you need to put down the stereotypical and ridiculous signs and respect yourselves .you would never see a sign saying who says a black man can't read plays. Or we ain't just fast we smart too.Never see stuff like that at all period.You won't see a Cain Velasquez sign saying we throw punches harder than a sack of oranges.or a we drive to then hope faster than we drive from the cops.You would never see that at all.You all have to respect yourselves on all fronts .What espn did was unacceptable and completely ignorant .They thought it was a funny because they thought it was acceptable

That SNL skit was hilarious and im glad they pointed out what they did.

It made me see things from a different POV.

Obviously the point of the skit and shows like SouthPark who do social commentary in the form of comedy.

They only do it because y'all allow to them too. You all have to create the change yourselves

100% correct.
Asians and Indians (yes I know...) are continually portrayed as weak, socially awkward nerds and pushovers by Hollywood and it is accepted by their communities because those depictions can be brushed off as lighthearted, backhanded compliments. It is better that someone joke about how intelligent you are, or how tightly knit your family unit is, than they portray you as an ignorant savage. Also these groups have their own thriving film industries and historically rich collections of favorable self depictions...so all is good. For these reasons there is little, to no unified outcry about the depiction of Asians in the modern Western media

Until something like this pops up.

Until the more sinister side of stereotyping and intolerance shows it face. 

Yes Asian-Americans themselves have to shoulder some of the responsibility for this prolonged flood of inappropriate racial Lin-nuendo. The original "yellow-mamba" and "who says Asians can't drive" signs came from Asian-Americans themselves, which gave other people the green light to go in and go over the top. Mainstream media doesn't do that to Black or Latino Americans as blatantly, because they know that the resulting outcry will hurt their bottom lines.

And still the strongest reaction that I have seen from Asian-Americans about the Lin-appropriate jokes, has been to point the fingers at other "minorities" instead of facing the power structure, which constantly perpetuates these stereotypes, head on.  

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

That's foolish, man. People allow themselves to say what is wrong...... People know what is right and wrong. Especially a multibillion dollar industry, like ESPN. All I got to say is much love to the people that see the wrong in this, whether you're black, white, latino, and can see that what ESPN did, was WRONG. I'll say again, as a Vietnamese- American, you have a pure heart and can empathize. To me, it doesn't take over analyzing the word +!*@@ in correlation with the world's most famous basketball player right now. You can come up with all the excuses, or say you're naive and don't see it, or, people are too sensitive nowadays..... all that jazz. BUT IT IS WRONG. There's alot of dynamics of being Asian, maybe we are not united, maybe we are....I think, Asians, being a minority of the population have our obstacles. America tends to think that Asians are complacent, cause we don't stand up for ourselves, or in this case stand up for Asians as a community, but you're wrong again, cause we do have other issues to worry about besides a headline. We are  under a BIG umbrella when we are label as Asians... There are plenty of immigrants trying to come to America right now. That creates another dynamic, that ALL races should understand. I'm seeing black folks on here saying I'm heated, and "I'm not even Asian." Good for you, cause you SEE it. Some of you out there might  have this misconstrued perception that Asians have it good, cause we're the "model" minority, but maaaaan, we're far from it. We go through the racism of minorities, and then there is this glass ceiling from White America jabbing at us. It's really a trip. In a way, I'm glad it took Jeremy Lin to bring this to the discussion table, cause more will see what I'm talking about, and more will keep on looking at it as a non- issue through their own prejudices or soft ego. All in all, if you have Asian patnas, or want to understand Asian folks, just know what ESPN did was completely wrong...... no excuses, and someone should be fired.....
What dude said isn't wrong though. It is absolutely wrong on their part for White America and other minorities to make racial jokes and racial comments about Asians publicly (or even privately, it depends on how sensitive you are), but it really is up to the Asians to put a stop to it. If Asians never come out and say "Hey, that's wrong and unacceptable." then it will never stop and in the other people's minds they will think it's all in good and fun because the other Asians are going along with it.
I have had conversations about Asians getting mad at Asian jokes with friends, some say that Asians (especially Asian youths/teenagers) are quick to get mad at these jokes, heck the general consensus here on NT is Asian remarks are intolerable and people are quick to get banned or suspended for them. But from what I have seen, Asians is the race that goes along with these racial jokes the most, too. I think it has to do with the fact that the Asian culture is so different from American culture that they are outcasted so much in society that they have no choice but to laugh along with these jokes to fit in. If an Asian gets mad at racial jokes or cultural jokes, they would be viewed as "sensitive". Sensitivity is viewed as a weakness, and weakness is one of the stereotypes for Asians
ohwell.gif
. Not only that but in most first generation Asians' minds, since they are in someone else's land, it is better off that they don't cause any trouble, and this mentality is pushed onto the future generation.

Asians need to do better and take a stance when it comes to racial issues. Even here in General, we have seen a lot of "reaches" by members trying to find racism in everything pertaining to blacks, but the fact to the matter is, this mentality has been the thing that sets the difference between political correctness with Asians and blacks. Blacks have a clearer and more open definition of what is acceptable and what is not. With Asians, since everything is either ignored or went along with, the line is more blurred.
If this incident were to pertain to a black athlete instead of an Asian one, you would definitely have a "big" figure like Russell Simmons come out and say something and boycott ESPN or whatever. That is not to say that other minorities won't support that Asians in this cause, but it just doesn't have the same emphasis as if a big Asian figure were to come out and denounce ESPN for their actions. There have been Asians that have come out on racial issues, but they are usually political figures, the sad thing in today's culture is, a political figure does not have as big of an impact as a media  or social figure.  

Are we going to change the thread title? ESPN fired the employee for the ESPN Mobile headline and suspended Max Bretos a month and issued an apology to the Asian community.

http://t.co/6UNQjzG3

And Dirty, I too have seen multiple Asians with cutesy racist signs. There was a female the other day with one that said something like "Lin, It's Sensei-tional," so it definitely goes both ways though it seems to have died down since the firestorm reference the media and the way the speak of him erupted

Statement on offensive comments
EmailPrint
ESPN.com
At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

EmailPrint
ESPN.com
At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.
Appropriate response imo.

Are we not standing up for ourselves or are we being too sensitive? Which one is it so I can react accordingly. Thanks.

EmailPrint
ESPN.com

OD

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]
folks think they're being clever or funny, but this just perfectly captures the wishy/washy nature of our society where we cry foul for certain things, but let others pass. 
[/color]

oh the irony 

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Are we going to change the thread title? ESPN fired the employee for the ESPN Mobile headline and suspended Max Bretos a month and issued an apology to the Asian community.

http://t.co/6UNQjzG3

And Dirty, I too have seen multiple Asians with cutesy racist signs. There was a female the other day with one that said something like "Lin, It's Sensei-tional," so it definitely goes both ways though it seems to have died down since the firestorm reference the media and the way the speak of him erupted

What do you suggest I change the title to?

I also feel as though Whitlock should have been suspended from Fox Sports.  As a journalist, he should be held to a higher standard and not have to resort to lame jokes just to get a few RTs. 

This $+#* is getting out of hand. 

I don't support him at all, his race-sports style writing is terrible regardless of if he's being racist towards Asians with a lame joke or the hundreds of racist towards black people articles he has written since he left ESPN and switched his gimmick up 180 degrees. Look up some of his stuff about Serena Williams, Mike Vick, and any of his articles about the NBA All Star Game crowd.

Mayhem Main Event at NBA All-Star Weekend
'Police Were Simply Overwhelmed' in Sin City
By JASON WHITLOCK
AOL
Sports Commentary

LAS VEGAS -- NBA All-Star Weekend in Vegas was an unmitigated failure, and any thoughts of taking the extravaganza to New Orleans in 2008 are total lunacy.

An event planned to showcase what is right about professional basketball has been turned into a 72-hour display of why commissioner David Stern can't sleep at night and spends his days thinking of rules to mask what the NBA has come to represent.

Good luck fixing All-Star Weekend.

The game is a sloppy, boring, half-hearted mess. The dunk contest is contrived and pointless. The celebrity contest is unintended comedy. And, worst of all, All-Star Weekend revelers have transformed the league's midseason exhibition into the new millennium Freaknik, an out-of-control street party that features gunplay, violence, non-stop weed smoke and general mayhem.

Word of all the criminal activity that transpired during All-Star Weekend has been slowly leaking out on Las Vegas radio shows and TV newscasts and on Internet blogs the past 24 hours.

"It was filled with an element of violence," Teresa Frey, general manager for Coco's restaurant, told klastv.com. "They don't want to pay their bills. They don't want to respect us or each other."

Things got so bad that she closed the 24-hour restaurant from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m.

"I have been spit on. I have had food thrown at me," she said. "I have lost two servers out of fear. I have locked my door out of the fear of violence."

All weekend, people, especially cab drivers, gossiped about brawls and shootings. You didn't know what to believe because the local newspaper was filled with stories about what a raging success All-Star Weekend was. The city is desperately trying to attract an NBA franchise, and, I guess, there was no reason to let a few bloody bodies get in the way of a cozy relationship with Stern.

Plus, the NBA's business partner ESPN didn't have time to dirty its hands and report on the carnage. I'm sure ESPN's reporters were embedded in the rear ends of the troops -- Shaq, Kobe, King James, D-Wade, AI and Melo.

But there were multiple brawls, at least two shootings, more than 350 arrests and a lot of terror in Vegas over the weekend.

And the police might want to talk to NFL player Pacman Jones about a nasty shooting spree at a Vegas strip club. Jones and the rapper Nelly were allegedly at Minxx Gentlemen's Club Monday morning shortly before (or during) the shooting.

Two victims, male employees of the club, were listed in critical condition at the hospital; a third, a female patron, sustained non-life threatening injuries after being grazed by a bullet.

There were so many fights and so many gangbangers and one parking-lot shootout at the MGM Grand that people literally fled the hotel in fear for their safety. I talked with a woman who moved from the MGM to the Luxor because "I couldn't take it. I'll never come back to another All-Star Game."

There are reports of a brawl between rappers and police at the Wynn Hotel.

Vegas police were simply overwhelmed along The Strip. They were there solely for decoration and to discourage major crimes. Beyond that, they minded their own business.

I was there. Walking The Strip this weekend must be what it feels like to walk the yard at a maximum security prison. You couldn't relax. You avoided eye contact. The heavy police presence only reminded you of the danger.

Without a full-scale military occupation, New Orleans will not survive All-Star Weekend 2008.

David Stern seriously needs to consider moving the event out of the country for the next couple of years in hopes that young, hip-hop hoodlums would find another event to terrorize. Taking the game to Canada won't do it. The game needs to be moved overseas, someplace where the Bloods and Crips and hookers and $@*% can't get to it without a passport and plane ticket.

Stern has spent the past three years trying to move his league and players past the thug image Ron Artest's fan brawl stamped on the NBA.

After this weekend, I'm convinced he's losing the battle. All-Star Weekend Vegas screamed that the NBA is aligned too closely with thugs. Stern is going to have to take drastic measures to break that perception/reality. All-Star Weekend can no longer remain the Woodstock for parolees, wannabe rap artists and baby's mamas on tax-refund vacations.
This was not a byproduct of the game being held in Vegas. All-Star Weekend has been on this path for the past five or six years. Every year the event becomes more and more a destination for troublemakers.

If something isn't done, next year's All-Star Weekend will surpass the deceased Freaknik, a weekend-long party in Atlanta, in terms of lawlessness. Wide-spread looting and a rape killed the Freaknik in 1999.

The NBA's image cannot survive bedlam in the French Quarter. And I'm not sure it can survive the embarrassment of a New Orleans standoff between its fans and the National Guard, either.

If Stern wants to continue to strengthen the international appeal of his game, he has the perfect excuse to move the All-Star Game to Germany, China, England or anywhere Suge Knight's posse can't find it.

Consistency.

Naturally if he wasn't black himself, he wouldn't get away with any of that unless he greatly softened up the language and thug/babby mama/rap/prison references. He does it for effect though, he has admitted as much himself.

one only has to read the comments in any of the news stories reporting on the firing of the espn headline writer to see how much society doesn't get it. again..Asians not deemed worthy of minority status

EmailPrint
ESPN.com

Are they talking about Whitlock?

No. Whitlock is with Fox Sports. They are talking about Max Breto, the guy who said "%@%++ in the armor" when referring to limitations in Lin's basketball game.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

one only has to read the comments in any of the news stories reporting on the firing of the espn headline writer to see how much society doesn't get it. again..Asians not deemed worthy of minority status
As a minority myself (albeit not a racial minority), I love when that applies to me. 

Back
Top Bottom