Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

one only has to read the comments in any of the news stories reporting on the firing of the espn headline writer to see how much society doesn't get it. again..Asians not deemed worthy of minority status
As a minority myself (albeit not a racial minority), I love when that applies to me. 

how are you a minority then

Originally Posted by MonStar1

You guys do know headlines are usually puns right?  Im not buying the whole "maybe they didn't realize what they said" angle.

What's point of using this phrase "blank in the armor"?  Is the team called the New York Knights? The only connection to Lin and the phrase was the slur.

I refuse to believe a person in that position didn't know what they were doing.  Its pathetic.  They throw him under the bus for losing and having turnovers then call him a slur
indifferent.gif
 Damn ESPN

i think alot of people were just reaching.... this reminds me when mccain used da "lipstick on a pig" remark that cats tried to misconstrue into everything then what it actually meant.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

They only do it because y'all allow to them too. You all have to create the change yourselves

100% correct.
Asians and Indians (yes I know...) are continually portrayed as weak, socially awkward nerds and pushovers by Hollywood and it is accepted by their communities because those depictions can be brushed off as lighthearted, backhanded compliments. It is better that someone joke about how intelligent you are, or how tightly knit your family unit is, than they portray you as an ignorant savage. Also these groups have their own thriving film industries and historically rich collections of favorable self depictions...so all is good. For these reasons there is little, to no unified outcry about the depiction of Asians in the modern Western media

Until something like this pops up.

Until the more sinister side of stereotyping and intolerance shows it face. 

Yes Asian-Americans themselves have to shoulder some of the responsibility for this prolonged flood of inappropriate racial Lin-nuendo. The original "yellow-mamba" and "who says Asians can't drive" signs came from Asian-Americans themselves, which gave other people the green light to go in and go over the top. Mainstream media doesn't do that to Black or Latino Americans as blatantly, because they know that the resulting outcry will hurt their bottom lines.

And still the strongest reaction that I have seen from Asian-Americans about the Lin-appropriate jokes, has been to point the fingers at other "minorities" instead of facing the power structure, which constantly perpetuates these stereotypes, head on.  
its because its in da nature of asian cultures to respect authority and not question anything, that their culture emphasizes power distance, and uncertainty avoidance...

if anything western culture is making probably a helluva more big deal about it then they are, cuz frankly they do it do when speaking about other cultures thats not from their own.

not to say that its outta spite or ignorance, its just that western culture is FAR more politically sensitive...i know my hispanic culture is no where near as politically correct either, so

things i know i can say in spanish i wouldn't dare try to duplicate it in English.

Originally Posted by sole searchin

Originally Posted by sole searchin

NooEra wrote:
Eh its all in good fun in this case. Who the *%+! cares?

Racism is EVERYWHERE and ITS NOT GOING AWAY in our lifetimes. The sooner ya'll realize that the better.

White folks, asian folks, black folks, people of middle eastern decent and so on and so forth; they're all racist.

Im sorry to all those who are easily offended by what some buffon has to say about your race. It will NEVER be that serious.
----------------------------------------------------

It's not even worth worrying or thinking about.
That's the thing, who does really care? No outcry about anything from this tweet yet, but if a white man, or another columnist said something about a black athlete being a gorilla, monkey, cotton picker the out cry would be insane.

It's not that serious, until it happens to black people.

*shrugs* I didn't really care much about the tweet, but it came from Whitlock who is all about no racism and defending the minorities, etc.
Exactly my point summed up on SNL
http://deadspin.com/58862...ted-the-list-of-lin-puns

SoleSearchin I feel alot of people need to stay out of the commenting on racism/stereotyping business cause almost everybody does it in some way.  Just this Snl skit while I don't have no problem with it I find it funny that this is an accepted stereotype that nobody has no problem with.  Oh no race or group complains but black people ok 
laugh.gif
.  That's why I laugh at this stuff cause people do it alot whether they realize it or not.  As humans if we want to start to leave this racism/stereotyping behind its probably best judging people on a one on one basis but honestly most are too lazy to do that.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

one only has to read the comments in any of the news stories reporting on the firing of the espn headline writer to see how much society doesn't get it. again..Asians not deemed worthy of minority status

basically. not enough power or respect to be in the mainstream/majority, but not struggling enough or socially/politically oppressed enough to be considered a "real"minority

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

No. Whitlock is with Fox Sports. They are talking about Max Breto, the guy who said "%@%++ in the armor" when referring to limitations in Lin's basketball game.

Oh okay I thought the headline and what the anchor said were two separate incidents.  One wrote it, one said it on the air.

I think with Asians alot of the offensive remarks come from ignorance... for example plenty of people here in Texas don't even know oriental is offensive to ya'll so they just blissfully pop off and it's not even necessarily malicious... I feel Asians have the option to either rock the boat and speak up or give it no credence and ignore it, and really both options kinda suck but that's just part of being a minority

It isn't just Asians though. A lot of people that are first generation Americans are ashamed of their heritage. I see it among young Hatians and Hispanics all of the time. A lot do so much to break away from their heritage and it is really sad.

^ for some reason we get put into a catch-22.

complain and say something, were being "oversensitive", "too PC", "chill its a harmless joke", "jesus you cant say anything anymore".

take it, let it go and be the bigger person, and were being "pushovers", "wusses", "chumps".

again, which is it?

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

No. Whitlock is with Fox Sports. They are talking about Max Breto, the guy who said "%@%++ in the armor" when referring to limitations in Lin's basketball game.

Oh okay I thought the headline and what the anchor said were two separate incidents.  One wrote it, one said it on the air.

They are. Max Breto was suspended. The guy who made the ESPN Mobile headline was fired.

Originally Posted by frink85

^ for some reason we get put into a catch-22.

complain and say something, were being "oversensitive", "too PC", "chill its a harmless joke", "jesus you cant say anything anymore".

take it, let it go and be the bigger person, and were being "pushovers", "wusses", "chumps".

again, which is it?
Happens to anyone that speaks up for themselves.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

It isn't just Asians though. A lot of people that are first generation Americans are ashamed of their heritage. I see it among young Hatians and Hispanics all of the time. A lot do so much to break away from their heritage and it is really sad.

I agree but I think it's moreso minorities in general.

I don't like my heritage or the culture that comes with it. There is nothing wrong with that. What if I want to do something different with my children?

Originally Posted by megatron

I don't like my heritage or the culture that comes with it. There is nothing wrong with that. What if I want to do something different with my children?

Actually there is something wrong with that .That is what we call self hate.

Back
Top Bottom