Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

I think they were referring to in game rotations. i'm assuming the starting lineup is Fish, Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Bynum. but Gasol will move to the centerposition when Bynum is resting.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

a coupl eof things. wha the hel are the Lakers doing.??? Gasol to the bench? Odom to the 2? not happeneing.

lol @ Mepmphis. They are gonna stink next year.
They were referring to the rotations when Bynum sits for a rest, Gasol could temporarily cover the 5 spot, and Odom back to the 4.

I like Odom at the Guard/Point Forward spot, with his athleticism. Imagine Odom in the block posting up a guard or a small forward
eek.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

a coupl eof things. wha the hel are the Lakers doing.??? Gasol to the bench? Odom to the 2? not happeneing.

They were referring to the rotations when Bynum sits for a rest, Gasol could temporarily cover the 5 spot, and Odom back to the 4.

I like Odom at the Guard/Point Forward spot, with his athleticism. Imagine Odom in the block posting up a guard or a small forward
eek.gif

He will probably miss the lay up any way...
roll.gif

I hope lamar steps his game up. I don't want to see us trade them away. Really sucks. I am deploying in january so I will miss most of the season butshould make it back for the finals. Hopefully we are there. But hell we do great when I am on deployment...expect for 2004...
mad.gif

WOW Kevin Duckworth died? I remember watching dude play for the blazers. Dude was a big body and a worker. I remember going to middle school with his nephew...damn... RIP

eyes.gif
laugh.gif
@ European fans/players
[h1]Comparing European and NBA travel calls[/h1]
August 26, 2008

For some reason, many Europeans - especially Spanish players - complained a lot about the referees not calling the U.S. traveling.

In some way, I really do understand both sides. Traveling in the NBA and the United States is not called the same way as it is called in the Euroleague and Europe. It looks like both sides just do not know better and do not understand why the other is so upset. To defend the US continent, NCAA and FIBA rules are almost the same, while the NBA just has a few minor changes.

During my trip to the U.S. this past summer (yes, summer is almost over!), I followed the US team's pre-Olympic games as well as the Olympics. Before every game, the commentators talked about the differences between FIBA and NBA rules, such as the size of the court and even the size of the ball, but they never explained the important thing: TRAVELING.

Time to bring some light into the darkness of those made/missing travel calls! (Watch out where you click to start the video - the middle button is advertising. To start the video, click the left corner)

Here are the essentials of FIBA and NBA rules for traveling:
The NBA/WNBA rule is a little more liberal than the current NCAA and FIBA rules when a player is coming to a stop. The NBA/WNBA rule is identical to the pre-1994 FIBA rule; in essence, once you have come to a legal stop, you always have a foot to pivot with. NCAA and current FIBA rules can leave a player without a pivot foot. As well, if you land with a staggered stop (i.e. one foot, then the other, with one foot clearly in front of the other), the back foot is the pivot foot in NBA/WNBA. In NCAA/FIBA, the first foot to touch is the pivot.

Sounds easy right?

Here comes the problem: Why did the referees not make these calls in Beijing? It is obvious that at the Olympics, the teams have to play with FIBA rules, and that TEAM USA HAD to travel just because they are used to different rules. When you play basketball every day, you are not thinking about your steps - you just know them - so Team USA really had to travel, just because they do it - according to FIBA rules, of course - every single day in NBA games.

In case you don't believe me - just watch this video where we have proof of travel:

We know now, that Team USA did travel at least 5-10 times a game, but the referees did not call it, but would that have changed the outcome of the Olympics? I don't think so.

Still, why did the referees not make those calls? Any referee in a 5th division team in Europe would have made the calls that you saw in the video. I just hope there wasn't any "higher" influence.

Originally Posted by tupac003

eek.gif

He will probably miss the lay up any way...
roll.gif

I hope lamar steps his game up. I don't want to see us trade them away. Really sucks. I am deploying in january so I will miss most of the season but should make it back for the finals. Hopefully we are there. But hell we do great when I am on deployment...expect for 2004...
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Damn, let us know when you are leaving so that we can take out the car flags
tongue.gif
just playing.

[h2]Monta Out 3 To 4Months With Ankle Injury[/h2]
Ellis_Monta_gsw_080404.jpg

Aug 27, 2008 3:04 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
Monta Elliswill be out for at least three months, possibly four, after suffering a severe high ankle sprain in Jackson, Mississippi, his hometown.

Ellis was scheduled to undergo surgery on his left ankle in Alabama on Wednesday, according to team sources.

Ellis signed a six-year, $66 million contract extension from the Warriors just a few weeks ago.

Via ESPN

Golden State Warriors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

Wow! Thats a big lose.
Monta just got that contract extension and he was suppose to be the starting PG for the Warriors this year
now who are they gonna use for the first 2 months of the season..
smh.gif

frown.gif

It's gonna be real tough the first few months of the season trying to keep pace. Just gotta hope other players can step up and provide scoring(shouldn't be a problem), but our fast break game is going to suffer a LOT.

Originally Posted by tupac003

eek.gif

He will probably miss the lay up any way..
roll.gif

I hope lamar steps his game up. I don't want to see us trade them away. Really sucks. I am deploying in january so I will miss most of the season but should make it back for the finals. Hopefully we are there. But hell we do great when I am on deployment...expect for 2004...
mad.gif
laugh.gif
The sad sad truth
smh.gif

[h1]STEPH: YA GETTIN' IN THE JET?[/h1]August 27, 2008 --

MAYBE Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury should have consulted Sean Combs before he bought himself a private jet. Marbury - in the last year of his Knicks contract, which will pay him another $21 million - is said to have plunked down about $45 million for the aircraft. But Combs, who already owns a jet, isn't using it because fuel costs have skyrocketed. The hip-hop mogul explains on Diddy Blog No. 12, which he videotaped in an airline terminal before boarding a commercial flight, "Gas prices are too mother[bleep]ing high," Combs says, wearing an off-kilter Yankees cap. "I've been flying back and forth to LA pursuing my acting career. If I fly back and forth twice a month, that's like $250,000 round trip. [Bleep] that! I'm back on American Airlines now . . . and I'm in coach!"

[h2]Warriors' EllisUndergoes Successful Surgery[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 3:51 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
Golden StateWarriors' guard Monta Ellis, who suffered a Grade 3 high ankle sprain, a torn deltoid ligament, and a syndesmosis disruption of his left ankle lastThursday, underwent successful surgery today to repair the ligament and will be sidelined a minimum of three-plus months, announced today. Ellis informed theteam that he suffered the injury while working out in his hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Angus McBryde of the Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham,Alabama.

Ellis, 22, is expected to have the ankle immobilized for approximately six (6) weeks and spend approximately the following six (6)weeks undergoing off-court rehabilitation. Based on his progress, the 6'3" guard will be cleared to begin on-court rehabilitation after the successfulconclusion of the first two steps in the process. A potential return date (to play) cannot be estimated until the initial 12-week period iscompleted.

A three-year NBA veteran, Ellis averaged a career-high 20.2 points (25th in NBA) and shot .531 from the floor (14th in NBA) lastseason.

Via Press Release

Golden State Warriors

"For some reason, many Europeans - especially Spanish players - complained a lot about the referees not calling the U.S. traveling."

Not some reason, the reason was they lost... And the US team DEFINITELY wasn't the only one getting away with the traveling or anything else.

I almost threw a few brews at the tv for the lack of fouls called. I mean, one time MG 2-hand shoved Melo in the back under the board (a Euro box out Isuppose), to get a rebound and putback. And it wasn't just in the US games. I saw plenty of games where they just swallowed the whistle for a whole half,then called fouls for just looking at someone funny in the other half. Anyway, FIBA officials are just bad...

DWade travels everytime he touches the ball. Guess we already forgot about him leading the touney in travels in 2006

Golden State guard Monta Ellis will be sidelined for at least three months after severely spraining his ankle during an offseason workout, forcing the Warriors to start the season without the player expected to lead their restructured roster this fall. Ellis, who got a six-year contract extension worth $66 million on July 24, sprained his ankle and tore a deltoid ligament while working out in his hometown of Jackson, Miss., last Thursday, said Chris Mullin, the Warriors' top basketball executive. AP/Houston Chronicle

Ellis underwent surgery Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala., to repair the ligament, and returned to the Bay Area later in the day. Ellis' ankle will be immobilized for six weeks, followed by at least six weeks of off-court rehabilitation before the guard can return to basketball workouts. AP/Houston Chronicle

"He's one of our main guys, but we don't think it's a season-ending injury,'' Mullin said. "The time frame, it fluctuates, but hopefully with his youth - and he's been pretty durable and resilient to injury - hopefully he does get back (soon). "With the offseason moves we made, hopefully we can still play at a high level this year. To me, it's more something that you look at as a challenge, and you don't let it defeat you, you deal with it.'' AP/Houston Chronicle

In Ellis' absence, new point guard Marcus Williams is likely to get the first chance to run Nelson's show. Golden State acquired Williams in a trade with New Jersey last month to be Ellis' backup. Williams, the former UConn star entering his third NBA campaign, averaged 5.9 points and 2.6 assists in 53 games with the Nets last season. AP/Houston Chronicle

With two spots still to fill, it is not too late for the Lakers to strongly consider bringing in unrestricted free agent guard Shaun Livingston, who has been rounding into training camp shape at Tim Grover's Attack Athletics training facility in Chicago. If Livingston indeed will be healthy enough to play this season - as Grover vowed to me last week he would - then Livingston would be a asset to whichever NBA team signs him. Orange County Register

During his conference call with local media today, Chris Mullin (answering a question from my man Tim Kawakami) told reporters the Warriors will be going to look at Shaun Livingston in Chicago tomorrow. He said the workout was scheduled long before the Warriors learned starting point guard Monta Ellis would be out for three months after today's knee surgery. Certainly, they will be looking on with much more intensity. Contra Costa Times

Mullin said as of this point, Marcus Williams is the starter. Which means C.J. Watson, who is non-guaranteed and needs to make the roster, is the No. 2. That's music to Watson's ears. "I'm ready for the opportunity," Watson said in a phone interview Wednesday. "I'm kinda sad that Monta got hurt. But this gives me an opportunity to prove myself to the coaches." Contra Costa Times

Mullin will travel to Chicago today to see former Clippers point guard Shaun Livingston work out, though that was scheduled weeks before Ellis got hurt. The free agent hasn't played since seriously injuring his left knee in a game Feb. 26, 2007. San Francisco Chronicle

Shaun Livingston turned down a one-year offer from the Clippers last month after the team renounced his rights to get out of a big contract earlier this summer. He only recently has been cleared for full-contact basketball. San Francisco Chronicle

In other news, a Miami newspaper has reported that center DJ Mbenga might re-sign with the Lakers but is hoping for a more lucrative deal with the Miami Heat. Mbenga played limited minutes last season after he signed with the Lakers as a backup after Andrew Bynum was injured Jan. 13. LA Daily News

The Lakers' signing Wednesday of their second-round draft pick, Joe Crawford, brings the number of players now under contract to 16. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has stated that the plan is to bring 18 players to training camp, which begins Sept. 30, at the Lakers' regular-season El Segundo practice facility. Orange County Register

Oregon officials say an autopsy shows former Portland Trail Blazers center Kevin Duckworth died when his enlarged heart failed. Duckworth died Monday at 44 on the Oregon coast, where he was on a goodwill tour for the team. AP/Boston Globe

If Dwyane Wade is as effective in the coming season as he was with the U.S. Olympic team, the Miami Heat could be in store for a sequel to Thursday's planned banner-raising ceremony at AmericanAirlines Arena. The Heat is set to unveil a banner in Wade's honor at a noon celebration in wake of the national team's gold-medal winning performance in Beijing. Miami Herald

Wade said his next mission is to lead the Heat back into title contention after a league-worst 15-67 finish last season. ''We have to come out of the gates early to make a statement, make a stand,'' Wade said of the rebuilding Heat, which opens training camp Sept. 27. ``There are going to be some teams on paper a lot better than us. We have to fight.'' Miami Herald

Responding to a fan question: Depending on what he would cost the Jazz, the addition of Ben Gordon would be a good one. He would certainly add defense-stretching shooting range to a team that, despite the presence of Memo Okur, Kyle Korver, C.J. Miles and Williams, could use more. Salt Lake Tribune

With Kirk Hinrich ($36.5 million, four years) and Andres Nocioni ($28 million, four years) also on the roster, Gordon's position as an apparently untouchable cornerstone has changed. So far, the Bulls' only attempt to re-sign him is tendering a $6.4 million qualifying offer. Gordon says he won't consider it, citing the six-year, $67 million contract young guard Monta Ellis got from Golden State as evidence he's worth worth far more. Salt Lake Tribune

If Jazz vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor and coach Jerry Sloan liked the idea of having Gordon on their team, they would have to come up with a deal that would intrigue the Bulls. Certainly, Andrei Kirilenko is Utah's most logical bargaining chip, and Chicago might be interested in him, although he plays a lot like Deng and Nocioni. It's possible the Bulls might feel they were duplicating talent by adding Kirilenko. Salt Lake Tribune

Utah would likely have an interest in Hinrich or Nocioni, but the Bulls were unwilling to part with either one when they had a chance to get Pau Gasol from Memphis last year. So I don't know if Gordon's unhappiness with his contract would change their thinking too much. Salt Lake Tribune

Chicago might consider throwing a young big man into a deal with Gordon, but neither Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah have proven themselves. I'm not sure the Jazz would have keen interest in either one. Salt Lake Tribune

[h2]Warriors Taking A Look AtLivingston[/h2]
Livingston_Shaun_lac_070108.jpg

Aug 28, 2008 9:35 AM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Warriorswere scheduled to take a look at free agent point guard Shaun Livingston in Chicago on Thursday, according to a report in Contra Costa Times.

Chris Mullin claims that the workout was scheduled before the Warriors learned that starting point guard Monta Ellis would be out forthree months after having knee surgery.

As of right now Marcus Williams will be Golden State's starter, with C.J. Watson the backup.

Via Contra Costa Times

Golden State Warriors,Los Angeles Clippers

[h2]Unveiling Of Oklahoma City's Team Name Set For Next Wednesday[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 6:46 PM EST

okc_40.gif
OklahomaCity's new NBA team will announce its name and unveil its look next week. The team's name, colors and logo will first appear on the team's websiteat 5:00 p.m. CT on Wednesday, September 3.

Via Press Release

Oklahoma City

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Australia's Mills Likes TheBulls[/h2]
Aug 28, 2008 9:40 AM EST

chi_40.gif
Australianpoint guard Patrick Mills says he hasn't been approached by an NBA teams, but if he could he'd pick the Chicago Bulls, according to ABCNews.

Mills was impressive for the national team in Beijing, finishing as the team's highest scorer. However, playing college basketballin the United States has limited his NBA opportunities.

"Me being at college kind of limits the contact you're allowed to have with NBA scouts, agents, managers that sort of thingso not yet," he said. "Any team in the NBA would be great but I would probably go with the Chicago Bulls."

Via ABC News

Chicago Bulls

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback BuyTickets

[h2]Coach K To Remain A Part OfTeam USA[/h2]
Aug 28, 2008 9:30 AM EST

nba_40.gif
Duke coach MikeKrzyzewski will continue to be a part of USA Basketball in the future after leading the Americans to the gold medal in Beijing, according toESPN.com.

Krzyzewski said Wednesday that he will continue to be involved in helping USA Basketball with the model that managing director JerryColangelo organized three years ago.

"It's a critical time to use the momentum we've gained over the past three years to make us even stronger inbasketball," Krzyzewski said.

Via ESPN

General Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Rod StricklandPromoted At University Of Memphis[/h2]
Aug 28, 2008 5:46 AM EST

ncaa_40.gif
FormerWizards' guard Rod Strickland has been promoted to director of basketball operations at the University of Memphis, the Associated Press isreporting.

Strickland, who had been director of student athlete development, succeeds Tyrone Weeks, now an assistant coach at Marist.

Via USA Today

NCAA Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Police:Duckworth Died Of Congestive Heart Failure[/h2]
Aug 28, 2008 5:44 AM EST

por_40.gif
An autopsy hasrevealed that former Portland center Kevin Duckworth died when his enlarged heart failed, the Associated Press is reporting.

Duckworth died Monday at the age of 44 on the Oregon coast, where he was on a goodwill tour for the team.

Oregon state police said Wednesday the autopsy was done by Dr. Larry Lewman, a state medical examiner, who concluded that Duckworthdied of "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with congestive heart failure."

Via ESPN

Portland Trail Blazers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Lakers Sign JoeCrawford[/h2]
Aug 28, 2008 5:38 AM EST

lal_40.gif
The Los AngelesLakers have signed guard Joe Crawford, announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Selected by the Lakers with the 58th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, Crawford, a 22 year-old native of Detroit, Michigan, played fourseasons at the University of Kentucky, averaging 11.3 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 1.5 assists in 127 games (76 starts).

Via Press Release

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Weaver Signed By OKC[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 7:34 PM EST

okc_40.gif
The OklahomaCity NBA franchise signed free agent guard Kyle Weaver to a multi-year contract it was announced today by the team's General Manager Sam Presti. Per teampolicy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Weaver, drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats with the 38th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, was acquired by Oklahoma Cityvia trade on August 11, 2008. "We're pleased to officially add Kyle to our roster," Presti said. "His defensive mentality and selflessapproach to the game are consistent with what we are working to establish in Oklahoma City."

Via Press Release

Oklahoma City

[h2]Blazers SignLuke Jackson, Two Other Free Agents[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 6:48 PM EST

por_40.gif
The TrailBlazers signed a trio of free agents on Wednesday, including forward Luke Jackson, as reported by Yahoo.com.

Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Jackson, a former lottery pick, has played in just 73 NBA games in his career. He was an All-American at Oregon, where he led theDucks to the Elite Eight in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.

The 26-year-old has played 27 games over the last three seasons with the Clippers, Raptors and Heat.

The Blazers also signed center Steven Hill and guard Jamaal Tatum.

Via yahoo.com

Portland Trail Blazers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]SonicsCentral Asked To Hand Over Information In Sonics' Cases[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 6:03 PM EST

okc_40.gif
Brian Robinson,who runs SonicsCentral.com, notified RealGM on Wednesday evening that he is not being sued by Clay Bennett as previously reported, but he wassubpoenaed.

'I got hit yesterday sitting in a meeting with my insurance company when a guy in a bright yellow shirt started hanging out, andeventually knocking on my conference room door. Right in the middle of the meeting I got the handoff and the "You've been served"line.

Robinson told RealGM that he was asked to turn over documentation relating to the Sonics as it relates to two ongoing cases

Via SonicsCentral.com

Oklahoma City

[h2]Alba Berlin Signs CaseyJacobsen[/h2]
Aug 27, 2008 4:31 PM EST

mem_40.gif
German championAlba Berlin signed free agent guard Casey Jacobsen to a contract on Wednesday, according to SLAM! Sports.

"Jacobsen has qualities that are going to be a big help to our ambitious plans," Berlin Coach Luka Pavicevic saidWednesday.

Jacobsen played for the Grizzlies last season but played for Bamberg in the German league two seasons ago when the club won thechampionship.

Via SLAM! Sports

Memphis Grizzlies

Back
Top Bottom