Slavery Apology

I was talking with my friend and she said that no head of state of any country has publicly apologized. I said no way. Is this true?

The US did like last yr. Google it though because I don't remember all of the details of what the resolution was called.

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

I was talking with my friend and she said that no head of state of any country has publicly apologized. I said no way. Is this true?

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

Why would they apologize? Did they enslave the people themselves?

You had to go there didn't you.

They are head of countries that supported slavery. I don't see why no leader has. Especially with such a tragic occurrence that still holds affects today.

To be fair heads of states (especially presidents) don't apologize for anything.

Originally Posted by Blacka2Hood

yo...i had to read twice.... i thought this thread said Slavery appreciation....whoa
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It would have been flame CENTRAL UP IN THIS MUG
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I would understand if the people that committed the acts were still alive today, then an apology is right

but

people who were not involved in the acts are not alive so why should some one take the blame?

Apologize as a country... maybe but it still seems pretty useless.

like blaming white people today for past acts, seems pretty unfair imo.

Like blaming the child of a murderer or something.....

then again I can be totally wrong...... someone can school me on this, open for opinions

The US has done a LOT of terrible things. Several apologies need to be made; I won't be holding my breath.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

They need to apologize to my man RiverxBear's people though for real.
Is he Native American? Because if so, they already did. That one came before the slavery one in fact

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

I would understand if the people that committed the acts were still alive today, then an apology is right

but

people who were not involved in the acts are not alive so why should some one take the blame?

then again I can be totally wrong...... someone can school me on this, open for opinions
I'm not gonna turn this into a race debate..... take that *@$ over to http://niketalk.com/topic/164302?page=1

But IMO its just a formal way of recognizing "Hey, we committed this atrocity to people and built a nation on free labor. That was kinda effed up."I'm not going to get into my personal beliefs because its unnecessary and at the end of the day, not going to change anything on a sneaker board.

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

but

i agree that white people should not be blamed. i am white however my family just came to this country in the 1920's way after slavery hadended.

laugh.gif
It has nothing to do with blaming white people, you dudes are dense
laugh.gif

Here's a copy and paste of the one for Native Americans. It is just text, there's no actual laws or policies that piggyback off of it so why evenbother being perturbed about it? It's not like it says, We're sorry so here's a million bucks. It is just an acknowledgement and apology on behalfof the country in admittance that certain segments of the population were not treated fairly throughout the existence of the United States.

All that happened was it passes, some prominent member of that population takes a picture with somebody from the Government as a symbol and life goes on.Nothing actually changes from the day before it was passed to the day after

Brownback continued, "Our nation's relationship with the Native peoples of this land is an issue that is very important to the health of the United States. For too much of our history, Federal-Tribal relations have been marked by broken treaties, mistreatment, and dishonorable dealings. We can acknowledge our past failures, express sincere regrets, and establish a brighter future for all Americans.

"This amendment does not diminish the valiance of our American soldiers who fought bravely for their families in wars between the United States and a number of the Indian Tribes. Nor does this amendment cast the blame for the various battles on one side or another. What this apology does do is recognize and honor the importance of Native Americans to this land and to our nation - in the past and today - and offers this apology to Native peoples for the poor and painful choices our government sometimes made to disregard its solemn word. Hopefully, this apology will help restore the relationship between the United States and Native Americans.

It's funny how resistant white people are to accepting any sort of generalization, when nobody else was involved in the perpetuation of such heinous actsagainst black and red people, against them yet are the first to do so against other groups, even in their defense of being resistant to admit any white personever did anything wrong. Look at how every reply to anything remotely race related turns into well you black people just complain.

And if it matters, I'm Italian so yes I'm blanco.

I mean we can't blame this one on the blacks and illegal Mexicans. But I guess we can do our damnedest to try to red herring the argument into a criticismagainst the non white groups and blaiming the victim, since our nation was built on that. It's similar to when a female is sexually assaulted and peoplesay, "well look how she's dressed, she wanted it."

Originally Posted by donfratrachelli

It's funny how resistant white people are to accepting any sort of generalization, when nobody else was involved in the perpetuation of such heinous acts against black and red people, against them yet are the first to do so against other groups, even in their defense of being resistant to admit any white person ever did anything wrong. Look at how every reply to anything remotely race related turns into well you black people just complain.

And if it matters, I'm Italian so yes I'm blanco.

I mean we can't blame this one on the blacks and illegal Mexicans. But I guess we can do our damnedest to try to red herring the argument into a criticism against the non white groups and blaiming the victim, since our nation was built on that. It's similar to when a female is sexually assaulted and people say, "well look how she's dressed, she wanted it."
hmmm you alright with me don...you alright.

Originally Posted by archnoobie

Originally Posted by Blacka2Hood

yo...i had to read twice.... i thought this thread said Slavery appreciation....whoa
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It would have been flame CENTRAL UP IN THIS MUG
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
But slavery taught us morals and values. Plus it kept us in line
roll.gif

apology for slavery? are you kidding me? yeah it was horrible it happened, but if it didn't most of you wouldn't even be here.. and besides, africanssold their enemies to the white man, so who is there to blame?

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

apology for slavery? are you kidding me? yeah it was horrible it happened, but if it didn't most of you wouldn't even be here.. and besides, africans sold their enemies to the white man, so who is there to blame?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

apology for slavery? are you kidding me? yeah it was horrible it happened, but if it didn't most of you wouldn't even be here.. and besides, africans sold their enemies to the white man, so who is there to blame?
Orly? Thank you ever so kindly for taking us out of the horrible jungle and having only a few million of us die in transit. To a country foundedupon principles of freedom, but denying those same principles to those who are only "3/5th's of a person".
It's been well-documented that slavery in the New World was WAY different than slavery in Africa. Plus, this slavery was based on color and the fact thatafricans were sub-human, not because they lost a war or anything.
And by the way, I'd probably be here without slavery

Back
Top Bottom