Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

SHAMU 12s? REALLY? REALLY? 
indifferent.gif

mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  @90s babies

The "Space Jam" release is when it began. It went downhill from there. Stupid kids messed it all up hyping up every release and the Older heads that really care about the shoe and the history of it lose. All these stupid nick names and other BS makes me sick. I also wish they'd Go back to releasing them on Wednesdays lol. They'll be in school so EASY COP

Originally Posted by DMoney82

The "Space Jam" release is when it began. It went downhill from there. Stupid kids messed it all up hyping up every release and the Older heads that really care about the shoe and the history of it lose. All these stupid nick names and other BS makes me sick. I also wish they'd Go back to releasing them on Wednesdays lol. They'll be in school so EASY COP

damn I actually remember Jordans being released on WED! haha

Jordan Wednesdays!.. Ditch 1st period and come back to class rocking latest J's... ILL... I miss how the only way you can see the newest pair of Jordans would either be getting a glimpse of em from the man himself @ the All Star game (analog TV lol) or when heads go back to class on Jordan Wednesdays... Honestly yea the Internet killed it... Also when Jordan became it's own brand and started "team Jordans" I felt a bit uneasy..

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Yes I said it. Agree or disagree? All these line ups, marked up prices with bad quality, limited hyperquickstrikes, re-sellers, and bandwagon idiots killed it along with all the stupid sneaker cakes, sneaker gas mask, Galaxy, elephant print, glow in the dark, on EVERYTHING is dead. I don't wanna stick around and find out what happens in the future... Gone are the good ol days and those who are 30 years old or older can relate.

24.... but I agree on most. Will never be entirely *dead* like others have said

Originally Posted by bigsupa

NOW THAT I COPPED MY SHAMU 12'S AND OREO SPACE JAM 11'S I AM GOOD. I PROB RETIRE THIS AFTER I COP 3 PAIRS OF THE WHITE DMP PACK, BLACK MARS 4'S, THE YANKEE 6'S, THE OLYMPIC HARE 7'S, THE BLACKOUT BORDEAUX'S, THE PENNY 9'S AND THE ARMY 9'S

Spoiler [+]
THESE ARE ALL NICKNAMES I HAVE HEARD PPL USE...SMH AND THIS IS I AM RETIRING!

BUT THIS IS MY LAST YEAR SO I WILL BE GOING OUT ON TOP!

wow

there's nothing else i can say but
wow

Originally Posted by JumpmanPro97

I remember growing up, all the older heads went missing on Wed 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by JumpmanPro97

I remember growing up, all the older heads went missing on Wed 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah and even if you werent first to rock them at school you could still go later that same day at any point before closing and cop ANY release no problem, its resellers that are killing it. Back in the day you never heard of someone selling their shoes the same day they got them or at all for that matter, its a joke and until people stop paying crazy prices for GR shoes its never going to stop.

If Nike were to produce/manufacture enough for everyone and stop with the limited releases then the resellers would be gone because everyone can purchase the shoes at retail prices. And also line ups/camp outs would cease to exsist. Nike are you reading this?

If Nike were to produce/manufacture enough for everyone and stop with the limited releases then the resellers would be gone because everyone can purchase the shoes at retail prices. And also line ups/camp outs would cease to exsist. Nike are you reading this?

They love da hype though....if not ya would be here wondering "why they still on da shelves..jordans is fallin off"

Word for Word...This This and This.

People running the business at Nike are a "little" smarter than you when it comes to running a worldwide leader in the athletic footwear and apparel...just sayin'

Advice from a nameless/faceless person on an Internet message board devoted to "*****ing and complaining"...errrr..."collecting" sneakers probably isn't going to go far...

Where is the thread about Jordan Brand dying this week?  I must have missed it in the "Playoffs 12's sold out in minutes" thread? 
laugh.gif

JM

I wanna weigh in but my People have spoken. Im 28 and I am embarrassed at all the tomfoolery that i see at these releases now. Being a grown man and having to abide by some punk !#* mall cop telling me he will "86 me if i don't take my hood off because its mall policy now" kills me. Some other dude threw his coffee on the ground because they sold out of his size when he was 4th in line. I saw a kid cop a pair of playoffs, take em out the box, and lick em..........C'MON SON!

This is just embarrassing and needs to be dealt with.

Originally Posted by CWUDREW

I saw a kid cop a pair of playoffs, take em out the box, and lick em..........C'MON SON!

This is just embarrassing and needs to be dealt with.

DYING!!!!!!

i remember going as far back as the 80's when dudes were collecting here in nyc.. now collecting back then was kind of similar to now where you kept one fresh in the box and you had another pair to go out with. now those "collectors" were your good ol drug dealers.  it wasn't until late 88 early 89 where I would walk in and say "dam let me get a pair of 4's but the 3's  2's and 1's were still around on the shelves... so i would pic up all 3 pairs. officially to me, and my own opinion sneaker collecting came about  when nike started retroing the 1's and 2's 3's in the mid 90's.this is what fuled me to collect even more...when i say officially I mean collecting for the average joe, not your local drug dealer. now of course it's not the same.. very few people collect because they love the shoe, or because it reminds them of their child hood. and this can be any sneaker from any company, not just nike... however, Nike saw the flop of all retro 1,2,3 mike came back and collecting died. fast forward to niketalk mike just retired and everybody started collecting again.  my whole point is this. collecting should not be for profit, or who has the biggest collection etc. people now a day's see dollar signs when they see a limited edition shoe, and that's horrible..and this is why in the future nike will be charging 200 for cheaply made retro's. long gone is the love for anything. sorry kids i am old school and I don't listen to new school hip hop..just because i don't feel the love that these guys have for their music..they just see dollar signs. it's all about the mighty dollar.!
tired.gif

i left one thing out..when I said I saw the 3's 2's and 1's still on the shelves is not because they didn't sell out, but because if any of these kicks sold out.the store owner would order more kicks and get another shipment in... wonder why you can get on ebay and buy vintage kicks? because nike used to overly mass produce kicks... i remember when Sears sold the air jordan 1. it was like i was in heaven looking at al of those blk/ and red boxes. let me not forget to add when in sears with my mom and bought the low top metallic blue 1's for 17.99. 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by BIGBEN1986

now of course it's not the same.. very few people collect because they love the shoe, or because it reminds them of their child hood. and this can be any sneaker from any company, not just nike... however, Nike saw the flop of all retro 1,2,3 mike came back and collecting died. fast forward to niketalk mike just retired and everybody started collecting again.  my whole point is this. collecting should not be for profit, or who has the biggest collection etc. people now a day's see dollar signs when they see a limited edition shoe, and that's horrible..and this is why in the future nike will be charging 200 for cheaply made retro's. long gone is the love for anything. sorry kids i am old school and I don't listen to new school hip hop..just because i don't feel the love that these guys have for their music..they just see dollar signs. it's all about the mighty dollar.!
tired.gif
and that's really what I think this thread is about, as well as a few other things. It's been said time and time again and I think it's true...for most people these days it doesn't seem to be about the sneakers, but about the status/hype and the profit. This, in turn, leads to higher prices for lower quality (because they'll sell anyway).  

Bombbiggidyph Tanks for understanding. of course I'm from a completely different era, and I kind of understand where these kids are coming from. but in the end.hype should not get to them. the love for what ever they do should!

It's not dead, it will never die for those that truly collect shoes.
I've been buying sneakers heavy since I got my first paycheck back in 1997.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

All these shenanigans nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

I miss it, it isn't dead, but definitely taking a hiatus for now.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

THE FREAKING TRUTH! 

THE PAXSON 3 POINTER my brother ran out the house and said once YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! we wake up the next day to our neighbor knocking on our door that their grandfather was taken to the E.R because he heard some one scream YEAHHHHHHH!!!!  poor grandpa caught a neck spasm
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It's not dead, it will never die for those that truly collect shoes.
I've been buying sneakers heavy since I got my first paycheck back in 1997.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

All these shenanigans nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

I miss it, it isn't dead, but definitely taking a hiatus for now.

QMFT!!!I'm 27 later this year. And I have clear memories of titles 3-6. The earlier ones are a bit fuzzy but I was watching bball. Our generation has a clear connection to the kicks. These young kids have wale and instagram. Fake hype. I saw a dude that was at my local HOH grand opening a few months after the opening. He was like "im out of the game, i sold my collection and just wear vans now". Dudes like 18. He exemplifies the youth "sneakerhead": a PHASE.

Back
Top Bottom