Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

theres still real collectors but 99% of them arent in no line most of them dont even buy from jb or nike anymore but as far as the new collectors there all kids that know nothing with no respect or sense of history so ##%@ the followers no love ....

blind leading the blind ....

Originally Posted by Bombbiggidyphil

laugh.gif
 just imagining that. poor gramps.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

It's not dead, it will never die for those that truly collect shoes.
I've been buying sneakers heavy since I got my first paycheck back in 1997.

That being said, I am definitely taking a major timeout.  Passing on the "Playoff" XII's was hard 'cause I truly like the shoe and have a pristine pair in the closet that I don't want touching the ground (too fresh).  I wanted to get a pair for the summer but the hassle is just too much right now.

Sorry, I know the kids in this section of the forum are going to get their panties in a bunch over what I'm going to say but the only reason kids 20 and under are scooping up these kicks are because of hype, they want to be part of the crowd... nothing more.  So @*%* your made up nostalgia stories about this and that.  It's all hype, 'cause you have no real connection to watching MJ play in his prime.

If you are 22 and below, you were born when Jordan made his first title run against the Lakers so there is no way you remember that or the first three peat.  You were 3 years old when Jordan held that trophy tight after Paxson hit that three to beat the Suns and that years MVP....Charles Barkley.  You were 3 when MJ said he was giving up basketball to pursue baseball.  I remember crying when he retired the first time, and almost beat my cousins %%+ when he sold the 91' Upper Deck Card of MJ swinging a bat.  You were 5 when MJ said "I'm Back" and returned with the "45" on his back.  Finally, you were 8 when Jordan sank that shot against the Jazz and called it quits once again.

So congrats, you remember MJ as a Wizard and caught the rest of his highlights of ripped DVD's.

I have a lot of respect for people who collect sneakers, fondly remember the days the second round of retro's started dropping in '99.  Standing in line was simply showing up to a shoe spot 20-30 minutes early.  Chilling in the car, see the manager show up so everyone would get in line 10-15 minutes before the store opened.  Shoot the $%## (it was usually the same group of people 
smokin.gif
), talk about MJ and the next release.  Buy 1 or 2 pairs, get some breakfast and call it a day.

All these shenanigans nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
.  ALL HYPE!!!

I miss it, it isn't dead, but definitely taking a hiatus for now.

So well said...

You know what I thought of when browsing this post?

People with 9-10 pairs of the LeBron IX. IT'S THE SAME SHOE!!!

Honestly it's amazing. I feel bad having WC/BC III's, I can't even imagine having 9 pairs of the same fricken shoe.

It's pretty bad....they're still producing products people buy so you can't say its completely dead but the quality of the sneakers are not the same and they cost more and are harder to get...I'd rather surf ebay and pay extra for the OGs rather than camp out and risk getting rob for some new limited bull *+%+

Originally Posted by CWUDREW

I wanna weigh in but my People have spoken. Im 28 and I am embarrassed at all the tomfoolery that i see at these releases now. Being a grown man and having to abide by some punk %#% mall cop telling me he will "86 me if i don't take my hood off because its mall policy now" kills me. Some other dude threw his coffee on the ground because they sold out of his size when he was 4th in line. I saw a kid cop a pair of playoffs, take em out the box, and lick em..........C'MON SON!

This is just embarrassing and needs to be dealt with.

removing the hood? some trayvon stuff, the hell is happening these days?

damn the dude threw his coffee on the floor
laugh.gif
good for him

I'm 32 and I was personally there when the J's dropped the first time... all of them. While the market may have shifted, it doesn't take away my devout love for retro J's. Regardless the appeal of a retro and or availability, that will never change my personal taste or belief that the sneaker game is stronger than it's ever been. Never forget, those of us 30+ created this monster!

Although sneakers are harder to cop because of the people who don't truly care for the game are all over them, the quality has diminished.. True sneakerheads know this but it seems to not be a problem for the ones who are in it for the fad... Hopefully once the fad ends, the shoe game & collectors don't go with it...

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by CWUDREW

I saw a kid cop a pair of playoffs, take em out the box, and lick em..........C'MON SON!

This is just embarrassing and needs to be dealt with.

DYING!!!!!!

Licking the bottom of sneakers ? What's the world coming too ???

I remember being in school and one person might have the new jordans and it was like "yoooo he got the new jordans!!!!" You were like thr MAN if you had em, nowdays its more like " you didnt get these?" Also smh at retros costing more than the shoe did when it first came out. Nike knows.

I think true collectors will "always" collect.The resellers , hypebeast will eventually move on, but true collectors will always collect with a passion.With all the heat that's dropped in the past 2-3 yrs, I'm cutting back after the oylmpic VI's.Only a few to go before a take a long break.

not dead just missing love, 'collecting' for profit seems to be the game, personal style should never have been meant to be an investment or a means to make a buck

Originally Posted by sckid20

I remember being in school and one person might have the new jordans and it was like "yoooo he got the new jordans!!!!" You were like thr MAN if you had em, nowdays its more like " you didnt get these?" Also smh at retros costing more than the shoe did when it first came out. Nike knows.

I tell people  that all the time, they've almost become Air Force Ones in terms of seeing people with a pair
laugh.gif
I'm 24 and I've been thinking (especially after the Cement IV's) that the farther we get away from Jordan playing the less it's about nostalgia/seeing him play in said shoe/remembering what he did in said shoe. It's more of a fashion/status statement, even though Jordan's were both fashion and status in the prime of his career/their production, the hype now is based little on Jordan himself and more about pop culture IMO. Like everybody said before me true collectors/those passionate about shoes will still collect/buy what they want.

kinda agree. bad quality and very high prices has allowed me to stay away and these off the wall colors as well.
i will only settle on a true color retro nike and jordan. other than that, no thanks. i rather spend money on my son.

age  5 - unc title shot (don't remember, was barely into baseball at that age)
age  9 - AJ1 releases (didn't cop, had no idea)
age 11- 1988 slam dunk contest (had the og wht/cement 3's)
age 14 - mj first nba title (had the og blk-infrared 6's)
age 21 - mj last shot, bulls 6th '90's title (my nba & sneaker interests had already peaked years before)

jb went down a slippery slope with the gradual, slow incremental reductions in quality
now where they goin
gimmie the joints you had to make good on or else they wouldn't sell with that nike air on da heel , yo

kiddies askin "which one, which one? should i get/sell/trade/up my ante on?please help, i must know the secrets"

As I've gotten older, I tend to care less about whether I get them or not. I never stand in line, never camped, and I never have gotten up early for a release. I only buy online at midnight. If I don't get them...so what. I have a pretty solid collection, but have been selling some recently. I'm too old to worry THAT much about sneakers. Besides, camping is for youngsters, and cats with light wallets. If I miss out, I just buy them after at reseller prices...whatever.

The only time I have ever been upset was with the Concord release, because that was absolutely insane, and even that was just for a few minutes until I realized I was upset over a pair of sneakers.

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

You know what I thought of when browsing this post?

People with 9-10 pairs of the LeBron IX. IT'S THE SAME SHOE!!!

Honestly it's amazing. I feel bad having WC/BC III's, I can't even imagine having 9 pairs of the same fricken shoe.

But why. When you enjoy a shoe you buy it. A favorite shoe some buy 2. A favorite model comes in a few colors even better..I'm relatively young but even when aqua 8 dropped, it was up at 9 home by 10. Even white cement 3 it was so easy. But as long as I can afford them I'll keep buying

sneaker collecting will never die as long as our country's economy further collapses. ive been in the game since i was in middle school (and was obsessed as a kid, but my parents really couldnt afford what i wanted until middle school when id pay half for them and them the other half). There was no such thing as resellers. You got what you could afford when it came out, and if you were lucky, the shoe would still be there months later and youd be able to cop for the low. thats impossible now due to resellers/ all the sneaker websites out right now. Its like anything else that is popular or has a monetary value, people will try to profit off of it.

I dont know why we are complaining about this, if you look at the price of the OG's and other quality pre-2008 releases you can get them for less than what the beasts are reselling for. so instead of complaining about the quality and the hypebeast sellouts of today go on ebay or the buy sell forum and get some quality for probably less money. The new retros arent worth getting to begin with and of course there are exceptions (finding 2001 olympic 6s for under 200 is impossible) but for the most part we are complaining for no reason. Let the non-OG hypbeasts eat themselves to death and then after a few years the game should "reset" itself and possibly calm down to a tollerable pace.

Originally Posted by green rhino123

& the other highlight for me:

1992 olympic gold medal run (bird, jordan & magic & bark-tree on one team!)
I remember watching that olympics when I was in 6th grade, those guys were rockstars haha all the opponents wanted to take pictures with them and get their autographs!  You won't see opponents doing that these days.

Originally Posted by Dimelo

Lol I love the threads that salty people who couldn't cop their pair come out with every release

seriously^ ... times have changed, sorry the "30 plus year olds" are so mad at the game..but nothing stays the same forever bro

Back
Top Bottom