Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

Originally Posted by TheprinceofDE

Even though I don't like what the sneaker culture has become thats not going to stop me from being involved in something that I really have passion for.

I remember being in high school and not being as fortunate as others to wear jordan's but I damn sure could tell the ones who had them what they were wearing even when they couldn't. So as I grew older and was able to get my money up its been a go from there.

Im not going to turn my back on it because I know its not dead and that the re-selling and the line ups will eventually pass with time. People really fail to realize how expensive this habit really is and when their money dries up there will be nothing left they can do except let things go back to the way they used to be.
Edit: And if means anything I'm 23 so its not like I'm an old head
That's the most clever thing I've seen from you since I joined this forum. Props to you. You must be highly respected on this forum cause what you said was exactly what I was thinking but yet since I'm a noob on here they don't seem to get my message as clear as they get yours. Props to you man.

I've been able to unload a lot of my collection for a decent gain. I'm pretty glad the market is still hot for sneakers.

Originally Posted by AirJaiden

Originally Posted by TheprinceofDE

Even though I don't like what the sneaker culture has become thats not going to stop me from being involved in something that I really have passion for.

I remember being in high school and not being as fortunate as others to wear jordan's but I damn sure could tell the ones who had them what they were wearing even when they couldn't. So as I grew older and was able to get my money up its been a go from there.

Im not going to turn my back on it because I know its not dead and that the re-selling and the line ups will eventually pass with time. People really fail to realize how expensive this habit really is and when their money dries up there will be nothing left they can do except let things go back to the way they used to be.
Edit: And if means anything I'm 23 so its not like I'm an old head
That's the most clever thing I've seen from you since I joined this forum. Props to you. You must be highly respected on this forum cause what you said was exactly what I was thinking but yet since I'm a noob on here they don't seem to get my message as clear as they get yours. Props to you man.

Damn, you only 23?
I'm 22. Thought you was older for some reason.

Anyways, props to you.

smokin.gif

sneaker collecting isn't a fad as long as you buy what you like and not what people are hyping up like these youngin's out there. i stopped around 2007 but if there are some good releases i might cop but the prices went up and quality has went down drastically

ive already thrown in the towel, already started to only buy older releases. sneakers, especially jordans are just going down the drain, both and quality quantity.

It's ain't dead and it won't ever die. There will always be dudes that do it just fit in and jump on the bandwagon or the dudes that do it cause they really like the shoes and understand the history. I just shake my head and laugh when I hear these 17 year olds give shoes new nicknames but that's not gonna stop me from getting anything I like. I only been buying certain pairs for the last 2 years anyway.

Been collecting 13yrs... Would've been 18yrs but couldn't afford 94 retros Jordans.. But always always always loved Nike Air since visible air bubbles.. Always will...

I don't necessarily think its dead. Just no longer enjoyable. When I have to take time out of my day to go camp for a GR something is wrong. It's pathetic almost. I've never looked at camping as a burden until recently. Hell, I enjoyed camping at one point. Seeing all the various heat at the camps, networking and meeting people who actually understand why we do what we do as sneakerheads. I'm 9 years in and have never been so distraught at the state of the game as I am now.

Originally Posted by devildoc76

Originally Posted by Tipsy

Originally Posted by MJ All Day45

You are exactly what we are talking about, you have NO LOVE for the game. You just a young punk tryna be cool and make a quick buck
mad.gif
...please never post again.
Lol quick buck
roll.gif
?Ive been collecting shoes since 05, this aint no fad to me. I still have 30+ pairs of shoes i sold all of my JAYS not all of my shoes, you dudes act like there aren't any sneakers outside of jays. So its okay for you old people to take a break from Jays, but since we are young, we dont love it and are resellers...oh okay.And if i was a young punk trying to be cool dont you think i would still have all my jays,because you know that is the in thing now. You sound dumb. Basically its our fault because we weren't born in the 70's 
laugh.gif
 and you all are the originators and a new generation cant possibly love the shoes. Cant wait til yal old cats are in your 50s and 60s maybe this forum will be good like it used to be. I stay out of JB forum because i know its a fad now, and old cats all aways talking $%&#.

If you aren't a re-seller, and you love MJ, or his sneakers, and have been collecting since '05, why sell? And then look to return after the "fad" dies down?...... Nobody called you out earlier in this thread, you threw out "old guys" and put yourself out there. You don't have to be born in the 70's or 80's to enjoy Mikes legacy. I can't fault you for when you were born either. But here's what I do know. Youve been collecting since '05? So you were like 12, maybe 13? Come on dunn....with what job holding you down?...... I got insoles older than you. Now you're on a hiatus? What was your sole intention when you bought you're J's? Were you planning on wearing them, or let em sit and just say you have them ? You love the sneakers right? Then why let your peers determine whether you should sell or keep your J's. You're your own man. Ive got many OGs that I've had since Mikes playing days. I've got only 5 retros, 4 first run retros (pre 2001) and the CDP Hare 7s. I wear my OGs quite frankly because they're still in great condition. I'm not dropping more money on sneakers I already have, but that's me......Now you got young cats complaining about the price hike, and why cant they be priced like they were back in 1995. If you're still in your teens, how the hell would you know what grown man sneakers cost when you were a toddler? All in all, you may have beef with the old heads and how they view CERTAIN young cats, not all. Well, one day you'll come to this crossroad when LeBron and Kobe's are being retroed and some kid who still has milk on his breath, sounds the same way you do. Old fools used to be young fools.For the record I'm 35, and I don't talk that $&@$ as you say....... I'm battle hardened for real and I walk that $&@&!
I understand what you are saying, but when that day comes i wont go bashing dude especially when they say they have been collecting. And i dont understand what you all dont get about that statement. Hypebeast are still in the game sucking up every J that is released camping for 13+ hours for GRs. Thats not for me thats OD i'll return when everything goes back to how it used to be when i first started. Im almost 20 i dont have time for that !%#.
Yal dudes are clowns on some real $#@! , i dont sit on the computer all day posting which is my post count is low, id rather read which is what ive been doing since 05. NT is what helped me fall in love with the shoe game once the chambray 7s dropped. I sold them because i am a college student that needed money. Money > Jays that can easily be copped again once i graduate. I really dont have to explain +%@! to any of you dudes. And yes you are right i was 13 when i started collecting i wore all of my jays. The main issue yal old cats have is that you cant walk in and out of the store to buy Jays like you used to be able to do in the 90s and you cant fathom the fact that SOME people in the younger generation actually do love the game. Get over it times have changed. You all have fun complaining NT should make a section for 35 and up so you all can #$@!@ and moan all day long 
laugh.gif
. I wont be returning to this thread because yal just gonna keep hollering hypebeast, so be it 
roll.gif

Sweety...you just did try and explain yourself. You should have just left it and this thread alone. I'm going to address you anymore. PS edit your post...

Originally Posted by jslimm1985

I don't necessarily think its dead. Just no longer enjoyable. When I have to take time out of my day to go camp for a GR something is wrong. It's pathetic almost. I've never looked at camping as a burden until recently. Hell, I enjoyed camping at one point. Seeing all the various heat at the camps, networking and meeting people who actually understand why we do what we do as sneakerheads. I'm 9 years in and have never been so distraught at the state of the game as I am now.

I hope you see this...I just graduated...it doesn't get any easier to cop. Matter fact...it's harder....bills, responsibilities, job security. If you love the game, you love it. You have a long way to go in life and have to learn to pick your battles. Also something that comes after college...the ability to eloquently write out your thoughts so that others can properly comprehend what your trying to say. God Bless.

I'm 25 btw

Originally Posted by sckid20

I remember being in school and one person might have the new jordans and it was like "yoooo he got the new jordans!!!!" You were like thr MAN if you had em, nowdays its more like " you didnt get these?" Also smh at retros costing more than the shoe did when it first came out. Nike knows.
I remember in junior high when the 17s came out, a kid was using the briefcase for his books and got robbed. Do kids get robbed for shoes anymore?
Originally Posted by LBCOL

it's gonna go up and down and you gotta take the good with the bad. The problem now imo is that it is now "cool" to wear j's in high school. unlike last year when a fraction of the people in this age group were wearing them.
I kinda disagree with that just because it was cool to wear j's in high school when i was there, I'm 25. Someone also said, "True collectors will always collect." I took a break after the metallic 5s released in the summer of 07 until august of 09 just because there weren't enough released i was interested in, at that point i had maybe 30 pairs, and i was completely happy with my "collection" or "rotation" or whatever everyone is calling it now. My first pair of jordans was the retro spacejams from '00 because i had stopped growing and paid for half of the shoe with my allowance. I'm at about 110 pairs and its ridiculous, because i barely wear half of my stuff.  So if i decide to sell a pair i don't generally wear anymore does that mean i don't have love for the shoe?

anyway, this whole "game" or "fad" has clearly changed since the concord release. GRs like those trash royal 10s never sold out on the first day. To see if its actually a fad we have to take a wait and see approach because if sellingout GRs on release day is sustained over the next year or longer, maybe this is the norm. I have no problem with kids that want to wear jordans and are able to get theirs, because that's what 80% of ppl on here are doing. I mean in the end does the old vs. new thing really matter that much? A kid can have thier parents buy them a bunch of ogs and then his collection is "official." Meanwhile a guy in his 30s can suddenly make bank and start buying up ogs or the first retros and claim youngins weren't there when people were able to stroll into footaction at 12 noon 2 mondays after release date and still cop 11s back in 2000.

fact of the matter has always been wear what you like, but if you're wearing shoes just to get jaws to drop you're wearing them for the wrong reason.

The game ain't dead. It's not even a game, it's a culture and a way of life. Don't call me a sneakerhead! That is the same as crackhead, pothead, cokehead or fiend. My bills are paid on time. Lol I not giving up on my hobby because it got a little harder. That insinuates lethargy. I speak for all sneaker enthusiast-alike.

BTW i'm 29 rocking jordans since 01

Originally Posted by cord15

Old sneakerheads need no explanation why young people want to buy J's. You don't have to be old to like J's or MJ himself. If a fifteen year old wants to see all the great things Mike did, it's as simple as a few clicks of a mouse. I was born in the mid 80s and missed a bunch of what Mike did, but I still recognize him as the best player ever even though he's not my favorite of all time. I have a few dozen pair of J's, but I don't consider myself a collector. If people want to buy J's and resell at double retail, that's their business. 'Cause someone was born in '79 and has seen Mike in his prime does not mean he deserves a pair of retros more than someone born in '95. Why would someone think that? That awfully stupid. If you like the shoe, you should get it. If you want to buy and then resell, do it. 
P.S. I may feel like this cause I got my MBA recently and don't get a chance to wear mine like I used to, but it's true. Also, I'm from a small town and can get the Jordans I want 10 days before release day. 

my man....realest #@$!. these guys think they are entitled to some damn shoes...they gonna lose everytime
laugh.gif

^ thats the point of the argument, MOST of the kids who are into it now are not buying a shoe because THEY like it, they are buying it because EVERYONE else "likes" it. so your points are still moot.

people who cant think for themselves and just follow the crowd...THEY are going to lose every time....
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

only time someone is older is entitled to a pair more than someone who is younger is when they're ahead of them in line. simple as that.

Originally Posted by verysteri otypical

^ thats the point of the argument, MOST of the kids who are into it now are not buying a shoe because THEY like it, they are buying it because EVERYONE else "likes" it. so your points are still moot.

people who cant think for themselves and just follow the crowd...THEY are going to lose every time....
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

This is so true.

Originally Posted by devildoc76

Lol quick buck
roll.gif
?Ive been collecting shoes since 05, this aint no fad to me. I still have 30+ pairs of shoes i sold all of my JAYS not all of my shoes, you dudes act like there aren't any sneakers outside of jays. So its okay for you old people to take a break from Jays, but since we are young, we dont love it and are resellers...oh okay.And if i was a young punk trying to be cool dont you think i would still have all my jays,because you know that is the in thing now. You sound dumb. Basically its our fault because we weren't born in the 70's 
laugh.gif
 and you all are the originators and a new generation cant possibly love the shoes. Cant wait til yal old cats are in your 50s and 60s maybe this forum will be good like it used to be. I stay out of JB forum because i know its a fad now, and old cats all aways talking $%&#.

If you aren't a re-seller, and you love MJ, or his sneakers, and have been collecting since '05, why sell? And then look to return after the "fad" dies down?...... Nobody called you out earlier in this thread, you threw out "old guys" and put yourself out there. You don't have to be born in the 70's or 80's to enjoy Mikes legacy. I can't fault you for when you were born either. But here's what I do know. Youve been collecting since '05? So you were like 12, maybe 13? Come on dunn....with what job holding you down?...... I got insoles older than you. Now you're on a hiatus? What was your sole intention when you bought you're J's? Were you planning on wearing them, or let em sit and just say you have them ? You love the sneakers right? Then why let your peers determine whether you should sell or keep your J's. You're your own man. Ive got many OGs that I've had since Mikes playing days. I've got only 5 retros, 4 first run retros (pre 2001) and the CDP Hare 7s. I wear my OGs quite frankly because they're still in great condition. I'm not dropping more money on sneakers I already have, but that's me......Now you got young cats complaining about the price hike, and why cant they be priced like they were back in 1995. If you're still in your teens, how the hell would you know what grown man sneakers cost when you were a toddler? All in all, you may have beef with the old heads and how they view CERTAIN young cats, not all. Well, one day you'll come to this crossroad when LeBron and Kobe's are being retroed and some kid who still has milk on his breath, sounds the same way you do. Old fools used to be young fools.For the record I'm 35, and I don't talk that $&@$ as you say....... I'm battle hardened for real and I walk that $&@&!
I understand what you are saying, but when that day comes i wont go bashing dude especially when they say they have been collecting. And i dont understand what you all dont get about that statement. Hypebeast are still in the game sucking up every J that is released camping for 13+ hours for GRs. Thats not for me thats OD i'll return when everything goes back to how it used to be when i first started. Im almost 20 i dont have time for that !%#.
Yal dudes are clowns on some real $#@! , i dont sit on the computer all day posting which is my post count is low, id rather read which is what ive been doing since 05. NT is what helped me fall in love with the shoe game once the chambray 7s dropped. I sold them because i am a college student that needed money. Money > Jays that can easily be copped again once i graduate. I really dont have to explain +%@! to any of you dudes. And yes you are right i was 13 when i started collecting i wore all of my jays. The main issue yal old cats have is that you cant walk in and out of the store to buy Jays like you used to be able to do in the 90s and you cant fathom the fact that SOME people in the younger generation actually do love the game. Get over it times have changed. You all have fun complaining NT should make a section for 35 and up so you all can #$@!@ and moan all day long 
laugh.gif
. I wont be returning to this thread because yal just gonna keep hollering hypebeast, so be it 
roll.gif

Everything you mentioned is stuff YOUR generation does. So I have no clue why you're talking bad about the older gen. Lol @ "im almost 20".

Point is regardless what age group you fall under.. You get no respect if your into J's/Nikes (shoe culture) [not game] for the wrong reasons and that's being into em because it's cool hip thing. Same as if you're an MJ fan or Chicago Bulls fan.. Anyone can be a fan some are more hardcore than others.. Same as shoes.. We all hate bandwagoners and thats the truth right there.

It will never be the same for people who never grew up in mikes era, we saw what he did in those shoes where young kids just know about shoes and never watched him pay LIVE! It just isn't the same no disrespect to the young ones out there.

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Point is regardless what age group you fall under.. You get no respect if your into J's/Nikes (shoe culture) [not game] for the wrong reasons and that's being into em because it's cool hip thing. Same as if you're an MJ fan or Chicago Bulls fan.. Anyone can be a fan some are more hardcore than others.. Same as shoes.. We all hate bandwagoners and thats the truth right there.
When it comes down to it, nobody should honestly care about "respect" from other people, especially if it's respect over shoes. 
roll.gif
  Do you think I care when randoms give me props and dap me up for wearing some Paris dunks to the beach?  Respect people for donating to the less fortunate, helping others, wanting to get into healthcare/teaching to help those in need, or putting others before themselves.  I could care less for respect over material objects.
It's just depressing to think that some people never grow out of this child-like mindset.

In terms of shoes or any consumer product, people purchase these commodities for all types of different reasons whether its comfortable, physically appealing, sentimental, costs a lot, hype, branding, etc. Just because someone has their personal reasons for owning a shoe doesn't make them more qualified to own a shoe over someone else's rationale.  At the end of the day, every consumer is paying a large price for lackluster Jordan Brand products. JB doesn't care about the consumer's reason; they just want money.

Lastly, bandwagoners find their appeal through others as hype builds up over a sports team/shoe release, but who are we to tell them what they can and cannot like.  If something is fascinating or attention-worthy, then why can't they just like it for whatever time being?

Tired of elitists trying to force their idiotic/irrational perspectives on others.  Grow up child's play.

^ its not "elitist" its a JUSTIFIED dislike of the changes that an influx of "bandwagoners" has brought to buying certain shoes...

Back
Top Bottom