Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

also calling someone "elitist" is kind of ironic because it is most often used while attempting to show that you are better than them...

LIL WAYNE SCREWED UP ALL RELEASES WITH...

Okay, hello its the martian, Space Jam jordans...

EVER SINCE THAT LINE KIDS WERE HYPING UP THE SJ RELEASE...B4 THAT THERE WAS NO REAL 2 DAY CAMPOUTS UNLESS THE SHOE WAS EXTREMELY LIMITED. NOW NIKE KNOWS THE MASSES WILL COME OUT TO BUY WAEVA JUNK IS DROPPED AND ITS THOSE SAME MASSES THAT GO AND BUY EXTRA TO TRY AND MAKE A COUPLE OF EXTRA $$'S FROM IT.

70% OF US QUOTE ON QUOTE SNEAKER COLLECTORS GOT RESELLER BLOOD IN THEM...LOOK AT MOST OF THE SIGS HERE.

NIKE IS NOT GOING TO MASS PRODUCE SHOES CUZ THEY KNOW THE HYPE IS INSTILLED IN THE GENERATIONS TO COME. I AM SO HAPPY IM RETIRING AFTER THIS YEAR. EVERY SHOE I HAVE OWNED HAS RELEASED AS WELL AS STUFF I HAVE GOTTEN FOR MY KIDS. TO ME EVERYTHING HAS COME FULL CIRCLE. IF MY KIDS WANNA CONTINUE THAT'S ON THEM...BUT IM DONE...CUE THE MURTAUGH GIF...

GIFSoup

I never understood how having watched MJ play makes me more entitled than others. Does the fact that I remember watching him win all of his rings, the 92 Dream Team, his championship at UNC, all of his retirements make me more worthy than someone who was born in 96? What if I told you my first pair of J's were the DB4s? Does that make me a bandwagoner not worthy of being able to buy J's since I wasn't copping OGs or late 90s/early 00s retros? Do these two things cancel each other out? I've been into sneakers for a long time and it should all just come down to copping what you like, regardless of outside influences. If I like a shoe I'm going to get it whether it's hyped, unhyped, or played out by lame people.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Do you think I care when randoms give me props and dap me up for wearing some Paris dunks to the beach?  

I don't know what those are, but ya, I do think you care just a bit 'when randoms give [you] props and dap [you] up for wearing some Pairs dunks to the beach.'

i seen space jam as a kid growing up, thats why i like jordans. i think that makes me entitled mostly to jordans because i seen MJ in his prime acting career. I mean dude dunked from half court?! who you know do that???

I also seen the movie like mike with lil bow wow so im always koppn Js just incase they give me magic powars to ball like in the movie, i know one pair i kop one day will be the one! That makes me most entitled to J's more than everyone.

also bugs bunny he the best ya kno im sayn?!

spacejam3small.gif

Originally Posted by verysteri otypical

^ thats the point of the argument, MOST of the kids who are into it now are not buying a shoe because THEY like it, they are buying it because EVERYONE else "likes" it. so your points are still moot.

people who cant think for themselves and just follow the crowd...THEY are going to lose every time....
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

QFT
We are not saying we are entitled to anything, we are just trying to figure out why you younger kids are attached to retro Jordans and Nikes. 
nerd.gif

It's like being born in 95, but your grail is the Nike Air Mag, but you have never seen any of the Back to the Future movies. 

heatking wrote:
i seen space jam as a kid growing up, thats why i like jordans. i think that makes me entitled mostly to jordans because i seen MJ in his prime acting career. I mean dude dunked from half court?! who you know do that???

I also seen the movie like mike with lil bow wow so im always koppn Js just incase they give me magic powars to ball like in the movie, i know one pair i kop one day will be the one! That makes me most entitled to J's more than everyone.

spacejam3small.gif

Not sure if serious, but either way this had me ROLLIN
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
!!!

Acting career?.?.?. I dont thing MJ has EVER played anyone but HIMSELF
roll.gif

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

^ thats the point of the argument, MOST of the kids who are into it now are not buying a shoe because THEY like it, they are buying it because EVERYONE else "likes" it. so your points are still moot.

people who cant think for themselves and just follow the crowd...THEY are going to lose every time....
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

QFT
We are not saying we are entitled to anything, we are just trying to figure out why you younger kids are attached to retro Jordans and Nikes. 
nerd.gif

It's like being born in 95, but your grail is the Nike Air Mag, but you have never seen any of the Back to the Future movies. 

Exactly. We are wondering and slightly annoyed that we have to line up hours before the store opens now to compete against these youngsters to get shoes that WE have a clear attachment to.

Everyone is entitled to J's or anything for that matter.. It's just there's a handful of kids out there who just like the hype and exclusiveness and not like the shoe at all but has to get it because everyone else likes it. To make it worse they flip it and re-sell em. Whatever happened to I just like the shoe and I love how it looks on my feet and i must buy another so I can wear em 10-20yrs later. We can't even do that now. Kids these days DO NOT DESERVE what's on their feet... I can't wait till the day they say Jordans are played out because the true heads will stick to what we love... played out or not. If what I say offends you then YOU are one of them.

Originally Posted by heatking

spacejam3small.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Everyone is entitled to J's or anything for that matter.. It's just there's a handful of kids out there who just like the hype and exclusiveness and not like the shoe at all but has to get it because everyone else likes it. To make it worse they flip it and re-sell em. Whatever happened to I just like the shoe and I love how it looks on my feet and i must buy another so I can wear em 10-20yrs later. We can't even do that now. Kids these days DO NOT DESERVE what's on their feet... I can't wait till the day they say Jordans are played out because the true heads will stick to what we love... played out or not. If what I say offends you then YOU are one of them.

that day can't come soon enough... 

looking at the prices Jordans are going for on ebay right now
eek.gif

For me, my frustration has nothing to do with the younger generation itself. I agree, you don't have to have seen Mike in his day to appreciate Jordans...or sneakers period. It's those people who are only buying sneakers for the hype and profit that bother me. ...keeping pairs off the feet of those who are actually into them (unless they can afford resale prices, which is BS anyway). All this hype does is let Nike/Jordan know they can throw out whatever quality for whatever price and they'll sell. Not to mention giving the okay to resellers to slap some ridiculous price on them. This hurts sneaker enthuiasts of all generations. If it so happens that the younger generation makes up the bulk of this crowd then what can I say.

To be fair, I used to be a teen and know full well the pressures of fitting in. A lot of these kids are just trying to do the same...it's just a shame it's gotten to this level.   

Unfortunately the change has to start from the "top". Quick somebody call kanye and kim and have them tweet a pic of themselves reading comic books...

Be honest I don't give a finger in the middle bout if it's a fad cause I do it because I want too. Oh so you seen Jordan play in his prime well I did too and I don't believe that we should discourage our youth to this culture just for that fact. We got Js not only because Jordan wore them but the shoe itself had it's own status and if Kanye, Wale, and etc. wear 'hypebeast' shoes, that's what they gonna see on TV and they wanna imitate that then let them cause we did the same thing with not only just Mike; Run DMC(Addidas), Bird/Magic(Converse), and even Jay/50(RBK)
30t6p3b.gif
so don't knock when you did the same thing. But these re-sellers need to kill themselves and let us get our shoes in peace. Then lets be honest have you seen the sneakers they make nowadays utter trash except for a few. So encourage and spread knowledge.
pimp.gif

Just because you saw MJ play in his prime, doesn't mean you're entitled to the shoes. Just because some of us are in this "younger generation", doesn't mean we're buying shoes just to fit in.

At the end of the day, your money isn't better than mine because you're older than me. If you truly wanted the shoes, you would either have connects or be willing to stand in line. If you think you're above standing in line, then you obviously didn't want the shoes that much.

laugh.gif
at some of these "old heads" being salty because they couldn't get a pair of shoes.

Originally Posted by BaltimoreGutta

Just because you saw MJ play in his prime, doesn't mean you're entitled to the shoes. Just because some of us are in this "younger generation", doesn't mean we're buying shoes just to fit in.

At the end of the day, your money isn't better than mine because you're older than me. If you truly wanted the shoes, you would either have connects or be willing to stand in line. If you think you're above standing in line, then you obviously didn't want the shoes that much.

laugh.gif
at some of these "old heads" being salty because they couldn't get a pair of shoes.
But, that's the thing, nobody is saying their money is better than yours. What people like I are saying, is that there should not be a need to wait in line, Why offer my time, when I am already willing to part with basically 200$?......Makes no sense to a LOGICAL person. What nike has done-brilliantly might I add, is market their products so well-specifically the jordan line. They sell a shoe like for example....the Retro 4's, they sell the shoes for 160, but resale value is probably marked up to around 250, so in essence, Nike  is selling a shoe, which essentially costs 25$ to make at an already inflated price, the few consumers that get the shoe can instantly sell them at almost a 1,000% increse from what it cost NIKE to make the shoe. 
It's essentially a luxury item, with inferior quality, made in more limited qualities, especially taking into account the expanding market. But in reality who the #%%! cares, not like I didn't cop the 4's. Nike has it too easy. 

So, because there is more demand for the shoes, that's blamed upon the younger generation? People don't want to wait in line and part with nearly $200...so then don't? Nobody is forcing anybody to buy the shoes.

If we want to be completely thorough, even though most "hypebeasts" are younger, I have seen dudes in their late 20s-early 30s buy due to hype. When I was in line for the WCIVs, there was a 32 year old dude that didn't even know they were coming out till the night prior. This same dude also called the Concords the "Bugs Bunnies".

Don't get me wrong, I understand where some of you are coming from when you say the hype is real. I'm also to the point where I may take a break from Nikes/Jordans unless it's a pair that I feel is a must have. I'm just not willing to wait 6-8 hours for a pair of shoes when I can simply pass, sleep in, and save $170+.

To be as simple with it as possible...these are just shoes. On top of that, they aren't a necessity. As stated in the post above mine, this is a luxury item with inferior quality. Knowing this, most of us won't stop from buying.

So free your emotions from a pair of shoes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by Tipsy

Originally Posted by devildoc76

If you aren't a re-seller, and you love MJ, or his sneakers, and have been collecting since '05, why sell? And then look to return after the "fad" dies down?...... Nobody called you out earlier in this thread, you threw out "old guys" and put yourself out there. You don't have to be born in the 70's or 80's to enjoy Mikes legacy. I can't fault you for when you were born either. But here's what I do know. Youve been collecting since '05? So you were like 12, maybe 13? Come on dunn....with what job holding you down?...... I got insoles older than you. Now you're on a hiatus? What was your sole intention when you bought you're J's? Were you planning on wearing them, or let em sit and just say you have them ? You love the sneakers right? Then why let your peers determine whether you should sell or keep your J's. You're your own man. Ive got many OGs that I've had since Mikes playing days. I've got only 5 retros, 4 first run retros (pre 2001) and the CDP Hare 7s. I wear my OGs quite frankly because they're still in great condition. I'm not dropping more money on sneakers I already have, but that's me......Now you got young cats complaining about the price hike, and why cant they be priced like they were back in 1995. If you're still in your teens, how the hell would you know what grown man sneakers cost when you were a toddler? All in all, you may have beef with the old heads and how they view CERTAIN young cats, not all. Well, one day you'll come to this crossroad when LeBron and Kobe's are being retroed and some kid who still has milk on his breath, sounds the same way you do. Old fools used to be young fools. For the record I'm 35, and I don't talk that $&@$ as you say....... I'm battle hardened for real and I walk that $&@&!
I understand what you are saying, but when that day comes i wont go bashing dude especially when they say they have been collecting. And i dont understand what you all dont get about that statement. Hypebeast are still in the game sucking up every J that is released camping for 13+ hours for GRs. Thats not for me thats OD i'll return when everything goes back to how it used to be when i first started. Im almost 20 i dont have time for that !%#.
Yal dudes are clowns on some real $#@! , i dont sit on the computer all day posting which is my post count is low, id rather read which is what ive been doing since 05. NT is what helped me fall in love with the shoe game once the chambray 7s dropped. I sold them because i am a college student that needed money. Money > Jays that can easily be copped again once i graduate. I really dont have to explain +%@! to any of you dudes. And yes you are right i was 13 when i started collecting i wore all of my jays. The main issue yal old cats have is that you cant walk in and out of the store to buy Jays like you used to be able to do in the 90s and you cant fathom the fact that SOME people in the younger generation actually do love the game. Get over it times have changed. You all have fun complaining NT should make a section for 35 and up so you all can #$@!@ and moan all day long 
laugh.gif
. I wont be returning to this thread because yal just gonna keep hollering hypebeast, so be it 
roll.gif

Everything you mentioned is stuff YOUR generation does. So I have no clue why you're talking bad about the older gen. Lol @ "im almost 20".

can somebody ban tipsy???? he prolly that asian dude that be on youtube with the reviews...........
tired.gif

yeah it sucks that this is what it has come to, but by now, all of us 30+ got jobs and a connect just off of how long we been into shoes.........
i remember ordering the white/columbia 11s from eastbay when they retroed. payed 2 months early and patiently waited......those days are gone. 
am i salty about that? yes. but now i just lock my pair up months in advance or just pay the cost because its so much that come out now. if its not
a og colorway i dont even look at it. that leave plenty stuff for the kids to beast over and match their shirts.   

economy still sucks and jays are giving re-sellers a somewhat legal way to hustle. but, just take a look around. slowly but surely shoes are selling for
less on ebay. we just gotta keep at not letting these stupid prices fly. dude set a auction for playoff 12s at $250 and no one ever bidded. thats the only
thing we can do.

side note.......wore my cement 4s to the mall last weekend. heard dude at footlocker talking bout em while i was browsing. he was pointing out to
a girl how his were real and mine were fake because mine have nike air on the back not a jumpman............
laugh.gif
. damn i miss 1999

Originally Posted by TVJung

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by Tipsy

I understand what you are saying, but when that day comes i wont go bashing dude especially when they say they have been collecting. And i dont understand what you all dont get about that statement. Hypebeast are still in the game sucking up every J that is released camping for 13+ hours for GRs. Thats not for me thats OD i'll return when everything goes back to how it used to be when i first started. Im almost 20 i dont have time for that !%#.
Yal dudes are clowns on some real $#@! , i dont sit on the computer all day posting which is my post count is low, id rather read which is what ive been doing since 05. NT is what helped me fall in love with the shoe game once the chambray 7s dropped. I sold them because i am a college student that needed money. Money > Jays that can easily be copped again once i graduate. I really dont have to explain +%@! to any of you dudes. And yes you are right i was 13 when i started collecting i wore all of my jays. The main issue yal old cats have is that you cant walk in and out of the store to buy Jays like you used to be able to do in the 90s and you cant fathom the fact that SOME people in the younger generation actually do love the game. Get over it times have changed. You all have fun complaining NT should make a section for 35 and up so you all can #$@!@ and moan all day long 
laugh.gif
. I wont be returning to this thread because yal just gonna keep hollering hypebeast, so be it 
roll.gif

Everything you mentioned is stuff YOUR generation does. So I have no clue why you're talking bad about the older gen. Lol @ "im almost 20".

can somebody ban tipsy???? he prolly that asian dude that be on youtube with the reviews...........
tired.gif

yeah it sucks that this is what it has come to, but by now, all of us 30+ got jobs and a connect just off of how long we been into shoes.........
i remember ordering the white/columbia 11s from eastbay when they retroed. payed 2 months early and patiently waited......those days are gone. 
am i salty about that? yes. but now i just lock my pair up months in advance or just pay the cost because its so much that come out now. if its not
a og colorway i dont even look at it. that leave plenty stuff for the kids to beast over and match their shirts.   

economy still sucks and jays are giving re-sellers a somewhat legal way to hustle. but, just take a look around. slowly but surely shoes are selling for
less on ebay. we just gotta keep at not letting these stupid prices fly. dude set a auction for playoff 12s at $250 and no one ever bidded. thats the only
thing we can do.

side note.......wore my cement 4s to the mall last weekend. heard dude at footlocker talking bout em while i was browsing. he was pointing out to
a girl how his were real and mine were fake because mine have nike air on the back not a jumpman............
laugh.gif
. damn i miss 1999

Wow at least if your going to critize someone to try and floss in front of some chick be right smh...I agree if no one is paying these crazy prices they will come down like I want some Yotr 7 but i refuse to pay 400 to 500 for them

Unfortunately the change has to start from the "top". Quick somebody call kanye and kim and have them tweet a pic of themselves reading comic books...

please dont because i read comics and they sell out as is now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by zidane4661

please dont because i read comics and they sell out as is now
laugh.gif
haha, my bad dude, i meant no disrespect 
smile.gif

I'm in my 30's and I really don't care who's buying J's for whatever reason it is. If you got the money from working or from your parents, then buy whatever you want. I just know for a fact that when I was in middle school, it was a cool to wear J's and you had to have them to fit in. Looking back it makes feel naive thinking like that but my parents bought J's for me and I really appreciate that. Now I have a career and have a family, so I limit my self to like 3 J's a year. If I can't get them on RD, I know I will have to pay these reseller prices. It sucks but the game has change but not much else I can do. I know I can't wait in line for over 4 hours for just to get sneakers so I have to pay these crazy prices for J's. I don't see my self as a collector because I wear them when I get chance. I just dont see the point to have them DS and sitting in my closet just collecting dust. I see my self as just a sneaker and jordan fan buying sneakers that I LIKE.

people people people Jordans and Nikes arent selling out because of the younger generation come on man think about it, i remember back in the day everyone had the new jordans to release as well (this isnt a new thing) and if EVERYONE who wanted a pair to wear this wouldnt be a problem, hell if everyone bought 2 pairs so one can be DS for later we still wouldnt have this madness. The reason why its so crazy now is because people who dont even like shoes or people trying to make 20 bucks per shoe on resale are buying as many as they can to make money instead of getting a dam job and working hard for their money. So lets let everyone who wants a pair to rock grab their pairs and wear them proudly cuz we all do it for our own reasons and lets stop buying into the people who dont even like sneakers, who are raping the collecting aspect, and let them start losing money on their purchases then the game should return after a year or 2, you OG heads are the thirsty ones paying hundreds over retail to get your grails instead of patiently waiting this out for a minute to let the ones killing the game die out. So with that said its all our faults for feeding the beast that is the reseller so if you boycott resellers and dont over pay if you dont get them on release day and let these guys lose money it will stop, simple as that so stop crying until YOU are helping rid this problem as well.

^^ they did sell out eventually, but not no where in comparison to now. i remember walking in the mall on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON and the columbia 11's still there for easy pickup. mind you J's used to release on Tues or Wed. If the spizike id's and bordeaux's sold out then its definently HYPE now

Originally Posted by mrkane

^^ they did sell out eventually, but not no where in comparison to now. i remember walking in the mall on a FRIDAY AFTERNOON and the columbia 11's still there for easy pickup. mind you J's used to release on Tues or Wed. If the spizike id's and bordeaux's sold out then its definently HYPE now

i know they did sell out eventually but if you went within the first couple days you got your pairs no problem, which is nothing compoared to today with garbage colorways and crap quality selling out in minutes, not even hours. rediculous

Back
Top Bottom