So Supreme decided to release a Japanese benefit shirt

risingsunw-blkzoom1.jpg

w400_product_717.jpg.jpg

Information on these T-Shirts please!

Originally Posted by Method Man

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

So much sodium in this thread. It's a charity tee by Supreme and all the proceeds go to Japan. This is like the one time I'd figure people wouldn't hate on Supreme. Talking about you might as well just donate the money straight up (why don't you just think of it as donating the money straight up and getting a free tee out of it?)
If the retail cost of the shirt is $36 plus shipping, the net result isn't $36 plus shipping for the charity.  The shirt isn't "free."  You're still paying for it.
Direct donations are the only way to ensure that a full 100% of your money will reach the charity.  If you do one of donations by txt message, you're not actually giving $10 to charity.  You're giving up a significant "processing fee."

That's why our donation drive involves the NKETLK Japan badge instead of a tangible good.  We volunteer our time to implement the badges.  Nothing is skimmed off the top to pay for the "incentive," and, in this case, no additional incentive should be required to catalyze contributions.  By now, we've all at least caught a glimpse of the devastation the earthquake and tsunami have wrought.  

If your argument is that the only people who would purchase these shirts would be too selfish to give directly, that's fine.  You can call it a "net gain" if you want - but I think we should acknowledge it's NOT as efficient as a direct donation.  Anyone who really wants to help should be encouraged to contribute via your preferred charity's website instead.  

Don't buy a shirt to look like you care.  Act like you care instead. 
I don't even know why this is an argument. Supreme is not the only company doing this. I don't see how them creating what is essentially a promotional item to help drive Japanese relief funding is in any way wrong.
Tons of artists are creating art work to help drive funding. Musicians around the world are playing shows and putting out material to raise money as well. Supreme, and other clothing brands, are creating shirts for the same reason.

I just don't see what the issue is. It's obvious that the main source of funding is going to come directly from direct donations but I just can't see how generating more funding through these creative means is less helpful.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

So much sodium in this thread. It's a charity tee by Supreme and all the proceeds go to Japan. This is like the one time I'd figure people wouldn't hate on Supreme. Talking about you might as well just donate the money straight up (why don't you just think of it as donating the money straight up and getting a free tee out of it?)
If the retail cost of the shirt is $36 plus shipping, the net result isn't $36 plus shipping for the charity.  The shirt isn't "free."  You're still paying for it.
Direct donations are the only way to ensure that a full 100% of your money will reach the charity.  If you do one of donations by txt message, you're not actually giving $10 to charity.  You're giving up a significant "processing fee."

That's why our donation drive involves the NKETLK Japan badge instead of a tangible good.  We volunteer our time to implement the badges.  Nothing is skimmed off the top to pay for the "incentive," and, in this case, no additional incentive should be required to catalyze contributions.  By now, we've all at least caught a glimpse of the devastation the earthquake and tsunami have wrought.  

If your argument is that the only people who would purchase these shirts would be too selfish to give directly, that's fine.  You can call it a "net gain" if you want - but I think we should acknowledge it's NOT as efficient as a direct donation.  Anyone who really wants to help should be encouraged to contribute via your preferred charity's website instead.  

Don't buy a shirt to look like you care.  Act like you care instead. 
I don't even know why this is an argument. Supreme is not the only company doing this. I don't see how them creating what is essentially a promotional item to help drive Japanese relief funding is in any way wrong.
Tons of artists are creating art work to help drive funding. Musicians around the world are playing shows and putting out material to raise money as well. Supreme, and other clothing brands, are creating shirts for the same reason.

I just don't see what the issue is. It's obvious that the main source of funding is going to come directly from direct donations but I just can't see how generating more funding through these creative means is less helpful.

i bet dudes wanna donate because they want the tee 
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

thanks fong, copped it.

laugh.gif

Spoiler [-]
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
yea i want that tee, why else would i have got it? i donated plenty to the red cross already with my wells fargo account so move on bro.

thanks fong, copped it.

laugh.gif

Spoiler [-]
indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
yea i want that tee, why else would i have got it? i donated plenty to the red cross already with my wells fargo account so move on bro.

Originally Posted by yomegaaa

why not just donate the money and pass on the shirt...

Honestly I think people just feel more content about donating money and also getting something for it. I mean everyone can do it the old fashion way and send in a check to the Red Cross but no one will have the motivation to do it. At least with buying a product, it somewhat entices people to spend money for charity.

Anyways, I got tattooed not too long ago for a benefit. Got a tsunami wave on my arm and my $100 went to a nice organization that will help Japan. I doubt I would have done otherwise if they didn't offer a tattoo in exchange.

Originally Posted by yomegaaa

why not just donate the money and pass on the shirt...

Honestly I think people just feel more content about donating money and also getting something for it. I mean everyone can do it the old fashion way and send in a check to the Red Cross but no one will have the motivation to do it. At least with buying a product, it somewhat entices people to spend money for charity.

Anyways, I got tattooed not too long ago for a benefit. Got a tsunami wave on my arm and my $100 went to a nice organization that will help Japan. I doubt I would have done otherwise if they didn't offer a tattoo in exchange.

Boys Noize wrote:

I think the bigger issue is that there are some of you out there who think you're on some kind of moral high ground. It's fine if you don't like the tshirt or Supreme or whatever but why make it out to be anything more than that?

some folk just gotta throw salt at anything

Boys Noize wrote:

I think the bigger issue is that there are some of you out there who think you're on some kind of moral high ground. It's fine if you don't like the tshirt or Supreme or whatever but why make it out to be anything more than that?

some folk just gotta throw salt at anything

Back
Top Bottom