So what exactly does having a crime "expunged" do?

i was paying one of my traffic tickets today, and while im waiting in line to get in to court, people in front of me are going back and forth over what happens when you get your violation expunged. one was saying it can still be seen, the other was saying the point of expungement is to get it "erased."
so what exactly happens?

i was paying one of my traffic tickets today, and while im waiting in line to get in to court, people in front of me are going back and forth over what happens when you get your violation expunged. one was saying it can still be seen, the other was saying the point of expungement is to get it "erased."
so what exactly happens?

When you get a case expunged, it completely erases everything from the system. The file is destroyed, everything associated with the file is destroyed, and letters are sent to the state/district attorney's office, and the attorneys on record, advising them to destroy all of their paperwork from the file.

I work in the county clerk's office, in the records department, and we deal with expunged files some of the time.

Not anyone can have a file expunged, though. It depends on the outcome of the case. You cannot have plead guilty, you had to have adjudication withheld in order to have your file expunged.

Hope that helps, but that type of stuff is what I deal with all day.....

they put your conviction documentation in a secret room that no one can enter, but the papers are in a see-through envelope so it can still be seen

When you get a case expunged, it completely erases everything from the system. The file is destroyed, everything associated with the file is destroyed, and letters are sent to the state/district attorney's office, and the attorneys on record, advising them to destroy all of their paperwork from the file.

I work in the county clerk's office, in the records department, and we deal with expunged files some of the time.

Not anyone can have a file expunged, though. It depends on the outcome of the case. You cannot have plead guilty, you had to have adjudication withheld in order to have your file expunged.

Hope that helps, but that type of stuff is what I deal with all day.....

they put your conviction documentation in a secret room that no one can enter, but the papers are in a see-through envelope so it can still be seen

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

laugh.gif
 that confuses me even more

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

laugh.gif
 that confuses me even more

Back
Top Bottom