So what's the best major/degree to get for job outlook and money?

Currently I'm attending a community college and trying to transfer to get a bachelor's degree.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I was thinking of doing something with business and marketing. Is that any good?

whats the best thing to major in for job outlook?
since niketalk be ballin with M3's and new shoe's u guy's must kno

I'll be straight making $15 or $20 an hour out of college.

cuz damn my $9.25 job at a calling center ain't cuttin it
man I hate this job

Originally Posted by Los Benjaminz

Currently I'm attending a community college and trying to transfer to get a bachelor's degree.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I was thinking of doing something with business and marketing. Is that any good?

whats the best thing to major in for job outlook?
since niketalk be ballin with M3's and new shoe's u guy's must kno

I'll be straight making $15 or $20 an hour out of college.

cuz damn my $9.25 job at a calling center ain't cuttin it
man I hate this job
$15 to $20 an hour out of college is decent, but only equates to $35 to $40K a year. If you have a bachelor degree you could command more moneydepending upon the economy at the time. My advice is do something you would love to do for a career and the money will follow.

pharmacy... my friend just graduated...is a manager at target makes over 90 gs and she is 27 holla at ya girl

I would go with any type of engineering degree. You should be able to make 50-60k right from the jump. I got a bachelors in criminal justice and make 65k twoyears removed from college.

Originally Posted by lilstone25

I would go with any type of engineering degree. You should be able to make 50-60k right from the jump. I got a bachelors in criminal justice and make 65k two years removed from college.

my friend jsut graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and cant find a job offering that much......

all of the above stated majors. most people drop out of engineering cause they hate it and a lot of people can't get past organic chemistry to get intothose health fields.

people say do what you love to do, but its good that you're looking for something in demand.

btw all tech jobs are still hot, companies are outsourcing to India because there aren't enough qualified people here not because its necessarily cheaper.

Lawyer or Paralegal.
Anything in the Medical Field, seriously
Financial Advisor

I am in IT/Education, I am hoping for no difficulties upon graduation.

What are your interests?

Pharmacy school is guaranteed pay and career, but the school is a b****. Nursing will have unlimited openings for some years to come.

^ no it doesn't. I have several fresh out of top tier law school friends that can't get a job at all, regardless of what type of law, that won'tlast forever but normally there is no reason they shouldn't have a job already.

Originally Posted by lilstone25

I would go with any type of engineering degree. You should be able to make 50-60k right from the jump. I got a bachelors in criminal justice and make 65k two years removed from college.

What are u doing with your criminal justice degree?...

Originally Posted by infamousod

^ no it doesn't. I have several fresh out of top tier law school friends that can't get a job at all, regardless of what type of law, that won't last forever but normally there is no reason they shouldn't have a job already.

Yes there is. Lawyers have oversaturated the market. There is no excessive demand for laywers. Although the practice is always necessary, there were (and stillare, I believe) more kids in Law School than lawyers walking the Earth. Scary thought. But anyway there are WAY too many people out there for that unnecessarynecessity.

There are, however, ALWAYS shortages of teachers, and people in the medical/health profession.

College employees are always needed, also, no matter what.

make sure you like what your are doing.. aint nothing worse then hating to go to work....

Any teachers out here
nerd.gif

A general rule of thumb,
the harder it is the attain your degree, the less people will have your degree and therefore the higher the demand will be for your job if its a high demandfield. Everyone gets business undergrad degrees. These degree plans are a joke. The market is saturated. There is no point in getting any kind of businesslabeled degree until its time for an MBA.

Engineering is the highest paying field you can get into with 1 degree. First years from my school generally make between 55-80k, depending on the company,typeof engineering, etc.
From there it's downhill. Now, keep in mind attorneys make 90k+ after law school and doctors make at least 150k, but this is after 3 years of law schooland 4 years of med school + 2 or more years residency (depending on your specialization).

Pharmacist make 90k after 6 years total school.

Pharmacist, Engineers, Doctors/medical field. All of these careers are recession proof and will always be in need. There are also accountants who will also beneeded but start salaries are considerably lower. Attorney used to be on that list, but someone in this post stated that the market is over saturated. So ifyou don't plan on going to a top 10-20 law school, I'd pass on this option.

The route a lot of my classmates and I are taking is engineering undergrad and then an MBA after being in the field for some time. An MBA is always going tosignificantly boost your income, but since your looking for money, it would be advantageous to pick a high paying undergrad major. The reason I'm shootingfor an NBA is because engineering tends to start high, but level off. You're not going to be making 150k as an engineer unless you own the consulting firm.So if you want cash, you're going to have to hop into management.

The keyword in any career path you take is management. Those guys make all of the money, and the pay increases exponentially as you climb the ladder.

The highest paying jobs that I know of requiring only a 4 year degree WAS investment banking. Keyword, WAS. Certain companies used to pay about 60k salary thena 90k annual bonus for first year analyst. The bonuses this year if you still have a job should be meager at best.

15-20 out of college though?
indifferent.gif

Co-ops make 20/hour at my company. Co-ops make 25-30/hour at many firms. These are guys with 60-90 college hours.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

A general rule of thumb,
the harder it is the attain your degree, the less people will have your degree and therefore the higher the demand will be for your job if its a high demand field. Everyone gets business undergrad degrees. These degree plans are a joke. The market is saturated. There is no point in getting any kind of business labeled degree until its time for an MBA.

Engineering is the highest paying field you can get into with 1 degree. First years from my school generally make between 55-80k, depending on the company,type of engineering, etc.
From there it's downhill. Now, keep in mind attorneys make 90k+ after law school and doctors make at least 150k, but this is after 3 years of law school and 4 years of med school + 2 or more years residency (depending on your specialization).

Pharmacist make 90k after 6 years total school.

Pharmacist, Engineers, Doctors/medical field. All of these careers are recession proof and will always be in need. There are also accountants who will also be needed but start salaries are considerably lower. Attorney used to be on that list, but someone in this post stated that the market is over saturated. So if you don't plan on going to a top 10-20 law school, I'd pass on this option.

The route a lot of my classmates and I are taking is engineering undergrad and then an MBA after being in the field for some time. An MBA is always going to significantly boost your income, but since your looking for money, it would be advantageous to pick a high paying undergrad major. The reason I'm shooting for an NBA is because engineering tends to start high, but level off. You're not going to be making 150k as an engineer unless you own the consulting firm. So if you want cash, you're going to have to hop into management.

The keyword in any career path you take is management. Those guys make all of the money, and the pay increases exponentially as you climb the ladder.

The highest paying jobs that I know of requiring only a 4 year degree WAS investment banking. Keyword, WAS. Certain companies used to pay about 60k salary then a 90k annual bonus for first year analyst. The bonuses this year if you still have a job should be meager at best.

15-20 out of college though?
indifferent.gif

Co-ops make 20/hour at my company. Co-ops make 25-30/hour at many firms. These are guys with 60-90 college hours.
Good info, thanks.

I'm somewhat in the same boat...I don't know whether I should major in Business Marketing/Management or Bio so i could prepare myself for medicine if Idecide to move in that direction.

Computer Engineering 2012. With a degree from Umich I'll be set with a job from google or somewhere big after graduation
pimp.gif
if not a small company willsuffice. Also what Throwedindagame said is 100% accurate, I will most likely take the same graduate route as him with an mba.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

Originally Posted by infamousod

^ no it doesn't. I have several fresh out of top tier law school friends that can't get a job at all, regardless of what type of law, that won't last forever but normally there is no reason they shouldn't have a job already.

Yes there is. Lawyers have oversaturated the market. There is no excessive demand for laywers. Although the practice is always necessary, there were (and still are, I believe) more kids in Law School than lawyers walking the Earth. Scary thought. But anyway there are WAY too many people out there for that unnecessary necessity.

Yep.

no it doesn't. I have several fresh out of top tier law school friends that can't get a job at all, regardless of what type of law

The ones (don't know what you call them) who take care of foreclosures are making money. That's why I said "some".

Almost 800 associates and legal staff nationwide returned home jobless Thursday after eight firms conducted mass layoffs, citing an unprecedented downturn in demand.

"There will be more," said consultant Peter Zeughauser. "Materially more. I'm aware of some big ones coming up."

"It's not healthy to have lawyers sitting around not having work to do," said Lawrence Watanabe, a legal recruiter based in Los Angeles

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202428249235

Back
Top Bottom