So what's the best major/degree to get for job outlook and money?

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

I'm just going to throw this our there and then you can all go back to jerking it.

Wouldn't you generally rather seek the counsel and advice of people who are, you know, out of college?  Maybe a few years of experience under their belts?  I know that's crazy talk but believe this: you and your Sophomore and Junior friends can sit around and gas each other up all you want about how you're going to be kings of the universe but nobody in the real world cares how special you believe you/your major/your school is or what you have convinced yourself you're going to earn.  Sincerely, that's not to be harsh.  I just know when I was where most of you were, I used to sit around with the other geniuses and talk about how things would be once we graduated because we all had the inside track on life, career, everything.  I've said it before, but life can be a cold, hard slap in the face when you've been drinking fantasy flavored KoolAid for a while.  From experience, it's beneficial to poke your heads out of the turtle shell of your friends and classmates whenever possible and listen to people who sometimes say things you don't want to hear but have more credentials than 3/4 of a bachelor's degree.  I'm not saying everything in this thread is off.  But I am saying that there is enough misconception and misinformation in this thread to fill an airplane hangar.  
Maybe the most relevant thing said in this thread so far.  I have to try hard not to laugh at any one in here saying "I will be making..."  If you dont have paycheck in hand, you shouldnt be speaking up. Dreaming fun and all, but especially with the job market today, a lot of people are taking the same jobs they sat in school and dreamed about, for a significant amount less than a few years ago.
My best piece of advice: get on those internships. Not only do they look good, but the experience is hugely beneficial to you as an individual. Go see what the corporate world is like. It is not the same as a classroom.  See what 40-60 hrs of work a week feels like. Its far to easy to say "I will make X amount doing Y job" when you havent yet got that job, or even seen what the work is like.  When you just look at the pay grade, its easy to forget what the work experience is actually like.  Thats 40 hours of your week, every week. If you cant stand it, the money wont matter.

Back
Top Bottom