So what's the best major/degree to get for job outlook and money?

I know about 10 different guys who went to the local community college to be a police officer and got jobs IMMEDIATELY and make 50k+ per year starting out. My roommate made 60k his first year as a county police officer with his 2 year criminal justice degree. I wish I would have went for that.

What's even crazier is if you have a certain amount of college credits, you can just take this like 13 week police academy and become a cop. One of my friends from high school got his Bachelors in Political Science (worthless) and decided to go take the police academy thing, and was a police officer making 50k within a half a year. Insane.

Originally Posted by joegolfdad

Originally Posted by swizzc

ehh... I'm going into investment banking next year and I'll be making close to 100k first year out. Now, this is nowhere near the 150k that was the norm for first year analysts before this year, but its still pretty good.

where do you go and what's your major

Out the gate that is damn good. You should be grateful

Originally Posted by acidicality

engineering
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
, we work our %$+*@ off during college but it pays after graduating.

but most importantly, it's that you enjoy what you do. life is too short to waste it doing things you have no interest in no matter what type of money you're getting.
I know engineering is a wide field but what do these people do?
My boy's about to start college next year for this and I ask him but he never tells me
He just says you have to be good with math and it's really hard

Originally Posted by Los Benjaminz

Currently I'm attending a community college and trying to transfer to get a bachelor's degree.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I was thinking of doing something with business and marketing. Is that any good?

whats the best thing to major in for job outlook?
since niketalk be ballin with M3's and new shoe's u guy's must kno

I'll be straight making $15 or $20 an hour out of college.

cuz damn my $9.25 job at a calling center ain't cuttin it
man I hate this job
If you choose that then make sure you get internships while in college to pad the resume. I have 2 friends that graduated with that degree and didn't do the extra work to get internships and they are struggling in the job market right now.

Originally Posted by kingkb34

Currently I'm attending a community college and trying to transfer to get a bachelor's degree.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I was thinking of doing something with business and marketing. Is that any good?

man I hate this job
If you choose that then make sure you get internships while in college to pad the resume. I have 2 friends that graduated with that degree and didn't do the extra work to get internships and they are struggling in the job market right now.
damn I made this thread a while ago

U go to OSU? what u majoring?
im going to c state lol hopefully transferring to osu soon

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

I'm a double major with Iternational Business with an Emphasis and Language and Japanese. From what I have been told, and from what I have seen, I'm on the right track. I'm not interested in starting my own business tho. I'm intersted in working for any company that has an international firm that deals with Japan (there are many
laugh.gif
). I'm sure that I will still have to put in work to get a dope job but from what I have learned it looks pretty good
pimp.gif
yea anybody fluent in multiple languages is a huge asset in the international business setting. Japanese is a great choice too given the difficulty of the language and the numerous international business relationships with Japan.

Im doing nursing right now, but even for nurses, its hard to get a job in some areas during this time

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Computer Engineering 2012. With a degree from Umich I'll be set with a job from google or somewhere big after graduation
pimp.gif
if not a small company willsuffice. Also what Throwedindagame said is 100% accurate, I will most likely take the same graduate route as him with an mba.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

No, you won't
laugh.gif

Not to burst your bubble, but you better have graduated from Cornell with 6+ years of solid experience and have multiple certs if u plan to get a high paying gig @ Google....or have a hell of a connect.

Companies like Google place a lot of weight on both degree/cert(s) and experience. 

Originally Posted by Dapper D

What about public relations?
How is the money in that?
Job outlook?...

No, no, no.

1. PR is what all the hot girls pick that are unintelligent but think they have good "communication skills"... the major is really diluted and it's hard to stand out.
2. It's closely related to journalism (my major), which is pretty much a guarantee not to make any money.
3. Lots of PR/journalism kids traditionally got jobs at newspapers out of colleges... but those are dying by the day so you would be doomed.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Pharmacy. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

push that white, no school required
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

man I hate this job

If I made 15-20 dollars an hour after college I would / wrists.

Im an architect major, not sure how would it be a couple a years from know but it something I like. Not everything is about money...

But yea $15-20 would suck lol

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Pharmacy. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

push that white, no school required
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

man I hate this job

If I made 15-20 dollars an hour after college I would / wrists.

Im an architect major, not sure how would it be a couple a years from know but it something I like. Not everything is about money...

But yea $15-20 would suck lol
laugh.gif
that's exactly what you're going to be making for the three years before you're allowed to take your states ARE

good  luck man, if you survive architecture school you've got a stronger will than me.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

I just finished community college, is it that bad?
ohwell.gif
. I heard you dont make much
tired.gif
it's very hard. granted i was in a top 5 architecture program in thecountry but no matter where you go, it's going to be difficult.

the biggest factor isn't the degree of difficulty involved inarchitecture, it's the work load. the summer fallowing my FRESHMANyear, i was working 40 hours a week for the first time and let me tell youthat the entire year i was putting waaaaaaay more than 40 hours into myarchitecture projects on a WEEKLY basis. made having a full time job seem like a breeze.

you're not going to have a social life and do well. if you don't do well you're going to feel terrible (imo architecturehas the fiercest competition between students of any undergraduatecourse of study) and you're probably going to get kicked out, err askedto consider a switch of majors if you're at a prestigious school.

your first 5 or so years you wont be making much at all, hell even your first ten years. like i said, the mandatory three years before you can take the ARE is pretty much a paid internship... except you're a full time employee with a full time workload. a lot of architects after gaining experience with a firm move on and start their own firms, or they move up the latter at their existing firm, both scenarios provide for an opportunity to make CAKE but again, we're talking a good ten years after you graduate from college.

all that being said, architects hold one of the most satisfying jobs there out there. you ask any professional architect whether or not they love their job and they're pretty much guaranteed to say yes. it's near impossible to major in architecture, yet alone succeed with it after you're done if you don't genuinely love it. find out you only have a legitimate interest in it and chances are you wont last more than a semester or two.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Computer Engineering 2012. With a degree from Umich I'll be set with a job from google or somewhere big after graduation
pimp.gif
if not a small company willsuffice. Also what Throwedindagame said is 100% accurate, I will most likely take the same graduate route as him with an mba.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

No, you won't
laugh.gif

Not to burst your bubble, but you better have graduated from Cornell with 6+ years of solid experience and have multiple certs if u plan to get a high paying gig @ Google....or have a hell of a connect.

Companies like Google place a lot of weight on both degree/cert(s) and experience. 

he can start off as a code monkey first. One of my buddies graduated from a state school here in california and was picked up by google right away. He was a beast at coding though, but the school he went to was ehhh.

First of all, $15-20/hr (35K-40K) is more than enough to live comfortably. To the people saying otherwise, they either do not know how to manage their money or don't even earn a salary to begin with. Unless you got mouths to feed, that type of money is plenty for one person (think about hardworking families living below the poverty line at 22K a year for a household of 4 people...it all depends on how you wanna live). 
After being in your shoes fairly recently, all I can contribute is to avoid following the money. Unless making a load of money is your DREAM, which it most likely isn't, don't plan your life according to money. Imagine if the world's most successful people thought like that...there would be no Microsoft, no Apple, etc. etc. They started out with pursuing their passion. This all sounds corny as hell, but it's absolutely true. A few months ago when I was job searching I was primarily looking for $ and stability in a job. After going through a handful of interviews I realized money comes secondary to your passion and interests...which ultimately boils down to your happiness. 

Truthfully, whatever passion or career interest you have, you will be able to make a lot of money from it. There are successful and rich people in every business, industry, and field. $ is only a perk to a career. Remind yourself you aren't looking for a job, you are looking for a career...A passion to fulfill. And in most cases, that isn't something to be realized overnight. It is for some lucky people, but you will only realize your true passions by experience. So my recommendation in transferring to a bachelor degree program/school is to major in something you are interested in. It will pay off in the end...way after you pay the thousands in tuition 
laugh.gif
 Good luck to you!

^^^ Agreed with alife (be prepared for those saying happiness doesn't = money though) I'm making about $40-42k and I feel fine. I pay off bills in advance, paid off five of my six students loans and just got a new car last week. And all that money came from doing a job I like.
pimp.gif

$40k for someone fresh out of school ain't nothin to sneeze at. In today's society where jobs depend on education plus 5 years experience, beggars can't be chosers. Take the damn $40k job.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

A general rule of thumb,
the harder it is the attain your degree, the less people will have your degree and therefore the higher the demand will be for your job if its a high demandfield. Everyone gets business undergrad degrees. These degree plans are a joke. The market is saturated. There is no point in getting any kind of businesslabeled degree until its time for an MBA.

Engineering is the highest paying field you can get into with 1 degree. First years from my school generally make between 55-80k, depending on the company,typeof engineering, etc.
From there it's downhill. Now, keep in mind attorneys make 90k+ after law school and doctors make at least 150k, but this is after 3 years of law schooland 4 years of med school + 2 or more years residency (depending on your specialization).

Pharmacist make 90k after 6 years total school.

Pharmacist, Engineers, Doctors/medical field. All of these careers are recession proof and will always be in need. There are also accountants who will also beneeded but start salaries are considerably lower. Attorney used to be on that list, but someone in this post stated that the market is over saturated. So ifyou don't plan on going to a top 10-20 law school, I'd pass on this option.

The route a lot of my classmates and I are taking is engineering undergrad and then an MBA after being in the field for some time. An MBA is always going tosignificantly boost your income, but since your looking for money, it would be advantageous to pick a high paying undergrad major. The reason I'm shootingfor an NBA is because engineering tends to start high, but level off. You're not going to be making 150k as an engineer unless you own the consulting firm.So if you want cash, you're going to have to hop into management.

The keyword in any career path you take is management. Those guys make all of the money, and the pay increases exponentially as you climb the ladder.

The highest paying jobs that I know of requiring only a 4 year degree WAS investment banking. Keyword, WAS. Certain companies used to pay about 60k salary thena 90k annual bonus for first year analyst. The bonuses this year if you still have a job should be meager at best.

15-20 out of college though?
indifferent.gif

Co-ops make 20/hour at my company. Co-ops make 25-30/hour at many firms. These are guys with 60-90 college hours.

This kid knows whats hes talking about. 
Once I finish my CS degree this year, I plan on getting a dual masters in Network Security and an MBA. Management and specialization is where its at. 

Once you become specialized enough to become a consultant for other companies, the money flows. You would be surprised how much companies pay consultants. In my situation the MBA will be the icing on the cake. 

Medical field and you're set.

You will always have job security(in a sense) if you work in this field, plus they make good pay.

I'm just going to throw this our there and then you can all go back to jerking it.

Wouldn't you generally rather seek the counsel and advice of people who are, you know, out of college?  Maybe a few years of experience under their belts?  I know that's crazy talk but believe this: you and your Sophomore and Junior friends can sit around and gas each other up all you want about how you're going to be kings of the universe but nobody in the real world cares how special you believe you/your major/your school is or what you have convinced yourself you're going to earn.  Sincerely, that's not to be harsh.  I just know when I was where most of you were, I used to sit around with the other geniuses and talk about how things would be once we graduated because we all had the inside track on life, career, everything.  I've said it before, but life can be a cold, hard slap in the face when you've been drinking fantasy flavored KoolAid for a while.  From experience, it's beneficial to poke your heads out of the turtle shell of your friends and classmates whenever possible and listen to people who sometimes say things you don't want to hear but have more credentials than 3/4 of a bachelor's degree.  I'm not saying everything in this thread is off.  But I am saying that there is enough misconception and misinformation in this thread to fill an airplane hangar.  

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

I'm just going to throw this our there and then you can all go back to jerking it.

Wouldn't you generally rather seek the counsel and advice of people who are, you know, out of college?  Maybe a few years of experience under their belts?  I know that's crazy talk but believe this: you and your Sophomore and Junior friends can sit around and gas each other up all you want about how you're going to be kings of the universe but nobody in the real world cares how special you believe you/your major/your school is or what you have convinced yourself you're going to earn.  Sincerely, that's not to be harsh.  I just know when I was where most of you were, I used to sit around with the other geniuses and talk about how things would be once we graduated because we all had the inside track on life, career, everything.  I've said it before, but life can be a cold, hard slap in the face when you've been drinking fantasy flavored KoolAid for a while.  From experience, it's beneficial to poke your heads out of the turtle shell of your friends and classmates whenever possible and listen to people who sometimes say things you don't want to hear but have more credentials than 3/4 of a bachelor's degree.  I'm not saying everything in this thread is off.  But I am saying that there is enough misconception and misinformation in this thread to fill an airplane hangar.  

Truth. And Im learning this in my 20's. The others talking about the same majors I did a few years will find out too.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

I'm a double major with Iternational Business with an Emphasis and Language and Japanese. From what I have been told, and from what I have seen, I'm on the right track. I'm not interested in starting my own business tho. I'm intersted in working for any company that has an international firm that deals with Japan (there are many
laugh.gif
). I'm sure that I will still have to put in work to get a dope job but from what I have learned it looks pretty good
pimp.gif
yea anybody fluent in multiple languages is a huge asset in the international business setting. Japanese is a great choice too given the difficulty of the language and the numerous international business relationships with Japan.

So tough tho
smh.gif
. So many ups and downs. I will make it tho

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Engineering, 60k/year.

In terms of jobs market

Electrical/Computer>Mechanical>>Civil>>>Aerospace>Chemcial. I based this off of the number of companies that recruitment at my school for those positions, percentage of people walking with offers and online research.

Electrical Engineering with a 3.0+ = garunteed job. I know guys with sub 3.0s at Fortune 500s for electrical engineering. Garunteed 3 series money bro. As long as you can do calculus.

if you make less than 50k/year as an engineer right out of college, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

I got a friend who made 95k at Exxon Mobil his first year as an engineer.

If you have a high risk threshold, shoot for wall street. Investment Banking is the only job that will pay you more out of school than Google/XOM engineering. Dudes getting like 120k, but your chances of getting on wall street vary wildly and are directly correlated with the rank of your school.
I gotta disagree with you Electrical =Chemical >> Mechanical > Civil IMO (although I just graduated in Chem E so I am a bit biased) You are right however on the ExxonMobil stats.  I interned with them last summer, and start full time in July and the salaries are ridiculous starting off.  Makes it extremely difficult for other companies to compete during recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom