Soccer Players Are the Best Athletes In Sports vol. No Contest

RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless
Made this case before. Making it again: Deion Sanders greatest all-around athlete ever. Greatest CB. .300-hitting CF. All-State basketball.

/thread

Originally Posted by msaba07

first and foremost 
laugh.gif
at this thread having "legs" no pun intended ...

soccer is not difficult ... in fact, everyone on two legs can play soccer ... as long as you can get your cardio up, you can play soccer ... think back to how many kids couldn't play kickball in grade school ... there was maybe one of them "lee me alon" dudes with two left feet who stood and watched ... even the most awkward kids can kick a ball and run ...

that being said, these vaginas playing soccer couldnt last 3 seconds on a football field ... they couldnt hit a lick in baseball ... they couldnt shoot a basketball ... every single person playing any of the three major sports could play soccer at a relatively decent level ...

and dont get me started on hockey ... most underrated sport on the planet ... not only do you have to have your stamina up, but you have to be able to control a puck while skating on ice ...

but all of what i just typed is irrelevant because the greatest athletes on earth are versatile ... Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete ever ... Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson were great ATHLETES ... none of these garbage $@@ soccer players are touching any of them ... hell, Jeremy Bloom is a better athlete than every single soccer player in the world ...

first and foremost 
laugh.gif

AMERICAN FOOTBALL is not difficult ... in fact, everyone on two legs can play AMERICAN FOOTBALL ... as long as you can throw qnd catch, you can play AMERICAN FOOTBALL ... think back to how many kids couldn't THROW and CATCH in grade school ... there was maybe one of them "lee me alon" dudes with two left feet who stood and watched ... even the most awkward kids can CATCH a ball and run ...

that being said, these vaginas playing AMERICAN FOOTBALL couldnt last 3 seconds on a SOCCER field ... they couldnt hit a lick in baseball ... they couldnt shoot a basketball ... every single person playing any of the three major sports could play AMERICAN FOOTBALL at a relatively decent level ...

and dont get me started on hockey ... most underrated sport on the planet ... not only do you have to have your stamina up, but you have to be able to control a puck while skating on ice ...

but all of what i just typed is irrelevant because the greatest athletes on earth are versatile ... MARADONA was the greatest athlete ever ... PELE and RONALDO phenomenon were great ATHLETES ... none of these garbage $@@ AMERICAN FoOTBALL players are touching any of them ... hell, Landon Donovan is a better athlete than every single AMERICAN FOOTBALL player in the USA ...

Originally Posted by Noskey

Trollolololol.
You call him a troll but he brings up one really great point....the part about being versatile.  When you see a kid playing a bunch of sports, he is described as an athlete.  Great athletes are people you can imagine being successful at multiple sports.  Like when you look at Matt Kemp, you can envision him playing a few different sports.  Same can be said of a ton of other baseball, basketball and football players.  I dont feel like you can say the same thing about soccer players.  Messi is the best player I have ever seen (only been following soccer casually for a few years) and I couldnt imagine him playing a single other sport. 

i really honestly wholeheartedly want to know if people think soccer is a difficult sport ... and that it is more difficult than "AMERICAN FOOTBALL" ... dude said all you have to do is throw and catch to play football ... ... ... ... ... ... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i'm out of here ... this is one argument not even worth my time getting in people's feelings ... if you honestly believe Maradona was a better athlete than Jim Thorpe, you should perform a lobotomy on yourself ...

ill say gymnast. them dudes (and ladies) are od strong. but cant believe folks have continued this for 5+ pages
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by MzD650

Trollolololol.
You call him a troll but he brings up one really great point....the part about being versatile.  When you see a kid playing a bunch of sports, he is described as an athlete.  Great athletes are people you can imagine being successful at multiple sports.  Like when you look at Matt Kemp, you can envision him playing a few different sports.  Same can be said of a ton of other baseball, basketball and football players.  I dont feel like you can say the same thing about soccer players.  Messi is the best player I have ever seen (only been following soccer casually for a few years) and I couldnt imagine him playing a single other sport. 

Dude have you seen KoBe a so called soccer afficionado kick a ball? He sucks and he is probably the best soccer player in the nba.Did u see lebron tryin to hit a baseball? He couldnt his a soft pitch on his documentary.Wayne Rooney played rugby a bit so im sure he would be alright in a pick football game unlike nba players trying to play footballOn a side note i play recreational baseball, football and soccer now and can tell u the soccer players all play other sports and are decent at all of them while the baseball guys cant play any other competitive sport and only two of the football guys play something else well ( rec basketball).

i really honestly wholeheartedly want to know if people think AMERICAN FOOTBALL is a difficult sport ... and that it is more difficult than "SOCCER" ... dude said all you have to do is RUN and KICK to play SOCCER ... ... ... ... ... ... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i'm out of here ... this is one argument not even worth my time getting in people's feelings ... if you honestly believe JIM THORPE was a better athlete than MARADONA, you should perform a lobotomy on yourself... ...

is that your thing? lol ... i mean, i can understand if you're a soccer player and you think soccer is more difficult than football ... that's fine, you're just wrong as a result of being a homer ...

but let's just focus on this Maradona and Jim Thorpe thing ... use your toes to type google in your address bar and look up Jim Thorpe ... come back and post either a) a concession speech or b) the name of your drug dealer ...

What about male gymnasts?  Those dudes are brolic.  They have strength, speed, quickness, endurance, agility, and sick reflexes.

Put it this way athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, leaping ability, strength, Which sport do being exceptional in these attributes benefit you the most? Look at the sports best players, higher the baseline of athletic excellence then the best players should also be the best athletes in that particular sport.

The best players in hockey and soccer are never usually the best pure athletes.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Put it this way athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, leaping ability, strength, Which sport do being exceptional in these attributes benefit you the most? Look at the sports best players, higher the baseline of athletic excellence then the best players should also be the best athletes in that particular sport.

The best players in hockey and soccer are never usually the best pure athletes.

Which is why "Soccer players are the best athletes in sports vol. no contest" might be the dumbest statement opinion in this whole thread....and its the damn thread title.

Originally Posted by MzD650

Trollolololol.

He's a blatant troll, regardless of what points he tries to bring up. You say athletes are people that can play multiple sports, that's half true. There's a reason athletes that play multiple sports are called multiple-sport athletes. Soccer players are 1 trick ponies just as much as other sports athletes.
Messi isn't a good example either. He's real small and pretty much only built for soccer. It's like saying Lincecum is one of the best pitchers in the league and I couldnt imagine him playing a single other sport. It's a bad argument because the kid is tall and lanky, and really only built to be a pitcher. It doesnt mean there arent baseball players that could play another sport.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by jmadidas2001

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Basically this. Entertaining such a discussion would require breaking down each sport into its athletic requirements and then seeing which one sport has the most requirements, which would then give us an idea of the best all-around athlete. For example, soccer requires speed, lower body strength, incredible coordination, balance, flexibility, agility, stamina, etc. 
But 
roll.gif
 @ the NBA being more physical than pro soccer. Can't seriously think a sport that calls touch fouls is more physical than a sport where TACKLING is key. 
Not sure if serious...honestly...I am not sure if anyone in this thread claiming that soccer players are even close athletically to any of the other sports named in this thread are serious...

"tackling" in soccer...you mean...sliding to kick the ball away right???
roll.gif
roll.gif

Any contact results in a yellow card in the "matches" that I have seen and even worse...some clown will fall down on the ground and and do the stop, drop and roll like he has been shot...waiting for the ref to pull a red card...resulting in the "tackler" being removed from the game, as well as the next game...

Oh yeah...then the gun-shot victim gets up and runs off to continue running his marathon while he waits 10-15 minutes to touch the ball again...

JM
Stop watching and try playing. When you're running full speed and someone also running full speed dives towards your legs with their cleats you won't be  
roll.gif

Too many sideline critics in this thread whose sports experience is no doubt is limited to pick up games in the driveway...
That's quite the response...

first and foremost 
laugh.gif

soccer is not difficult ... in fact, everyone on two legs can play soccer ... as long as you can get your cardio up, you can play soccer ... think back to how many kids couldn't play kickball in grade school ... there was maybe one of them "lee me alon" dudes with two left feet who stood and watched ... even the most awkward kids can kick a ball and run ...

that being said, these vaginas playing soccer couldnt last 3 seconds on a football field ... they couldnt hit a lick in baseball ... they couldnt shoot a basketball ... every single person playing any of the three major sports could play soccer at a relatively decent level ...

but all of what i just typed is irrelevant because the greatest athletes on earth are versatile ... Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete ever ... Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson were great ATHLETES ... none of these garbage $@@ soccer players are touching any of them ... hell, Jeremy Bloom is a better athlete than every single soccer player in the world ...
QFT.

JM

the way a lot of people are just tossing aside hockey as a simple skill sport is beyond me...but i don't blame most of you given the board and sports most have grown up playing.

osh...you being one of these people surprises me though. and besides, aren't you from canada for chrissake
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

the way a lot of people are just tossing aside hockey as a simple skill sport is beyond me...but i don't blame most of you given the board and sports you've grown up playing.

exactly. obviously there is going to be a bias in this thread as niketalk, generally speaking, is a self-selecting population. points reducing soccer to a sport anyone can play are incredibly ignorant. these nfl players wouldn't last 3 seconds in the premier league, la liga, serie a or any other major soccer league in the world. It's hard to say what sport has the best athletes as each has their fair share (drose in basketball, ronaldo in soccer, andre johnson in football, etc, etc...). 
anyone can play soccer, true..but anyone can also play basketball and football (which is way easier than soccer). smarten up, people, and stop being ignorant.

I grew up and live in Boston so ive been around hockey forever. Never played tbough because basketball owned my winter months. I grew up and went to high school with multiple kids who got drafted though and I must say hockey players arent the most impressive physical specimens out there. Most of them are tall and lean and are just unbelievably balanced and poised on the ice. Crazy stick work etc. Hockey players are the toughest/craziest dudes out there though.

But in general if you see an NBA or NFL player , you can tell their professional athletes by their size. That's often not the case with hockey players. Dont get me wrong though i love hockey and respect hockey players. The B's Stanley Cup run this year was some of the best fun i've had in a while.

^ i can definitely see the physical specimen stuff with football players. but not basketball players. my high school had state championship hockey, football, soccer, and basketball teams. and football was the only one with the freaks from a physical build standpoint.

but then again, build and frame alone isn't going to tell us who's the most athletic. says nothing about agility, coordination, endurance, speed, etc.

I'm throwing in rugby first and foremost. I doubt many of you have any idea what the hell it is (and quite frankly you have nothing to compare it to because it's not that big in America and for what is there, the standard isn't anywhere near that of what's here in New Zealand (no offence, but it's the truth, same as basketball is nowhere near as good here as in America)) but it is by far one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. They need fitness, strength, stamina, quick reflexes, the list goes on.

They run around on a 100 x 70m pitch (110 x 76.5 in yards) for eighty minutes, it's fast paced, tackles are huge, players have no protective gear and compared to the likes of NFL there are hardly any stoppages.

Hockey comes in at a close second for me in regards to physicality and fitness.

Football (I refuse to call it soccer) and basketball are pretty close in regards to fitness, stamina, acrobatics, contact etc

Did you go to high school in in Mass ? Just wondering because thats an impressive track record
laugh.gif

RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless

Made this case before. Making it again: Deion Sanders greatest all-around athlete ever. Greatest CB. .300-hitting CF. All-State basketball.

/thread

How does that end thread

Joe Mauer was national player of the year in HS for football and baseball (only player ever), and all state in basketball . He just chose a sport.

So I can cite one example and /thread ? Am I doing it right?

Originally Posted by shogun

What about male gymnasts?  Those dudes are brolic.  They have strength, speed, quickness, endurance, agility, and sick reflexes.

i said that a few pages back and its gotten no love. 
the real debate should be between Decathletes and Gymnasts, not soccer players v. american football players v Hockey players v etc. 

Back
Top Bottom