Some Jordan Collectors are Hypocrites, at least IMO...

Originally Posted by EMac291

Originally Posted by blco02

BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY SAW MJ PLAY IN THE SHOES.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO SNEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.

I hate old guys that think they know everything and can stereotype anyone and everyone.

Actually i didnt see all the ships mj won but i did see his last three since my dad was a fan and he got me being a fan, and its only a coincidence that my favorite are the 11 12 and 13 since i think the 14s is ugly. Either way, whether MJ wore em or not if a color way is ugly, its ugly.

That's why I hate "I have $150, which shoes should I buy?" question, where the answer is: "BUY WHAT YOU LIKE".

It's as simple as that. You don't have to care if other collectors are in fact "hypocrite" or not.

Originally Posted by MrRaiRai

I buy because I saw MJ play in a lot of those shoes. I remember when the Jordan I came out!!! Some of you guys have only seen the picture of the "Last Shot". Well I saw the game. That's why I like the OG colorways because I saw the man play in them. I do like some of the Retro+ colorways too.

Man I remember when the OG Fire Reds were on the clearance rack for $29.99 at JC Penney. That's right JC Penney.

DAMN I totally remember JC Penny sold Jordans!!...I seen the Maroon VI's on clearance rack too...Somebody gotta build a time machine...

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.

eek.gif
You're still here in JB, fighting the good fight.

To answer the topic raised by the thread, it is simple: nostalgia. There are things I would buy in a heartbeat right now simply because they are from mychildhood. If those things weren't around when I was a child, I would consider them ugly and overpriced and not touch them.
Let me put it to you anotherway:

Let's say Nike releases authentic Jordan jerseys but, instead of red, they make the jersey blue. Would you buy it?

End of discussion.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

eek.gif

To answer the topic raised by the thread, it is simple: nostalgia. There are things I would buy in a heartbeat right now simply because they are from my childhood. If those things weren't around when I was a child, I would consider them ugly and overpriced and not touch them.
Let me put it to you another way:

Let's say Nike releases authentic Jordan jerseys but, instead of red, they make the jersey blue. Would you buy it?

End of discussion.

sick.gif
@ blue bulls....well played

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Either way, whether MJ wore em or not if a color way is ugly, its ugly.
yup, some of yall take this too serious, feeling like you better than someone else cause you saw MJ play in a certain model or color, who gives a damn

I never saw MJ play in anything older than the maybe the VI or VII. I have seen pictures but not any live game or anything. I dont buy jordans because he played in them, I appreciate what he did in them, but I only buy the models and the colors that I like.
I Agree to both, Buy what you like, dont buy the shoe if you feel it's ugly, just because someone else like them. This generation is full ofcopy cats, no one think on there own any more.

Alot of people dont even like jordans, but they buy them anyway because i guess its the "in" thing. They feel as if they are not wearing j's theydont fit in, which is sad. You even have these grown*#@% rappers out here making songs about j's, talking about how they the **** because they are rockingJ's. Who gives a %*#%. I even had a shorty I was with tell me she dont like them but only buy j's to go to the club and show them off with a newoutfit, then she throw them in the closet or sell them
mad.gif

But my opinion on what the thread starters is saying can go both ways. Everyone dont look the same, have the same fingerprints, eat the same or dress the same,everyone has there own views. So it's pointless. I agree fully to what you are saying about people knocking these new colorways because they are not og, itkinda amaze me how stuborn some of the felow NT'ers are, give credit where its due.

Man, i was born in 1985, me and MJ got that connection
laugh.gif
anyway my dad collected old VCR tapes of games and dunk contests, well seeing Jordan in the either1985 or 1986 in Chicago(can't remember, burned that tape out) ::sidebar: OG heads DOMINIQUE WILKINS GOT ROBBED AGREE?: seeing him FLY was awe inspiring,and instantly I wanted those sneakers. man i used to think Jordans and 6-8 were complete trash but.... i swear watch footage...and poof the OG colors grow onyou. buy the DVD Ultimate Jordan....you'll see! Some people collect STAMPS for Christ sake why can't we collect J's.
laugh.gif

If you like the shoes, give credit where credit is due. I dont like all the OG's either. Not a particularly big fan of IX, X, XV, XVIII-the present. Iftheyre ugly to you, then dont force yourself to like a shoe just cuz said "sneakerheads" jizz all over them. Live your own damn lives...

I understand that people are into OG colors because that's what we saw him play in. I had at least one OG colorway from about VII-XIV and then realizedthat most of the shoes I was getting were because other people thought they were cool and I was just trying to have some cool $%it. Most people won't admitthat but I think that's what pulled a lot of people in. Not the reaction to seeing MJ dominate, but how great it felt owning something so great as a coolpair of shoes. It's just like most things with guys, everybody wants the best of the best of whatever it is. It was just the era that most of the OGcollectors grew up in. I can remember leaving school to pick up my pre-order with my mom and switching shoes right before I went back into school to flash myfresh new J's. Those are the memories I remember, not so much the games. Don't get me wrong, I remember a lot of great moments that MJ had on the courtand most of the times I can remember what shoes he had on. But to say that you only got the shoes because of what he did in a game is sometimes crazy to me.It's the same now. Some OG colors are harder to get than others. People collect them so they can come to forums like this and flex their OG collectionstrying to say "look what I have that you don't". People just trying to show off that they have some rare stuff. I love coming to this forum andchecking out what people have to say but some reactions/topics just get out of hand. I agree with buy what you like, but I would say that almost everyoneperson in here has bought a pair of J's just because somebody else thought they were cool and they were just trying to show off. Different strokes,different folks.

Like everyone else said, buy what you like and that's that. You can't come in putting everyone on shout and expect not to get a biased response though.Say word son.

For me I was 13 when MJ entered the league, so I remember who came to school with the first pair of each Jordan that dropped. I remember the kids that hadmultiple colors of the shoe. I remember discussing what MJ did the night before in the said shoe. These things make the connection stronger than if you go copa retro and watch some tapes from dad's closet. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the same or even comparable for that matter.

There were OG colors that I thought were ugly and would not purchase now or then. And the VIII was always an ugly shoe to me. I bought a pair of the whiteretros a few years back that to see if I had changed my mind. They still sit in my closet, unworn, untouched, unliked, as I suspect will continue to be thecase.

post starter's comments are dumb.

i was around when the originals dropped.

i copped the aquas, eventhough i i liked the black and red jordans, i was like yea, i dont have to have black and red or white and red on my feet all the time.
i had the hair 7s, that was just an ill shoe. i actually had all the sevens at one point.

but where im from, in SOCAL, jordans were well accepted.

so to say something like "if aquas cme out now, people would be hating" is a dumb comment, cause people werent hating when they first came out, atleast where im from.

i cop jordans for nostalgia value. they embody everything MJ did in that shoe. when you think of aqua eights, you think of jordan in the 93 all star game. wheni think of my black/red twelves, i think of jordan's famous flu game. of course all you think about when you see fourteens is his "last shot"against the jazz. i don't care if he wore orange and green with brown polka dots, i would still rock em just to take me back.

many of yall don't realize that the reason air jordans were so popular is because MJ wore them... not necessarilly the looks. people ran out to stores tobuy em because they wanted to be exactly like MJ. why do you think lows don't sell as much as mids/highs?

as far as looks, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how much nicer the color placement is on OGs. with all this new contrast stitching, and crazycolored uppers, the shoes look like a mess. if the DTRT's had a more subtle colorway like the OG threes had, they would've sold much better and beenbetter received.

Originally Posted by Patrik1tha1

i had the hair 7s, that was just an ill shoe. i actually had all the sevens at one point.
What are HAIR VII's? LOLOLOL

If grapes, carmines, those 7s from MJ vs Mike Jackson commercial, aquas, and shadows were not OGs everyone would be hating on those, talking about how Jordan Brand has been putting out crap and all this other stuff you guys be saying.

i agree wit most of ur statement but come on' i fell in love with grapes, carmines and aquas before i even knew they were an oG colorway now on theother hand shadows make me wanna cry....... but all in all ur completely right i thought hares were too plain before i found out they were an oG colorway

except da 16s and 9s he didn't wear thoze but all in all true but may i add its shoes he wore and made memories with

Originally Posted by drznumba1

If grapes, carmines, those 7s from MJ vs Mike Jackson commercial, aquas, and shadows were not OGs everyone would be hating on those, talking about how Jordan Brand has been putting out crap and all this other stuff you guys be saying.

i agree wit most of ur statement but come on' i fell in love with grapes, carmines and aquas before i even knew they were an oG colorway now on the other hand shadows make me wanna cry....... but all in all ur completely right i thought hares were too plain before i found out they were an oG colorway

Don't get banned before you find out why...

Concord XI's didn't sell well at all when they came out.
Actually, they did.

Another NT rumor gone wild.

This man speaks the truth....I remmeber back in 1995 everyone i knew had a pair. It was either the Concords or the AI Questions.

question1.jpg
or
aj11_wht_blk_7.jpg

Originally Posted by indohan

i agree wit most of ur statement but come on' i fell in love with grapes, carmines and aquas before i even knew they were an oG colorway now on the other hand shadows make me wanna cry....... but all in all ur completely right i thought hares were too plain before i found out they were an oG colorway

why would i get banned?

Aaah reminds me of the post I made of the same subject last year...

I can give a **** what MJ had on his feet. I buy Jordans because they are good looking shoes. I love the LeBrons also, each and every one in his SignatureLine, but I'm not buying them because he wears them. I know Lebron and MJ are in totally different leagues, but you get the point... OG = Overrated imo.I'm 20, but had been a fan of the Bulls since around 94.

O and us "young cats" can relate to Jordan also! You OG's are not the only one's that have seen him play! And no, I'm not talkin ESPNClassic. We have as much say so as you do. It may not hold as much weight, because obviously you guys have seen more of him over the past than we have, butdamn can we get some respect? I can def respect you all's arguements, but the way you rant and rave about how "ignorant" us young cats are, I andprobably many others grow bitter towards you OG's. Chill out, walk away from your computer, get an ice cold glass of water, and come back and state youropinion. If you're so tired of going through this, why don't you just educate us on the points of why you collect instead of flaming? Yall quick toflame but slow to actually consider some valid points. Stop being so sensitive...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by indohan

why would i get banned?

You're good to go now. At least you found out and changed before you get banned
smile.gif
nycknicks105 wrote:

Concord XI's didn't sell well at all when they came out.
Actually, they did.

Another NT rumor gone wild.

This man speaks the truth....I remmeber back in 1995 everyone i knew had a pair. It was either the Concords or the AI Questions.

question1.jpg
or
aj11_wht_blk_7.jpg

Well, actually I saw much more Uptempos more than AI's.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

eek.gif

To answer the topic raised by the thread, it is simple: nostalgia. There are things I would buy in a heartbeat right now simply because they are from my childhood. If those things weren't around when I was a child, I would consider them ugly and overpriced and not touch them.
Let me put it to you another way:

End of discussion.
Absolutely!....as long as it's a Wizards jersey.
laugh.gif

I hate old guys that think they know everything and can stereotype anyone and everyone.

Actually i didnt see all the ships mj won but i did see his last three since my dad was a fan and he got me being a fan, and its only a coincidence that my favorite are the 11 12 and 13 since i think the 14s is ugly. Either way, whether MJ wore em or not if a color way is ugly, its ugly.

Sorry EMAC219 but blco02 hit the nail on the head & many here on NT agree with him as do I. Age isnt necessarily a signifier of good taste but whereJordans are concerned it means you can better understand the legacy, the meaning behind it all and why it even begins to exist today. Not to mention the factthat you have a better understanding on why the more recent ones are TRASH compared to how they used to be...so who are you to come in here and dictate whatexactly good taste means??
laugh.gif

Personally i think a new jack like you should complain more about the QUALITY that were getting recently (in your era) rather than colourways. Why? Because anOG or hot new colourway on a piece of trash still equals TRASH, and I sure as hell am NOT seeing plenty good new colours lately either...
grin.gif

I agree 100 percent with this thread!! I am also not that young. I watched MJ's last 4 years as a bull and I have to agree that if the new colorways wereOG colorways, they would be soldout now and if the ogs were retroes, they would be sittin on shelves. When the aquas dropped this past year, EVERYONE and theirmama owned a pair. I seen so many kids rockin them with the straps hanging out and everytime I would be thinking to myself, I bet they dont even like the shoe.People just buy whats popular. If a bunch of people online say one shoe is hot cuz its an OG even if it has all the colors of the rainbow, the shoe will sell.Then they will find a way to make it match somehow. Oh well this was a great thread.

Back
Top Bottom