Some Jordan Collectors are Hypocrites, at least IMO...

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Man, i was born in 1985, me and MJ got that connection
laugh.gif
anyway my dad collected old VCR tapes of games and dunk contests, well seeing Jordan in the either 1985 or 1986 in Chicago(can't remember, burned that tape out) ::sidebar: OG heads DOMINIQUE WILKINS GOT ROBBED AGREE?: seeing him FLY was awe inspiring, and instantly I wanted those sneakers. man i used to think Jordans and 6-8 were complete trash but.... i swear watch footage...and poof the OG colors grow on you. buy the DVD Ultimate Jordan....you'll see! Some people collect STAMPS for Christ sake why can't we collect J's.
laugh.gif
Dominque robbed???? all he had was the windmill

Originally Posted by soychulo

For me I was 13 when MJ entered the league, so I remember who came to school with the first pair of each Jordan that dropped. I remember the kids that had multiple colors of the shoe. I remember discussing what MJ did the night before in the said shoe. These things make the connection stronger than if you go cop a retro and watch some tapes from dad's closet. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the same or even comparable for that matter.

There were OG colors that I thought were ugly and would not purchase now or then. And the VIII was always an ugly shoe to me. I bought a pair of the white retros a few years back that to see if I had changed my mind. They still sit in my closet, unworn, untouched, unliked, as I suspect will continue to be the case.

I was FOUR when he started, but like you, i remember the people that had them first and i was angry bc i couldnt afford them LOL

Originally Posted by rgrooms13

Originally Posted by soychulo

For me I was 13 when MJ entered the league, so I remember who came to school with the first pair of each Jordan that dropped. I remember the kids that had multiple colors of the shoe. I remember discussing what MJ did the night before in the said shoe. These things make the connection stronger than if you go cop a retro and watch some tapes from dad's closet. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the same or even comparable for that matter.

There were OG colors that I thought were ugly and would not purchase now or then. And the VIII was always an ugly shoe to me. I bought a pair of the white retros a few years back that to see if I had changed my mind. They still sit in my closet, unworn, untouched, unliked, as I suspect will continue to be the case.

I was FOUR when he started, but like you, i remember the people that had them first and i was angry bc i couldnt afford them LOL

I had the same feeling. My parents never had enough money to buy Jordans for seven children. That's part of the reason I buy them now. Icouldn't afford them as a kid.

Originally Posted by 3thaman

DOMINIQUE WILKINS GOT ROBBED AGREE?:
It was 1988 in Chicago. And yes Nique did get robbed, he damn near tore the rim down a couple of times.
smokin.gif

Thank you for the year i just looked up the info on it Man i wish i still had that tape, and YES NiQUE did get robbed for those who don't agreewatch the video. He had his flattop and eyebrows above the rim.
laugh.gif
No way they weren't going to give it to MJ IN Chicago. haha

3thaman wrote:
DOMINIQUE WILKINS GOT ROBBED AGREE?:
It was 1988 in Chicago. And yes Nique did get robbed, he damn near tore the rim down a couple of times.
smokin.gif

Thank you for the year i just looked up the info on it Man i wish i still had that tape, and YES NiQUE did get robbed for those who don't agree watch the video. He had his flattop and eyebrows above the rim.
laugh.gif

I love MJ, so I can't say he didn't deserve the trophy. That said, don't you wish we could get dunk contests now with the best dunkers in thegame? They wouldn't compete for fear of injury or some other lame excuse. Those old-school guys did it for the love of competition and the game. My, howthings have changed...

well i've been watching the NBA since 79-80, therefore i've seen Mike enter the league. that being said "og" colorways mean absolutelynothing to me. i could give a crap if "he wore it". i buy what i like nothing more. my favorite color is blue so i am partial to the bluecolorways. the only "og" colors that i actually like are that of the iii, iv, v (even though i think laneys> wht/red),vi and a few others like theXlll. as a matter of fact i think the chambray vii's are one of the best if not the best vii ever. also concordswere og right? guess what ? imo space jams >>>concords. it's all about preference.
oh yeah Nique did get robbed. the judges were so swingin on mike's pole it wasn't even funny.
mad.gif

"Let's say Nike releases authentic Jordan jerseys but, instead of red, they make the jersey blue. Would you buy it? "

I agree with you but not with the grape and carmines part... I didn't read the whole thing but I would def cop the 11s no matter what.

Originally Posted by bonafide125

"Let's say Nike releases authentic Jordan jerseys but, instead of red, they make the jersey blue. Would you buy it? "

if it was the Washington Wizards... then yes i would. i can't stand red and blk. the only red and blk j's ilike are the iv's, iii's ,stealth xx, and maybe a few others. as i said blue is my fav color and i think that the cool grey/flint colorways are sick.example. spacejams/cool grey xi>>>>>blk/red xi, french vii's>>blk/red vii. flint xiii's>>>blk/red xiii's. caroxiv>"last shots" the only time i'd take a blk/red colorway would be blk/cem iii's(don't really count) over the true blues. and that isby a hair. oh and of course i'd take infared vi over the midnight vi.

I see what you are saying. All Jordan has to do is be seen in public with some of these new retro + colorways and more people will like them. At the end of theday, most people started liking Jordans because of well ermm Jordan.

Originally Posted by blco02

BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY SAW MJ PLAY IN THE SHOES.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO SNEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.
amen to that brah..nuff said..

Originally Posted by blco02

BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY SAW MJ PLAY IN THE SHOES.

THAT'S WHY WE GOT INTO SNEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I hate young kids coming in here and telling us older guys what we should like, when they have no idea why we're here in the first place.

lock this thread.

Thank you for the year i just looked up the info on it Man i wish i still had that tape, and YES NiQUE did get robbed for those who don't agree watch the video. He had his flattop and eyebrows above the rim.
laugh.gif
Nique did NOT get robbed

in the 84, 85, 86, 88, and 90 contests Nique only used 4 dunks , the windmill, 360, double pumpreverse, and sometimes a tomahawk . and you gotta remember that back then there were 8 contestants and 3 ROUNDS of dunking , meaning Nique was repeating dunksthroughout the whole competition . it really comes down to a matter of preference ... do you prefer power dunking or finesse ?

that being said , Jordan definitely jumped from the foul line twice , but im a huge MJ fanatic so i aint complaining
tongue.gif

Prez T wrote:

Thank you for the year i just looked up the info on it Man i wish i still had that tape, and YES NiQUE did get robbed for those who don't agree watch
the

video. He had his flattop and eyebrows above the rim.
laugh.gif
No way they weren't
going

to give it to MJ IN Chicago. haha
Nique did NOT get robbed

in the 84, 85, 86, 88, and 90 contests Nique only used 4 dunks , the windmill, 360, double pump

reverse, and sometimes a tomahawk . and you gotta remember that back then there were 8 contestants and 3 ROUNDS of dunking , meaning Nique was repeating
dunks

throughout the whole competition . it really comes down to a matter of preference ... do you prefer power dunking or finesse ?

that being said , Jordan definitely jumped from the foul line twice , but im a huge MJ fanatic so i aint complaining

tongue.gif

Jordan is that dude.....don't get me wrong..... but NiQUE was getting it done that night! (also the first time i saw him in a dunk contest!)
laugh.gif
IMO he
got him until jordan SLOWLY walked back to the opposite baseline.... crowd blew up... and then he COCKED the ball back mid air! ALSO this tHREAD is dead!

I am young also so what I say may not be as important as what everyone else says, I agree with everyone saying you saw him play in those color ways of all theshoes and that is why you like them and I respect everyones opinion, but all in all it comes down to whether you like the shoe or not.

In some cases, people even bought jordans because they saw tu-pac or other famous people wearing them also, so they bought the shoes because they wanted to belike them, there are to many answers to this post because everyone has a different opinion.

Myself, i did not catch Michael Jordan play at all in a bulls uniform unless it was on espn classic or videos my uncle liked to watch "Come Fly WithMe" "Michael Jordan's Playground" so I cant say anything about him doing so and so in a certain pair of shoes unless i saw it on youtube orsomething. I was able to see him in a Wizards uniform which was also great to
happy.gif

As far as collecting Jordans, I would have never got into shoes if it weren't for my older brothers who did see MJ play and were able to see him play whilethey were growing up. When it comes to collecting for me, I buy what I like because I dont care about what other people say. If you like it then itshouldn't matter what other people say or care about. I also play basketball so that kind of opened everything up also. Everyone has a reason why they likea certain shoe as well as I do myself, I really like the blk/red xi RETRO (which im still looking for sz 9.5) because that was an experience I had with mybrothers, waking up at 6 AM to go to the mall and buy them at champs/footlocker and i was only in the 5th grade. MJ also won a championship in these also sothat is something I look up to because it takes a lot for a team to be #1

A lot of the older Nike Basketball shoes are the same way (ex - CB34) people bought these because they saw Charles Barkley do work on the court, so it bringsback memories to people so they feel good in a way to be able to buy a shoe they had when they were younger. Just as Jordans do

In the end it comes down to whether you like it or not, if you have "history" with the shoe as some people do, or if you just plain got to see MJplay in them and it reminds you about how he used to own all day or anything. As I said before there are many different opinions so this post could go on forawhile with everyone saying the same thing or people saying what they think.

Originally Posted by rgrooms13

blco02 wrote:

Concord XI's didn't sell well at all when they came out.
Actually, they did.

Another NT rumor gone wild.

^^ i dont know of any that didnt sell well in his prime... where do people get this stuff?

They get it because they have a good memory. ijapino already stated precisely what happened.

They did sell well, but it was a late surge. When they initially dropped, theConcords sat on shelves for quite a while. You could go to your local spot & cop whatever size you were months after they came out. To my knowledge, theywere the first really mainstream or high-profile shoe to use patent leather or clear soles (maybe both) and they were different. Some people thought they weretoo shiny or looked like "bad dress shoes". This was when the new Jordan dropped in early November, btw and as you know, NBA games don't have asmuch steam nationally early in the season due to NFL dominance on tv, so it wasn't like the whole public was seeing the shoes in action often.

As the season continued, more people started seeing him play in them and as they got more exposure, they started sellingquite fast. The Columbia's really gave the greatest push to the all-star weekend release for signature shoes and they sold out quickly, especially amongfemales. I don't think I have to explain how quick the black/red XI's were gone by that point.

Point is, they sold well, but were not an instant sellout like many people would think. I remember all aspects of the OGXI very well, from people buying the IE's just because they sold out of the black/red's and slight confusion since they were the first low-cut versionof a signature Jordan, to there being two different boxes for the XI (Jordan box or generic brown/dark orange Nike box).

man you are so on point
who would like the carmines now? those colors are super wack
the truth is jordan collectors include a lot of over analyzing nerds...ruining the shoe game

Originally Posted by d e beatup

rgrooms13 wrote:

blco02 wrote:

Concord XI's didn't sell well at all when they came out.
Actually, they did.

Another NT rumor gone wild.

^^ i dont know of any that didnt sell well in his prime... where do people get this stuff?

They get it because they have a good memory. ijapino already stated precisely what happened.

They did sell well, but it was a late surge. When they initially dropped, the
Concords sat on shelves for quite a while. You could go to your local spot & cop whatever size you were months after they came out. To my knowledge, they
were the first really mainstream or high-profile shoe to use patent leather or clear soles (maybe both) and they were different. Some people thought they were
too shiny or looked like "bad dress shoes". This was when the new Jordan dropped in early November, btw and as you know, NBA games don't have as
much steam nationally early in the season due to NFL dominance on tv, so it wasn't like the whole public was seeing the shoes in action often.

As the season continued, more people started seeing him play in them and as they got more exposure, they started selling
quite fast. The Columbia's really gave the greatest push to the all-star weekend release for signature shoes and they sold out quickly, especially among
females. I don't think I have to explain how quick the black/red XI's were gone by that point.

Point is, they sold well, but were not an instant sellout like many people would think. I remember all aspects of the OG
XI very well, from people buying the IE's just because they sold out of the black/red's and slight confusion since they were the first low-cut version
of a signature Jordan, to there being two different boxes for the XI (Jordan box or generic brown/dark orange Nike box).

You were pretty accurate on most points except that the XI was the first low cut version. It wasn't. The Jordan 2's were the first low cuts.

jordan2nbapic2.jpg

If you grew up in the 90's then you know what it was like, everyother house had a rolling baskeball hoop on their sidewalk and wal-mart had the sickbasketball sets on display like damn I want that glass one with the extra wide backboard that says "Monster Lightning" or some crap, all that wasspecial to us, B-Ball reached it's height of popularity and MJ was the KING. OG colorways recapture that feeling we had as kids, and that's why theyare more sought after than retro+ colorways.

man you are so on point
who would like the carmines now? those colors are super wack
the truth is jordan collectors include a lot of over analyzing nerds...ruining the shoe game
real talk , the Carmines are gorgeous to me

they are my fav pair of AJs and have been since i was young ... i remember watching ESPN The Year inSports 1992 , it was one of my first times seeing Jordan highlights . i remember when it got to the NBA part and they were showing highlights from the beg ofthe 91-92 season Jordan was schooling dudes in the VIs . this one clip of him dunking on Hersey Hawkins stuck out to me , with Jordan getting an "and1" and dragging his Carmine in slow motion over Hawkins shoulder . ever since ive fallen in love with the shoe . its memories like this that make peopleget excited and geeked up when OG colors are retroed

this clip has the dunk im talking about ... it starts at 4:57 . even though its not the same angle as the one used in theoriginal clip that made me fall in love w the Carmines , you can get the picture
smile.gif

I agree with the bordeaux 7s and shadow 10s or the orange-leather 22s for example being ugly, that's why I don't or didn't get them.
To be honest, I only collect Js in OG colorways, cause I also saw him play and win championships wearing them.
But not every retro or retro+ colorway is ugly or futuristic.
I'd say everyone decides on his own what he gets ... right?

Originally Posted by odiggidy

oh and of course i'd take infared vi over the midnight vi.

Hmm but sport blue 6s
pimp.gif
over Infrareds
smokin.gif
right??
I honestly like the blue colorways over the black.white/red ones now too

True blues > white cements (maybe black cements too)
Sport blues > infrareds
Powder blue 10s > shadows
Columbias > Black and red 11s
flint 13s > black and red 13s
OG blue 14s > all 14s

You get the point...
And as said before...Doesnt matter if its an OG or not..If its ugly its ugly, if its hot its hot

Back
Top Bottom