Stanford swimmer sentenced to 6 months for rape.

So let me get this straight. Now your defense is other cases. Do you realize you are supporting what @LIONBLOOD said?

He said those instances aren't related with this and shouldn't even be mentioned. That you have issues. Yet you respond not about this case in which you obviously know few details about, but about other cases, so you actually end up proving his point :lol:

Which is why I was clowning that dumb logic in the first place. You're brilliant :lol:

Aight my G

This exchange exhibits everything in my post ...

If you're not ready with the pitchfork at the utterance of rape, then you're somehow for rape.

Carry on, famb. You've just proven my point

I want someone to sit with the judge, 1 on 1,and ask him if he thought that jail would have negative effects on the hundreds of other people that he's sentenced. And sit there quietly and let the judge make a fool of himself.

If ALL the things he could've said 'jail will have negative effects on him' somehow was blurted out.

I like the idea of your comment because I do want to see the convo expand. I think the facts of this case make it difficult to be a catalyst for that tho.

For example, I am under the assumption that if Brock Turner was black and he got a lenient sentence, we would be able to discuss those grey areas a little more. Tweak a few things in a given scenario, and in a strange turn of events, I could see a benefit of the doubt given and more critical analysis allowed. At least from the brothers in this thread.

Not to say we would give him a straight up pass or anything like that. But we could at least allow somebody to present a contrary opinion.

Agreed...

it's a bit of the "I can call my wife fat, but you can't dynamic" if that makes sense.

Honestly,i have not don't too much reading on this case. I haven't followed it. I just found out through social media.

What's different about a rape dynamic, is that a contradictory opinion does not go all the way to "he's not guilty". Y'all can actually agree.

With rape, all parties can agree that the dude is wrong and should be thrown under.

But within it, if someone says "they were both very drunk and consent was not clearly stated nor denied" people will look at you crazy...

Because you're not in full agreement with them on how things transpired.

Lack of communication really stops this conversation from progression.

I do agree that the knee jerk reaction to the word stops us from honestly discussing and fully understanding rape.

While I don't condone a lot of the wild comments some people threw out in here, there is definitely a larger conversation to be had and we wont get there until we shed all the emotion around the word and act and have a full discussion. It's an issue with a lot of things.

It's the same thing with topics like transgender people and bathrooms. Anytime you let out a different opinion, you have to preface it with a disclaimer. There is some discussion to be had on these topics, though. It's really a bit of a tightrope walk, though...because you have people like ninjahood who aren't interested in an honest discussion but instead just throws around their opinion in the thread like Shaq in the paint in 99-00.

I do agree that the knee jerk reaction to the word stops us from honestly discussing and fully understanding rape.

While I don't condone a lot of the wild comments some people threw out in here, there is definitely a larger conversation to be had and we wont get there until we shed all the emotion around the word and act and have a full discussion. It's an issue with a lot of things.

It's the same thing with topics like transgender people and bathrooms. Anytime you let out a different opinion, you have to preface it with a disclaimer. There is some discussion to be had on these topics, though. It's really a bit of a tightrope walk, though...because you have people like ninjahood who aren't interested in an honest discussion but instead just throws around their opinion in the thread like Shaq in the paint in 99-00.
it's not the difference of opinion though it's the difference of opinion when it's not relevant

Dudes want to bring up girls lying about rape, being convicted with no proof, the legal definition of rape blah blah etc when this specific rape case is clear cut.

It screams alllivesmatter in a blacklivematters discussion

it's not the difference of opinion though it's the difference of opinion when it's not relevant

Dudes want to bring up girls lying about rape, being convicted with no proof, the legal definition of rape blah blah etc when this specific rape case is clear cut.

It screams alllivesmatter in a blacklivematters discussion

Going to a breast cancer walk, and going, what about lung or skin cancer?

And some of them still don't seem to get it.

I don't see where some people think there is a grey area.

- Both the assailant and victim went to the same party.
- Both the assailant and victim drank a lot of alcohol.
- The victim drank enough alcohol to become completely inebriated to the point of passing out.
- By law, if your BAC level above the legal limit you are no longer coherent enough to make sound decisions including consent to intercourse.
- She passed out.
- He removed her clothing while behind the dumpster and proceeded to sexually assault her.
- He was stopped by two PhD students
- He attempted to run away (He obviously knew he was wrong)
- He was caught

Ignorance or obliviousness to the law is not an excuse.
"I'm sorry Mr. Officer I didn't know" doesn't fly.
His prior history and model citizenship is irrelevant, every criminal at some point was a good person in their life.
Every criminal at some point committed their first crime, why is this kid any different?

There is no grey area to discuss, we know exactly happened because it is not hearsay. There is no "he said, she said" because the two witnesses saw what he was doing, saved this girl's life, stopped him from doing any more damage than he had already done, and apprehended this POS so the police could make the arrest. This is as open and shut case as we've seen in awhile. And yet, proper justice was not served.

^^yall are def right about that. Women lying shouldnt even be referenced, that immediately closes the door to discussion.

the white privilege dripping all over this case is remarkable, and it is also something that closes the door. As a minority I can admit I cant look pass it. and then couple that with the act being rape, which is one of the most deplorable crimes, it's a deal breaker on the convo advancing. That is the stance many have and its their right to have it.

But for analysis sake, if I chose to put those two train a thoughts to the side and analyze another individual in this role, with some of Brock Turner's profile replaced with different attributes, to get an understanding, not agreement, but understanding of where he could possibly be coming from with his attempt to rationalize.... I dont think that is harmful or inappropriate, if done with enough intelligence and sensitivity*

Some will say hell no. some will say why bother... but I personally see value in analyzing and discussing it further. It could lead to a broader perspective and problem solving, and teaching.

are there people that think its a grey area in this case though? I would think that would be difficult to arrive to with the facts we have been presented...

only way i can see a grey area being argued in this particular case is if somebody wanted to try to outline a min by min recap of both actions on that night once they were together.

even then i dont see how grey it could get. woman was unconscious, he wasnt. he had to realize that no matter how messed up he was.

Last edited:
Only way I can see a grey area is if he was found not guilty. We are literally discussing a man found guilty of raping a woman only getting six months in jail.

^^yall are def right about that. Women lying shouldnt even be referenced, that immediately closes the door to discussion.

the white privilege dripping all over this case is remarkable, and it is also something that closes the door. As a minority I can admit I cant look pass it. and then couple that with the act being rape, which is one of the most deplorable crimes, it's a deal breaker on the convo advancing. That is the stance many have and its their right to have it.

But for analysis sake, if I chose to put those two train a thoughts to the side and analyze another individual in this role, with some of Brock Turner's profile replaced with different attributes, to get an understanding, not agreement, but understanding of where he could possibly be coming from with his attempt to rationalize.... I dont think that is harmful or inappropriate, if done with enough intelligence and sensitivity*

Some will say hell no. some will say why bother... but I personally see value in analyzing and discussing it further. It could lead to a broader perspective and problem solving, and teaching.

How is understanding dudes bs rationalizations at all important? Like what are you really trying to get at? Srs question.

If i steal from you and lie about it i can garuantee you that your prioriry will be a.) Getting your stuff back and b.) Making sure you get justice and a distant 3rd MIGHT be you trying to understand the lies i told throughout the process.

When white cop shoots black kid do you sit there and really try to understand how and why the cop is trying to rationalize his actions or do you realize they lie to save their own neck? Im really clueless as to where your trying to " extend this convo" and for what purpose.

How is understanding dudes bs rationalizations at all important? Like what are you really trying to get at? Srs question.

If i steal from you and lie about it i can garuantee you that your prioriry will be a.) Getting your stuff back and b.) Making sure you get justice and a distant 3rd MIGHT be you trying to understand the lies i told throughout the process.

When white cop shoots black kid do you sit there and really try to understand how and why the cop is trying to rationalize his actions or do you realize they lie to save their own neck? Im really clueless as to where your trying to " extend this convo" and for what purpose.

Im confused on how you can ask me that or think those examples you provided are valid. Have you not paid attention to the news lately man?

Rape Culture is real. How do you solve a problem if you cant even define all aspects of? Rape culture deserves a proper analysis breakdown and solution.

Like I said previously, this case is hard to be a catalyst for that. But I can acknowledge that a conversation can be had on the topic without taking away from this case and the judge.

Im not advocating advancing a convo on such a serious topic on NT either. I added my comments because I saw how a few people were being responded to in this thread that tried to.

And you really should have thought harder about both examples you provided.

“I want him to be punished, but as a human, I just want him to get better,” the victim said, according to the probation officer’s report. “I don’t want him to feel like his life is over and I don’t want him to rot away in jail; he doesn’t need to be behind bars.”
The victim interviewed by a police officer during the investigation...

I think I could feel pretty confident that that same officer has detained or arrested plenty of black men for the most minute reasons

Perhaps you didnt convey what you were thinking effectively. If you want to understand whats causing people to behave like this young man. Analyzing the culture and the enviornment and the morals to get to the root of the cause thats one thing. I can understand that. But it seems like you said you want to understand his attempts to rationalize his behavior after the fact. Thats not the issue. I think its pretty clear his motivation after the fact was to stay out of jail.

The examples were valid. Would you be willing to "set aside those trains of thoughts" in the examples i provided? If you were the victim, how important is it to understand the lies a thief is telling? Or the fabrications of a cop who unjustly killed someone. Analyzing those specific factors have very little to do with solving the problem and the motivations behind them are really quite obvious. Self preservation. And the same goes for this young man and his lack of accountability.

I think the main issue is that some people here are talking about overall rape culture and others are speaking specifically on the case.

Perhaps you didnt convey what you were thinking effectively. If you want to understand whats causing people to behave like this young man. Analyzing the culture and the enviornment and the morals to get to the root of the cause thats one thing. I can understand that. But it seems like you said you want to understand his attempts to rationalize his behavior after the fact. Thats not the issue. I think its pretty clear his motivation after the fact was to stay out of jail.

The examples were valid. Would you be willing to "set aside those trains of thoughts" in the examples i provided? If you were the victim, how important is it to understand the lies a thief is telling? Or the fabrications of a cop who unjustly killed someone. Analyzing those specific factors have very little to do with solving the problem and the motivations behind them are really quite obvious. Self preservation. And the same goes for this young man and his lack of accountability.

Honestly whats wrong with both? I referenced his rationale because it was made known he was attempting to blame this on a culture of binge drinking. Explore that and expose every piece of that to show that its still no possible room for there to be any type of credence there. You cant do that without analysis.

Kids do drugs and drink a lot in college, then they make bad decisions. If you agree with that statement and dont go further, you are open to receive all type of attempts from people creating scenarios that they view as equivalent or understandable.

here is what I think about your example, the thief is stealing because he is poor and in poverty. How do we find solutions to poverty to prevent the next thief from rationalizing his actions like the last thief? A victim isn't thinking about that, you are correct. But a business owner, legislative analyst or policy writer would, yes?

I dont have to put myself in the victims shoes, im not lacking empathy. I think you are assuming I have an issue with somebody not caring about the why's and how's etc

I don't, if thats how you operate all the time, cool. But for better or worse some people analyze things.

You don't have to understand the rationale behind his backwards thinking. The only thing to understand is that there is no valid consent when the other party is incapacitated. You can do all the research you want about what the effects of drugs and alcohol but those are moot points in felony cases like this.

How much analysis does it take to understand binge drinking isnt a cause of rape? Do we really need to delve deep to realize thats simply an excuse for an inexcusable action?

What does examining a theifs poverty rationale do to solve poverty? Thats two different convos. If we eliminate poverty do we eliminate theivery? No, theres millionaires who steal. If we eliminate binge drinking and party culture do we eliminate rape? Of course not. Analyzing the rationale does no good if the person is not being honest about their rationale and simply trying to minimize the situation to save their own neck.

Ironically the judge's sentence might have more of a negative impact on Brock's life than a harsher sentence would have.

How much is it to buy a new identity? Kinda like witness protection but in this case he'll just be buying a new life, ssn, etc. He definitely has a scarlet letter. The ironic part is that the judges leniant sentence gave the case hella noteriety, thus making him/his name more recognizable. Maybe this was the judges intent all along: let the world know about him and allow them to stone him. If that's the case than dude is a new level justice.

Has anyone heard of any females that have come out saying 'he's hot' like they did the theater shooter and Charles manson? I guarantee there are some women out there that are intrigued by him.

And lastly, the blatant bias by the media was so laughable, convicted rapist, yet they find a respectable photo of him :lol: any person of color would've had the mugshot on deck the moment the story broke. Not surprising for a race to look out for their own kind though, still ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom