State of the Sneaker Industry...let's discuss.

Whether you currently buy all of the latest sneakers, have slowed your buying down, or are retired, we are all members of NT because we have a love for sneakers. We all have our feelings about limited releases, store exclusives, online launches, line ups, etc, so I want to use this thread to discuss the state of the sneaker industry. This is a chance for old men like myself, and the younger buyers that drive the shoe corporations to discuss anything related to sneakers.

I would like to get your thoughts specifically on the shift from the use of high quality leather, to the use of synthetic materials in today's sneakers. Today's flyknit, foamposite, and mesh shoes are lighter, stronger, and more flexible than the leather shoes of the past, but it's impossible for me to spend $200+ on what IMO are "performance socks". To me the leather sneaker was more durable, provided better support, and was an overall better product that I didn't mind spending $150 for.

Prices are only going to increase, so what makes today's sneakers at $200+ worth the price, and at what price is too much for a sneaker make of so many synthetic materials?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Shoes in the 90's were sp dope as far as quality.. Real leather that you can smell as soon as you open the box.. I remember $140 for some shoes back then was expensive like paying $200 for soem shoes now..smh

nothing makes them worth 200+

as long a people keep buying them, nike is just going to continue to raise the price

i think the outlook is pretty good!

nike has seen its stock rise 20 dollars in the last year alone, while adidas has seen a minor gain of about 6 dollars. 

meanwhile under armour has nearly doubled in the last year, closing friday at 83 and change

the state of the sneaker industry is not doing too bad!!

The state of the sneaker industry is great!...if you're a shareholder and/or employee. The use of synthetics allows companies like Nike to keep costs low while raising the price tag to whatever ridiculous figure they want.

I first got into shoes because of skateboarding. I saw that "SB" underneath the Nike tag on the tongue of some dunks and knew I had to have some. I gradually transitioned to Jordan's when I left the skateboard behind for sports. Then a price increase came. Then another one. I looked into Nike, found out about about how they were (and still are) using sweatshops and I decided to swear off all Nike products. Haven't bought any since the 11/12 CDP and don't intend to... Not that it matters. I spent 1000s in retail. :smh:

But its too late. People like us (the "sneakerheads" of the last couple decades) have driven the hype up so now that everyone and their mama needs the new J's... Its a status symbol now. Which is all the more reason for me to never buy them again... Too much thirst, too much money (for low quality,) and too many people rocking em.

Give me a pair of Sperry's any day.

We got a bit of suckers out here.. Quality has been at its lowest for a while, hitting a plateau over the past few years. But prices continue to rise? Most should get out while they're ahead

Last edited:
Sold of of my shoes and kept what I like

Lately the shoes I've sold are coming back to me again but at a bargain price. No way I can pay retail + again

I don't want to sound like I'm defending Nike or anything, but I hope everyone realizes that money inflates over time. A $150 sneaker in 1995 would be $233 in 2014. So technically the price isn't that bad, but I do agree on the materials and quality lacking throughout the years.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending Nike or anything, but I hope everyone realizes that money inflates over time. A $150 sneaker in 1995 would be $233 in 2014. So technically the price isn't that bad, but I do agree on the materials and quality lacking throughout the years.

somebody already debunked this. They adjusted prices from '88 to now according to inflation and it wasn't $200

True, but no need for development for retros, or tooling, and the price difference is compounded by using cheaper materials, and Chinese labor.

Please, the materials garbage' now, I just paid 155 for some 95s for Xmas' . Now in the spur of the moment my boys wanted to play roughhouse. 2 games to 21 and the bubble part of the shoe and sole ripped...I had to crazy glue it. Yea their running shoes,not ball ,But they still shouldn't be made like the variants we used to see when the shoes were made with REAL material.

That whole lighter, faster, stronger ,material they use today won't last you a months worth of wearing. /agree with homie who said timbs, tried n true since 1922

The negativity cracks me up :lol:

Why do people bring up quality constantly? There's more to sneakers than retros.

So Kobe's aren't quality?
Lebron's aren't quality?
Jordan XX8's aren't quality?
Flynit runners aren't quality?
Lunargrand's aren't quality?
New Balance Made In The USA?

Expand your horizons. There's more than just Nike and Jordan retros out there.

I think some people just like to whine and complain.

Is that not what this post is about in general? The sneakers compared to then and now? Bruh retros are made like trash. Your right there are some great shoes with good quality. I got foams air max 90s,95s,98s new balances, vans, all types of shoes.

But the way ppl wait in line, get robbed,shot at, for some Nike retros, that won't even last a full month of everyday wear , and the PRICE of these weak retros make me sick. My Og 95s and Og Black/chrome VIIIs I got freshman year ( been out of highschool for 7 years) still hold up better than something I got THIS Christmas it just don't make sense.
Yea w.e you can say I'm whining but this is what the state of the sneaker game thread. Idgaf. It's wack that's what it is, I'll get my son Js as I loved them since I was a kid, and he will grow out of them too. TBH lettuce be cereal the Qualitys weak. Unless you are a reseller, or have a lot of disposable income, of course you wouldn't care. But I've always wore all my sneakers and honestly, I'm probably going to stop buying Nike altogether unless there grails to me.
Too much piff out there to get stuck on the Nike train, I'll let the 13-16 year olds have that.

The negativity cracks me up :lol:

Why do people bring up quality constantly? There's more to sneakers than retros.

So Kobe's aren't quality?
Lebron's aren't quality?
Jordan XX8's aren't quality?
Flynit runners aren't quality?
Lunargrand's aren't quality?
New Balance Made In The USA?

Expand your horizons. There's more than just Nike and Jordan retros out there.

I think some people just like to whine and complain.

Three Jordan release basically outsell all of the aforementioned shoes.

If you only buy the products you like that fit your body and lifestyle, there's no problems whatsoever.

They might charge more for the shoes, but that just means I'll buy less of them.

Three Jordan release basically outsell all of the aforementioned shoes.

Which is why people shouldn't buy the sneakers and complain later.

And you have people complaining just because everyone else complains. They don't have OG's, don't know what OG's look like, but complain anyway. And the people who think OG's didn't have mismatched elephant and excess glue

Please, the materials garbage' now, I just paid 155 for some 95s for Xmas' . Now in the spur of the moment my boys wanted to play roughhouse. 2 games to 21 and the bubble part of the shoe and sole ripped...I had to crazy glue it. Yea their running shoes,not ball ,But they still shouldn't be made like the variants we used to see when the shoes were made with REAL material.

You're buying garbage retros. That's your problem fam. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom