Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

can some people school me on creatine:

1. Would it be alright if I took it for 3 months and then cycled off?
2. What is the best way to load creatine (how many grams, do I do it with dextrose or gatorade, is it even necessary?)
3. What is the best brand of creatine? I've read that it causes bloating and other effects...are there any brands that don't cause side effects?
4. How do I cycle off of it?
5. Would it be beneficial to take this during a strength training program?

1. Yes
2. Don't need to load it.  If you're just taking creatine monohydrate you CAN load it by taking a double-dose on training days, but I don't think it actually makes a difference
3. Most are relatively the same but Optimum Nutrition creatine has always gotten good reviews.  It may cause bloating.  I take Kre-Alkalyn because I don't get bloating/indigestion from it.  There aren't any other side effects.
4. Just stop taking it for a month or 2
5. Yes

Agreed on all points.  Ive had good experiences with a typical GNC monohydrate.  Theyre all basically the same thing.

Remember to take it with a form of sugar.
Dope. Just another couple questions

- Can I take it with Dextrose or is there a better form of sugar to take it with
- Do I take creatine pre workout or post workout or does it even matter?
1. Any cycle is fine and as a matter of fact there is nothing out there that says you have to cycle it... the only reasons why I cycle it is because I don't want my body to stop producing it's regular amounts of creatine and because you see the biggest results when you get back on it.
2. Loading is not necessary it's just for quicker results, you should do 20 gram ea. day for the first week but spread out into 4 servings (so 5g ea. time).
3. idk much about brands but i take pure creatine monohydrate from labrada.. it's real good.
4. To cycle off you just stop for a while.. some people do like 2 on 1 off and others just dont cycle
5. yeah

another tip is taking creatine with something like grape juice because it spikes up your insulin levels and helps you store the creatine better...

also it doesnt matter if you take it before or after your workout.. In my case i just take it like 30 mins. before I workout than a protien shake after.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

incline dumbbell bench press 3x8

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

rear delta raises superset with side raises 3x8,3x8

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

7: HIIT

after doing rippetoe's 3x5 for a couple of months (before being sidelined for 2.5 weeks by a nasty neck injury)... i decided to try and mesh some of the strength building principles (especially since they gave me huge quads) with a hybrid body building split. i also wanted to emphasize calf work.

thoughts, suggestions? i did day 1 yesterday, felt good... maybe a little bit long. doing day 2 today which on the face of things is very short,but this way i get to really focus on my dl.

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Its about that time.. my ON Whey is running low.. Its time to restock..

I need/plan on getting:
1. ON Whey Vanilla (Is it a good flavor? I normally buy Double Rich Chocolate, but the shake recipes are extremely limited..)
2. Jack3d (Is this recommended? How does it work? What does it do?)
3. A Multivitamin (Which one is best for getting lean/adding on muscle mass?)
4. Anything else you thing I should check out? (Based on my goals below, what would you recommend?)

My Goals:
1. Get as Lean as possible.
2. I'm at 158-160lbs right now, I think I can drop to 150 lbsto get more lean, then gain back 10-15lbs of muscle mass.. Is it possible/recommended?

Thanks.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

comments/suggestions? im trying to mesh strength building with a body builder routine. squating 3 times a week has given me huuuuuge quads

for those that have taken jack3d, what flavor do you recommend? i've read lemon lime is good and fruit punch is bleh... i'm looking to order online soon

Originally Posted by Hankzilla

Best and cheapest protein powder? At walmart preferably? If they even sell it there.

ordering online is sometimes cheaper than in store.

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

after doing rippetoe's 3x5 for a couple of months (before being sidelined for 2.5 weeks by a nasty neck injury)... i decided to try and mesh some of the strength building principles (especially since they gave me huge quads) with a hybrid body building split. i also wanted to emphasize calf work.

thoughts, suggestions? i did day 1 yesterday, felt good... maybe a little bit long. doing day 2 today which on the face of things is very short,but this way i get to really focus on my dl.
I'm starting rippetoe's starting strength program next week, but you posted looks good on paper but I would put all compound excercises before any isolation movement and my only concern is that you wouldn't be getting ample recovery time...you should try to get 2-3 days off.  You could try it for 2 weeks and see how you feel and then switch it up to only working out 4-5 times a week and see where that gets you.  In the initial phase of most workouts they start off great but down the road can lead to overtraining and fatigue.  Maybe you should consider going from Rippetoe's program to Stronglifts, Bill Starr or rippetoes practical strength training book.

Thanks for the advice on the creatine, my ON micronized creatine should be coming in today.

Hank I buy my 5 lb tub of ON natural whey from allstarhealth.com for $40 shipped and it lasts me about 2 months.  that site is pretty good, shipping is $6 and it gets to you in 3 days.

Best and cheapest protein powder? At walmart preferably? If they even sell it there.
Walmart has bodyfortress - 15$,  protein is protein it has 140 calories, about 26g protein and 23 servings, and the only downside is the taste imo maybe the experts on here might disagree but it gets the job done

[table][tr][td][h1]High Protein Vegetables – Their Requirements, Advantages And Sources.[/h1] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
high_protein_vegetables1.jpg
The protein content in vegetables is of inferior quality when compared to meat fat. Therefore, high protein vegetables need to be combined with other protein supplements to fulfill the complete share of proteins and vegetables. Such a protein supplement is primarily essential for those who are generally vegetarians and have to depend upon low calorie and low fat diets. For instance, if you eat plant protein in form of vegetable curry along with rice or bread then the required amount of protein is surely accessible.

The importance of high protein vegetables lies in the fact that often the amino acid content of low protein vegetables cannot properly be utilized for growth or maintenance of tissues. Therefore, during such cases the vegetable protein is either burnt as fuel or stored as body fat.

high_protein_vegetables2.jpg
It was often believed that high protein vegetables or high protein diets are extremely beneficial for humans and especially for the athletes. This is far from the truth. High proteins can never make a good diet. It is true that protein is an essential nutrient and it has a major role to play in making our body function properly. However, this does not mean that we require protein in huge proportions. In addition to this, protein supplements are in most cases costly, needless and even injurious for some.

According to a general survey, the Vegan diets of the Americans are low in protein content in comparison to standard American diets. However, it has already been mentioned that it is not at all a credit to have high protein diets and at times, such a diet may give way to osteoporosis 4 and kidney diseases.

Some examples of high protein vegetables include a varied quantity of beans, grains, nuts and seeds. Remember, protein contains essential amino acids, often referred to as building blocks of the body. In reality, our body is in need of amino acid and not protein. We need twenty different varieties of amino acids of which our body cannot produce nine out of the entire variety. Therefore, under such circumstances the amino acid content of the protein rich vegetables are absolutely essential for our body.

Soybeans, quinoa (a grain), and spinach are some examples of high protein vegetables. However, not all protein rich vegetables have all essential amino acids. For instance, grains have low Lysine content and legumes have low Methionine content in comparison to other vegetables having considerable protein content.

high_protein_vegetables3.jpg
The basic idea is to combine low protein contents with the high ones for the exact availability of amino acid content. Such a way of procuring high protein vegetables and diets is indeed rational but the process is entirely complex and fairly complicated.

Your daily requirement of high protein vegetables is:
  • One cup of cooked soybeans (29 gms of protein), lentils (18 gms of protein), black beans (15 gms of protein), kidney beans (13 gms of protein), chickpeas (12 gms of protein), veggie baked beans (12 gms of protein), pinto beans (12 gms of protein), black-eyed peas (11 gms of protein), peas (9 gms of protein), spinach (5 gms of protein) and broccoli (4 gms of protein) should all be eaten
  • Four ounces tofu (11 gms of protein) and firm (11 gms of protein) should be eaten
  • 1/4cups sunflower seeds (4 gms protein) are necessary for you diet.
Therefore, if you are a vegan, it is not enough for you to include only one essential protein item in your diet. The source has to be varied and correct in matters of amino acid content.
[/td][/tr][/table]

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

comments/suggestions? im trying to mesh strength building with a body builder routine. squating 3 times a week has given me huuuuuge quads
It's a bit taxing to workout all days of the week. I think your day 2 seems a bit unproductive to be perfectly honest. 5 reps of Deadlifts? 
eyes.gif
 If you're gonna do low reps then do more sets, as you already know. low reps for only 1 set probably won't do anything for your progress. 

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

It's a bit taxing to workout all days of the week. I think your day 2 seems a bit unproductive to be perfectly honest. 5 reps of Deadlifts? 
eyes.gif
 If you're gonna do low reps then do more sets, as you already know. low reps for only 1 set probably won't do anything for your progress. 

Yeah, this program's waaay too repetitive and there's not enough recovery time allowed.  When I have more time I'll break it down a little more, but it's not streamlined at all. 

I need/plan on getting:
1. ON Whey Vanilla (Is it a good flavor? I normally buy Double Rich Chocolate, but the shake recipes are extremely limited..)
4. Anything else you thing I should check out? (Based on my goals below, what would you recommend?)

My Goals:
2. I'm at 158-160lbs right now, I think I can drop to 150 lbsto get more lean, then gain back 10-15lbs of muscle mass.. Is it possible/recommended?

Thanks.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I need/plan on getting:

My Goals:

Thanks.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
1. It's protein. Who cares. You really asking for flavor advice?
2. I don't like jack3d. I think it has too many stimulants. But if you can't get to the gym it's better than nothing.
3. It's a multi vitamin. Not steriods. You will never make gains from a multi but it will fuel your body the nutrients it needs to rebuild and stay healthy.
4. Eat. Get big. BULKY (not fat but put on some mass). Then cut

Trying to lean out and gain at the same time has and will always be dumb to me.

This has been the only way I've seen anyone get lean and build SOME (not even close to what you want though) mass. Take 5 shakes a day. Eat nothing but chicken and veggies:frown:day, night) +egg whites/oatmeal(bfast)+ cottage cheese+fruit(after dinner)  and eat until you can't. Just make sure to take a liver sup. You will need it.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

Walmart has bodyfortress - 15$,  protein is protein it has 140 calories, about 26g protein and 23 servings, and the only downside is the taste imo maybe the experts on here might disagree but it gets the job done

Thanks bro, but I heard nautral protein is better than whey, what's your take? I bought a bunch of protein foods like salmon, tuna, beans because I couldn't find bodyfortress. Well actually they were out of it.

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

eyes.gif
I've come to find one working set of DLs is plenty assuming you warm up correctly.
PanaRicanRetro wrote:

Yeah, this program's waaay too repetitive and there's not enough recovery time allowed.  When I have more time I'll break it down a little more, but it's not streamlined at all. 
Repetitive? I'd really appreciate you breaking it down a little more. I'm very curious.

I need/plan on getting:

My Goals:

Thanks.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
1. Buy double rich chocolate--might not taste all that great but you can always add some chocolate syrup for flavor
2. Jacked -- preworkout energy I believe.
3. Multivitamin doesn't help with muscles gains. It's a vitamin that replenishes your body of its nutrients...it doesn't have the same effect as protein.
4. Start out eating at maintenance and work your way down if you feel you aren't losing enough weight.
5. Recommended, but whats your BF. are you really that unhappy with your current build?

1:

back squat 3x5

bench press 3x5

dips 2x8

abs 5x5

2:

dead lift 1x5

calf press 5x20

HIIT

3:

off

4:

front squat 3x5

military press 3x5

abs 5x5

5:

good mornings 3x8

bb row 3x8

chin ups 2x8

calf press 5x20

6:

back squat 3x5

biceps+triceps

powerclean 5x3

abs 5x5

eyes.gif
I've come to find one working set of DLs is plenty assuming you warm up correctly.
PanaRicanRetro wrote:
Repetitive? I'd really appreciate you breaking it down a little more. I'm very curious.
Platinum...the thing with your setup is that it follows the rep/set scheme of a strength workout...so if your looking to gain strength your not giving your body enough recovery time because your not getting enough days off.  If your looking to gain muscle than it would be okay but you would need to lower the weight do 3-4 sets and switch around excercises where you were doing something like pulling vs pushing muscle groups.  the thing with your workout plan is that it looks like a hybrid strength/muscle building program which in my mind isn't going to workout the way you want it too, trust me i've been there.

Like I said before if you want somewhere to go after rippetoes look into stronglifts, bill starr's 5x5 or rippetoes practical strength program.  If your looking to do muscle building then you would want to structure your workouts/days/splits in a different way.  And as for the keepdasneaks comment about deadlifts you have to remember some people do deadlifts 3x a week to build muscle while those aiming for strength only do 1x with heavy weight.

^Well I do DLs 1x a week, but I go at least 4x5 if not 5x5. I'm aiming towards strength building. I just couldn't see based on my experience with DLing, how 1 set could be beneficial at all.

Another thing, to reiterate what Panarican said, is to group together your workouts by push or pull days. That way you probably won't feel as beat the next day you're working out because your secondary muscles required for your main workout wouldn't have already been affected the day before.

For example: Throw your tricep/bicep together with your Delt day. As well as the Ab workout from that day 4. Basically get rid of day 6. Then Combine day 2 with day 5, since day 2 isn't that bad anyway, except save HIIT from day 2 for the off day you just created.

^Well I do DLs 1x a week, but I go at least 4x5 if not 5x5. I'm aiming towards strength building. I just couldn't see based on my experience with DLing, how 1 set could be beneficial at all.

Another thing, to reiterate what Panarican said, is to group together your workouts by push or pull days. That way you probably won't feel as beat the next day you're working out because your secondary muscles required for your main workout wouldn't have already been affected the day before.
I don't think you understand what he meant by 1x5. 1 set of 5 reps is his working set. He warms up and ramps up to that weight. So if he was doing say, 315 x 5 for work sets, it'd be like:
135x5, 185x5, 235x5, 285x2, and then he'd do his work set. Deadlifts are a very taxing exercise. You don't need to go to 5x5 to get a good stimulus from them.

I don't like having a "split". I like training movements. Training pull-ups can tire your triceps. It's a pulling exercise, but it works more of your body than just your back/biceps. The same applies for other exercises like dips and others.

So I was on a few month hiatus (and im not talking about a measly 2-3 month hiatus either
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
) and I finally did some weight training Wednesday. Aside from basketball probably 3-4 times a week I havent really worked out. I did biceps Wednesday doing the same bicep routine I did when I worked out alot last year. My biceps yesterday and today are still extremely sore, my forearm area near the elbow is sore as well. My left bicep/inner elbow is so sore I can barely make my arm straight. If I do theres pain and if I leave it extended the pain intensifies. I had this problem as well sometimes before when I would do concentrated single arm bicep curls, but only when I used really heavy weights (failure in 3-4 reps).

Anyone know how to relieve the pain/whats wrong? My form is pretty good, im thinking after a long hiatus my biceps would be very sore, but not being able to straighten out my arm without pain is really going to put me on hold again with every arm workout til its healed. I know ill be good by Monday, but any tips so this will not happen again?

For anyone else who's been on a serious cut (Joe Camel ?) how long were you guys on a dedicated carb cycle or special diet? I'm at 15% right now, just started my carb cycle again, I want to get down to 10% or less. How long do you guys predict this will have to be sustained?

Back
Top Bottom