Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

i think i'm pretty much immune to jack3d..
frown.gif

cycled off of it for a month. took some yesterday and i didn't feel ANYTHING!!

white flood any good?

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Just picked up these bad boys for $300 off of Craig's List, brand new too with stand.
Don't even need to hit the gym anymore.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

imag0065y.jpg

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by dgk3188

i think i'm pretty much immune to jack3d..
frown.gif

cycled off of it for a month. took some yesterday and i didn't feel ANYTHING!!

white flood any good?

Just train yourself to workout without any preworkout supplement.

my brother who is preparing to join the police academy was asked if he wanted to try it out

that being said, he asked me if i wanted to join him as well ($100 a month) not sure how long it is, but im looking into it as of now

anyone tried this?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by wanksta23

my brother who is preparing to join the police academy was asked if he wanted to try it out

that being said, he asked me if i wanted to join him as well ($100 a month) not sure how long it is, but im looking into it as of now

anyone tried this?
nerd.gif
Try what?

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

no one in here has had any sort of ac joint injury?

i sprained(probably tore *crosses finger*) mine about 2 months ago. been out the gym since.

sucks because i can barely rep half what i used to.

then again im still afraid to reinjure :tongue:

I had a really bad ac injury, im just now getting back into the gym after doing physical therapy. Nothing feels the same really and now all im doing is trying to build strength back.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Just got a membership to Lifetime for a month for $19 thanks to Groupon. All I can say is 
eek.gif
Lifetime fitness? 19 a month? how the hell did you get that? i go there as well, awesome gym.

Yo anyone use the heavy bag?

I think I'm gonna start but I'm looking for some recommendations on some good gloves for a low price. 

Originally Posted by Al Audi

also i dont use no damn bar cushion when im doing squats either........if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.

Speak on it.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Just got a membership to Lifetime for a month for $19 thanks to Groupon. All I can say is 
eek.gif
Lifetime fitness? 19 a month? how the hell did you get that? i go there as well, awesome gym.
Just 1 month at $19. It was thru Groupon and their Detroit metro deal a few days ago. Guy said I can use the whole month or put it toward the $129 admin fee. It's $60 a month though
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Aze201

also i dont use no damn bar cushion when im doing squats either........if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.

Speak on it.
I used to use it at first because I felt discomfort when squatting. But as I started to get more into lifting it was apparent that using the pad wasn't alpha at all.
After a while you learn where exactly to place the bar on your upper back/traps.
I don't know if there's any benefit but it's just a more natural feel for me.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by hotshots24

I love going back to this thread everyday and seeing people improve, Im 5'10 deadlifting 265 lbs 5x5 , im 170 pounds, is that above average? average?
but my squats is a little less, is that normal?
I'd say that 265 is a great start. Stronger than an untrained person and the average gym rat(who doesn't do lower body at all). Keep going at it consistantly and you'll see great gains.
Just to give you an idea:
  1. Most untrained people can't (safely) deadlift over 135 lbs, if even that much. They'll usually start a lot lower than that in weight.
  2. Many people can take linear progression(adding weight to the bar every time) on the deadlift all the way up to 300-400 lbs. That's a strong deadlift, no doubt. After you hit these numbers, adding weight becomes more difficult. You need to cycle through weights and volume to see a 5 or 10 lb increase. Deadlifting gets harder on your body(to recover from) as you get closer to your genetic potential.
  3. But powerlifters and some other athletes can deadlift between 500-600 lbs. or even higher. Very few people will ever get higher than this without assistive gear(straps, belt)
  4. The world record is 1008 lbs by Andy Bolton.
Thanks, not sure if this is good place to ask about vertical leap, but what would you say is more important when it comes to vertical leap, max strength dl or squat?

Originally Posted by Zyzz

eek.gif
Just 1 month at $19. It was thru Groupon and their Detroit metro deal a few days ago. Guy said I can use the whole month or put it toward the $129 admin fee. It's $60 a month though
sick.gif
i got lucky when the economy went down i signed up for $40 a month but recently they raised it to $45 even though i signed a contract
30t6p3b.gif

Durden7 wrote:
bwood056 wrote:
Durden7 wrote:
A belt certainly counts as "assisted".

in competitions. certainly not.

No one was talking about competitions.

I don't think anyone in this thread is a competitive powerlifter. Belts have a place, just not with recreational lifters

Thanks, not sure if this is good place to ask about vertical leap, but what would you say is more important when it comes to vertical leap, max strength dl or squat?

I'd say you're better of with more explosive lifts. Olympic lifts, kettlebell swings, plyometrics, etc. DL and Squat certainly contribute, but they won't get you dunking(if you're average height)
You might want to find a copy of "The Vertical Jump Bible" by Kelly Baggett. I've heard some good things about it. But starting on oly lifts and/or kettlebell swings should be all you need for a while. When you plateau, you might want to look for a program like the one I mentioned.

Edit: Durden, when you gonna add more info to the first post. 

Originally Posted by Smedroc

if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.
Why is that then??...

apart from being deemed a ({}) of course
laugh.gif
I use a towel wrapped around the middle of the bar....I can't place the bar directly on my traps because when I do, I somehow cut off circulation to my right arm, which is the same arm/shoulder that injured playing football years ago....

They make this blue pad.........................................that sits right on your shoulder and has a recess for the bar....I want to cop that....I really hate doing leg press and squats on the machine at my gym

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by wanksta23

anyone tried this?
nerd.gif
Try what?
my bad, deleted when i was editing

program called CrossFit

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I love going back to this thread everyday and seeing people improve, Im 5'10 deadlifting 265 lbs 5x5 , im 170 pounds, is that above average? average?
but my squats is a little less, is that normal?
I'd say that 265 is a great start. Stronger than an untrained person and the average gym rat(who doesn't do lower body at all). Keep going at it consistantly and you'll see great gains.
Just to give you an idea:
  1. Most untrained people can't (safely) deadlift over 135 lbs, if even that much. They'll usually start a lot lower than that in weight.
  2. Many people can take linear progression(adding weight to the bar every time) on the deadlift all the way up to 300-400 lbs. That's a strong deadlift, no doubt. After you hit these numbers, adding weight becomes more difficult. You need to cycle through weights and volume to see a 5 or 10 lb increase. Deadlifting gets harder on your body(to recover from) as you get closer to your genetic potential.
  3. But powerlifters and some other athletes can deadlift between 500-600 lbs. or even higher. Very few people will ever get higher than this without assistive gear(straps, belt)
  4. The world record is 1008 lbs by Andy Bolton.

It depends where you generate power from. Whether you're quad dominant (squat) or hamstring dominant (deadlift). 
The numbers you move are all relative to your bodyweight. A 2x bodyweight DL is considered good. Anything nearing or over 3X bw is elite (up to like 240 lbs bw then the curve starts to drop).  You can get a sense of the numbers from http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html .

That's one of the things that reg gym goers fail to understand. The nominal numbers of the weights you move is not that important. Every lift is in relation to your bodyweight. Since F=ma, mass in and of itself is a factor in creating force. A 150 lb'er dead lifting 300 lbs is much more impressive than a 180 lb'er doing the same.  

anyone here under 6 feet and can dunk?

How rare is that?
Back in the day I used to be able to, I'm 5"10 with shoes. Its a little bit rare I guess...... But whenever I see a guy my height dunk im not really surprised anymore

doing dl's and squats can definitely help you, but you should try doing plyometrics

Edit: unless you were already doin plyo and just wondering which one helped more, because i cant help you there
laugh.gif

Remove the bar pad when you do squats to become "one" with the bar.

You want the bar as close to your body as possible

love this thread..keep it goin..very motivational,  on phase 2 of p90x..anybody else??

Man a few weeks back I hurt this area of my left arm doing chest fly's
Felt like a pulled the joint? or strained it, I don't know

5vak46.jpg

It's doesnt bother me or hurt until my during chest day like today...
It messes me up when I try to lower the weight, makes me have to change my form mid rep
30t6p3b.gif

Anybody had this happen and know how to treat it? Heating Pad? Ice?

Back
Top Bottom