Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

so i signed up to my local gym today, 1st time really lifting weights, maaaaaaaan was i exhausted, felt like throwing up after i showered
laugh.gif
, i ate after and felt a little better, it feels great when your biceps and chest are all pumped up (even though i dont really have any), i think i might be hooked

brettthejett and carlos tevez thanks for the help. anyways how important do you guys think it is to have at least 1 gram of protein per pound? theres times when ill eat less than that.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^I feel like protein is overrated
well yeah its over discussed i guess. i mean the body isnt as fragile as we make it after a workout.
laugh.gif

folks gotta eat . i dont know science science but gotta combine proteins with vitamins and fats etc

I weigh 199-203. My goal is to cut a little and get to maybe around 195, no lower than 190. I was at 215 3 weeks ago.
PS Harold Miner is chilling in Vegas and is an 'active real estate investor'. He also recently started to reconnect with USC, since he retired he kinda cut himself off from the mainstream/basketball world.
I saw that article about Harold Miner a few days ago. S/N is circa 2001 tho.

Just a heads up if your dropping 20 pounds in 3 weeks your not doing it in a healthy/muscle saving way.

You should be shooting for 1-2 pounds a week at a 500 calorie deficit. Sounds like you dont lift per se and are just trying to shed lbs. In that I say good luck and congrats on the weight drop. If you are or were trying to save muscle though you are dropping wayyyy too much weight per week.

Just my .02

I weigh 199-203. My goal is to cut a little and get to maybe around 195, no lower than 190. I was at 215 3 weeks ago.
PS Harold Miner is chilling in Vegas and is an 'active real estate investor'. He also recently started to reconnect with USC, since he retired he kinda cut himself off from the mainstream/basketball world.

Just a heads up if your dropping 20 pounds in 3 weeks your not doing it in a healthy/muscle saving way.

You should be shooting for 1-2 pounds a week at a 500 calorie deficit. Sounds like you dont lift per se and are just trying to shed lbs. In that I say good luck and congrats on the weight drop. If you are or were trying to save muscle though you are dropping wayyyy too much weight per week.

Just my .02

Originally Posted by Where Are You Harold Miner 2

Just my .02
laugh.gif
damn you are an OG coming outta the woodworks. 
Strength is still there, I have actually been lifting pretty well while losing this weight. Its been good, minus the couple of cruddy work outs. Still putting up the same weight I put up before the weightloss.

Also, the 220 I was at was a solid 220
laugh.gif
Like I have been lifting for years now, just decided to give cutting a shot. 

I'm hype right now because I'm getting strong again reeeal fast. Like, just starting working out fast.

Gotta remind myself to not push it too hard. Don't wanna set myself back by getting hurt.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by ATLfootballer

I don't know what I gotta do to get my chest to grow, its almost frustrating... my bench is up to 350 and my arms are at 16 1/2 in. but my chest is failing to get any bigger.... What gives???

Your chest is probably HUGE if you can bench that... i think any further growth is limited because of genetics at that point
my bench is half that (srs) think of how I feel 
alien.gif

and just for @%%%@ i measured my arm (flexed, at the bicep area) and it's 15 1/2 inches. I dont know what that means but my chest is PATHETIC

increase reps and go until absolute failure... highest amount of stress to induce growth
Its far from huge and when comparing it to other areas its definitely lagging, like it BARELY sticks further out than the top of my abs.... I was in a program that was lifting for strength so the reps were like 2-5 sometimes 6 on the lower weight but now that i'm on my own I'm gonna aim for the 8-12 rep range and see how that goes

I don't know what I gotta do to get my chest to grow, its almost frustrating... my bench is up to 350 and my arms are at 16 1/2 in. but my chest is failing to get any bigger.... What gives???

Your chest is probably HUGE if you can bench that... i think any further growth is limited because of genetics at that point
alien.gif

and just for @%%%@ i measured my arm (flexed, at the bicep area) and it's 15 1/2 inches. I dont know what that means but my chest is PATHETIC

increase reps and go until absolute failure... highest amount of stress to induce growth
Its far from huge and when comparing it to other areas its definitely lagging, like it BARELY sticks further out than the top of my abs.... I was in a program that was lifting for strength so the reps were like 2-5 sometimes 6 on the lower weight but now that i'm on my own I'm gonna aim for the 8-12 rep range and see how that goes
bingo, I came in to say exactly that but you nailed it. What's good now is that since you did so much strength training to build up that strength (did you do a 5 x5 program, by the way?) by switching to a hypertrophy working now (something like 3 x 8, 4 x8 etc) you'll see some HUGE chest gains REAL fast.

what are your guys' workout schedules looking like? i feel sometimes that some body parts get tired easier because i kind of compounded (i don't know if that's the right word) it the day before.

i work out
monday: back
tuesday: shoulders
wed: rest day
thursday: legs
friday: chest
saturday: arms
sunday: rest

do you guys suggest a different order? i'm a noob when it comes to this stuff
ohwell.gif

I try to avoid eating any kind of junk/fat foods when I'm on my workout grind. my sister made some mac & cheese today and I couldn't fight the temptation. I just had to have some. I feel turrible
frown.gif

I find I recover fast so I train more frequently.

1: chest/triceps
2. abs/legs
3. rest
4. back/shoulders
5. biceps/forearms

repeat. If needed I take an extra rest day.

Originally Posted by iLike Turtles

I try to avoid eating any kind of junk/fat foods when I'm on my workout grind. my sister made some mac & cheese today and I couldn't fight the temptation. I just had to have some. I feel turrible
frown.gif

Just fit it into your macros and you will be fine lol

Aite NT: I dont think Ive ever asked for the boards help before, but today Ive hit rock bottom. Im an ex-collegiate athlete, used to being in shape. In the 4 years since Ive been out of college, Ive managed to pack on about 45 pounds due to time constraints keeping me out the gym, taking care of my child, work, and not to mention law school. Since this "getting in shape" thing is new to me (understand, Ive never really worked to get in shape, it was always to improve athletically) I wanna ask some of yall fitness enthusiasts for some advice. Any sample nutrition plans and/or workout regimens would be greatly appreciated. Ive been through the bodybuilding.com database, so if anyone knows about other websites with good content send em my way. Ohh...the kicker is, my big sis gets married in Vegas 4th of July weekend....I need to be in pool shape, ya feel me. Help me get it done yall!!! (I appreciate the helpful comments to come)

Hey fellas, Ive bypassed this post far to long. I will give you guys a run down of my ideal goals:

Im 5'10" 155 and, my ideal goal is to gain 10-15 lbs and stay at around 165/170. After that, I would strictly like to stay toned and solid.
My diet is HORRIBLE and it's never consistent. I've been getting away with it because I'm a frail dude with a super fast metabolism.
So, I've started by eating A bowl of Frosted Flakes in the morning (I want to eliminate FF, so, what is a great whole grain cereal that you guys recommend?), 4 HB eggs a day, 4 PBnJ sandwiches, and, a 4 oz salmon fillet. I LOVE veggies (ESPECIALLY Collard greens and corn). I really need to improve my nutrition because, although Ive gotten away w/it now, I know it will catch up with me in due time.

I need to know:

Good protein shake/powder
MAYBE, a good weight gainer (I'd rather gain weight naturally becuase I know weight gainers can be iffy, correct?)
Solid diet that will help me gain weight (Stick to the cereal, HB eggs, pbnj, salmon or...?)
And, some good vitamin, nutrient, supplement pills

And, I already have an ideal work regiment after looking at some of the exercise and reps you guys recommended.
Also, my arms are long for a guy 5'10" so, Incline would be my best bet or, slowly build my upper body buy doing light weight on the bench press and just more reps?

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by numbah1grimey

Hey fellas, Ive bypassed this post far to long. I will give you guys a run down of my ideal goals:

Im 5'10" 155 and, my ideal goal is to gain 10-15 lbs and stay at around 165/170. After that, I would strictly like to stay toned and solid.
My diet is HORRIBLE and it's never consistent. I've been getting away with it because I'm a frail dude with a super fast metabolism.
So, I've started by eating A bowl of Frosted Flakes in the morning (I want to eliminate FF, so, what is a great whole grain cereal that you guys recommend?), 4 HB eggs a day, 4 PBnJ sandwiches, and, a 4 oz salmon fillet. I LOVE veggies (ESPECIALLY Collard greens and corn). I really need to improve my nutrition because, although Ive gotten away w/it now, I know it will catch up with me in due time.

I need to know:

Good protein shake/powder
MAYBE, a good weight gainer (I'd rather gain weight naturally becuase I know weight gainers can be iffy, correct?)
Solid diet that will help me gain weight (Stick to the cereal, HB eggs, pbnj, salmon or...?)
And, some good vitamin, nutrient, supplement pills

And, I already have an ideal work regiment after looking at some of the exercise and reps you guys recommended.
Also, my arms are long for a guy 5'10" so, Incline would be my best bet or, slowly build my upper body buy doing light weight on the bench press and just more reps?

Thanks guys!
Well lucky for you fat doesn't seem to stick so I wouldn't say you need to get a weight gainer.  If you really want to go a good route to gain weight less all the cholesterol, HFCS and other preservatives and chemicals it might take some time but you can def. get there.
One word I would recommed to you is "Gradual"  not everything will stick to you overnight so I would say that you start increasing your food load gradually.  No need to really stuff yourself but what you want to do is introduce good food in bigger portions.

A good all around cereal I eat is Honey Bunches of oats.  Besides that I eat Newman's own Flax cereal which is very tasty.  those 4 whole eggs sounds like wayyy too much cholesterol.  A def. plus is that you like veggies so I would say just diversify so that you get a broad range of nutrition i.e. asparagus, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, Kelp.

I would say that you could be a person that could eat a solid carb meal at night and still see some decent gains versus when people are trying to lose weight they should not eat carbs at night if possible.  Keep the healthy meats up...Salmon and other fishes, and lean chicken breast.

Since your new to the weight training thing I would again stress "gradual".  No need to feel the pressure in jumping in and lifting a weight that will be too much for you...instead get a weight that you'll be good doing 12 reps and keep good form.  After you get proper form down then you can make goals for weight increases you want to make by such and such date.

GL.

Originally Posted by jadams003

Aite NT: I dont think Ive ever asked for the boards help before, but today Ive hit rock bottom. Im an ex-collegiate athlete, used to being in shape. In the 4 years since Ive been out of college, Ive managed to pack on about 45 pounds due to time constraints keeping me out the gym, taking care of my child, work, and not to mention law school. Since this "getting in shape" thing is new to me (understand, Ive never really worked to get in shape, it was always to improve athletically) I wanna ask some of yall fitness enthusiasts for some advice. Any sample nutrition plans and/or workout regimens would be greatly appreciated. Ive been through the bodybuilding.com database, so if anyone knows about other websites with good content send em my way. Ohh...the kicker is, my big sis gets married in Vegas 4th of July weekend....I need to be in pool shape, ya feel me. Help me get it done yall!!! (I appreciate the helpful comments to come)

This is mad general but check out the stronglifts 5x5 program or the one I feel works very well, starting strength. I don't know enough about your body type/abilities so I can't give you a good personalized workout, but check those two out. If you're starting to lift, or starting to get back into doing it, they're great for getting back on the right track.

Originally Posted by Crook

alien.gif

bingo, I came in to say exactly that but you nailed it. What's good now is that since you did so much strength training to build up that strength (did you do a 5 x5 program, by the way?) by switching to a hypertrophy working now (something like 3 x 8, 4 x8 etc) you'll see some HUGE chest gains REAL fast.

Not a 5x5 program.... It was a good program my S&C coach put together so I'll post an example week up as soon as I find my book if anybody is interested.. we do a lot of olympic lifts and bench 3x a week so its an interesting workout.  

@scshift: Thanks for the recommendation. As far as my abilities go, when I was last in the gym (couple of weeks ago) I worked out my chest. could still throw up 225lbs on flat bench at 8 reps 4 sets good form. Strength hasnt completely left me, its more the extra weight im carrying around thats messing with me. Im 5'9" and weigh 225, not sloppy looking, but i for sure have a pudge!!!

Squats yesterday (225x2), OHP today (125x2).
Left hip flexor is SUPER SORE and now my right rotator cuff is killing me.

I'm not designed to lift heavy weights... SMFH been slowly progressing my numbers and whenever I reach higher numbers I end up hurting myself, never able to get past those numbers.

Just wanted to put y'all on a product I recently purchased, they're called Ironman Yurbuds. I got them from bestbuy for $54+change.
Negatives: Looks cheap as hell, cheap bag, only one asscessory, no clip to hook onto shirt.
Positives: Does what it says it will do(stay in ears during extensive workouts), comfy,  string length is managable, doesn't tangle when running
Neutral: sound is good but not as good as my sound canceling earphones and those cost $16, the ear pieces are made of silicone so it is a lint attracter. I put it in the nylon bag so that won't happen.

Rating: 9/10 HIGHLY recommend this product to ppl that run.
http://www.yurbuds.com/ybcart/ironman-earphones
http://www.bestbuy.com/si...urbuds&cp=1&lp=2
img0575y.jpg

laugh.gif
you guys have been rubbing off on me. Having me looking at supps. Fish oils, probiotics, bcaas, etc. It's a damn shame that my elbow isn't doing well, I have so much motivation, but I can't do much right now.

Brett, try doing some rotator cuff work. Cuban presses are a great move

I've been looking into a lot more prehab and joint strengthening moves lately. Wrist push ups, Jefferson curl, cuban press, rice bucket, wall slides, shoulder dislocates, etc.

Back
Top Bottom