Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

^ no doubt i just started them last week. anything else? tryna get my dwight howard on
A majority of the growth comes from a surplus of cals (depends on personal goals) with ~8 hrs of sleep. 

hey guys, i'm trying to start exercising but before i sign up for a gym i want to get in the habit of exercising so i've just been curling some dumbbells and i was just wondering what the pros/cons would be of alternating hands betweens reps or just doing a whole set with one hand then switch. right now i'm alternating between reps(i do as many as i can) and it seems like my left arm gives out way before my right one does so i feel like i can keep going with my right hand but i obviously don't want one hand to get bigger than the other.

I prefer DBs for pretty much everything, but this week, I decided to BB bench, just to switch it up.

Started off with 225xfailure for my first set and MAN, my chest felt fried off that one set alone.
laugh.gif

And even now, two days later, I feel a soreness I haven't felt in so long.
pimp.gif
Feels good, man.

Will be starting my chest workouts like this for a while.

What are some good leg exercises? Compound ones, particularly explosive ones, not like leg extensions/leg curls.

I've been doing back squats, front squats, single leg deadlifts, pistol squats, but I want to add more since I found out my front squat form is terrible and it'll take some time to get the form right before I can add weight.

^ I havent really messed around with many leg exercises. I've just done squats and lunges with dumbells. I would love to try front squats one day.

I hate those cats who do like 180kg but they squat like 3-4 inches come on son

Try to study this one at least once a day when I don't have access to the gym.
( to work on my form)

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

What are some good leg exercises? Compound ones, particularly explosive ones, not like leg extensions/leg curls.

I've been doing back squats, front squats, single leg deadlifts, pistol squats, but I want to add more since I found out my front squat form is terrible and it'll take some time to get the form right before I can add weight.

Good Mornings - great for hamstring and lower back. good exercise for hip drive
Hip Thrusts - 

If you really want to get your form in check...do less weight, have someone video you from the side and critique it. Adding more leg exercises isn't going to address the issue.

It's pretty hard to mess up front squat technique if you're using a clean grip. Don't use a crossed arms grip, instead, a using straps is a better way.
Deadlift variations: snatch grip, deficit, romanian, sumo, behind the back, bands, chains, duck foot, etc.
Squats: front, back, pause, bands, chains, eccentric, split, single leg, low bar back squat, high bar back squat, jump, cossack, hip, bottom up, parallel, atg, one and a quarter, etc.
Glute ham raise, hyperextensions, single leg hyperextensions, the shrimp, jumping pistol squats
Jump shrugs and other olympic lifts or their variations

Then you can change all of the other things that apply to most exercises: tempo, intensity, reps, sets, range of motion, etc.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Good Mornings - great for hamstring and lower back. good exercise for hip drive
first time i did those my hams were toast the next few days. killer exercise.
for the dude talking about shoulders, besides all the other suggestions, try and do some face pulls. 

Originally Posted by nealraj006

It's pretty hard to mess up front squat technique if you're using a clean grip. Don't use a crossed arms grip, instead, a using straps is a better way.
Deadlift variations: snatch grip, deficit, romanian, sumo, behind the back, bands, chains, duck foot, etc.
Squats: front, back, pause, bands, chains, eccentric, split, single leg, low bar back squat, high bar back squat, jump, cossack, hip, bottom up, parallel, atg, one and a quarter, etc.
Glute ham raise, hyperextensions, single leg hyperextensions, the shrimp, jumping pistol squats
Jump shrugs and other olympic lifts or their variations

Then you can change all of the other things that apply to most exercises: tempo, intensity, reps, sets, range of motion, etc.

I used to do front squats with the "normal" grip, meaning I held the bar like the end of a power clean, elbows straight out, wrists bent. But the other day, I kept dropping the bar and straining my wrist cause of the heavy weights. It's either a flexibility issue or a form thing. So I tried to do the crossed arms grip and my balance got all screwed up. Just doing the 45lb bar was hard with the crossed arms, when I can do 155 with the power clean grip (before it falls off).

If there's anyone in San Francisco around the Castro/Mission area, check out the pharmacy in the thrift store called Out of the Closet. It's non-profit so I was able to scoop up a 2 lb tub of ON whey for about 27. The selection isn't much but fortunately it's the more popular brands. It's virtually bodybuilding.com prices shipped.

I think I'm gonna give up on getting big...my frame is just too small to ever look massive
laugh.gif
At my smallest I was 5'8 138 (last year). I weigh 160 now but still look only a little bit bigger. I guess the most I can go for is the soccer player/Desean Jackson-esque physique...Worst part is that I can lift as much as guys who weigh 30 pounds more than me and look much more muscular, but I guess that also means that I've been lifting properly as well.
'

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

I think I'm gonna give up on getting big...my frame is just too small to ever look massive

It has nothing to do with your frame -it's about how far you're willing to go...
dorian_yates_202_young.jpg

45+Dorian+Yates+picture.jpg

Okay guys i need your help.
I'm 5 7' 160 and i want to start cutting so i can lose about 15-20 pounds and then start bodybuilding . I have no experience at all in cutting or bodybuilding but I want to learn as much as i can . Basically I don't have any in home equipment but I do have access to a small gym in my apartment complex . I need you guys to tell me what my diet should be and what exercises I should do to cut these 20 pounds . Also is it true that when your cutting you should only do calisthenics ? Help a noob out

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

It has nothing to do with your frame -it's about how far you're willing to go...

Or how much youre willing to inject.....

Originally Posted by bkmac

bwood056 how did the waitress even get a glimpse of your calluses though? 
laugh.gif

no idea bro lol

it was weird.

but i enjoyed getting my girl pissed
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Or how much youre willing to inject.....
This. 
 There's a great thread under the ifbb pro section on bb.com forums that show former pros who have atrophied since retiring from bb. The after pics are 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Okay guys i need your help.
I'm 5 7' 160 and i want to start cutting so i can lose about 15-20 pounds and then start bodybuilding . I have no experience at all in cutting or bodybuilding but I want to learn as much as i can . Basically I don't have any in home equipment but I do have access to a small gym in my apartment complex . I need you guys to tell me what my diet should be and what exercises I should do to cut these 20 pounds . Also is it true that when your cutting you should only do calisthenics ? Help a noob out
cutting = caloric deficit.
Eat less calories than your 'maintenance' caloric intake (amount of calories you eat daily to maintain the same weight). 
So figure out your maintenance calories and consume 100-500 calories less than that.  Research bodybuilding beginner's guides for exercises.  Doing your own research is helpful

Ok so i was at the gym
and i noticed that this bodybuilder looking dude lifts the same amount as me in like 3 diff. areas....

Now i am pretty big, but not bodybuilder big, more like college linebacker size. Do you think he was on roids?  How can some1 that much bigger than me have the same strength?

Back
Top Bottom