Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Quick question...Is it ok to still workout while sore? Been going hard for the past two days in the gym and going out of town on Fri morning so I want to go tomorrow AM too. The only problem is my whole body is kinda sore. I usually do 3 days per week every other day but this week it'll be 3 consecutive days. Is is still cool to work out tomorrow or should I just rest until next week?

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by NjCollector

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Last Sunday I weighted in at 174lbs (bulked from 152lbs 7 - 8 week ago), I started cutting and took my cals to about 1500-1600 a day, and weighted in today at 170lbs! Is this a kind of erratic weight less for a week? Im going hard at this, need to achieve a 12% body fat and I gotta work harder on my chest game.
Broooo, you're doing it wrong. A 22lb gain in 7weeks is usually just very little mass and alot of unnecessary fat. In my opinion just do a clean bulk, year round or until April. You can't drastically bulk and then cut in such a short period. Most bulks that are successful go for 5-7months, usually clean but it can be a dirty bulk; leading to a cut, which isn't drastic just usually cutting 100-300cals or adding cardio.Like I said before keep it at 2k-2,3...you'll lose weight and gain muscle at a decent pace. Don't do anything drastic, do something you can maintain. Don't cut carbs if you can't live without them, don't go crazy on your diet, just realize what goes in has to round to 2,3k. Unless you want to go below 14% bodyfat, there is no real need to be very strict with your diet.On phone, can't really be bothered to correct all the mistakes.Goodluck and Godspeed.
Well I'v been successfully doing 1860 cals a day for a week and half and have dropped 5lbs already (today I weight in at 169lbs), so you're saying I should go back up to my bulk cals (I was eating about 2600)? Im not cutting carbs, based on my diet chart im averaging 34% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein. 
The one thing I notice is my body is getting use to the lower cals, to the point yesterday I only took in a measly 1100 cals and the last thing I ate was baked chicken breast and potato scallops at 7pm. So today I tricked it and kinda splurge a bit, threw in bacon this morning and scrambled eggs. Terrible, I know, but it needed to be done.  
trust me, keep it at 2,300 for a year. keep doing cardio, just from reading your posts i know youre a beginner and thats not bad, im just giving you advice that'll help you reach your goal in a reasonable time frame.

The best advice anyone can give you, right now is if you are (endo)overweight-overall(legs/arms/torso etc)= maintenance diet(BMR+Give or take 200-300cals), skinny-fat(meso/endo)= clean bulk, skinny. no muscle definition (ecto)=dirty bulk

of course lift heavy take a multi etc, just realize you are not going to get your goal anytime soon, rather than set the goal on the scale, set it in bench/squat/dips/pullups/pulldowns/etc.

Goodluck regardless, i would look at the bodybuilding forum for a decent routine, dont do starting strength its overrated, check the GST routine, for lower body check the russian spetsnaz routine, its tousa something, forgot it; a quick google search will probably show it immediately.

Originally Posted by KOD843

Quick question...Is it ok to still workout while sore? Been going hard for the past two days in the gym and going out of town on Fri morning so I want to go tomorrow AM too. The only problem is my whole body is kinda sore. I usually do 3 days per week every other day but this week it'll be 3 consecutive days. Is is still cool to work out tomorrow or should I just rest until next week?

whole body is sore?  do you split up your workout days by body parts?  i'd just take a rest. overexertion is worse than skipping a day.

i have a question about gym maintance?? i went to the gym today and went to use the cable machines and i notice that both sides of the weights when using them aren't balanced..

I mentioned it to the manager once before and nothing been done to fix this. i also tried to exercise on another cable machine and on one side the plate doesn't stay down on top of

another plate.. Do you guys still workout even though its not balanced or should complain to higher management?

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Whats the best way to lose stomach fat, but also not lose muscle. Im 5'9 about 155, skinny guy, but got fat mostly around my midsection. How would i get rid of that. but also not lose muscle, and rather build muscle. Ive got my gym membership about 2 weeks ago and lost about 5-6 pounds doing cardio, and also lifting, and watching my diet pretty damn good. Eating protein and LOW fat foods. I do take whey protein when i lift, and starting to take 5grams of L-arginine as well. Any advice? Thanks.
You can't spot reduce. Your body loses fat all over at the same time. You just can't target the abs and think you're only going to lose fat around that area.

If you want six pack abs you gotta reduce your body fat to at least 8%, possibly lower depending on how thick your skin is and your body composition.

You sound skinny fat to me which means if you're trying to get a six pack, you gotta lose body fat and once you do that you're gonna be just skin and bones. I would try and gain muscle mass first and then cut to get your six pack.

anyone tried the hell raiser workout? I've been doing it for the past few days, its amazing, my only concern is it isn't long enough. my workouts before would normally last 45mins to an hour, now they're under 30 mins..

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Whats the best way to lose stomach fat, but also not lose muscle. Im 5'9 about 155, skinny guy, but got fat mostly around my midsection. How would i get rid of that. but also not lose muscle, and rather build muscle. Ive got my gym membership about 2 weeks ago and lost about 5-6 pounds doing cardio, and also lifting, and watching my diet pretty damn good. Eating protein and LOW fat foods. I do take whey protein when i lift, and starting to take 5grams of L-arginine as well. Any advice? Thanks.
You can do a body recompisition adhering to a different type of intermittent fasting diet known as leangains.

Basically, you find your maintenance calories and on lift days eat 20% above that and on off days eat 20% below that.

For your macros, it's suggested that you do 2.5 or even 3 times the kg of your bodyweight for protein. And then for the remaining calories you do a split of 75% carbs and 25% fats on your workout days and a 50/50 split on your off days.

The diet is the interesting part, and it goes against probably everything you've ever read. Basically, you fast for 16 hours and you eat for 8 hours everyday. You fit your 3 meals in those 8 hours. You can choose to workout prior to eating anything which is what most people do, but be sure to take 10g of a Branched Chain Amino Acid, or 1.5 scoops of SciVation Extend.

If you want to have a meal, or two meals, prior to working to out remember that 60% of your calories need to come after you workout. But remember, it must be 3 meals a day in 8 hours.

On off days, 40% of your calories come in your first meal.

For training, use Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It stresses the big 3 compound movements & you'll make excellent strength gains if your diet is in order.

Any other questions go to leangains.com

Can anyone school me on body recomposition at maintenance? I've always read about bulking and cutting etc. but todayI've come across eating at maintenance to change the bf ratio.

I'm 5 8 and nearing my goal of 200 lbs(the heaviest I've ever weighed in my life and not "fat"). It also looks like I might finish at 20 % bf by then. Should I look more into that or just do that traditional cutting method?

Im 215 lbs & 6'2"

Im not that strong, and I want to:

Get Stronger
Lose Weight
Get Cut

Just got a YMCA Membership, What workout would be the best for me... And about how many months do you think it would take for me to see results.

The IF is one of the best diet I'm doing. Eat a beast mode meal don't feel bloated losing weight and still lifting heavy. It'll take a while for your body not to get hungry. Usually my routine is I eat when I work (steakhouse) so i eat a big steak/potato/veg. Protein/carbs. Lift.

So I'm 6 ft and weigh 235 And want to lose about 20 pounds what would you guys reccomding eating and exercise wise? I have strength but now I just need to tone down

i posed the question a few days back if anyone had done the hell raiser workout, I've been doing it, and i really really recommend it for anyone trying to gain mass. low frequency workouts but they really work you. + its sponsored by animal stak or w/e
bodybuilding.com/hellraiser 

Can someone repost a workout song by the dead prez guy a couple hundred pages back, and also the other one that was recently posted like last month, any help will be appreciated, thanks meatheads and mean mug lifting To u all lol

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Anyone read the 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris?
Yup.  Entertaining/interesting read.  My partner and I tried the program for kicks and for blog material. 

How is the 4 hour body? Does it work cause the book says you could lift 150 pounds more in 6 months? What kind of tips does it have?

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Anyone read the 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris?
Yup.  Entertaining/interesting read.  My partner and I tried the program for kicks and for blog material. 

Is it on said blog, Im interested to read it

Its lent for me right now, i gave up most if not all sugars, soda, juice, all bread.

latley ive been eating a lot of steak, pork, and potatoes.

what should i be eating most of right now? starting to see my 6 pack more and more but except for the bottom. i know what im eating isnt good atleast IMO I want to eat a lot but cleaner/leaner food. I know chicken but what else so im not hungry.

and yes ive been eating less calories but hell ive been burning a lot, im very very active outside of my time on NT
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FOOLIO

has anyone used 1mr? i use jack3d currently but i heard 1mr has u going harder, but I've also heard it gives u a headache

Started using Jack3d, the crash afterwards
sick.gif
1mr?...info?

I use white flood, copped them BOGO half off on bb.com a lil while back. It doesnt hit you that hard, but for me at least, it really lets you keep going once you get through the point in your workout where you start feeling sick - I usually lift for 1.5 hours minimum 5 or so times a week

Here is some food for thought,
One study did find that full fat milk promoted protein synthesis better than skim milk following training but nobody is sure why. It wasn’t because more calories were consumed because the researchers also tested enough skim milk to match the calories of the whole milk; whole milk was still superior.

My post workout shake is mixed with water because 2% milk is too high in calories but I didnt know full fat milk promotes muscle growth. Will be changing now.

Back
Top Bottom