Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by MarcMac360

Day two of IF. Its hard man.

Nah man... it's hormonal
Drink water, tea, coffee (little to no cream and use splenda), etc.

Ease into it too... start off with a 10hr fast or whatever and work up to a 16hr fast
I started with intention of a 24 hr right off the bat.....
laugh.gif
 I ended up starting with 16hr fast. And youre most definitely right. Most of the difficulty stems from you knowing that you eat at certain times and you havent so you get a little irritated or whatever. Ive been drinking water and all natural green tea. At the beginning of April I cut out all soft drinks and fast food. Today was a lift day and my first meal was white rice and chicken about 1-2 hours before lifting. I cant remember the last time my food translated into actual energy like that. I expect this method to work for me. The key is being disciplined. 

Day two of IF. Its hard man.

Nah man... it's hormonal
Drink water, tea, coffee (little to no cream and use splenda), etc.

Ease into it too... start off with a 10hr fast or whatever and work up to a 16hr fast
I started with intention of a 24 hr right off the bat.....
laugh.gif
 I ended up starting with 16hr fast. And youre most definitely right. Most of the difficulty stems from you knowing that you eat at certain times and you havent so you get a little irritated or whatever. Ive been drinking water and all natural green tea. At the beginning of April I cut out all soft drinks and fast food. Today was a lift day and my first meal was white rice and chicken about 1-2 hours before lifting. I cant remember the last time my food translated into actual energy like that. I expect this method to work for me. The key is being disciplined. 
the hardest part for me is watching everyone in my small office trailer eat at 7:00am, 9:30am, and 12:00pm before I get to eat... I'm not brooding on it or anything, but it smells good.
the second hardest part for me is i end up chewing the skin on my cheeks (groce). real talk... it's the weirdest thing. and not having flavors or anything for that long is hard to deal with some times

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Slowly but surely shredding away the belly, sides and lower back fat..FEELSGOODMAN.

what are you doing differently?

im doing work and you can easily see the top 4 abs which is awesome but damn the last 2 wont come in
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Bear with me as I'm no excersize guru, just going through the ropes, I've always had issues with that part of my body, then again I never did much ab/lower back workouts, to be honest just did lots of cardio more than anything....so anyways...here it goes...
-I decreased my juice/soda intake ALOT...I barely have any, drink more water
-been taking CLA as part of my supplements.
-I do HIIT for at least 10-15 mins on the treadmill every workout day except on leg days.
-as far as work outs I alternate with IN &OUTs, BICYCLES, WIDE LEG SITUPS, HIP ROCK&RAISE, MASON TWISTS 20 reps each, small 30 second rests one day and then I do SIDE PLANKS, MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS, PLANKS, MASON TWISTS, GOOD MORNING WITH BARBELL, 20 reps on the next day and repeat always after my regular workout and within 10-15 mins....
-I now work out 2 days, rest 1, then 3 days, rest 1
I'm sure there is a lot I could do better, but I feel good with this routine...better than I have before and I'm actually enjoying my time at the gym, not to mention I feel my physique improving and I'm maintaining my weight....I said it before I'm not trying to look like Ryan Reynolds, but just want a better silhouette...this fat at my waist has been there for my whole life, Ive dropped to 135Lbs in the past and even at that weight, my torso looked sloppy as F!

Wow, I'm surprised and happy this thread is still alive! I hope the OG dudes are still around. Stay healthy, fellas.

JEEEEEEEEEEEZ some of you light as a feather dudes are making me jealous
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I weighed in yesterday, five months into this... i'm at 227. Started at 288 on November 19. I originally said i'd be elated at 220, now i'm looking in the mirror, I want to challenge myself and get down to ~200 before the first day of summer
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I weighed in yesterday, five months into this... i'm at 227. Started at 288 on November 19. I originally said i'd be elated at 220, now i'm looking in the mirror, I want to challenge myself and get down to ~200 before the first day of summer
smile.gif

keep up the good work brah
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't weigh 135lbs, that's the lowest I've weighed when I very unhealthy dropped to that from 198lbs in a matter of 4 months...that was like 8-9 years ago though...now I'm maintaining at 165lbs...hopefully when is all Said and done ill be at a very healthy 160lbs

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

smile.gif

keep up the good work brah
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thanks man, it's been hard work and lots of dedication. You start seeing bones you weren't sure existed, never really saw myself as I now appear, which is a payoff within itself. BUT it's just getting started though, Feels Goodman
smokin.gif

Question though... I started lifting two months ago after going the first three with just 60mins cardio. Now I do 30 cardio before I decide to jump onto the weights. Should I change this? Lift first, cardio after? NO cardio on leg days? Enlighten me fellas.

Steezy always been secksified Lubu
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Lubu1

You were a chubby once steezy?

Skinny as a little boy, fat as young boy, skinny as fff through puberty, then fat going into my 20's that's when I dropped all that weight in my early 20's and since then I've climbed back into the weight I am now which is 165lbs but my body took a toll through my early years of bad eating, working crazy hours and not excersicing much...but for the past 3-4 years I've been good...eating better and excersicing, but really just started pushing myself about 4 months ago, so far so good though
smile.gif

Cinco, I've done the same alway, Cardio first....but I noticed I have a lot more strength and can lift more when I go straight into weights, just do some ballistic/static stretching before...do the cardio after, as of late it's worked better....weightlifting itself works your heart and burns fat.

i always say weights first then cardio, you want to use most of that energy and put it into your weight lifting so you get best of your workout then get into the cardio once your done.

Zyzz wrote:
dont pay no mind to him, organic food has no affect on body fat like these dudes are saying. food is food, eat clean and you BF will drop. eating a regular egg compared to an organic egg is the same damn thing except one costs more than the other. and yes i buy a lot of organic stuff but it makes no difference in correlation to diet and your body.

You keep telling yourself that. In the short term, sure, organic food won't matter. Bioaccumulation of toxins is a very real problem in the long run. Look at what is happening to other animals that are exposed to toxins regularly: They are becoming sterile and diseased. There is plenty of evidence to indicate a similar(albeit to a less degree) problem is occurring in humans. Infertility and numerous other problems have been appearing/spreading with alarming frequencies in the past 100 years. You think that has absolutely nothing to do quality of food?

Take one example: Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Are you telling me that conventional beef from a sick cow has the same nutrient content as the beef from a grass-fed, organic cow? You'd better be able to back that up with legitimate scientific research. Take a look at these: 

http://jas.fass.org/content/80/5/1202.long

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/?tool=pubmed

Omega 3 fatty acid supplementation has been shown to improve fatty acid profiles, insulin sensitivities, inflammatory markers, and many other factors. This is one of many examples that modern food processors don't talk about. What about magnesium, zinc, iodine, etc.? There are also the harmful substances such as PCBs, heavy metals, and plastics to be considered.

There is plenty of evidence in the scientific literature that pesticides and other additives in food production affect the endocrine system. The endocrine system regulates everything: body fat distribution, tissue health, cancer development, etc. I am talking about a much more comprehensive look at overall health than your simplistic, one-way thinking. Educate yourself before you make black and white claims.

Brett, I'm still convinced that you could add a significant amount of lean body mass. As far as I know, you never tried a seriously high volume plan. I'm talking about VERY high volume focused on compound movements(more than 15-20 sets per body part). There are some programs that may be considered 'extreme' by some, but may work for someone like you: a true hardgainer. Plus, you need to find out if you're mostly fast twitch, slow twitch, or normal fiber distribution. Test your 1 Rep Max, wait 10 minutes, and do max reps with 85% of your 1RM. This will tell you how you should be training.

i always did weights then cardio

started this month at 266 now im at 254 hope to get down to 250 by may 1 then lose 10 lbs per month after that

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Brett, I'm still convinced that you could add a significant amount of lean body mass. As far as I know, you never tried a seriously high volume plan. I'm talking about VERY high volume focused on compound movements(more than 15-20 sets per body part). There are some programs that may be considered 'extreme' by some, but may work for someone like you: a true hardgainer. Plus, you need to find out if you're mostly fast twitch, slow twitch, or normal fiber distribution. Test your 1 Rep Max, wait 10 minutes, and do max reps with 85% of your 1RM. This will tell you how you should be training.

At the moment I'm doing:
-3-4 sets of <6 reps

-5-6 sets of <9 reps

-5-6 sets of <13reps

All compounds movements. 

-Chest

-Shoulders/Back

-Squats/Arms

-Day Off

and it is working, it's just very slow with my caloric intake.

do you feel this is a good routine for lean muscle building if I increased my calories to 300-500 above maintenance ??

I also find it very difficult to find my true 1RM. With my current lifestyle (12 hour work days, 7 days a week), every time I go into the gym I feel completely different.

New to this thread, forgive me, but I am looking for some tips.

I am on a strict lifting program at small D3 college. I am lifting 5 days a week and pleased with my improvements.

However, I am struggling to find enough food. The cafeteria on campus is terrible and I don't have a kitchen- only a small dorm fridge.

We have a nutritionist on campus but haven't had the time to meet with her yet.

A supermarket and Trader Joe's are accessible, but again, since I only have a small dorm fridge and no stove I cannot cook full meals for myself.

I am still growing and would like to continue to gain weight, especially now in the offseason.
The food I rely on now is mostly takeout sandwiches or burgers or pizza, but is expensive and not very healthy. When I'm at home (during summer) I have amazing home cooked meals and I make great improvements in my goal of "bulking up".

tl;dr:

Anyone have tips for good meals for gaining weight I could make/obtain in a dorm setting?
Any other tips in general?

Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by cs02132

i always did weights then cardio

started this month at 266 now im at 254 hope to get down to 250 by may 1 then lose 10 lbs per month after that

Ive read a pound or two a week is the healthiest way to do it. General rule of thumb is the more weight you lose, your rate of weight loss will steadily decrease. Dont get discouraged though when you hit that plateau.

Ive been getting tattooed regularly for the past 2 weeks, really been messing up my workout schedule.
ohwell.gif

Also, my groin injury is getting worse. I could barely walk the day after I played ball and messed it up again. I dont dare try to deadlift anytime soon. Sucks.

At the moment I'm doing:
-3-4 sets of <6 reps

-5-6 sets of <9 reps

-5-6 sets of <13reps

All compounds movements. 

-Chest

-Shoulders/Back

-Squats/Arms

-Day Off

and it is working, it's just very slow with my caloric intake.

do you feel this is a good routine for lean muscle building if I increased my calories to 300-500 above maintenance ??

I also find it very difficult to find my true 1RM. With my current lifestyle (12 hour work days, 7 days a week), every time I go into the gym I feel completely different.

Brett, your 1RM doesn't matter so much. What we're looking for is your muscle fiber composition, which should stay constant, regardless of weight you're using on a particular day. If you're fast twitch, you should be training with heavy weight and lower reps. You'd be doing 4 or fewer reps at 85% of 1RM. Slow twitch dominant people should be using higher reps, lighter weight, more volume, more time under tension. If you're doing 8 or more reps at 85% of 1RM, you're more slow twitch. This will tell you how you should be training overall. I suspect that you're not a fast twitch individual, and probably lean closer to slow twitch dominant, considering what you've said in the past(struggle with gaining strength and weight).
What you're doing now seems alright, you're stimulating most of the motor units. But you may need to experiment with changing the proportion of sets at a given intensity(% of 1RM). For example, trying a month at more higher reps and lighter weight, giving more total volume. Then, try a month at lower reps, higher weight, and lower total volume.

I've set PR's on days that I never would have expected to, during periods of high stress, poor sleep, and limited time. You have to be smart about what you decide to train. This might mean focusing on a particular aspect of training(legs, for example) and putting the rest on maintenance to allow maximal gains in that one area. A similar thing applies to athletics and performance.

Originally Posted by drainthejumper4

New to this thread, forgive me, but I am looking for some tips.
I am on a strict lifting program at small D3 college. I am lifting 5 days a week and pleased with my improvements.
However, I am struggling to find enough food. The cafeteria on campus is terrible and I don't have a kitchen- only a small dorm fridge.
We have a nutritionist on campus but haven't had the time to meet with her yet. 
A supermarket and Trader Joe's are accessible, but again, since I only have a small dorm fridge and no stove I cannot cook full meals for myself.
I am still growing and would like to continue to gain weight, especially now in the offseason. 
The food I rely on now is mostly takeout sandwiches or burgers or pizza, but is expensive and not very healthy. When I'm at home (during summer) I have amazing home cooked meals and I make great improvements in my goal of "bulking up". 
tl;dr:
Anyone have tips for good meals for gaining weight I could make/obtain in a dorm setting? 
Any other tips in general? 
Thanks for the help
Crock pot

Anyone have success swimming 3+ days a week rather that cardio? I burn muscle extremely fast doing cardio. So I'm looking to swim to maintain muscle. Been to Jamaica and the D.R where they do tons of swimming, and them dudes are shredded.

Hitting this gym everyday, I'm getting results faster. Feels great. Still trying to pound out whats left of this stubborn belly fat. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom