Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by John Mayer

Originally Posted by John Mayer

Any good ways to remain in a cutting regiment while training to build speed and stamina when running. I don't want to sacrifice my weight regiment bc im finally gettn awesome gains in regards to muscle.

The main reason I ask is bc I am doing the Spartan race in june and the Warrior Dash in July.

I did a regular 5 last week and completing it in 39 min made me quite upset.

So any lifters train for speed and stamina too????

Thanks NTfamb
Im assuming youre talking 5k not miles? Run more, its probably your mental discipline that isnt there. I weigh 195 atm and ran a 5k in 23 minutes this week after not having run for over 6 months. Running is hard in a different way than lifting is. Its pain, for a long time. Thats what you need to get used to, and get over, to run faster.

Thanks for the motivation fambs.  
I guess i need a more structured method though.  I know the pain. a couple of years ago i would completely stop if i cramped in my calf or just got too winded.  I'm at the point I can run through the pain.
I remember seeing people posting a workout where u gradually build up ur running, was it the navy seals test?

If you want to do a 5k, do couch to 5k or one of their more advanced programs. Ive been doing c25k since april 1 and ive seen great improvements in my cardio

If that dude isn't on coke 
eek.gif

pimp.gif

Can someone please school me on what supplements i should be taking .
i.e. creatine, whey isolate, casein, silk aminos etc.

Originally Posted by MarcMac360

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

I want to start deadlifting, but I have what I feel is a weak core...advice?
When I started I felt I had a weak core too. ( I still do) But the best way is to start off small. Put 25s on the bar and work up. Get your legs and lower back used to the motions. It might not feel like a lot of weight but the point is to build proper form. If you eff up a deadlift you can eff up your whole body.

Thanks bro 
smokin.gif

I want to start deadlifting, but I have what I feel is a weak core...advice?
When I started I felt I had a weak core too. ( I still do) But the best way is to start off small. Put 25s on the bar and work up. Get your legs and lower back used to the motions. It might not feel like a lot of weight but the point is to build proper form. If you eff up a deadlift you can eff up your whole body.

Thanks bro 
smokin.gif
There really is no easy way into it. if you feel that it's your weak spot, work on it. i'd even say start with the just the bar just to get the form and technique right. With practice, gains will be
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
specially with deadlifts. Feels good knowing you can lift that much with proper form. You're gonna have to buy some straps in no time as long as you push yourself hard
pimp.gif

@Steezy regarding your social outing question.
I don't drink beer, ever. I do slack a little though in getting my Jameson and Cokes...need to switch to just straight whisky and avoid that BS.

It's hard trying to balance all the hard work in the gym and fun nights out. 

I drink alcohol once a week, maybe twice on a special occasion. 

I don't go crazy on the amount of drinks either.

Thanks, I don't drink much at all, when I do I usually do sangria, but I don't want to be a square at a bar not drinking, neither do I want to throw away a weeks hard work on some liquor...

Put on 23 pounds since January. So close to that sweet 185 I can taste it.

rseadi.gif

Thoughts on lentil, potato leek, escarole soups?...i drink a bowl regularly for lunch on my work days..

greg plitts intro to his site gets me ready to work out all the time, and assault is good but its expensive for what u get and its loaded with creatine (which i dnt mind but others might) i think u get 32 servings which they consider a 1/2 scoop 1 serving so u really only get 16 scoops, i think ive tried every pre workout out there and the best ive used is "c4" u can get like 60 servings for arnd 35-40 bucks taste good, crazy pumps/energy, i use 2 scoops of blu raz mixed with a little blue powerade for some extra carbs before the workout, works great

Originally Posted by dyzzle

Thanks bro 
smokin.gif
There really is no easy way into it. if you feel that it's your weak spot, work on it. i'd even say start with the just the bar just to get the form and technique right. With practice, gains will be
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
specially with deadlifts. Feels good knowing you can lift that much with proper form. You're gonna have to buy some straps in no time as long as you push yourself hard
pimp.gif
Don't buy straps. They will hinder the growth of your forearms and will not help you gain grip strength (pause) as you increase your deadlift. Learn the hook grip. It's uncomfortable at first but you'll get used to it. It's way better than a mixed grip. 

quick question
i just started cutting for the summer, trying to get shredded by June.....

the plan is to do Insanity Max Interval Cardio 2 days a week, and jog 30 mins 4 days a week after lifting

does this seem like a good cutting routine?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Does anyone else do overhead squats?
Yup. OHS are essential for anyone serious about increasing their athletic ability.

How can you increase your flexibility in your shoulder/rotator cuff? When I go down, my arms shift forward.

Also, what are other good exercises to complement OHS? My main focus is getting the OHS form right and increasing that particular lift.
That's a loaded question, because it may not be your rotator cuff or lack of flexibility that's preventing you from keeping an upright position.  It could be one or more of several issues: tight shoulder joint capsule, tight musculature, lack of t-spine rotation/extension, tight hip capsule, lack of internal/external hip rotation, lack of ankle dorsiflexion.  Might even be a stability or motor patterning fault rather than a mobility issue.

Yup. OHS are essential for anyone serious about increasing their athletic ability.

How can you increase your flexibility in your shoulder/rotator cuff? When I go down, my arms shift forward.

Also, what are other good exercises to complement OHS? My main focus is getting the OHS form right and increasing that particular lift.
That's a loaded question, because it may not be your rotator cuff or lack of flexibility that's preventing you from keeping an upright position.  It could be one or more of several issues: tight shoulder joint capsule, tight musculature, lack of t-spine rotation/extension, tight hip capsule, lack of internal/external hip rotation, lack of ankle dorsiflexion.  Might even be a stability or motor patterning fault rather than a mobility issue.

Can I identify the problem and correct it? I have a strong feeling it's my flexibility, because when I take a pole and try and raise it over my head, I find that I can't really do it past a certain point. Same thing with doing arm circles, my arm kicks out in the back so I think my flexibility could have a strong role in this.

I did a light back workout yesterday and the question is can i do a bi's and Tri's Workout Today?? or do i need to take a day off?

Originally Posted by jorrdanfan23

I did a light back workout yesterday and the question is can i do a bi's and Tri's Workout Today?? or do i need to take a day off?

I usually try not to do bi's and tri's on the same day, you should have combined back/bi's yesterday. But you should be fine but I would try to mix it up.

Can someone run down for me some foods that are considered "clean foods". Aside from the obvious of course. Im trying to eat healthier, but I cheat on myself too much

Originally Posted by solarius49

Can someone run down for me some foods that are considered "clean foods". Aside from the obvious of course. Im trying to eat healthier, but I cheat on myself too much

Lean meats are "clean" food.  Cooked the right way that is, low sodium seasoning etc etc. Anything that has high fructose corn syrup or that enriched flour stuff is bad. Brown rice is healthier compared to white rice. Sweet potatoes> white potatoes.  High sugar contents are bad.. Just look at your labels and calculate everything. Easily done and its a habit for me to look at them now. 

Back
Top Bottom