Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I agree. Both squatting and deadlifting are natural movements. If you see a child pick an object up, they will perform it properly rather than just bend their back to pick it up. Same with squatting. People are conditioned to do it the lazy way which is dangerous. That's why you see so many people that pull their backs out while lifting an object. They're just lazy and/or lack flexibility and do the motions wrong.

...... but no one is a child here.
I'm not saying anybody is.
So teaching squatting technique is necessary/advised.  Correct?
Of course it's necessary in the early stages for those who lack flexibility.

However, if I provided you with an individual who had sufficient hip mobility the only thing you'd have to teach them is bar placement. They'd squat pretty good all on their own.
The squat is not a complicated movement at all. In fact, the reason why so many people squat poorly (aside form the lack of flexibility) is that they concentrate on the wrong things. Most people will actually concentrate on, " oh I have to keep my back straight, my shins perpendicular, and make sure my knees don't go past my toes". The squat is a very natural fluid motion and so long as that person has the hip mobility, the only thing to concentrate on the eccentric part is keeping your core tight (squeezing your obliques and abs).

On the concentric part, one tip that works great is to actually make believe like you're trying to push your head into the bar. It keeps you pretty straight.

its hard for me to hold the bar on heavier weights, because of flexibility. what excercises can i use to stretch out/build flexibility?

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Just bought PreSurge Unleashed today...took it like 4 hours ago and still feel it just as strong as i did when i was in the gym. #!$$ had me not wanting to leave
laugh.gif

YES FINALLY!!!

Isn't it great? I'm telling you guys, this stuff is legit!

oh, and here's a progress pic. not flexing hard, but feel fuller since the last few weeks.

Hey there bodybuilding forum of nt
tongue.gif

Well, just recently I somewhat injured myself working out. My legs have always been the weakest part of my body and I always dreaded leg days because of such, but I figure I have to work out my legs because they are the weakest part of my body. Well, today, as I was doing squats, my lower back began to hurt. This isn't the first time it has happened either. It usually happens as I do "heavier" weight. I believe my form is somewhat fair, but if I'm getting injured while working out, then that should say something
ohwell.gif
I learned to squat from playing football in high school. Feet planted, chest out, head forward, sink hips, 90 degree squat, and come up. I'm unsure what I could be doing wrong, but I do notice that as I squat, the pain in my lower back comes as I come up from the squat, never when I go down. Also, sometimes as I come up, when I struggle, my lower back sometimes sort of bends, not forward, but side ways. Not sure of how I can explain that. This sucks because it basically ruined my whole work out day. I struggled with damn near every workout I did today because of lower back pains.

Any ideas or solutions to my problem? Also, what are those belts people wear to squat, they are only for people who do like 500lbs when squating?

hyper cutter what do you weigh/what is your height?

also just curious, what is your bench press working set look like

^i 5'8 140 lbs at the most right now

I can see myself getting to 145 in the next 3 weeks if everything goes well.

My flat bench is my most frustrating exercise lol i do 215lbs at the most, though i can take it up to 225 if i wanted to. it's just sometimes i'm not balanced on the bench and it's annoying.

^^Jordan Novice you say that your form is somewhat fair, but for squats you need to have good form and not somewhat fair. Do you stretch your back/hips out before you work out? Get on the leg press too if it hurts too much to build up some strength. Try doing some box squats first and work on your technique (head up instead of forward, feet shoulder width apart, controlled sit on the bench and lift with legs). If you have bad squatting technique, that'll only make you lift using your back instead of your legs which feels horrible. I think you might be repping too much weight because you say that your back bends sideways. And as far as the belts, I've only used them when I max or go over 315 on each side, it helps with keeping your core tight. Other people tell me that it keeps them from deucing themselves lol. I've never seen a use in the knee wraps though, except for the people putting up Ronnie Coleman weight.

I've been lifting consistently for about a month now using a NO-Xplode/CellMass/Whey Protein Stack. It seems to me that everybody on the internet and weightlifting forums that NO-Xplode and CellMass aren't very good, but I'm seeing results so I don't care haha. What are your thoughts on this particular stack? Any other suggestions? I've heard nothing but good things about the Jacked BlackPowder? supplements and am looking for something after this next 4 weeks is up. My manboobs have a ridge in the middle now, boosted.

Hyper

You ever do DB press?

You look pretty lean....I've been trying to stay as lean as possible for summer and wish i would have competed this year, having to hear the guys in the gym giving me crap cause i walk around at such a low bf. It would only take a few weeks of dieting to get ready but I'm having nerve problems in my lower back so i decided against it.

yuku is messing all of us up isn't it?

jdub-i used to to DB press, stopped though. i did DB flys for a while, didn't like them. I do incorporate cable fly/crossover/press though. it's easier to get a burn with cables than with even a bench IMO.

Oh yeah

Yeah i do Incline DB press and flat back DB press, ill do DB fly, press combo where you do 6-8 flies then switch and do 6-8 press without stopping. I love finishing up with cables, start at the top and work my way down.

Originally Posted by theword

^^Jordan Novice you say that your form is somewhat fair, but for squats you need to have good form and not somewhat fair. Do you stretch your back/hips out before you work out? Get on the leg press too if it hurts too much to build up some strength. Try doing some box squats first and work on your technique (head up instead of forward, feet shoulder width apart, controlled sit on the bench and lift with legs). If you have bad squatting technique, that'll only make you lift using your back instead of your legs which feels horrible. I think you might be repping too much weight because you say that your back bends sideways. And as far as the belts, I've only used them when I max or go over 315 on each side, it helps with keeping your core tight. Other people tell me that it keeps them from deucing themselves lol. I've never seen a use in the knee wraps though, except for the people putting up Ronnie Coleman weight.

I don't stretch my back or hips, guess I should start. Any sort of stretches I should try or do? Also, I work out at home, so no leg press. And as for box squats, I just can set my bench down and squat on top of it? That should help my form? As well as look up to the ceiling instead of straight forward. And what I mean by sideways is I guess, one side of the bar goes up, and then the other side of the bar rises. It's hard to explain. Also, I do two warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5. And every week I try to add 5 pounds(2.5 on each side)

A good stretch that I like to do is lie down on my back and put your arms out at your side and bring your legs to your arms, ex. bring your left leg over to try to reach your right hand and switch, after that do it on your stomach. You'll be surprised at how much your back cracks lol. Hip rotations are good too, and I've started doing some bridges, if you've got one of those big bouncy balls just lie on it and you can feel around what gets you a good stretch. Even hanging from a pullup bar is a good stretch before and after your workout.

As for box squats that's fine how you set it up. Just make sure your form is good, and get comfortable with sitting on the bench with the bar because it feels weird as hell at first. That should help you with the feel of how low you have to go, a lot of people who don't have the right technique squatting usually go too low and throw their backs out. The bar going from side to side usually means you're using too much weight. It's nothing personal on you but just don't use too much weight, it's all about technique with squats. Where you place the bar and hand placement is another thing you might need to adjust as well. How much weight do you squat with? Unless you're doing super weight, you should try to go for more reps with your set instead of 3x5, try maybe a warmup 15, then start with a 12, 10, 8 to get your technique up.

aside from just the lifting..what could i do to build fast twitch muscles on the legs? i want to be able to explode/run quicker in sports. plyo/iso? any exercise/stretching technique that work well?

Originally Posted by l2icel3oi9i6

aside from just the lifting..what could i do to build fast twitch muscles on the legs? i want to be able to explode/run quicker in sports. plyo/iso? any exercise/stretching technique that work well?

-lifting
-pylos
-sprints

Find a track and field workout program and follow it.

I eat around 2400 on training days and around 2100 on non training days. seems to work for me, as far as maintenance and slight gains are concerned. i don't want to push it. i'm always freaking hungry though lol

pretty good prices if you need to reup your protein

2x5lb Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein $65.90 ($32.95ea) Shipped / 4lb Casein $33.95 Shipped / 2x4.4lb Pro Complex $79.90 ($39.95ea) Shipped / 3.5lb Hydrowhey $46.95 Shipped

http://www.fitrx.com

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

pretty good prices if you need to reup your protein

2x5lb Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein $65.90 ($32.95ea) Shipped / 4lb Casein $33.95 Shipped / 2x4.4lb Pro Complex $79.90 ($39.95ea) Shipped / 3.5lb Hydrowhey $46.95 Shipped

http://www.fitrx.com

I re-upped a couple weeks ago and still have a 5lb tub of Whey, I ain't use yet.. smh.. I might still cop though..

Originally Posted by rtz13

its hard for me to hold the bar on heavier weights, because of flexibility. what excercises can i use to stretch out/build flexibility?

Hard for you to hold the bar as in the weight feels too heavy (even though you can squat the weight) ?
If this is the case than it's no so much flexibility as it is core strentgh. For core strentgh I'd recommend front squats and zercher squats  to a low box.

^ Use a chair. Just make sure its stable enough and tall enough for you.

Im getting better at front squat. I found the holding part weird and uncomfortable at first but now I can rest it on my chest and just stabilize it with my hands. I'll try heavier weights next week.

Back
Top Bottom