Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by davizzy

yo fellas, so i been lurking this thread a lot lately since i started lifting about 2 months ago going for 3. I always been a small dude in height and weight. So I finally got tired of this so I have decided to start lifting. I have gotten getting stronger since I started and i have been seeing a bit of results. I think i have gained like 5 or so pounds since i started. I am still pretty new to this scene and today I realized a did a dumb #$% mistake. I worked out my tri's before bench-press since all the benches were taken and resulted in not being able to hit the bench like i usually do or how i like to hit it
smh.gif
. I might have to do chest again on Thursday cus of this. Which brings me to not having a consistent split that i stick to. Usually i keep a split for 2-3 weeks than change it. I want to get to get to something like where iLLest is at by around this time next year or earlier if possible. I would appreciate it if someone recommends me a good 3-4 day split, maybe even breakdown which exercises to do that day(i.e.- bench press, squats). Thanks.
Many people like to target specific muscle groups per day, like biceps then triceps then chest but I find that to be a waste of time. For me I just have 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. I tried the individual muscle group think for about 2 weeks but too many of my exercises were compound lifts so I was like forget about this.

For you, I'd try:
Monday: Upper
Tuesday: Lower
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Upper
Friday: Lower
Sat/Sun: Rest

Oh and some things to avoid:

1. The machines. For some reason everyone new to lifting loves to use the machines. Machines suck because they restrict you to a single line of motion. It's not natural and you don't work your stabilizer muscles. Everything you do should be free weight and when you're starting out use dumbbells and not barbells so you can balance your strength better.

2. Squats aren't bad. Everyone new insists that squats are too hard and bad for your knees. If you don't want to do them, then fine, don't. But if you want a great exercise that really forces your body to work in conjunction to improve coordination and balance, do squats. And don't use the smith machine. Use free weights.

3. Isolation exercises. All the kids at the gym I go to love to do curls. They have some kind of curl obsession. If they aren't benching, they're curling. And yet many of them don't get any bigger. A lot of that is diet related but curls are a waste of time, like most isolation exercises. Unless you're just bodybuilding and don't give a crap about having muscle coordination and athletic performance, I'd stick to compound exercises. They work great also, chin ups are great bicep exercises and get your whole upper body working together.

Finally, I noticed you wanted to look like iLLest. I don't know him but you can tell by the pics he posted that he's serious about what he does. To get to a physique like that you'll need to be very dedicated and disciplined. So eat good foods and don't try to look for shortcuts. Don't even look into creatine or any kind of supplements, just eat well and eat a lot. Once you're done building muscle just start cutting fat, then start building again.

Originally Posted by GhostWriter

Got a couple of questions

First off I'm 6'0 and 175 pounds

1. I'm basically skinny but I have love handles. How do I get rid of them? I know you can't spot train.

2. I'm gonna start fasting for Ramadan starting Wednesday. What type of foods should I eat to loose about 5-10 lbs during fasting?

3. What's the best fat burning supplements to take?

4. Is a multivitamin even worth it? I'm taking Centrum right now.

I'm responding to my own post.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated   
glasses.gif

Chalk one up for the motivation folder
pimp.gif

I don't think you need to take the whole split dedication so seriously.
If you've gained five pounds of muscle in 3 months you are making amazing progress.
As far as loosing strength on your bench b/c your tri's were tired... I used to laugh at people who actually had a dedicated arms day. To me, doing biceps curls is like jerking off. Then I realized that my DB bench isn't progressing 100% due to the fact my biceps+forearms are the first to give out. My chest is my priority area and I'm unable to isolate it due to weak arms.. plus that's all females care about. So, I started dedicated one full day to arms and although I feel silly it has helped.

Anyways.. Maybe you want to do TRI+BI+FOREs on a separate day so your arms will be fresh for your bench pressing.
I've done a whole bunch of splits, and in every interview I read they say "what split has worked best for you"... the fact of the matter is I don't think the split matters too much.

1) make sure your muscle groups get sufficient rest (24-48 hr) prior to being under stress again, and this includes indirect stress.
2) make sure you do the exercises + sets + reps you want to help meet your goals, and keep it balanced week to week

1. I'm basically skinny but I have love handles. How do I get rid of them? I know you can't spot train.

2. I'm gonna start fasting for Ramadan starting Wednesday. What type of foods should I eat to loose about 5-10 lbs during fasting?

glasses.gif
I'm bored.. let's see what I can help with

1.To get rid of the love handles you need to remove body fat. Eating healthy and generally less calories will help. By adding muscle to your body it will really help burn fat. You can stay the same weight but look completely different by adding muscle and loosing fat.

2. To make sure you loose weight and not just have all the food you eat turned into stored fat, make sure you are eating complex carbs and protein. This will give you energy and mind set.

3. Green Tea

4. Absolutely

Quick question if ya had to choose between tricep extension or EZ Bar Close Grip Bench for triceps which exercise will ya go with, same goes for standing barbell curl vs Seated Dumbbell Curl which one ya prefer?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Im doing a strength programme.

I've got a new PB on my bench (67.5) kg. However, my programme is 5x5, currently I was only able to complete 5/4/3/3/3.. I need a spotter.

Now my question is if I can do 5/5/5/5/5 with a spotter, should I move onto 70kg, or do 67.5 until I can get it by myself?

Im getting down to 220lbs 5x5 squats below parallel now, seeing crazy improvement in my vert and explosivity.

Another question - im beginning basketball training, where I train 3x a week. My programme is designed to do squats 3x a week. This will not work. Is there anyway around this? i'd hate to lose my progress yet id hate to be fatigued/overtrained for basketball..

Any experienced heads can help me out??

Any takers?

If I were you I'd wait until I had a spotter, better to be safe especially when you're dealing with high effort loads, or you could use dumbbells.
You're not doing the rippetoe program, are you?

And if it doesn't work, change it! Squat 2x a week should be enough, but what is your goal? Get stronger, bigger, in shape, etc.?

And what is your basketball training regimen?

Yeah, definitely using a spotter I am beginning to workout with a buddy so its much easier.

My goal is to get stronger and bigger - just focusing on compounds.  I am doing the 5x5 Strong Lifts programme.

Currently my reigmen is a game Mon, Weds, training Thurs game Sat.  So I don't have much space left to recovery/squat.

Originally Posted by BmoneyBagz

Quick question if ya had to choose between tricep extension or EZ Bar Close Grip Bench for triceps which exercise will ya go with, same goes for standing barbell curl vs Seated Dumbbell Curl which one ya prefer?

ez bar skullcrushers then superset to close grip bench

heavy standing barbell curls with perfect form

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Something I was talking to my boys about last night. We were at Hooters during UFC and there were a lot of dudes that just looked super strong. Has the weight lifting world become like Baseball in the Early 2000s? Where it is assumed folks are dirty? Especially since Jersey Shore folks just blatantly discuss how roided up they are it just seems like I am being left behind because I want to hold on to my integrity. Even in terms of certain supplements I refuse to take because I feel like it is almost cheating. But also I don't know the long term effects of many of these projects.

Like all of these dudes being posted in here I wonder how legit they are. But does it even matter anymore or is the end result all that matters?

Plus I am scared I might become infertile and/or have my stuff shrink by taking stuff.
Dude... your body is a high performance, hand crafted luxury sport car. It's class is unparalleled and timeless. You fuel it with the highest quality octane (eat healthy), and keep it running smooth (working out).

Just because some idiot dropped a supercharger in his dodge neon doesn't mean it's a supercar.
laugh.gif

Besides...I started reading a lot about juice a little while ago from a board of actual body builders. There was a couple sticky threads to attend the mass amount of guido newbies who wanted to add 40lbs of muscle tomorrow. This is what I got out of it.

-All anabolic steroids such as "deca" "d-bol" "whinstrol" "hgh" ETC ETC at simply accessory drugs to be stacked with Testosterone. Any of these drugs on their own are pointless.
-After three years of dedicated training and nutrition most humans will reach a genetic potential. (or at least 80%, the remaining 20% being 80% harder to achieve). Coincidentally, after three years of training you should know EXACTLY how certain rep ranges, certain sets, time between sets, days of rest, rations of macros, hours of sleep, ETC ETC affect your progress.

So, unless a person is at that point in their body building career drugs are pointless and even harmless. From what I've read that is.

Which doesn't explain why so many guidos are absolutely JACKED...you know damn well they dont know any of that.

Especially after watching Jersey Shore and they were all using machines at the gym and doing curls...shows they know zero about body building

First things first. HGH is NOT an anabolic steroid. Winstrol, dbol and other are not pointless by itself. All steroids are made.for different reasons and the notion that all steroids have to be used with test is old and plain broscience. Though it is a good idea to add test while using others to keep you libido up as well as other benefits, your actually shutting down your bodies natural test down even more leaving you with a longer time for your body to recover. So depending on what your aiming for, 1 steroid on its own is good enough. Also take into consideration that everyones body is different. Im working with a guy eight now only taking winstrol and has gained 10lbs in 4 weeks. Im actually shocked because winstrol isnt known to put on mass but more hardening and drying.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Something I was talking to my boys about last night. We were at Hooters during UFC and there were a lot of dudes that just looked super strong. Has the weight lifting world become like Baseball in the Early 2000s? Where it is assumed folks are dirty? Especially since Jersey Shore folks just blatantly discuss how roided up they are it just seems like I am being left behind because I want to hold on to my integrity. Even in terms of certain supplements I refuse to take because I feel like it is almost cheating. But also I don't know the long term effects of many of these projects.

Like all of these dudes being posted in here I wonder how legit they are. But does it even matter anymore or is the end result all that matters?

Plus I am scared I might become infertile and/or have my stuff shrink by taking stuff.

If your not competing how is it cheating? Lol. I never understood why ppl say its cheating if ur not competing or hiding the truth.First, your dlck doesnt shrink, your ballz can and may. Yes you can become infertile. But that depends on frequency of usage.But at the end of the day its all about the results. And you cant assume every one is juicing by the way they look. Some people are blessed with superb genetics.

Man how bout your big diesel #%@ chime in on some workout help and routines instead of just waiting and sifting through steroids posts?

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Im doing a strength programme.

I've got a new PB on my bench (67.5) kg. However, my programme is 5x5, currently I was only able to complete 5/4/3/3/3.. I need a spotter.

Now my question is if I can do 5/5/5/5/5 with a spotter, should I move onto 70kg, or do 67.5 until I can get it by myself?

Im getting down to 220lbs 5x5 squats below parallel now, seeing crazy improvement in my vert and explosivity.

Another question - im beginning basketball training, where I train 3x a week. My programme is designed to do squats 3x a week. This will not work. Is there anyway around this? i'd hate to lose my progress yet id hate to be fatigued/overtrained for basketball..

Any experienced heads can help me out??

Any takers?

If I were you I'd wait until I had a spotter, better to be safe especially when you're dealing with high effort loads, or you could use dumbbells.
You're not doing the rippetoe program, are you?

And if it doesn't work, change it! Squat 2x a week should be enough, but what is your goal? Get stronger, bigger, in shape, etc.?

And what is your basketball training regimen?

Yeah, definitely using a spotter I am beginning to workout with a buddy so its much easier.

My goal is to get stronger and bigger - just focusing on compounds.  I am doing the 5x5 Strong Lifts programme.

Currently my reigmen is a game Mon, Weds, training Thurs game Sat.  So I don't have much space left to recovery/squat.
So wait, you only have 1 actual basketball training day?

For me, when I train basketball, I always put games after practice. Practice promotes good habits while games bring out natural (which are usually bad) habits like not getting back on D, not moving well off the ball, etc.

I'm assuming you're in some kind of summer league so I'd try and find one where there are games maybe once every week. Then work out both basketball and weights 5x a week and take the last day off for recovery. You will need to recover, so make sure you split the time well. Are you just playing ball, or do you have some kind of job? If you're open every day, try going to the gym really early in the morning to lift, then do a basketball workout, then play the games at night. It's crucial that you train basketball after you work out so you can maintain good form and techniques.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Man how bout your big diesel #%@ chime in on some workout help and routines instead of just waiting and sifting through steroids posts?

Thats because i dont train too much differently than anyone else in here besides me doing 4 + sets instead of the standard 3. Plus the same questions are asked a billion times in here with generally the.same answers. The public needs to be educated on steroids, not mis informed.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Thats because i dont train too much differently than anyone else in here besides me doing 4 + sets instead of the standard 3. Plus the same questions are asked a billion times in here with generally the.same answers. The public needs to be educated on steroids, not mis informed.
and how do I do this??

-Does the location [on your body] of injection matter?
-What if you don't jack up your calorie intake?
-Does it matter what time of day in relation to your workout you inject?

It can't be as simple as tossing a needle in my +@+ once a day for two months and adding 15 lbs of meat.

and how do I do this??

It can't be as simple as tossing a needle in my +@+ once a day for two months and adding 15 lbs of meat.

It doesnt matter which muscle you inject into. The point is to get the steroid into your body which it will with any muscle.excluding organs ofcoarse. Though there is talk about site injection affecting the specific area more than others. Ex is test prop injected in inner thy to get rid of stubborn fat in that area. If you dont increase cals it doesnt mean you wont grow but you wont grow as much. Steroids increase the protien synthesis and food obsorption. Its also steroid dependant.Remember, steroids isnt just used for sports and physical enhancement. Its also for medical reasons such as aids. Patients can easily add 10lbs of lean mass while maintaining a normal diet. And this can be done with 1 steroid which is usually the case. Thus one of the reasons i say test doesnt have to be stacked to be affective.Does it matter wht time you inj? Inject arent immediatly afffective and can take 4-6 weeks to stabilize in ur body then you begin to see results. Oral steroids take affect more quickly and depending on which your taking can affect ur training. But its all prefrence in the end. As long as its stable in your blood its doest matter when you take it imo. One theroy is after a workout, your receptors are more open and orals are more efficiantly obsorbed. Yea it is as simple as injecting and poppn then gaining 15lbs.But thats not the way to go. You need to educate ur self as much as possible, because your affecting your hormones. It doesnt only affect you physically but mentally and not necessarily in a bad way.

and how do I do this??

It doesnt matter which muscle you inject into. The point is to get the steroid into your body which it will with any muscle.excluding organs ofcoarse. Though there is talk about site injection affecting the specific area more than others. Ex is test prop injected in inner thy to get rid of stubborn fat in that area. If you dont increase cals it doesnt mean you wont grow but you wont grow as much. Steroids increase the protien synthesis and food obsorption. Its also steroid dependant.Remember, steroids isnt just used for sports and physical enhancement. Its also for medical reasons such as aids. Patients can easily add 10lbs of lean mass while maintaining a normal diet. And this can be done with 1 steroid which is usually the case. Thus one of the reasons i say test doesnt have to be stacked to be affective.Does it matter wht time you inj? Inject arent immediatly afffective and can take 4-6 weeks to stabilize in ur body then you begin to see results. Oral steroids take affect more quickly and depending on which your taking can affect ur training. But its all prefrence in the end. As long as its stable in your blood its doest matter when you take it imo. One theroy is after a workout, your receptors are more open and orals are more efficiantly obsorbed. Yea it is as simple as injecting and poppn then gaining 15lbs.But thats not the way to go. You need to educate ur self as much as possible, because your affecting your hormones. It doesnt only affect you physically but mentally and not necessarily in a bad way.

I agree with this guy educate yourself be ready for sides and theres no real dangers running cycles as long as you arent reckless. Im on a 5wk pplex right now 2nd week in up 8lbs and bodyfat seems to be dropping

I'm curious as to how strict you guys are with regard to you're diets? Do you cheat often or even at all? I try really hard to maintain a well balanced and healthy diet but I'm not as overboard as some health crazy people are (no salt or no seasoning basically). I cheated hard yesterday at a theme park with the whole nine yards from funnel cake to turkey legs. I feel pretty bad when I have to cheat because it honestly makes me feel like a hard workout that day was canceled out. This thread lacks a more nutrition aspect of training which in my opinion is about as close to the importance of the actual training itself since it's the fuel of it all. Brett mentioned a while back a pretty solid list of muscle building foods, but how do you implement those diets. Do you meticulously time meals and count caloric intake and what does you're typical day of meals consist of?

^^^ basically eat every few hours.

A good analogy on nutrition i heard:
-You body is like a fire.. if you put a huge log in a fire pit every 6 hours its gonna be a slow burn and leave you with a large solid waste and majority of that log doesnt even burn it just smolders. However.. if you put in smaller amount of food every two or three hours it will burn to ashes.

I just try to have a balance of carbs/protein/low fat throughout the day. Eating a meal at 8, 11, 1, 4, 7 and 10.

Dont bother counting calories just make sure you are eating healthy and balanced.. you will eventually realize you need more or less carbs or protein.
For muscle building, I've learned that pre and post workout meals are the most important. I suppose 40g protein/80g carbs and hour before working out is great for energy and then 50g protein/60g is ideal for post workout? You want slow-digesting (complex) carbs before working out (including throughout the day) and fast digesting carbs post workout. i.e. white bread

glasses.gif
I'm bored.. let's see what I can help with

1.To get rid of the love handles you need to remove body fat. Eating healthy and generally less calories will help. By adding muscle to your body it will really help burn fat. You can stay the same weight but look completely different by adding muscle and loosing fat.

2. To make sure you loose weight and not just have all the food you eat turned into stored fat, make sure you are eating complex carbs and protein. This will give you energy and mind set.

3. Green Tea

4. Absolutely

Thanks man!

What are some good complex carbs and protein?

What type of green tea do you take?

Sorry if the answers to the questions I have have been posted before but couldn't find concrete answers.

1. I've heard that running very early in the morning is most beneficial. True or false? On an empty stomach or is having a quick banana okay?
2. For the past two months I've been lifting (using weight machines) then doing 25-30 minutes of fairly intense cardio. Would alternate between that and just strictly cardio (run, swim) the next day. Is it better to separate cardio and lifting (ie. cardio in morning and just lifting later at night or continue the way I have?)
3. How long does it take before someones weight stabilizes and your body adapts? I've been dropping weight (about a pound to two pounds a week for the last two months). How long do I have to continue on a strict diet before my body starts adjusting fully?

I would greatly appreciate the help as someone who isn't as knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

Originally Posted by dadownclub8

Sorry if the answers to the questions I have have been posted before but couldn't find concrete answers.

1. I've heard that running very early in the morning is most beneficial. True or false? On an empty stomach or is having a quick banana okay?
2. For the past two months I've been lifting (using weight machines) then doing 25-30 minutes of fairly intense cardio. Would alternate between that and just strictly cardio (run, swim) the next day. Is it better to separate cardio and lifting (ie. cardio in morning and just lifting later at night or continue the way I have?)
3. How long does it take before someones weight stabilizes and your body adapts? I've been dropping weight (about a pound to two pounds a week for the last two months). How long do I have to continue on a strict diet before my body starts adjusting fully?

I would greatly appreciate the help as someone who isn't as knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.
1) It is beneficial, because overnight your body has burned pretty much everything you've eaten the day before so immediately, running will tap into your fat reserve. However if you're not used to it you may succumb to heachade/dizzyness due to lack of energy. A banana sufficed me
2) I prefer lifting, then doing cardio. Generally a better rule when working out. Burn sugar first, then fat.
3) This depends on the individuals. I do not know how to answer this question. 

and how do I do this??

People seem to think that site injections get the first gateway on androgen receptors but as of recent its been proven false. Location matters if you are running something like liquid winny or something with ed (everyday) or eod (every other day), injections. Scar tissue builds up around the pinned site and if you pin that body part to much its going to swell up and hurt or you can get an infection. You are supposed to rotate sites once every 5 days, quads, delts, glutes.

The same diet will give results no matter what because of the androgenic activity that is going on but your appetite is going to go through the roof basically forcing you to eat more, its hard to get full.

Guys like to pin before the gym because they get that mental placebo boost but its not like drinking a red bull you don't get all hyped up. You can pin whenever just as long as you are meeting your daily or weekly dosage.

Imagine how many times a day this dude checks himself out in the mirror
smh.gif
. I think this is the ideal body type for many dudes these days...obviously lifts weights but doesnt look way too big. It`s common to see many soccer players with sub-10% bodyfat but not with this much mass.

103286207.jpg

103286159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom