Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by bkmac

No matter the exercise, no matter how many sets/reps I do, no matter how much weight I am using, my biceps are just not getting any bigger. What gives? 
30t6p3b.gif

ohwell.gif

Forget the curls, weighted pull ups and high volume of pullups will REALLY get your biceps growing.
The bicep is a relatively small muscle, if you want bigger arms just remember that your tricep is 2/3rd of your arm size.

Originally Posted by bkmac

No matter the exercise, no matter how many sets/reps I do, no matter how much weight I am using, my biceps are just not getting any bigger. What gives? 
30t6p3b.gif

ohwell.gif
I dont care much for biceps but maybe you should try doing heavy weighted back exercises (if you arent already doing so). Pull-ups, chin-ups, weighted chin-ups, barbell rows, dumbell rows, lat pull downs, seated rows, etc. Dont be like those dudes at the gym that do 10 variations of curls, they can all do so much for your biceps
laugh.gif

P.S. I hate it when guys at the gym use adjustable benches to do one-armed dumbell preacher curls. I feel like slapping them everytime I see this crap. They're up there with the douches that use benches to rest the bar in between their bicep curl sets
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Yo Im in college now and wanting to get into shape, mainly increase my lifting and stuff. Ive always been a pretty good runner and i think if I get somewhat good at lifting Ill at least find it fun and tend not to abandon it. Gotta commit to this now.

BTW, anybody tried this thing called JACK3D? This kid on my floors a personal trainer and he has it.

so ive finally motivated myself to start losing weight and getting in better health and to look better, this thread is over 500 pages so I'm not going to skim through everything and read, but I'm going to need my nt fam help

any sites or any info on

good weekly diets to stick to to lose weight
or what supliments help boost energy and things like that
and most of all any work outs that were really benificial in losing weight/getting cut

im around 220 right now and trying to be a fit 180. we'll see how this goes, i know a lot of you have a lot of good info with you so please help me out.

mostly need to lose my love handles, and stomach area.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

its a supplement bro. i dont take anything other than protein and only a few times a week but it done for a reason. i dont like consuming meat with every meal so i use the protein as a supplement.
Not about you, just something that I noticed. It's not completely relevant, but I guess it might make sense to some. A bit over a year ago, before I discovered intermittent fasting and undereating during the day, I started to despise eating 6 times a day. All the snacks, worrying about protein, etc. I'd hate to prepare snacks or grab something during the day and eat. I was never satisfied and I never enjoyed the food because it was gone before I knew it. As soon as I found intermittent fasting, I loved eating again. I loved the flavors and the act of eating. I didn't mind eating the same things over and over again because I was just glad I was getting food. And because of the fasting, my taste buds were basically "reset" everyday. I'd enjoy everything I ate. Just an observation I had, and thought it might help others out. I guess you don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it. It worked for me with food. I guess it's partially why I hate the 5-6 snacks a day diet. 3 or 4 meals is the max I could handle, but even then, 2 or 3 large meals is all that I'd consistently maintain.

Originally Posted by ReRetroMe

so ive finally motivated myself to start losing weight and getting in better health and to look better, this thread is over 500 pages so I'm not going to skim through everything and read, but I'm going to need my nt fam help

any sites or any info on

good weekly diets to stick to to lose weight
or what supliments help boost energy and things like that
and most of all any work outs that were really benificial in losing weight/getting cut

im around 220 right now and trying to be a fit 180. we'll see how this goes, i know a lot of you have a lot of good info with you so please help me out.

mostly need to lose my love handles, and stomach area.

here's a good guide:
http://forum.bodybuilding...=401681611#post401681611
http://

anyone ever get "Realigned" at the Chiropractor?

whenever i do squats/bench/running..... anything

i feel like my hips/shoulders are twisted forward a little on the right. its just weird

next day ill be much more sore on my right side, especially in my hip flexor.

very strange to me, want to get it fixed but idk how.....

shoulders shrugged forward^ ?
Work your lateral/anterior deltoid, they probably need more strength.

When your running uphill put your upperbody in a forward stance, and step with toe then plant the rest; it will decrease the vibration/impact.

1/3/2010
f91158e9fd878c68ec41d1bc5df9d8c9d67b622.jpg

9/16/2010
ee525fde33f7580c8fa6905b9c200a2bcc2f62b.jpg

I was at about 175 in the first pic, and am at 151 now. I've been has high as 190. Making sure to have at LEAST 1 cup of plain steamed, non-starch vegetables (I usually have two) with every meal, and cutting down drinking (I try to drink only on weekends, and drinking for me sucks because I routinely have 10-13 drinks when I go out) have been my keys. My exercise has consisted of lifting 3-5 times a week and cardio 0-2 times a week. Also, walking everywhere is huge. Any chance you get, for those of you trying to cut down, walk. A lot of getting trimmed down is common sense and discipline. I'd like to lose about five more pounds and I'll be happy. Good luck y'all!

^ Good stuff, man. I see legitimate progress. The thing I think you need to work on, judging from those pics, is maybe upgrading your iPhone.

Is doing 5x5 squats on 'leg day' a sufficient workout???

Also,
How can I increase my weighted pull ups??? As in, what is a strategical method?

Is there anything else I can do besides crunches to get more toned/visible abs?  I heard cardio really helps as well.  I can see my abs when I flex but other than that they're barely visible.

what does a basic routine look like when youre bulking and want to do a 3 day split? im afraid of doing too few reps where hypertrophy wont even occur.

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

what does a basic routine look like when youre bulking and want to do a 3 day split? im afraid of doing too few reps where hypertrophy wont even occur.
Depends what level you're on. If you're still working with linear progression(adding weight every workout or 2), then check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Simple but effective. If you're passed that, check out the Russian Bear routine from Pavel Tsatsouline's book, "Power to the People."

Brett, don't forget deadlifts. They don't have to be done on the same day. Front squats, zercher squats, split squats, single leg squats, jump squats, and other plyometrics(box jumps) are good too.

Oh, and about chiropractors. Definitely want to watch out when dealing with them. Some of them are first class scammers and some are genuinely great at what they do. You might want to ask around and find out who's the real deal and who to avoid. I can't testify for their effectiveness from first hand experience, but I shadowed one for a bit and know from what patients said that if they know what they're doing, it can be very beneficial.

any soccer players in here? i just joined a league whereas before i was only playing pick-up games. now that im getting more serious about my game i really want to work on endurance and other things that'll help on the pitch.

i feel like i've had to go back to the drawing board when i'm at the gym. Before i was only really working out for aesthetic reasons. Just to get bigger and look better...(which worked, since i started working out and bulking up i went from a mere 140 to around 165)

now that size isn't really a concern for my i feel that days in the gym where im working on upperbody could be spent doing more cardio. now, i know the importance of still working out my upperbody since sometimes on the pitch you do need to muscle up and at the end the stronger guy will gain the advantage...but i want to make sure im working out my lower body properly. i went from 4 sets of heavy weights doing like 10-12 reps to 4 sets of lighter weights doing 15-20 reps. (squats, db lungers, leg extensions, deadlifts, calf raises, etc)

is this how i should be working out if i want to work on endurance? Carlitos Tevez! help a brother out here my man, i know you're the resident soccer expert around here

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

I was at about 175 in the first pic, and am at 151 now. I've been has high as 190. Making sure to have at LEAST 1 cup of plain steamed, non-starch vegetables (I usually have two) with every meal, and cutting down drinking (I try to drink only on weekends, and drinking for me sucks because I routinely have 10-13 drinks when I go out) have been my keys. My exercise has consisted of lifting 3-5 times a week and cardio 0-2 times a week. Also, walking everywhere is huge. Any chance you get, for those of you trying to cut down, walk. A lot of getting trimmed down is common sense and discipline. I'd like to lose about five more pounds and I'll be happy. Good luck y'all!
Good progress man, keep it up.

I still haven't got into the mode of going back to the gym in a month and a half now.  My diet has been slacking as well but hopefully I can start back next week.  I'm at 153ish right now so I gotta gain back those 7 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom