STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I'm not taking a personal trainer who can't bench 135 seriously. :lol: I was doing that 2 weeks after I was in the gym at 120 pounds.

Last edited:
And I'm not saying I don't disagree but looking the part isn't everything. I mean Armold looks like a slob by today's measures but would anybody turn down advice if he gave it to them?
exactly  
laugh.gif

some of the worst sports broadcasters are they ex-players who think they know everything because they've done it, but they far away from reality. Harold Reynolds for example 
laugh.gif

Just because you've done something at a high level doesn't mean you can teach it. 

It all just really depends on what's being coached

If I'm playing a sport like basketball or whatever, you're usually getting a much older coach so they're likely not going to be in balling shape anymore. I'd listen to them if I know they had a nice playing career, or if I know they've had a good reputation as a coach ie. winning record, good word of mouth from other players, etc. etc.

For general training, you can get trainers of different ages. I'd listen to a fat coach if I know that at one point they were in good shape. It means they know how to apply what they teach.

Credentails can only get you so much
Caneen lie I used to be one of those guys who didn't listen to a another guy who tried to give advice if they didn't look the part. And while I still do in some way believe in the notion that right = results I do take more heed into taking in information even if they don't have the typical bodybuilder look.

It's also a reason I'll never talk down on a crossfitter either. A lot of those folks are in crazy good shape with the strength to back it up.

You don't have to be a world class athlete with 6% body fat to be a good personal trainer/coach, but you should at least practice what you preach. 

And I'm not saying I don't disagree but looking the part isn't everything. I mean Armold looks like a slob by today's measures but would anybody turn down advice if he gave it to them?

But Arnold was once in great shape. There's a difference between someone who is past his prime and someone who at any point could never have backed up what he teaches.

I'm not taking a personal trainer who can't bench 135 seriously. :lol: I was doing that 2 weeks after I was in the gym at 120 pounds.

Would your opinion changes if that person had credentials behind them?
well yeah of course. But people with credentials probably aren't dropping the bar on their chest. :lol:

I like to learn things from people who are good at them...

Can anyone recommend some unflavored Greek (or regular) yogurt that doesn't taste terrible if there is such a thing? I tried some plain dannon oikos Greek yogurt because the flavored yogurts were loaded with sugar and it was terrible. Tried putting fruit and granola in and it helped but I still couldn't finish it.

Can anyone recommend some unflavored Greek (or regular) yogurt that doesn't taste terrible if there is such a thing? I tried some plain dannon oikos Greek yogurt because the flavored yogurts were loaded with sugar and it was terrible. Tried putting fruit and granola in and it helped but I still couldn't finish it.
mix with protein powder. I go oikos or fage

Fage. It still taste like Greek yogurt but is by far the best plain option imo.

Last edited:
Theres a huge difference between a trainer and a coach. I have met a few trainers who have countless degrees but still think things like girls lifting heavy will make them bulky 
mean.gif
  Nothing beats hands on experience and on the fly learning, those things book will never teach you. 

Theres a lot of people in the powerlifting world that do not take advice from people that are weaker then them and I think thats a really ignorant way of thinking. There are tons of great coaches out there who aren't the strongest but know how to get people really strong and perform at their best on game day. 

Hiring a coach was one of the best things Ive ever done.

I don't really trust trainers at most gyms in general.

My boy's girlfriend got a job as a personal trainer at NYSC (I think it's NYSC). She's a physical therapy student and got some certifications. But chick don't work out. She's not fat but has a sloppy body. I've never seen her teach but idk if I would hire her as my trainer if I went to her gym.

I think people who hire these kinda trainers at most gyms have got to be newbies, so they don't know any better.

When I was going to LA Fitness, the trainers be on their phone or staring at the wall when their clients are 'working out' Just sad.

Last edited:
When I was going to LA Fitness, the trainers be on their phone or staring at the wall when their clients are 'working out' Just sad.

Don't even get me started on the LA Fitness "trainers". Sometimes I feel bad for the people who hire them. Id give them better pointers for free.

I mean most people get trainers due to wanting to have someone there to motivate them show them the basics.

As much as i hate to adnit. This really is the 5% life and ALOT of people dont understand or know anything about health in general. Or just dont care.

Honestly, I think most people get trainers cuz they don't know any better. I think even if a trainer knows what he doing, they'll half *** their job cuz they know they can get away with it.

I was gonna say, trainers are meant for a certain type of person. A couple YouTube vids and 10 minutes on google will give you most of what you need to know.

I don't really trust trainers at most gyms in general.

My boy's girlfriend got a job as a personal trainer at NYSC (I think it's NYSC). She's a physical therapy student and got some certifications. But chick don't work out. She's not fat but has a sloppy body. I've never seen her teach but idk if I would hire her as my trainer if I went to her gym.

I think people who hire these kinda trainers at most gyms have got to be newbies, so they don't know any better.

Man if one thing I learned is that kines majors/PT dont know **** about the body b. sure they can tell you all the muscles but they cant tell you what you gotta do to achieve your goal

Back
Top Bottom