STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

That list is horse****.

Hypers, front raises, and flyes are worthless? No :lol:

He uses people's bad form over the years as reason to why the exercise is bad. Really bro? No **** if you do it wrong it doesn't work the way it should. :rolleyes

Anyone here agree/disagree with this list? I do a few of those exercises and am kinda disappointed.

http://angrytrainerfitness.com/2010/10/top-10-most-worthless-exercises/

[h1]TOP 10: MOST WORTHLESS EXERCISES[/h1]

Here we go again with another Angry Trainer Top 10!

This time around we’re tackling EXERCISES – more specifically, exercises that I feel are a complete waste of your time.

Yes, all exercises are NOT created equal and while you think any form of exercise is useful, certain machines and movements seem to have been invented simply to prey on people’s desperation to get fit or fix their stubborn ‘trouble’ areas. These exercises mislead users into thinking they’re training specific areas when they’re not – and are pretty much a complete waste of time…

So here we go – in no particular order – my Top 10 Most Worthless Exercises Ever…

#1- The Inner/Outer Thigh Machine - Technically called hip abduction (move away) and adduction (bring together), this gynecological like “exercise” chair has made me feel uncomfortable just looking at it since my early training days. It supposedly targets women’s inner and outer thighs and it does, but minimally. A far better approach for strengthening, toning and training for knee stability is reverse lunges or step-ups.

#2- Chest Fly’s – There is no need to include this risky exercise that overdevelops your front shoulder in any routine. Most people have terrible form, and the machine variety is even more dangerous in my opinion because the weight travels in a fixed path, compromising shoulder integrity. Stick with free weight chest presses and pushups for a natural range of motion alternative.

#3- StairMaster – Maybe back in 1990 Stairmasters were in, but it’s time to step out on this dinosaur piece of equipment. It doesn’t even remotely resemble a natural step, which I believe can lead to some serious knee issues, especially when you hunch over the machine and bounce on it like most people do. If you want to walk stairs for fitness, find a building, a stadium, or even your own home and get to stepping.

#4- Dumbell Tricep Kickbacks – This one is famously marketed to ladies who want to rid excess fat and sagginess from the back of their arms. So do they work? The answer is “no”, you cannot spot reduce, unless you use a surgeon, and in fact this exercise can make your arms bigger by increasing the size of your triceps’ muscles. If you want thinner arms, go on a diet.

#5-Lying Leg Curl – This machine targets the hamstrings, the muscles on the back of the legs. Unfortunately it trains the muscle in a way that is not conducive to how it actually functions in your day to day life. How many people have you seen swinging their legs with butts up in the air? Try different variations of deadlifts for a more effective and functional hamstring workout.

#6- The Leg Press – You know this one, it’s a leg machine that’s either on an angle, flat, or in a vertical position where you press against a weighted pad. The main issue is it places a lot of stress on the low back, can lead to knee injury due to improper foot placement, and generally, as with all machines, is completely non functional. Tried and true squats, lunges, and step-ups are once again a much better choice.

#7-Back Hyper Extensions – This is “sold” as a lower back machine, but what it is in my opinion is a lower back breaker. I’ve cringed watching people for twenty years use it with terrible form, either swinging, bobbing, or going way too fast. So much in fact that I could almost hear the disks in their spine screaming. A more appropriate exercise would again be the ever-versatile deadlift.

#8-Seated Calf Presses – First of all, it does not work your calves, but the muscle that lies beneath called the soleus. I did it for years in my bodybuilding days and in my opinion it stretches out the fascia on the bottom of your feet possibly leading to foot problems later on. Each exercise you use should be beneficial towards your goals so unless you are in rehab for an injury, this one is pointless.

#9- All Abdominal Machines – The purpose of your abs is too pull your spine from a straight, or extended position into a curled or flexed position. All of these machines have the right idea, but use a fixed, unnatural path for movement and suggest using weights to “load” the abs. Over strengthening the abs can result in back pain, and a bulky abdomen. Planks, and V-Ups are much better alternatives.

#10- Dumbbell Front Shoulder Raise – This is worthless for one simple reason – the front shoulder gets enough work from assisting other larger muscle groups in multiple other exercises, so much in fact that it is a commonly over developed part of most trainee’s physiques. Skip the front raises and do a set of rear shoulder fly’s – that’s the area that is truly neglected and needs your attention.

But what do you think? Do you agree with my list above – and if not, why not? What other exercises would you add to the list… start those comments coming…
I do 7/10 of these exercises. The Stair Master useless???? *****. I get 2x as much of a workout on the stairmaster than I do the treds. I hate lists like this. It just discourages people

That list is so trash. Omg

Leg press being useless? Foh!

I hate **** like this because people who aren't heavy into working out will skip doing these workouts and half of the listed exercises are key workouts.

Who wrote that ****? Let's troll the hell out that person

I agree..its the same thing with those dudes who wear sweatpants and hoodies with the hood on..if i tried that id prolly have a stroke from over heating
nawww. now sweatshirts with the hood on is my ****. i loveeeee sweating and it keeps my body warmmmmm.

iLLest!
I sweat my butt off in a stringer tank and shorts let alone a long sleeve..if ur fat as hell and tryna lose weight asap i guess id understand otherwise i dont get it

I see alot of dudes who wear a long sleeve shirt until their warmed up then they take it off with a tank or vneck under..now thats understandable

Most of yall are missing the main point of that list. It is basically saying all those exercises use unnatural movements and there are better alternatives.

Last edited:
there are way more worse things you can do in the gym than most of the stuff on the list

Last edited:
Most of yall are missing the main point of that list. It is basically saying all those exercises use unnatural movements and there are better alternatives.

This

Even banging your head against a wall will give you a strong neck but just non smart to do or there are better options with less issues for our body.

Last edited:
I do 7/10 of these exercises. The Stair Master useless???? *****. I get 2x as much of a workout on the stairmaster than I do the treds. I hate lists like this. It just discourages people

Eggzacklee bro, the stairmaster is kickass cardio. And imo it mimics stair just fine. The list probably bashed flys because the hodgetwins bashed them smh. Leg press, seated calve raises, leg curls...mannnnn, who is this dude making this list? watch it be a skinny little baby nacho with a degree, but no real experience in the weight room to even make claims. That's what it always is...people with paperwork thinking they know more than people that actually live it. I can understand in the business world, I wish somebody would try and argue with me on this business tip after all the hours I've slaved for these degrees, but that's an intellectual battle, the game changes when things become physical. People that can't do something always want to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Well...I don't think worthless is the word they should've used because in some of their descriptions they mention things that would suggest it isn't optimal, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worthless.

Like flyes for example...It's pretty much just saying that most people who do it will compromise their form and it could lead to injury so it's probably best to stay away all together.

If you have good form though, it can be a very good range of motion exercise to help develop chest and shoulders.

Last edited:

I hate **** like this because people who aren't heavy into working out will skip doing these workouts and half of the listed exercises are key workouts.

People who substitute squats with leg presses say this...

I kind of agree with the list in that people should be focused on natural compound exercises and not machines where you can easily injure yourself.

Alfonso the author looks like he is in good shape to me.

Some on here do exercises that they just saw somebody else do. Working out requires you to understand the body and know the healthy motions that wont hurt yout joints and the spine. I think ill take his advice over NTers who are 18yrs old and been working out for only 3 years.

Last edited:

People who substitute squats with leg presses say this...

I kind of agree with the list in that people should be focused on natural compound exercises and not machines where you can easily injure yourself.

Pretty much agree with this.

The leg press doesn't really do much for me. I mean...Years ago, when I saw some toned chick (not built or freakish) do 3 plates, I told myself..Yep, anyone can do it. :lol: It's true though. 5 plates on each side for a leg press doesn't impress no one. The compound movements is where its at, which is why Squats are king.

Not trying to slight anyone or anything, but the leg press just doesn't optimize your workout.

I do leg press every leg workout. Of course its after squats. I feel like it works more if my tear drop on my quads. Of course you gotta fill those up with plates.

Leg curls and leg extensions are both extremely bad for you in terms of athletic performance.

Leg curls isolate the hamstring, and in no natural athletic movement is your hamstring ever isolated.

Leg extensions put a lot of bad stress on the knees.

Sure you can do these exercises without getting hurt and see gains, but there are much better alternatives.

And for y'all defending the leg press. If you don't squat too, I can't and won't take you serious unless you can't physically squat.

Dudes on the leg press crack me up. 10+ plates on there with no range of motion. Stand up and they are all looking big and bad. SMH

I do leg press every leg workout. Of course its after squats. I feel like it works more if my tear drop on my quads. Of course you gotta fill those up with plates.

Use to do it as a warm-up workout for a few sets, but I stopped that awhile ago.

Last edited:
screw all this "useless" workout crap, I say do what works for you. For example hodge twins dont do squats at all, they do leg press and leg extensions and curls, it works for them.

screw all this "useless" workout crap, I say do what works for you. For example hodge twins dont do squats at all, they do leg press and leg extensions and curls, it works for them.

You'll get gains doing those exercises, the point is they aren't the optimal options.

Do what y'all want, but I'll continue to do squats, lunges, step-ups, and regular and stiff legged dead lifts... and perform much better athletically than y'all doing leg presses, curls, and extensions lol

You'll get gains doing those exercises, the point is they aren't the optimal options.

Do what y'all want, but I'll continue to do squats, lunges, step-ups, and regular and stiff legged dead lifts... and perform much better athletically than y'all doing leg presses, curls, and extensions lol

lol athletically? son majority of cats work out to look good point blank. I think there needs to be something understood that everyone has different goals. Some people want to live a healthy lifestyle, thats nice an all. Some people like my self just want to look good and add to my Alphaness. Like when dudes preach about GMO foods and whats not healthy, in all reality thats nice and all but some of us really dont care. I`m sure I`m gonna catch heat but who cares, live your lives guys.

Yep. Optimization is the key here. And I don't know who the Hodge twins are, but I'm guessing they're bodybuilders? Bodybuilders do things a bit differently and if you're a bodybuilder then there's probably nothing wrong with doing any type of workout. I personally lift for strength and power and things more associated with athletes and that provide more function for day to day living as well.

Essentially...You can do leg presses, extensions curls, and all sorts of fun stuff all day long. I can accomplish more by doing my squats, cleans, deadlifts, and lunges (my actual routine) and get the same performance benefits by spending much less time in the gym. So yeah...Depends on your goals and purpose for lifting.

lol athletically? son majority of cats work out to look good point blank. I think there needs to be something understood that everyone has different goals. Some people want to live a healthy lifestyle, thats nice an all. Some people like my self just want to look good and add to my Alphaness. Like when dudes preach about GMO foods and whats not healthy, in all reality thats nice and all but some of us really dont care. I`m sure I`m gonna catch heat but who cares, live your lives guys.

Definitely true on each having their own respective goals. I would argue though, that those "athlete" workouts will still get you to look good. I know this from experience and look at pro athletes anyway. The point is, they can do a few compound workouts and call it good instead of isolating one or two muscles for each workout, which in turn would mean youd have to workout much longer. It isn't as efficient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom