STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Any new supps out there I should know about?

For the last 3 years I’ve been on

Pre workout: prekaged
Intraworkout: Intrablast
Carb powder: supercarb
Protein: ascend

Amazing results, but wondering if there’s more potent pre workouts out there.

Any new supps out there I should know about?

For the last 3 years I’ve been on

Pre workout: prekaged
Intraworkout: Intrablast
Carb powder: supercarb
Protein: ascend

Amazing results, but wondering if there’s more potent pre workouts out there.

Idk how you take pre kaged. That ish makes me want to puke.

But they got a more potent version if you didn't know

word? it doesn’t impact your sleep??

No, why would it?
1646788600135.png

No, why would it?
1646788600135.png

preworkouts typically have caffeine in them, and although it does make people super tired when it ‘wears’ off, regular caffeine use often both dulls the impact it has & also tends to make getting to sleep both more difficult & less deep i believe…

preworkouts typically have caffeine in them, and although it does make people super tired when it ‘wears’ off, regular caffeine use often both dulls the impact it has & also tends to make getting to sleep both more difficult & less deep i believe…

Plenty of folks drink coffee, tea, energy drinks, sodas during the day (or at night) and have no issues going to sleep, why would the caffeine from a pre plus a good workout be any different? :nerd:

Unless you're taking it right before bed, I wouldn't imagine it being an issue.

Pres also shouldn't make folks super tired when they wear off. :blush:

Plenty of folks drink coffee, tea, energy drinks, sodas during the day (or at night) and have no issues going to sleep, why would the caffeine from a pre plus a good workout be any different? :nerd:

Unless you're taking it right before bed, I wouldn't imagine it being an issue.

Pres also shouldn't make folks super tired when they wear off. :blush:

🤷🏿‍♂️🤔 so many people have a terrible relationship with all the aforementioned things, stuff with caffeine generally can greatly contribute to poor (or maybe more appropriate to say less good/not optimal) sleep…if people are consuming caffeine regularly, because of how long it stays active/how it works in the body it tends to cause some lethargy as its effect starts to taper off.

something about caffeine, while definitely useful, not as much technically giving energy as much as really just holding off the mechanism (such that this mechanism is actually just building up in the background the whole time the caffeine is in the body) that makes the body tired, which in turn leads some to just consume more caffeine; i forget the specifics but #doyourgoogles and the info/studies are there, it’s interesting stuff

i get the appeal of taking a preworkout (referring specifically to those containing caffeine) every so often for that extra boost when needed but it just seems like it would be, if used regularly, counterproductive for optimal recovery and have diminishing returns as the body builds tolerance

obviously caffeine is useful (there are theories, maybe apocryphal/untrue, that it basically fueled things light the enlightenment, great renaissance, & the scientific revolution being that before the widespread use of coffee & tea, people were basically lightweight drunk all the time because water wasn’t the best thing to drink them back in them days) but it has its trade offs…

arguably the longer a workout session is, the less a preworkout should be necessary (ideally food would be the source(s) of these things, even if one likes to be ‘fasted’ during training—which is another interesting topic)…the only real proven true supplement that, generally, everyone probably should be taking daily is creatine (the timing of which is irrelevant if taken consistently), of course everyone reacts differently so it makes sense to figure out what works for the individual but i would think consistently using a preworkout is just not as useful as investigating why one would even need to use preworkout (so often)

also, not saying there aren’t other things in preworkouts that might be beneficial

obviously caffeine is useful (there are theories, maybe apocryphal/untrue, that it basically fueled things light the enlightenment, great renaissance, & the scientific revolution being that before the widespread use of coffee & tea, people were basically lightweight drunk all the time because water wasn’t the best thing to drink them back in them days) but it has its trade offs…

arguably the longer a workout session is, the less a preworkout should be necessary (ideally food would be the source(s) of these things, even if one likes to be ‘fasted’ during training—which is another interesting topic)…the only real proven true supplement that, generally, everyone probably should be taking daily is creatine (the timing of which is irrelevant if taken consistently), of course everyone reacts differently so it makes sense to figure out what works for the individual but i would think consistently using a preworkout is just not as useful as investigating why one would even need to use preworkout (so often)

also, not saying there aren’t other things in preworkouts that might be beneficial
I'm an all natural, no supplement guy to start with. but that was when I was still in my 30s. I noticed that it has become more of a challenge as I aged and reached my 40s. it's just nature that you don't have that kind of energy as when you were younger. right now, I'm into creatine as it is one of the safest and most all-natural kind of supplement. the testosterone booster is another thing which I clearly need since my level has started dropping close to 40.

as of this year, I started late of my targeted new year goal of getting back in shape. rather than start in January, I started February with a lot of lapses due to scheduling conflicts. I passed my loading phase and now on maintenance for another month before my cycle ends. I'm now on my 1st week of continuous workout regimen. so far my body has gradually been adapting.

my concoction for my pre-workout is eating a light meal atleast 400 macros with my testosterone booster, and brewed coffee mixed with chocolate mousse, brown sugar and creatine. I don't take any PWO supplements without food as I don't want to mess up my liver.

Last edited:
I drink coffee and got some bcaa with caffeine in them. Not pwo level though. Only reason I drink them is my wife buys them. If it was just me I’d just skip it and drink coffee and be fine.

I would drink pwo when I did manual labor all day for 10 hours and wanted to hit the gym after though.

I'm an all natural, no supplement guy to start with. but that was when I was still in my 30s. I noticed that it has become more of a challenge as I aged and reached my 40s. it's just nature that you don't have that kind of energy as when you where younger. right now, I'm into creatine as it is one of the safest and most all-natural kind of supplement. the testosterone booster is another thing which I clearly need since my level has started dropping close to 40.

as of this year, I started late of my targeted new year goal of getting back in shape. rather than start in January, I started February with a lot of lapses due to scheduling conflicts. I passed my loading phase and now on maintenance for another month before my cycle ends. I'm now on my 1st week of continuous workout regimen. so far my body has gradually been adapting.

my concoction for my pre-workout is eating a light meal atleast 400 macros with my testosterone booster, and brewed coffee mixed with chocolate mousse, brown sugar and creatine. I don't take any PWO supplements without food as I don't want to mess up my liver.

yea, it definitely gets more difficult with age as well as the wear & tear of time…and avoiding injury & getting recovery becomes even more important because it is a bigger setback as it is easier to get injured & harder/takes longer to recover! our metabolism doesn’t really seem to slow down as much as most people would think (the research says it pretty much stays stable well into folks 60s) more so our bodies tend to adapt to whatever stimulus we give it consistently (just so happens, most people just tend to get less active as they get older while eating either the same or worse) so age isn’t quite the impediment to activity/fitness people tend to think it is…

ultimately it is about the goal, maybe if one is like a legit bodybuilder or trying to get huuuge maybe there is an argument for preworkout and the trade offs being tolerable due to the constant stress put on the body interfering with one’s ability to actually train consistently. even then unless there was a strict deadline, the slow grind is still probably better in the long run; there will undoubtedly be bad & good days, days where just getting any activity will feel like a win, and days where it feels like more could be done, consistency is the key tho.

regularly needing caffeine/coffee, preworkout, or stimulants to perform should be a 🚩🚩🚩 to ask why? is everything thing else locked in (diet, fitness, health, sleep, training frequency, intensity, & regimen)? preworkout just kinda seems like a bad bandage for other things causing poor energy 🤷🏿‍♂️

I drink coffee and got some bcaa with caffeine in them. Not pwo level though. Only reason I drink them is my wife buys them. If it was just me I’d just skip it and drink coffee and be fine.

I would drink pwo when I did manual labor all day for 10 hours and wanted to hit the gym after though.

i remember reading something along the lines that as long as people hit their protein number bcaas are kinda ineffective/irrelevant as is the case with most supplements…as person who never had any interest in diet, fitness, & supplements up until basically a few years ago; i have found learning about all this stuff super interesting & eye opening

Has anyone tried it? Im a sucker for elite/pro/high-performance marketing lol

Every little small bit of improvement is worth it to me at this point.

Also I only take half a scoop or so of prekaged I just need a little bit to switch gears into training mode.

I remember drinking Redline at the gym at 6am after opening the gym I worked at after going out alll night on the weekends and that stuff worked frfrfr

🤷🏿‍♂️🤔 so many people have a terrible relationship with all the aforementioned things, stuff with caffeine generally can greatly contribute to poor (or maybe more appropriate to say less good/not optimal) sleep…if people are consuming caffeine regularly, because of how long it stays active/how it works in the body it tends to cause some lethargy as its effect starts to taper off.

something about caffeine, while definitely useful, not as much technically giving energy as much as really just holding off the mechanism (such that this mechanism is actually just building up in the background the whole time the caffeine is in the body) that makes the body tired, which in turn leads some to just consume more caffeine; i forget the specifics but #doyourgoogles and the info/studies are there, it’s interesting stuff

i get the appeal of taking a preworkout (referring specifically to those containing caffeine) every so often for that extra boost when needed but it just seems like it would be, if used regularly, counterproductive for optimal recovery and have diminishing returns as the body builds tolerance

Cool, to each his own.
1646880393572.png

Y’all boys wild taking +300-400 miggies of caffeine and who knows what else for the pump. :lol:

I don't take PWO for "the pump" or even train for that.
1646880525335.png

I guess you need that much when you in the gym for 4hrs

Correct.

You should take a scoop or two and stay for more than 90 minutes. You might like it.
1646880692442.png

Back
Top Bottom