STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Man injuries really messing up my routine.
Strained my quad at my soccer game sunday....skipped legs monday....thats my favorite day too.

My mom is a personal trainer and she always told me I should be able to bench my wieght and squat double my weight. Anyone else know this to be true.

I am almost there :lol:
6 foot 175lbs....i haven't benched to fail in forever but i can 5 rep 160lbs. So thinking i could almost get 170 or 175 at least once.
I squat 250 normally for my "working sets". 7-8 reps 2 sets....guess I am going to need to try way harder on that one lol

You should be able to do more than that if you weight lift on the regular. No brag but at my peak, I could do sets (10-12 reps) of 225 lbs (so max around 250) while weighing in at 163 lbs. So Id say benching ur own weight should be like the standard benchmark for a compete set. As far as squatting, i think it can be even greater than 2:1 because ur legs are a lot stronger than your upper body and legs are the easiest to train imo.

Yeah she would always tell me it was basically normal to be able to do that. Which now makes me feel weak as hell lol. But I run a lot for soccer so its hard to keep any weight on for me. Pre soccer season i was up to 180 walking around weight. but now a days i walk around at 174 and after 90mins of soccer i am around 168. Drop anywhere from 4-9lbs each game. I know i can probably squat more because i leg press 360 (2 sets of 10). Then do two sets at 450 of 5 reps each. But my main concern for now is cardio level.

Last edited:
quick question? eating a small bowl 1 1/2 cup of bran cereal with low fat milk and a fruit (apple,banana) and a six inch sub and a green tea top off with a granola bar (naturals the green package one) is this healthy ive been eating like this for about a month and a half and i lost weight plus a run on treadmill everyday 7.5 speed for 4miles and i lift. people even tell me i lost wieght but now my head looks huge so im trying to get muscle. AM I EATING RIGHT....
what is your weight and height?

Almost everything exercise related is relative, so the idea that youre lacking, weak,etc. because you cant bench press your weight or squat 2x your weight isnt fair.

I AGREE W DURDEN.

ALTHOUGH I GET SO PISSED DAT MY BACK AND BICEPS AINT AS STRONG AS MY CHEST AND TRICEPS

DAT PULL UP STRUGGLE. HELP PLEASE?

AND PS I LOVE LEG DAYS. LITTLE THINGS MAKE ME HAPPY: WHEN OTHER DEDICATED GYM GOERS DAP ME UP BECAUSE THEY SEE ME PRESSING 720LB AND ABOVE.

IVE GOT ALONG WAY BEFORE I ACHIEVE MY IDEAL BODY

BUT GOD I LOVE THE TRAINING LIFESTYLE.

I FEEL LIKE A CRACK FIEND IN WITHDRAWAL WHEN I CANT TRAIN!!!

I LUV U GAIS

I AGREE W DURDEN.
ALTHOUGH I GET SO PISSED DAT MY BACK AND BICEPS AINT AS STRONG AS MY CHEST AND TRICEPS
DAT PULL UP STRUGGLE. HELP PLEASE?
AND PS I LOVE LEG DAYS. LITTLE THINGS MAKE ME HAPPY: WHEN OTHER DEDICATED GYM GOERS DAP ME UP BECAUSE THEY SEE ME PRESSING 720LB AND ABOVE.
IVE GOT ALONG WAY BEFORE I ACHIEVE MY IDEAL BODY
BUT GOD I LOVE THE TRAINING LIFESTYLE.
I FEEL LIKE A CRACK FIEND IN WITHDRAWAL WHEN I CANT TRAIN!!!
I LUV U GAIS
 Woah.

Um yeah, with the Pull Ups, I would do Lat Pulls. Work down the rack for a few times a week for a 2-3 weeks. Then start doing pullups. I used to not be able to do any Pullups but not I can rep with weights no problem. They've quickly become my favorite exercise. Dat Bruce Wayne back
nthat.gif

Yea, I do well w lat pulldowns, close grip and wide grip.

I can do CG pullups fairly well.

I suck at WG pullup. can crank out 3 at best.

Ive yet to attempt front grip pullup

Man injuries really messing up my routine.
Strained my quad at my soccer game sunday....skipped legs monday....thats my favorite day too.
My mom is a personal trainer and she always told me I should be able to bench my wieght and squat double my weight. Anyone else know this to be true.
I am almost there :lol:
6 foot 175lbs....i haven't benched to fail in forever but i can 5 rep 160lbs. So thinking i could almost get 170 or 175 at least once.
I squat 250 normally for my "working sets". 7-8 reps 2 sets....guess I am going to need to try way harder on that one lol

Your mom is hardcore. I weight 180lbs at 5'9.5 and there is no way in hell I'm squatting 360lbs. The highest I've done is 5x5 315lbs. I did that for a month (last month) and I see no point in me going that heavy. I now do 225lbs nice controlled and quick reps and I get the same burn. I also bench 220lbs as of right now (goal is 225lbs) but who cares about that. 8)

How many sets do you warm up my man?

2 sets seems low w/ those reps, esp if the weights are low-moderate.

I am assuming this is in reference to leg press. I will do 1 set of 15reps at 270lbs. Then two sets of 10-12reps at 360lb. Then do 2 sets at 450 usually 5-8 reps in that range.
Squats are usually around the same. First set at 135 about 15 reps. Then one set of 10 at 185. One set of 10 at 205. Then go for working sets 5 reps at 245...then add weight as i can....in small increments :lol:

It's funny because my dad was a body builder and my mom was/is a personal trainer so my whole life has been "you should be able to do more". My dad is 55 years old and talking to me about "Oh i went light today only dead lifted 315". Once soccer season ends i think i am going to try to put on some weight and try to at least get to squatting over 300...no way i get to 360. I would love to be able to some what comfortably bench 180lb but not too concerned about bench. Would rather be able to out dead-lift my old man

Last edited:
Oh aaight.

I was bout to say 2 sets thats it?

Ive done two working sets in the past in bench press and leg press

but with like 3-4 warm up sets.

can u post some soccer training routines if u get the chance????

Despite following more of a bodybuilder type routine mixed w crossfit workouts.

I am jelly of soccer and swimmer aesthetics

Yea, I do well w lat pulldowns, close grip and wide grip.
I can do CG pullups fairly well.
I suck at WG pullup. can crank out 3 at best.
Ive yet to attempt front grip pullup
 Also do other back exercises as well. Gotta build up the muscles that the pullup utilizes my man. Pullups are by far the best body weight exercises. Once you get good at em, you'll notice your strength really increase. Keep at it bro! We're all here to motivate each other

Repped and thank u sir.

I got shoulders today and am training for the second night in a row at the SHU gym.

Ive been slacking on waking up at 4am :smh:

Trying to start a set workout plan for the days I do uppers. I wanna get bigger but not huge like I'm trying to be a bodybuilder, anyone have any tips or a workout that you could PM me, that'll basically help me get my shump on. Appreciate any help.

Trying to start a set workout plan for the days I do uppers. I wanna get bigger but not huge like I'm trying to be a bodybuilder, anyone have any tips or a workout that you could PM me, that'll basically help me get my shump on. Appreciate any help.

:lol:

I hate when people say this...

laugh.gif

I hate when people say this...
roll.gif
...forgive the man.

I believe what RoOk is trying to say is, YOU WILL NOT GET BIG LIKE A BODY BUILDER.  Go to the gym, eat right, and you'll add mass.  If you want to look like a body builder...take steroids.

Anybody have any advice on cutting run time on lets say a 1.5 mile run?

My current time is about 12:15 ish.. I have a PT test coming up and am trying to run a steady 11:30 or so

:rofl: ...forgive the man.

I believe what RoOk is trying to say is, YOU WILL NOT GET BIG LIKE A BODY BUILDER.  Go to the gym, eat right, and you'll add mass.  If you want to look like a body builder...take steroids.
quote]
Appreciate it. And i didn't mean bodybuilder per se. But I want to have lean muscles such as biceps opposed to ish like this ....

Last edited:
How do i get my arms nicely shaped/cut? Everytime i look in mirror they are looking more bloated no matter how hard i am working out.. Do i have to do more sets and more reps??

Last edited:
i personally wouldn't do crossfit because they seem to emphasize more on speed/times than proper form...and cause they charge $100/mo
sick.gif
I did a two week trial at a gym and that noise was too expensive. What I do now is use the workouts from crossfitfootball.com and crossfitendurance.com at my school's gym and track. 
Cross fit looks dangerous as hell to be honest.
From what i've seen they could give a **** about proper form.
I used to train tabata style but i've since stopped and become way more minimalistic
Deads, Squats, Bench, Pull Ups, Calf Raises.
It can be if your form isn't proper, but I spend ALOT of time on warmup, stretching and form before I start the actual lifts and workouts.  I've never gotten injured from the lifts, but running injuries seem to always find me. 
I do a little bit of both, CrossFit is a great motivator if you do it as a group. The competetive juices start flowing, and you can power through a lot of workouts with that type of motivation.
Very cardio heavy, your cardio will improve immensely. It's a good change of pace as well.
Still do traditional, "bodybuilding" workouts as well.
Using the websites, that's what I realized it is. Starting off with old school body building or plyometrics, then top it off with some sort of conditioning, with or without weights, usually a ton of body weight movements and intervals thrown in. I've seen a lot of of improvement like this. My max bench is up to 275-280, squats are up to the 360 range and my mile time is under 6 minutes. I'm 5'10, 185. I just wish I could drop some body fat tho.

Back
Top Bottom