STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

phil heath is that dude. real cool guy. we've chopped it up a few times. big as all hell too.

I HATE when I see people do behind the neck pullups/pulldowns/presses. Just shows a total lack of understanding.

thats a great exercise if done correctly, the issue is alot of people dont do them correctly. you can avoid many injuries with the proper technique. Is it a necessary exercise? well, sure there's numerous others that can be done for it, but it's certainly not a bad exercise, if performed accurately.

Great exercise for what??

but slow low intensity cardio is better than high intensity cardio. arguably. high intensity burns calories from carbs, low intensity burns calories from fat and also lowers the chance of cortisol synthesis. running just makes you been faster, but as far as muscle retention, slow, low intensity is A+. arguably.

I would argue against basically all of this too. For LSD exercise to be effective, it has to be of a long duration. 30 minutes isnt long enough.

^QFT Aint no way walking on a treadmill is better than running, the whole point for me in running is getting my heart rate up and speeding up my metabolism, i dont see just casual walking doing that.

But for boydbuilders Ronnie is one of the GOAT in my opinion, but right now Phil Heath is my favorite

Last edited:
I HATE when I see people do behind the neck pullups/pulldowns/presses. Just shows a total lack of understanding.

thats a great exercise if done correctly, the issue is alot of people dont do them correctly. you can avoid many injuries with the proper technique. Is it a necessary exercise? well, sure there's numerous others that can be done for it, but it's certainly not a bad exercise, if performed accurately.

but slow low intensity cardio is better than high intensity cardio. arguably. high intensity burns calories from carbs, low intensity burns calories from fat and also lowers the chance of cortisol synthesis. running just makes you been faster, but as far as muscle retention, slow, low intensity is A+. arguably.

I would argue against basically all of this too. For LSD exercise to be effective, it has to be of a long duration. 30 minutes isnt long enough.

behind head should presses work every head of the delts. plus some traps and upper back. usually using less weight, allows for greater concentration and better mind/muscle connection. done on the smith machine for more safety.

as far as pull down hebind the head, well, that's subjective. it's based on each trainers natural flexibility. that threshold is different for everyone. you are at greater risk of tearing/injurying the rotator cuff in this position, but as with all thing, with patience and the right technique, you can avoid most, if not all, self inflicted gym injuries.

and yea, like i said, it's arguable. i'm not arguing with you, i agree with you. cardio works differently for different people. slow light intensity is all i need, my metabolism is like a race horse., but for others, HIT may benefit them very well. you can go higher as long as you stay out of that cardio zone, and stay in the fat burning zone of heart beats. my whole point of cardio is to burn fat with out losing any muscle mass. too much cardio, or too intensive becomes a workout all its own.

Last edited:
My favorite right now is Zack Khan, dude has a cool personality. if your looking for motivation check out his road to recovery vids on youtube.

^Have you seen his workout where he had his face painted like the joker? **** was mad 
roll.gif

And Freeze I agree cardio can go both ways, im using it now mainly for my cut and help in basketball but once i start bulking ill cut it way down 

^It all depends what kind of running your going to do and how your foot/arch shape is but i use Brooks and my dad runs marathons with them also so i would try those out, they have some called the Ghost that are 
pimp.gif

Last edited:

behind head should presses work every head of the delts. plus some traps and upper back. usually using less weight, allows for greater concentration and better mind/muscle connection. done on the smith machine for more safety.

as far as pull down hebind the head, well, that's subjective. it's based on each trainers natural flexibility. that threshold is different for everyone. you are at greater risk of tearing/injurying the rotator cuff in this position, but as with all thing, with patience and the right technique, you can avoid most, if not all, self inflicted gym injuries.

and yea, like i said, it's arguable. i'm not arguing with you, i agree with you. cardio works differently for different people. slow light intensity is all i need, my metabolism is like a race horse., but for others, HIT may benefit them very well. you can go higher as long as you stay out of that cardio zone, and stay in the fat burning zone of heart beats. my whole point of cardio is to burn fat with out losing any muscle mass. too much cardio, or too intensive becomes a workout all its own.

The greater mind/muscle connection thing is a great example of "broscience". Just because you're using a reduced weight and are at a much greater risk of injury doesn't mean there's an increased neuromuscular bond. In fact, I believe its the exact opposite. Increasing the weight is a better way to train the neuromuscular system.

If you're at a much greater risk of injuring something, yet performing the exercise has no actual benefit then why do it at all? Its not a motion that occurs in everyday activities, any sporting situation, and puts the body in an incredibly disadvantageous position. "the right technique" is something that's said often, but its a massive assumption. I dont think anyone knows the "right technique" for a behind the neck pulldown.

These "zones" have roots in physiology, but, like most things exercise related, are taken way out of context and are misleading. You said you were doing an arm day, followed by walking to limit muscle mass loss. So, running on a treadmill will use up muscle mass in your arms?

The greater mind/muscle connection thing is a great example of "broscience". Just because you're using a reduced weight and are at a much greater risk of injury doesn't mean there's an increased neuromuscular bond. In fact, I believe its the exact opposite. Increasing the weight is a better way to train the neuromuscular system.

If you're at a much greater risk of injuring something, yet performing the exercise has no actual benefit then why do it at all? Its not a motion that occurs in everyday activities, any sporting situation, and puts the body in an incredibly disadvantageous position. "the right technique" is something that's said often, but its a massive assumption. I dont think anyone knows the "right technique" for a behind the neck pulldown.

These "zones" have roots in physiology, but, like most things exercise related, are taken way out of context and are misleading. You said you were doing an arm day, followed by walking to limit muscle mass loss. So, running on a treadmill will use up muscle mass in your arms?

lowering the weight allows you to perfect your form. thats not broscience, that's fact, in all of these exercises. once you get your form down, then you increase the weight. Not to mention when you lower the weight, you can focus more on the feel of the muscle being worked over what you look like doing the movements. you say it's a bad exercise, fine, don't perfume it, nbd. i rarely do it myself, don't feel it's necessary, but that doesn't mean i think its bad, there's just many better alternatives with less risk.

my arm day had nothing to do with the walking on the treadmill, as i do light cardio every work day, sans maybe leg day. So they aren't connected. Running on a treadmill will use muscle mass overall. You can't spot reduce which muscle or fat to burn.

Is the old, drink a couple raw eggs in the morning habit, yolk and all bad for you, or is it a myth? Still working on getting my weight up from 210 lbs but sometimes I'm just not feeling breakfast. It's the worst meal of the day, and I'm tired of cooking eggs (all styles). I do have whey protein upon waking up, but ive been skipping breakfast lately and going straight to lunch. What to do? I was once a dedicated bulkier, been slacking though.

you know i had the same issue and i ignored it.

a few months later i tore my labrum

so be careful.
Good looks, Club. Appreciate the warning. I'm honestly worried about that possibility. Admittedly I have a personality that gets restless and a feeling of un-productiveness/idleness when I rest for substantial periods, even when it's the smart choice like in this case.

Anyone know of any good beginner's boxing or MMA gyms in the North Jersey area? Would like to purse as an active hobby.

lowering the weight allows you to perfect your form. thats not broscience, that's fact, in all of these exercises. once you get your form down, then you increase the weight. Not to mention when you lower the weight, you can focus more on the feel of the muscle being worked over what you look like doing the movements. you say it's a bad exercise, fine, don't perfume it, nbd. i rarely do it myself, don't feel it's necessary, but that doesn't mean i think its bad, there's just many better alternatives with less risk.

my arm day had nothing to do with the walking on the treadmill, as i do light cardio every work day, sans maybe leg day. So they aren't connected. Running on a treadmill will use muscle mass overall. You can't spot reduce which muscle or fat to burn.

I wasnt saying that perfecting your form is broscience. Whats made up is the idea that reduced weight increases a mind-muscle connection. Just because youre focusing on form doesnt mean theres a better mind-muscle connection.

So if there are better alternatives with less risk, why do it at all? Theres honestly no reason someone should ever perfom a behind the head exercise.

BTW, Running on a treadmill does not "use" muscle mass. Running on a treadmill for 30 minutes after RT will not "use up" your muscle mass. Thats not how the body works.

Last edited:
I know that an occasional rest day is needed to recover, but why the **** do I feel so guilty when I have one? :smh:
I killed myself for the last 4 days in the gym, weights and cardio. Tonight I decided to chill and stay in, let my body recover.

I've been anxious the whole damn night, I cant even focus on relaxing and enjoying my friday night. Been tryin to FIFA in peace, watch a movie, or just chill but the whole time I feel guilty for not going to the gym. I keep reconsidering, but then telling myself to sit the **** down. I know I shouldn't overwork..but damn.

I keep thinking someone out there is busting his *** killing calories and getting stronger, and i'm sitting here like a wimp using a 'rest day' as an excuse. |I

Does anyone feel me on this? Am i crazy? Someone make me feel better. :lol:

You ain't crazy g, I've felt the same way on multiple occasions :lol:
You just gotta let yourself off the hook, like you said you've been going hard, making gains, rest is necessary.
Last thing you wanna do is over-train, get injured and lose your hard work for being too anxious.
Some other dude may be in the gym right now but ain't got **** to do with you, yall are both on your own journey
I'm sure he'll be resting when your back.

You ain't crazy g, I've felt the same way on multiple occasions :lol:
You just gotta let yourself off the hook, like you said you've been going hard, making gains, rest is necessary.
Last thing you wanna do is over-train, get injured and lose your hard work for being too anxious.
Some other dude may be in the gym right now but ain't got **** to do with you, yall are both on your own journey
I'm sure he'll be resting when your back.

Thanks bro you're right. :lol:

Repped for calming me down. :nthat:

I'm 5'9"-5'10" and I finally cracked 170lbs a week or two ago. I'm currently at 173. Going to get up to a steady 180lbs and then cutting back down to around ~170lbs. Can't wait to shed this gut I've developed during this bulk 
laugh.gif

Is the old, drink a couple raw eggs in the morning habit, yolk and all bad for you, or is it a myth? Still working on getting my weight up from 210 lbs but sometimes I'm just not feeling breakfast. It's the worst meal of the day, and I'm tired of cooking eggs (all styles). I do have whey protein upon waking up, but ive been skipping breakfast lately and going straight to lunch. What to do? I was once a dedicated bulkier, been slacking though.

I don't do breakfast, if it matters.

Then again i'm doing IF

AceMaster, if you're getting tired of the eggs, stick to the grains and carbs. Have any of these combos with a piece of fruit and a protein shake. Or you can just make a smoothie

-English muffin/multigrain toast/etc with peanut butter

-Oatmeal

-Granola w/ milk

^^ LOVE that commercial! :lol:

I'm sure i'm not the only one, but I feel guilty as **** when eating out. :smh: :smh: Even though I know I didn't eat bad as a whole for X day, I can't help that feel. :smh:

but when you guys eat out, you know you dont have to eat bad stuff right?. just pay attention to the menu and what makes sense. if all else fails, like say you go to an italian restaurant, then just limit your portion, say 'this is how much I'm going to eat, and I'll bag up the rest'.

I know that an occasional rest day is needed to recover, but why the **** do I feel so guilty when I have one? :smh:
I killed myself for the last 4 days in the gym, weights and cardio. Tonight I decided to chill and stay in, let my body recover.
I've been anxious the whole damn night, I cant even focus on relaxing and enjoying my friday night. Been tryin to FIFA in peace, watch a movie, or just chill but the whole time I feel guilty for not going to the gym. I keep reconsidering, but then telling myself to sit the **** down. I know I shouldn't overwork..but damn.
I keep thinking someone out there is busting his *** killing calories and getting stronger, and i'm sitting here like a wimp using a 'rest day' as an excuse. |I
Does anyone feel me on this? Am i crazy? Someone make me feel better. :lol:

BETCHA FEEL A LITTLE DIRTY DONT CHA!

that feel is known

Back
Top Bottom