STEEL CITY (Pittsburgh) NT'ers STAND UP!!!

Do yall actually keep up w/ things going on in the city and surrounding boroughs? I'd like to discuss stuff w/ yall as opposed to w/ nuts in the comments sections or FB :lol: A lot of changes happening in Pittsburgh.
depends what's up??

Just things changing in the city, the gentrification of East Liberty, closing of the Wilkinsburg schools, lack of job growth, etc. Seems to be a lot going on right now and it's hard to grasp it and see who benefits and who is hurt but the changes.

Just things changing in the city, the gentrification of East Liberty, closing of the Wilkinsburg schools, lack of job growth, etc. Seems to be a lot going on right now and it's hard to grasp it and see who benefits and who is hurt but the changes.
gentrification is def real in pgh. Boaz was on hot97 last yr talkn about it heavy. Def pushn poor out of city an the money back in. I work for PLCB. A couple bars are going back up in Wilkinsburgh. Rumor has it a liqour store will be in wilkindburg soon also. Prob 2-3yrs

Man, Wilkinsburg can't sustain its decline much longer. They gon have about 3 schools open by next year, property taxes aren't much and they have no main businesses there to receive taxes from. That's how it usually happens for small towns/cities/boroughs. If the population were bringing in higher income then it could rebuild but at this point, I don't see it happening.

Now they shut down the schools and spread em out among the neighboring districts then that hurts those districts. Wilkinsburg School District ranked like 394th/396th in the state last year. We all know how the government ties student test performance to funding.

As far as East Liberty goes, the people there costed for years and now they're at the mercy of those trying to make money. My take is that you can't get mad at somebody trying to make money on property they own. Those that are older, and children, I empathize w/ them. However, those that are our age who aren't doing anything for themselves have themselves to blame.

After Downtown is rebuilt, they're going to start pushing Uptown and the Lower Hill District imo.

Last edited:
Target told ppl they would hire locally (Garfield,east lib, homewood). Which they did. But after 3mths fired 80% of dem. Store got lighter real fast

:smh: real f'd up. Never even knew that. I need to start getting more involved w/ talking to the youth. I'm attending one of two meetings for the My Brother's Keeper initiative next week. Hopefully the first of many events and forums I attend of that nature.

:smh: real f'd up. Never even knew that. I need to start getting more involved w/ talking to the youth. I'm attending one of two meetings for the My Brother's Keeper initiative next week. Hopefully the first of many events and forums I attend of that nature.

Crazy to see how everything is happening on the East Side. I grew up in Highland Park and went to Peabody High School. I didn't grow up with much but my classmates at Peabody had much much less. Used to hit Ventos, Davids, Sneaker Villa, Ace and other spots after school... most of those spots are still there but crazy to see how the area has changed around them. After Home Depot came in in like 99 and then whole foods early 2000s you could tell the area was gonna become more shadyside-ish. Then when target moved in it was over. Now you see white couples walking their dogs in larimer and people biking thru garfield.

From 08-12 i served in AmeriCorps at the Braddock Youth Project mentoring kids - I was just a city kid my whole life so I didn't learn about gentrification until i started to talk to the other mostly affluent people i worked with. Im kinda conflicted bc east lib was mostly run down my whole life but I def know the problems that come with gentrification. At the same east lib was getting taken over, penn ave in bloomfield/garfield started to get a bunch of art gallery types spot coming down toward east lib. Just so different than when I grew up.

Im really glad that we have a shop in garfield/friendship bc its in the same area code that I grew up in and lived my whole life. Im cool with the dudes at the coffee shop across the street, the glass center and restaurants in the area so nothing against them but we are the only business that i know of in the area that is partially minority owned or owned by anyone thats actually from the area. Always down to talk about whats going on in the city.

hockey stadium was the same way. I got hired at target an stadium when first built. Stadium hired 60-70% ppl from the hill for consol. Most of em didn't make it past 1st month. I quit during orientations. My homie been there for 10yrs

Last edited:

Last edited:
the homie mac miller did an in-store appearance/signing at the shop the other day, had a great time. The kids love mac lol waited in line for hours to grab some clothes and take a pic.

Hope everyone is doing well lately. It's definitely a shame when these corporations/stores come in and  say they're going to hire locals and then lay them off shortly after hiring them. Also, that's dope that Mac stopped by Refresh, it's great to see all the events you guys do with the community (makes me kinda jealous I'm not in the area anymore)

Anyway, I'll be back in Pittsburgh in a week or 2 for Pitts homecoming. Unlike the past 4 years where I basically survived on fast food, Chipotle, dorm dining plans, etc.; does anyone have suggestions for decent local restaurants to eat (besides Stack'd and Shadygrove) since I'll have access to a car for once.

Also, anyone know if Social has Mowabbs still? I'm not sure if I want to pay the close to $200 they are after tax here and that $180 looks a lot better/they have some sort of student ID discount now I heard.

Thanks guys and once again, hope everyone is doing well!

UNDS my Baron 1's a few days ago here on the island. Anybody selling SBB 1's size 10?? VNDS-DS is fine, LMK

friends make fun of me cause I have all Nike an stance socks. Lol. Most with loud colors

Last edited:
Hope everyone is doing well lately. It's definitely a shame when these corporations/stores come in and  say they're going to hire locals and then lay them off shortly after hiring them. Also, that's dope that Mac stopped by Refresh, it's great to see all the events you guys do with the community (makes me kinda jealous I'm not in the area anymore)

Anyway, I'll be back in Pittsburgh in a week or 2 for Pitts homecoming. Unlike the past 4 years where I basically survived on fast food, Chipotle, dorm dining plans, etc.; does anyone have suggestions for decent local restaurants to eat (besides Stack'd and Shadygrove) since I'll have access to a car for once.
Also, anyone know if Social has Mowabbs still? I'm not sure if I want to pay the close to $200 they are after tax here and that $180 looks a lot better/they have some sort of student ID discount now I heard.

Thanks guys and once again, hope everyone is doing well!

Damn shame that I'm a PITT alum and never been to homecoming, I'm usually working.

But I'd say hit up Burgatory, BRGR, Fuel 'N Fuddle. FNF is clutch after 11p since everything aside from steak and seafood is 1/2 price, probably will be packed though just a lil heads up.

Speaking of PITT, I need to come some more block lettering PITT gear before they switch to the script full-time.

yea @Dathbgboy  

Fuel switched owners recently and the half priced options aren't as good. I definitely gotta get some Pitt gear too before they go full-time back to the script. I've been trying to check fanatics.com and eastbay to see what they have. Hoping for sales soon.

yea @Dathbgboy

Fuel switched owners recently and the half priced options aren't as good. I definitely gotta get some Pitt gear too before they go full-time back to the script. I've been trying to check fanatics.com and eastbay to see what they have. Hoping for sales soon.

Man, if u don't just go to the corner on campus and get your gear :lol:

Back
Top Bottom