Stephen A. Smith Apologizes about Domestic Violence Views

Wish I didn't find this thread so late.

Saw Stephen A. appologizing this morning and all I could do was shake my head at how sensitive people are to women liberties and rights. Ray Rice ****** up BIG TIME and what he essentially got was a slap on the wrist but when and what ever happened in that elevator ol girl in no way shape or form deserved to be knocked out by her RB pro athlete fiancé but why is it that woman get to absolve themselves of any blame once things get physical? A MAN SHOULD NEVER PUT HANDS ON A WOMAN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES but to ensure that a woman should never put themselves in a position to where physical violence can occur between her and a man and that includes PROVOKING. This is why the double standard exists between men and women because women will forever be associated with the victim in society. Again, Ray Rice is a scumbag. Any dude that touched a female is *****. Period. But some people were taught if someone hits, you hit them back...and that rule often works in a mans favor...

And how come First Take didn't give Rob Parker a chance to appologize? :lol:

Last edited:
i never understood why should a man not hit a woman under any circumstances though

say a 5'8 185lb woman spits in your face and a 5'8 160lb man spits in your face. i guarantee you the smaller more frail man would generally receive a more physical reaction.

people should control their emotions, and try to restrain from using violence, but at the same time, a grown adult starting problems and hiding behind a stigma of "i'm a woman, he shouldn't hit me" after she started everything rubs me a certain way.         she knows right from wrong, and she knows her actions are wrong, but does them anyway because a society social norm protects her, despite taking a huge risk because not everyone plays by those rules.

like i said earlier,  no one should hit a disrespectful child because they don't know what their doing and the maturity level of a child isn't that of an adult.     unless were making a disrespectful assumption that women have the brain power of a child and don't know what their doing, they shouldn't get a pass to act physical to another person.  

You were complaining about PC wussification. Same thing.

It's cool to call people overly sensitive as long as you understand how ignorant it is. As a whole, stuff like this is harmful to women. Non-PC stuff is usually harmful to minorities in the long run. Go ahead and call people sensitive - I'd rather have a society where there's less racism, sexism, violence and discrimination. Little steps like this are important. Maybe SAS will realize that he's victim blaming when he tells women to not provoke, tells black men to not wear hoodies, tells black men it's their fault for smoking weed, etc. It's small but it's harmful stuff in the long run. If this complaining could educate even one person on the subject, Beadle did her job.
you don't think things are way too PC these days.

telling women not to provoke isn't victim blaming.    it's a big difference between hitting an innocent woman and a woman starting a problem, hitting a man or damaging his property and hiding behind a stigma which she feels protected by.

hitting an innocent woman who did nothing to warrant it is wrong,    hitting a woman who deserved it probably isn't the best reaction in some cases as well but we need to look at each situation individually rather then just assume all men who put hands on a woman are violent savages.  

Thats the problem with PC, it's often hard to identify the actual harm it causes. What exactly is the impact of what Stephan A said? Did some dude hear him, go home and beat his wife? or is it just something people don't like to hear, and if it's the latter, why does it matter? is the system in place to ensure that no one will ever have to hear/read/see something that offends them? At what point does your need to not be offended infringe on my right to free speech?

He has said plenty of things that weren't politically correct and stood behind it, a lot of times he has said "I'm not apologizing, I meant what I said", and called people dumb for interpreting something he said as something else. So why did he apologize and clarify now?

Man you know people's fingers itch when they feel like they've been slighted :lol: People rather immediately respond purely out of emotion than sit back and truly comprehend the meaning of things said.

He said this in a public setting on TV for everyone to hear - including abusers and victims. Why in the world would she solve this problem in private?

Either way, he had the chance to initially apologize or clarify what he meant and instead repeated EXACTLY what he said on the air. He clearly meant what he said. It sounds like you guys are so itchy to cape for SAS or to go against PC people, that you respond purely out of emotion.

I was actually commenting solely on Deuce's question/comment in a general sense, as I didn't see 1st Take. Looks like you did exactly what I described. Wipe the egg off your face on the way out please.

you don't think things are way too PC these days.

telling women not to provoke isn't victim blaming.    it's a big difference between hitting an innocent woman and a woman starting a problem, hitting a man or damaging his property and hiding behind a stigma which she feels protected by.

hitting an innocent woman who did nothing to warrant it is wrong,    hitting a woman who deserved it probably isn't the best reaction in some cases as well but we need to look at each situation individually rather then just assume all men who put hands on a woman are violent savages.  

Nah, I don't think things are too PC nowadays. Not even close. I think people that are privileged or in a position of power should think about what they say and the implications it may have especially in the media. I don't think people should be walking on eggshells or scared to say anything but the world would be a better place if people were willing to be educated on stuff like this and see why they were wrong. There's this mentality where if people disagree or are offended, that the problem is that everyone is too sensitive - not that the person was wrong.

I think the media and our society is full of stuff that is harmful to minorities (POC, women, LBGTQ, etc) and even though some people can just ignore it and live, it doesn't make it right. Some of that stuff may be minor but it's still wrong. It adds up and some people are directly harmed by it. Is it wrong to want to educate people on this sort of stuff?

It's fair to say we should look at each situation individually but at the same time, the large majority of these situations are NOT situations where the women put their hands on the man. So SAS and you are talking about a small percentage of victims. This is extra unfair because the "provoking" excuse is often a method of the abuser to project blame on the victim. They often blame the victim and try to get them to change their behavior. Don't you see how it's harmful for some guy on TV to say the same exact thing that an abuser is telling a victim?

Again, you're right - every situation is different but if you're going to say what SAS said, you NEED to be more specific. You need to mention EXACTLY what type of situations you're talking about. If he was talking about not hitting a man as a way to provoke him, he could've easily said that. EASILY. It would've killed this storm right away.

i'm starting to think some dudes on here just go against the grain for attention needs or to just want to be different.

people are really upset over the use of the word "provoke"  wow :lol:

that whole PC wussifiyng of everything and getting up in arms off any little statement someone disagrees with is just over the top to me.  

Another person showing their ignorance about triggering words.

Well by reading through the thread it seems like a lot of people didn't know that provoke is a trigger word for people of physical abuse. Your response read as kind of smug.

Michelle beadle just wants attention all the time. That's why she's a bop and Linda Cohn shaded her ***

He said absolutely nothing wrong. Michelle Beadle made it bigger than what it should have been when she spun it into a rape thing.

Both men and women should keep hands to themselves. Something that needs to be taught early instead of don't hit girls. Don't hit anyone.
this bothers me so much.....if she just *****ed about the hitting thing I could give her a pass but to spin it to rape was wrong.

@lamekilla: the reason why rob p ain't get a chance is because he's nowhere near as big as SAS...

Dude is top 5 in ESPN on salary...

After Berman and The pti boys

@lamekilla: the reason why rob p ain't get a chance is because he's nowhere near as big as SAS...

you sure?.....I mean he got pull but them college/nfl football announcers pullin paper too

he is getting paid well cause PTI is a top rated program on espn 

Last edited:

you sure?.....I mean he got pull but them college/nfl football announcers pullin paper too

he is getting paid well cause PTI is a top rated program on espn 
yep...

He's on the most popular show on ESPN...

Plus a radio show in the biggest market...

Plus he's really the driving NBA guy....

I read somewhere that his salary from ESPN is $2M

And those football guys are easily replaceable because the product of the NFL is so great

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom