Stephen A. Smith Apologizes about Domestic Violence Views

Brandon Marshall was stabbed by his crazy *** girl, if that ain't provocation then I dont know WTF is.

According to Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters on Twitter and here on NT, an example such as this ISN'T provocation on the woman's part.  Let them tell it, the woman did everything right in this example provided, they probably would say she should have used a stabbing utensil. 

Can you quote an example on NT that justifies this foolishness you just typed, no one said anything like this.

Cant stand Beadle :smh: :x :x

I would never steal on my girl, though. I would eat her punch and constrain her. How i look hitting my future wife with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious? Nah :lol:

You could probably just shake her really fast.

Apparently experience =/= education.
Dudes in here going against the grain just do it.
Arguing semantics when we all know what he meant.

:lol:

You really think having some experience with knowing someone that went through domestic violence = educated on the subject? So a white guy who knows a black guy is educated on racism? Seriously? You compare some experience to reading up on the subject, doing in depth research? Are you serious?

Also - correct me if I'm wrong, SAS sounded like he was HYPOTHETICALLY talking about dealing with domestic violence. He said IF he was in that situation, he would "deal" with it. In that clip or in that apology, he didn't mention specifically having experience with it. Am I wrong?

Here's my thing, if SAS was vague as you just described above why couldn't Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters just asked SAS what exactly did he mean by those comments.  Is asking a question that hard these days??  Folks scared to ask questions, folks would just rather make up their own assumption and run with that. 

When asked for clarification on what he believed provocation to be, that was his opportunity to clarify his statements. He instead apologized to women who "misconstrued" what he said. THAT was his biggest mistake in this. From that point, an apology was absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Who determines what provocation is though? Doesn't different things provoke different people.

If SAS said specifically women shouldn't hit men or women shouldn't come at men with knives, there would be no outrage. He decided to be very vague about it and that's why what he said was wrong. His vagueness in that clip AND in his twitter "clarification" is the problem. If what he meant was women shouldn't hit men, he would've said that specifically - he's a very blunt person.

Here's my thing, if SAS was vague as you just described above why couldn't Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters just asked SAS what exactly did he mean by those comments.  Is asking a question that hard these days??  Folks scared to ask questions, folks would just rather make up their own assumption and run with that.  Especially since he is a co-worker of yours and you can just see him at the studio to ask, send a private e-mail or just find the ESPN company directory and get his extension to give SAS a call.  Seems very easy and simple to do, just ask. 

Man you know people's fingers itch when they feel like they've been slighted :lol: People rather immediately respond purely out of emotion than sit back and truly comprehend the meaning of things said.

If SAS said specifically women shouldn't hit men or women shouldn't come at men with knives, there would be no outrage. He decided to be very vague about it and that's why what he said was wrong. His vagueness in that clip AND in his twitter "clarification" is the problem. If what he meant was women shouldn't hit men, he would've said that specifically - he's a very blunt person.

There's a difference between saying "don't put yourself in that position by hitting someone" and "don't put yourself in that position". One implies you physically start the altercation (which is wrong), the other implies you may have caused it by saying something or acting a certain way.
But it IS possible to provoke a beat down by saying something and acting a certain way. Just because some men were raised properly not to hit women doesn't mean all of them are. So if you think chicks have carte blanche to fly off the handle (ie. destroying property, verbal assault, threats, etc.) and not worry at all about getting hit you're wrong. All SAS was saying is that we NEVER say that women need to have some decorum because we only preach the "walk away" script.

Last edited:

Here's my thing, if SAS was vague as you just described above why couldn't Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters just asked SAS what exactly did he mean by those comments.  Is asking a question that hard these days??  Folks scared to ask questions, folks would just rather make up their own assumption and run with that. 

When asked for clarification on what he believed provocation to be, that was his opportunity to clarify his statements. He instead apologized to women who "misconstrued" what he said. THAT was his biggest mistake in this. From that point, an apology was absolutely necessary.
@heLiumcLinton, you didn't answer a damn thing by posting that champ.  Look at the time and date of Michelle Beadle's tweets below, they were written as First Take on Friday was still being done live and recorded.  All Beadle had to do was wait a few more minutes for the show to be over by 12pm, and ASK either by private phone call, e-mail , or face to face conversation with SAS in studio what exactly did he mean by his vague comments earlier on the show that day.  It's just that simple.  Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters jumped the gun.

900x900px-LL-2975e765_Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-50-31.png

Man you know people's fingers itch when they feel like they've been slighted :lol: People rather immediately respond purely out of emotion than sit back and truly comprehend the meaning of things said.

He said this in a public setting on TV for everyone to hear - including abusers and victims. Why in the world would she solve this problem in private?

Either way, he had the chance to initially apologize or clarify what he meant and instead repeated EXACTLY what he said on the air. He clearly meant what he said. It sounds like you guys are so itchy to cape for SAS or to go against PC people, that you respond purely out of emotion.

As c. Rock stated "no one is above an a-whopping" .....

Nothing wrong wit what sas and I can't stand him....

Last edited:

@heLiumcLinton
, you didn't answer a damn thing by posting that champ.  Look at the time and date of Michelle Beadle's tweets below, they were written as First Take on Friday was still being done live and recorded.  All Beadle had to do was wait a few more minutes for the show to be over by 12pm, and ASK either by private phone call, e-mail , or face to face conversation with SAS in studio what exactly did he mean by his vague comments earlier on the show that day.  It's just that simple.  Michelle Beadle and her brigade of supporters jumped the gun.

900x900px-LL-2975e765_Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-50-31.png

In the words of the great David Chapelle

Flame suit on ...

Whether it is what we believe or not ... The statement is flat wrong. Just because you are getting antagonize does not give someone the right to result into physical violence.

We can go in circle all day ... Just like saying raping is wrong but don't gear dress provocative.

Etc etc etc ..

Woman push buttons .. Learn how to control yourself and walk away ...

But it IS possible to provoke a beat down by saying something and acting a certain way. Just because some men were raised properly not to hit women doesn't mean all of them are. So if you think chicks have carte blanche to fly off the handle (ie. destroying property, verbal assault, threats, etc.) and not worry at all about getting hit you're wrong. All SAS was saying is that we NEVER say that women need to have some decorum because we only preach the "walk away" script.

It's simple, what he meant is that sometimes BOTH people are to blame.

Well I hope you two never date a woman who screams.

Flame suit on ...

Whether it is what we believe or not ... The statement is flat wrong. Just because you are getting antagonize does not give someone the right to result into physical violence.

We can go in circle all day ... Just like saying raping is wrong but don't gear dress provocative.

Etc etc etc ..

Woman push buttons .. Learn how to control yourself and walk away ...

Everyone doesn't have that in them. You poke and prod at someone while cussing them out, there's only so much someone can take. You don't know what their relationship is like.

Can't believe you clowns are defending him for saying women shouldn't provoke men. Unless she coming at me with fists flying, I'll never put my hands on a woman.

, you didn't answer a damn thing by posting that champ. 

Last time I checked his statement wasn't directly specifically towards Beadle, so for all the other people who had his mentions in shambles how should they have addressed him? In a DM? Not sure why yall acting like she was the only one who had a response to what he said. His mentions were lit up before she even said anything on the subject.

Can't believe you clowns are defending him for saying women shouldn't provoke men. Unless she coming at me with fists flying, I'll never put my hands on a woman.

So it's not "never" then huh? And he himself said he worded it wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom