Seattle SuperSonics Thread

20220606_205444.jpg

Heads up that new Iconic Sonics pod premieres at 3pm today on KJR (yea must be some boomers not uploading it to Spotify/Apple right away lol and smh). This is the episode they recorded at D ick's in Queen Anne a few weeks back.

In this full-length interview, Gary Payton starts the conversation off by talking about what life was like growing up in the projects of West Oakland during the crack epidemic and the hard-nosed approach that his father used to toughen him up and discipline him from his adolescence throughout his stint as a standout college basketball player at Oregon State. In a full-circle moment of the discussion, Gary Payton later detailed the parenting tactics that he used once he became the father of four.

As the conversation continues, the legendary hooper talks about the events leading up to him being drafted by the Seattle Supersonics, his regular-season debut against Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, his development as a franchise player alongside Shawn Kemp, and the long-lasting effect that George Karl had on each of them as a head coach. While the trio enjoyed success in a highly competitive Western Conference during the early-mid 90s, their stint together was not completely unblemished. According to Gary Payton, his verbal altercation with teammate Ricky Pierce nearly ended with gun violence in the Supersonics locker room. But luckily for everyone involved, cooler heads prevailed.

The former "Defensive Player of the Year" recalls the time when his cousin gave him the nickname "The Glove," his epic showdown against Michael Jordan during the NBA Finals (1996), and the way in his defensive strategy against the league's all-time scoring average leader worked. The Hall of Famer later talks about his other NBA finals appearances against the Pistons (2004) and Mavericks (2006). Lastly, Gary Payton weighs in on the MJ vs LBJ debate, Scottie Pippen's legacy as an all-around basketball player, Kobe Bryant's death, and LeBron's current stint with the Los Angeles Lakers.

(3) Gary Payton on Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, 2 Sons Named Gary, Winning Finals, HOF (Full Interview) - YouTube

Speaking of JCross, saw a jxmmyhighroller video where they had a clip of the dan patrick show a few days ago apparently and interviewed him about him being the 'younger' Jordan in those old "you reach I teach" commercials. Noticed his shirt

1660873655901.png

Seattle Pacific about to be packed like a MF and lines have been crazy to get in. I usually got some folks that always get in streaming on IG Live or something, but I'll wait for highlights. I bet Bron and Co about to be at the Storm's playoff game Sunday too..

Yeah I remember when the drew came up years ago and the line was like around the block ten times over. Was in HS then and had the plug to slide through. They used to give out wristbands to all the big games in renton at liberty park.

Back
Top Bottom