Takeover > Ether

^

The person I quoted said "Nas has way more lyrical talent".....with the key phrase being WAY MORE, and in that regard I'm just not seeing or hearing it.

Truth be told overall, I do think Jay is better than Nas lyrically. A case can be made for both IMO.
I agree with this. It's just different styles of lyricism but they are both elite. It's just a matter of preference.
Agreed.

are we talking bout nowadays or in their primes in terms of their lyrical ability? Because in terms of today, Nas is a much better lyricist, but in terms of Prime, it's a toss up.

The best way I can describe this Jay vs Nas thing:

If the business of hip-hop is like basketball, Jay = Jordan

If the art of rapping is like dunking, Nas = Vince

LOL I'm perfectly fine. Take it down a thousand man. It's not good for your heart. You got it.
Yeah, this typing ****'s known to put many in critical condition... Gruesome on the cardiovascular system. 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Although, I am glad that you're finally seeing the immense stupidity contained within' your moronic statements. I applaud you for that at least.

Last edited:
This is why people don't take some of you Jay fans seriously. You have no objectivity at all. Nas made your god bleed and you still can't believe it. :lol: You think he was hurt because that's how his voice sounds on the radio? Now see ladies and gentlemen, this is an original excuse. I have heard all kinds of excuses from Jay fans of why he sounds like that on the radio but this here is brand spankin new. hats off to you! :rofl:

You undermine Nas' career by saying Ether is the highlight of his career. Not Illmatic, not IWW, not Stillmatic, not the lost tapes and etc...but ether? alright. :rolleyes

What's first thought of when mentioning Nas?

If you're over 30 you would probably mention Illmatic.

If Ether isn't a highlight of his career, why does this debate still occur? Nobody is talking about LL and Canibus, Mase and Jay-Z or Gucci and Jeezy. People aren't even discussing Tupac and Biggie anymore.

Son it's crazy dudes still talking bout Ether almost 12 years after the fact...that **** hit like Bin Laden was the engineer 

Last edited:
What's first thought of when mentioning Nas?

If you're over 30 you would probably mention Illmatic.
If you're over 30? Unless you don't know **** about hip-hop, Illmatic should be the first thing that comes to mind. Age couldn't be more irrelevant, that record's a straight up classic. And classic joints like that are timeless. Same can be said about It Was Written, Stillmatic, and even The Lost Tapes.

I
Although, I am glad that you're finally seeing the immense stupidity contained within' your moronic statements. I applaud you for that at least.

I said nothing moronic guy. You made no sense in your statements and called me all sorts of names and then have the nerve to ask me if I'm trying to be a tough guy over the Internet. LOL you are mentally inferior and you need to step your game up. You can't articulate yourself properly and get mad at me for acknowledging how fragile the reasoning behind your opinions is. That is why no one is taking you seriously in anything you have typed in this thread. You would rather listen to snoop do reggae than Damian Marley. That statement says everything I need to know about you. I don't care if you don't listen to reggae, don't speak on something you know nothing about. You make yourself look like a clown. Now go sit in a corner and reevaluate yourself. This is the last time I am going to address you.

I am giving you the opportunity to have the last word. Have at it. Just a forewarning tho, I won't read it. Lol

If you're over 30? Unless you don't know **** about hip-hop, Illmatic should be the first thing that comes to mind. Age couldn't be more irrelevant, that record's a straight up classic. And classic joints like that are timeless. Same can be said about It Was Written, Stillmatic, and even The Lost Tapes.

It should be, but you have Jay-Z fans who don't care about Reasonable Doubt. Didn't some dude complain that he was doing old songs at his concert?

If you're 18, you weren't born when Illmatic came out.

And how many "older" dudes even go back and listen to old Run DMC, Whodini, UTFO, LL, Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five...

It goes both ways

Age is very relevant.

It should be, but you have Jay-Z fans who don't care about Reasonable Doubt. Didn't some dude complain that he was doing old songs at his concert?

If you're 18, you weren't born when Illmatic came out.

And how many "older" dudes even go back and listen to old Run DMC, Whodini, UTFO, LL, Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five...

It goes both ways

Age is very relevant.

How does this pertain to Nas tho? All those dudes do not make music anymore. Nas is still making quality music. Ether is not even the highlight on the album that it is on. One Mic was, so your original point is moot anyways.

Last edited:

he was complaining because he's already seen him perform them.

I'm convinced Jay-Z simply is not capable of making the following songs:

1) Anything from Illmatic
2) I gave You Power - rhyming from the perspective of a gun
3) Sekou Story - rhyming from the perspective of a female
4) Fried Chicken - telling the story of Blacks' struggle with soul food
5) Fetus - Speaking about his 9 month term in his mom's belly to birth
6) Who Killed It? - Speaking from the perspective of a police detective in the style of Film Noir ("Ya shee?")
7) I Can - Uplifting the youth without hiding the objective
7) Anything from Distant Relatives.

How does this pertain to Nas tho? All those dudes do not make music anymore. Nas is still making quality music. Ether is not even the highlight on the album that it is on. One Mic was, so your original point is moot anyways.

Over your head :smh:

Let me spell it out for you. It doesn't matter if they're making music now. They all produced great music. So you should want to go back and listen to Raising Hell or Radio. But like you said, only making music NOW matters. That's exactly how young and rap fans in general think. So again, why would a 18 or 20 year old care about Nas? When 25 year olds don't care about Rakim, KRS, Kane or G Rap?

Ether isn't the highlight :lol:

Yeah, if you go to a Nas concert they are disappointed if he doesn't do One Mic, right :lol:

he was complaining because he's already seen him perform them.

But songs are timeless. It's not like Jay's Beyonce and he is going to have an entirely new set and wardrobe change to a new set of songs.

Last edited:

Stillmatic was the lowest selling of Nas' 3 double platinum albums, though.

From RIAA:

Illmatic
Released: April 19, 1994
Label: Columbia
Formats: CD, LP, CS, digital download
RIAA: Platinum[2]
US: 1,576,000[16]

It Was Written
Released: July 2, 1996
RIAA: 2× Platinum
MC: Platinum
US: 2,494,000

I Am…
Released: April 6, 1999
RIAA: 2× Platinum
US: 2,107,000

Nastradamus
Released: November 23, 1999
Label: Ill Will, Columbia
RIAA: Platinum
US: 1,238,000

Stillmatic
Released: December 18, 2001
RIAA: 2x Platinum
US: 2,026,000

God's Son
Released: December 13, 2002
US: 1,450,000

Street's Disciple
Released: November 30, 2004
Formats: CD, LP, digital download
US: 1,303,000

Hip Hop Is Dead
Released: December 19, 2006
Label: Def Jam
RIAA: Gold[2]
US: 870,000

Untitled album
Released: July 15, 2008
RIAA: Gold
US: 559,000

Life Is Good
Released: July 17, 2012
US: 369,093

Over your head :smh:

Let me spell it out for you. It doesn't matter if they're making music now. They all produced great music. So you should want to go back and listen to Raising Hell or Radio. But like you said, only making music NOW matters. That's exactly how young and rap fans in general think. So again, why would a 18 or 20 year old care about Nas? When 25 year olds don't care about Rakim, KRS, Kane or G Rap?

Yeah, if you go to a Nas concert they are disappointed if he doesn't do One Mic, right :lol:
But songs are timeless. It's not like Jay's Beyonce and he is going to have an entirely new set and wardrobe change to a new set of songs.

Why would 18 year olds care about Nas? Because he is still making great music now! Im sure 18 year olds listen to j cole and this dude made a song called "i let nas down". Dude is still relevant. Nothing went over my head lol. That's the difference between him and the other old heads.

Again ether was not the highlight of stillmatic. As much as you want to believe that it was, it really wasnt. You're the one who made the asinine comment of saying that ether was the highlight if his career. Don't know what else to tell you because there are 6-7 songs that are better than ether on stillmatic.

Last edited:
Why would 18 year olds care about Nas? Because he is still making great music now! Im sure 18 year olds listen to j cole and this dude made a song called "i let nas down". Dude is still relevant. Nothing went over my head lol. That's the difference between him and the other old heads.

Again ether was not the highlight of stillmatic. As much as you want to believe that it was, it really wasnt. You're the one who made the asinine comment of saying that ether was the highlight if his career. Don't know what else to tell you because there are 6-7 songs that are better than ether on stillmatic.

I guess you don't realize when I'm talking about Ether, I'm not talking about the actual song :lol:

I guess you don't realize when I'm talking about Ether, I'm not talking about the actual song :lol:

Lol I'm done with you. First you undermine Nas' by saying ether was THE highlight of his career. That's what your original statement said. That's a baseless opinion. To say it was a highlight in his career then i can agree but to say that its THE highlight is asinine. you also undermine the impact the battle had on Jay's career.

Lol I'm done with you. First you undermine Nas' by saying ether was THE highlight of his career. That's what your original statement said. That's a baseless opinion. To say it was a highlight in his career then i can agree but to say that its THE highlight is asinine. you also undermine the impact the battle had on Jay's career.

Yes if you look back at his career at a whole, the battle was the highlight...because Jay is even larger, and as time goes on albums are forgotten by the younger generation...especially with rap. So if you do a VH-1 Bio on Nas, the biggest segment will be the Jay vs Nas battle.

What impact did it have on Jay's career?

Yes if you look back at his career at a whole, the battle was the highlight...because Jay is even larger, and as time goes on albums are forgotten by the younger generation...especially with rap. So if you do a VH-1 Bio on Nas, the biggest segment will be the Jay vs Nas battle.

What impact did it have on Jay's career?

Another asinine and baseless comment. They did have VH-1 bio on Nas which proves you are wrong again. :lol: :smh: Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself even more, here is the link

http://www.vh1.com/video/behind-the-music/full-episodes/behind-the-music-nas/1683157/playlist.jhtml

they spoke about the beef for about 2-3 minutes out of 41 minutes. :rofl:

Don't try to change facts just because you wish it to be your way.

The battle benefited Jay because this is when he established that he was one of the top rappers in the game. He stood toe to toe against someone who was already regarded as one of the top MC's in the game. Everyone was talking about the battle which equaled more sales for Jay and Nas and more talk about who is GOAT. During and after the battle was the first time people started considering Jay as one of the GOATs. For you to ignore that is idiotic.

Last edited:
Another asinine and baseless comment. They did have VH-1 bio on Nas which proves you are wrong again. :lol: :smh: Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself even more, here is the link

http://www.vh1.com/video/behind-the-music/full-episodes/behind-the-music-nas/1683157/playlist.jhtml

they spoke about the beef for about 2-3 minutes out of 41 minutes. :rofl:

Don't try to change facts just because you wish it to be your way.

The battle benefited Jay because this is when he established that he was one of the top rappers in the game. He stood toe to toe against someone who was already regarded as one of the top MC's in the game. Everyone was talking about the battle which equaled more sales for Jay and Nas and more talk about who is GOAT. During and after the battle was the first time people started considering Jay as one of the GOATs. For you to ignore that is idiotic.

You have a problem with comprehension. :lol:
You already thought I was talking about just the song itself.
I'm talking about a bio down the road...that's why I said as time goes on albums are forgotten
Do people want to hear about Ill Will or The Bravehearts or the Jay-Z battle?

Ummm, people were considering Jay as one of the best already. That was the King talk remember. Jay even said it himself on Where I'm From.

Embarrass myself to who? You're a nobody son.

Last edited:
n
You have a problem with comprehension. :lol:
You already thought I was talking about just the song itself.
I'm talking about a bio down the road...that's why I said as time goes on albums are forgotten
Do people want to hear about Ill Will or The Bravehearts or the Jay-Z battle?

Ummm, people were considering Jay as one of the best already. That was the King talk remember. Jay even said it himself on Where I'm From.

Embarrass myself to who? You're a nobody son.

Ahh nice deflections. Keep doing it to adjust your weak arguments. I knew from the get go what you were talking about. The impact of ether or the battle itself is not THE highlight of his career. That's flatly wrong and you know it. Illmatic is still being discussed as one of the greatest rap albums of all time, it came out 20 years ago but you chose the battle from 12 years ago. The impact that illmatic had is far greater than ether or the battle. Don't get mad when your logic is questioned.

You are posting on a public forum, you are embarrassing yourself. Don't attack me. Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom