The ALPHAPROJECT (aka. Jason Petrie) Appreciation Post!

Couldnt DC also be Coach Hubie? Or were Jack and Coach the same person? As for AP. I remember seeing this dudes work when I first came on the board and I wasblown away (NH). I actually emailed him when he got the job at NIKE to congratulate him and tell him that I saw his work on here. I know this will be anoverstatement and thats ok, but this guy has the potential to be the Tinker Hatfield of OUR time. Tinker "saved" Jordan from leaving, and with allthe scuttlebutt about maybe Lebron looking elsewhere, could AP have saved Lebron from leaving and then go on to do amazing things with the Lebron line? Onlytime will tell.

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

Couldnt DC also be Coach Hubie? Or were Jack and Coach the same person?
One and the same. I just could not remember his Coach Hubie name. Read some of this guys' other posts in the Jumpman Pro or Zoom Air in allshoes and tell me. Nothing but hate-spreader.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Well Im not a hanger oner or looking for a hook. Petrie is a friend of mine point blank. So for me its not running to save his honor, but as jmizzo said if you dont like a guys designs.. thats cool... but what does Punk and rhetorical have to do with one another.. do you know the meaning of rhetorical my man?

Even I who has friends on Jordan and Nike dont like all their designs but only butt kissers would tell a dude EVERYTHING he did was the Beast.. but again.. for those of us who have seen stuff from Concept know... when you see something at retail, its not always what the designer had in mind when he conceived the Product. It evolves sometimes into something different..

But a guy does not become a punk because you dont like his designs.. or because he actually came on here and responded to your post.

Oh well. I guess you have strong fingers Darkie... all that Intellectual typin you do eh?

Darkie? Ok, now this has become something else. I think that it is clear that you have some self hate issues, along with other self esteem problems that I amnot qualified to deal with. That said, anyone who is really good at what they do, would not need to defend themselves on a message board. His shoes wind up onsales racks because the designs he puts out, are out of touch with current trends. Now I don't know if you read at all, but there is a magazine calledPUNKS, which features up and coming ball players, one that is put out by slam magazine. It is rhetorical slang to describe people who are trying to make theirbones in the game.

To the esteemed designer!
laugh.gif
Your shoes are terrible and non functional.They may be cute to your fans here on Niketalk, but then again I am sure that you do realize that nike only cares about the bottom line. Your elaborate designsdon't sell, no matter how they look pre edit, and then what the other designers feel about what you've done. Jazz musicians can all play like OrnetteColeman, don't ask your *black friend* Rock Deep about who he is, as I am sure that he doesn't know! But when artists play like he did, it becomes someself absorbed bullcrap that nobody wants to hear, nor can understand. Simplicity and functionality, with a little bit of hip is what sells. There is a reasonthat Chucks and Vans are making a killing right now. I hope you do well, and then I truly hope that you surround yourself with people who are truly together,and then not some cats who are simply looking for a hookup like your supporters on this thread. Know any drug dealers? Ask them about *addicts* who try andbecome their friends.
laugh.gif

Ask yourself this, if you lost your job at Nike, and lets say you went to work for reebok, would they give a damn about you and your designs????

Peace out, and good luck.

Off topic: to the Christian, is it not the Christians job to be forgiving, setting the example, instead of pointing fingers and accusing? Funny how some putscripture in their sig, then show more loyalty to shoes...
laugh.gif

Self hate? lololol

Dude you have no clue do you? lololol.. I did chuckle when you wrote that though.

Saying I self hate is like calling J.P. a punk is pure ludicri.. yes ludicri....

I am still giggling.. maybe you should tune into my show sometime.. You'd get a better insight into the mind of Rockdeep... Self Hate? lololololol

Um.. Darkie was a short name and joke for Dark Chocolate.. you could be Polish for all I know.. but I guess not if you took that personally.

My most sincere apologies to you Mr. Chocolate.

As for others trying to get hook ups you say.. you DEFINATELY dont know the culture. Yeah people IN Nike have access.. but some dudes can barely get the shoesTHEY DESIGN in their size lololol.. let alone send other dudes freebies...

But hey.. do you and keep pontificating on everyone wanting a hook up. It really is somewhat ignorantly entertaining.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Well Im not a hanger oner or looking for a hook. Petrie is a friend of mine point blank. So for me its not running to save his honor, but as jmizzo said if you dont like a guys designs.. thats cool... but what does Punk and rhetorical have to do with one another.. do you know the meaning of rhetorical my man?

Even I who has friends on Jordan and Nike dont like all their designs but only butt kissers would tell a dude EVERYTHING he did was the Beast.. but again.. for those of us who have seen stuff from Concept know... when you see something at retail, its not always what the designer had in mind when he conceived the Product. It evolves sometimes into something different..

But a guy does not become a punk because you dont like his designs.. or because he actually came on here and responded to your post.

Oh well. I guess you have strong fingers Darkie... all that Intellectual typin you do eh?

Darkie? Ok, now this has become something else. I think that it is clear that you have some self hate issues, along with other self esteem problems that I am not qualified to deal with. That said, anyone who is really good at what they do, would not need to defend themselves on a message board. His shoes wind up on sales racks because the designs he puts out, are out of touch with current trends. Now I don't know if you read at all, but there is a magazine called PUNKS, which features up and coming ball players, one that is put out by slam magazine. It is rhetorical slang to describe people who are trying to make their bones in the game.

laugh.gif
Your shoes are terrible and non functional. They may be cute to your fans here on Niketalk, but then again I am sure that you do realize that nike only cares about the bottom line. Your elaborate designs don't sell, no matter how they look pre edit, and then what the other designers feel about what you've done. Jazz musicians can all play like Ornette Coleman, don't ask your *black friend* Rock Deep about who he is, as I am sure that he doesn't know! But when artists play like he did, it becomes some self absorbed bullcrap that nobody wants to hear, nor can understand. Simplicity and functionality, with a little bit of hip is what sells. There is a reason that Chucks and Vans are making a killing right now. I hope you do well, and then I truly hope that you surround yourself with people who are truly together, and then not some cats who are simply looking for a hookup like your suppoter on this thread. Know any drug dealers? Ask them about *addicts* who try and become their friends.

Ask yourself this, if you lost your job at Nike, and lets say you went to work for reebok, would they give a damn about you and your designs????

Off topic: to the Christian, is it not the Christians job to be forgiving, setting the example, instead of pointing fingers and accusing? Funny how some put scripture in thei
laugh.gif
r sig, then show more loyalty to shoes...

What the hell are you talking about? Seriously... sales don't matter (like he said, Js were on sales racks back in the day)... and dude has some inventive,outstanding shoe designs. So what's your beef? You don't like the shoes? Then don't come in a thread with an "Appreciation" title.

You think he's a punk? I'm sure he thinks the same about you when you make his Taco Bell order.

Listing off Coleman like you're Ken Burns doesn't impress me. Cats who can really really play are few and far between. Not all bands or artists canplay like that. So when an artist gets serious with his samples, it doesn't mean he's showing off. It means he's expressing his designs. Hating onthat is just the purest form of hate you can have. You a salty kid if you're gonna come up to a guy with a style and passion and dump on his drawingsbecause you think they're evidencing too much skill.

Just the hater of the year over here; and funny when a dude with his avatar as "Dark Chocolate" get mad when ROCK uses one of those words in reply,acting like ROCK just slapped your mom with a racist insult... get over yourself, Choco.

To your question - 2 of my favorite 5 shoes of all times have the Reebok vector on them. I have Jacks for casual, NBs for running, Stan Smiths for tennis, Nikefor bball - so yeah, if Petrie jumped brands I would be behind him defending his work.

Darkie? Ok, now this has become something else. I think that it is clear that you have some self hate issues, along with other self esteem problems that I am not qualified to deal with. That said, anyone who is really good at what they do, would not need to defend themselves on a message board. His shoes wind up on sales racks because the designs he puts out, are out of touch with current trends. Now I don't know if you read at all, but there is a magazine called PUNKS, which features up and coming ball players, one that is put out by slam magazine. It is rhetorical slang to describe people who are trying to make their bones in the game.

laugh.gif
Your shoes are terrible and non functional. They may be cute to your fans here on Niketalk, but then again I am sure that you do realize that nike only cares about the bottom line. Your elaborate designs don't sell, no matter how they look pre edit, and then what the other designers feel about what you've done. Jazz musicians can all play like Ornette Coleman, don't ask your *black friend* Rock Deep about who he is, as I am sure that he doesn't know! But when artists play like he did, it becomes some self absorbed bullcrap that nobody wants to hear, nor can understand. Simplicity and functionality, with a little bit of hip is what sells. There is a reason that Chucks and Vans are making a killing right now. I hope you do well, and then I truly hope that you surround yourself with people who are truly together, and then not some cats who are simply looking for a hookup like your suppoter on this thread. Know any drug dealers? Ask them about *addicts* who try and become their friends.

Off topic: to the Christian, is it not the Christians job to be forgiving, setting the example, instead of pointing fingers and accusing? Funny how some put scripture in thei
laugh.gif
r sig, then show more loyalty to shoes...
laugh.gif
you went from jazz to vans and chucks... way to go aroundthe point. You obviously have some hate issues with the dude if after asking you two times to give him a worthy critique of his design, you fail to do so.

AND
smh.gif
at you for trying to back out from calling dude a punk and suddenly trying to change the context... ##@* outta here you lame. Why dont you just hop offNT and go on reebok's board and dwell on the dee brown pumps like you have since 91. Get with the times bruh... aint no one trying to hoop in vans orchucks.
sick.gif

yo

why are you guys even giving dude the time of day. he's obviously here strictly to hate and stir up trouble and take away from the original intentions ofthis thread.
just ignore him and keep it moving

This thread went the wrong way. JP: I don't think you need to justify yourself to this guy until he posts up some blazing concept and provides you withsome insightful design advice...which clearly ain't gonna happen. lol We all know that design is subjective, and with ANY shoe there will be lovers andhaters- guaranteed. No designer is immune from that. Let's move on and get back to what this thread is about: JPs work and those who appreciate it! -TH

Yes, this definitely confirms these ignorant rants are brought to us by none other than... Coach Hubie "Chocolate" Johnson!!! The condescendingattitude, use of obscure pop culture references to seem relevant, and apparent need to spew hate at all Nike's, and anything Zoom, on a message boardtitled NIKETALK. It never fails to amaze me the jealousy people have when praise is given to another. Because Choco has no discernible talent, other than tostir up this board about every 6 months, he has to pick a topic and blast anyone who replies with his thesaurus and off-the-wall reasoning. And don't tryto pass that PUNKS excuse off; that was the REEAACCH of the year so far. Worse than Rubio then Flynn.

And I assume, since you didn't mention my name, that I was the Christian you spoke of on the topic of forgiveness and finger pointing. Forgiveness is givenif remorse is shown, and I am setting a great example on this board. Find someone, besides you, who has a bad word or post of mine, and I will change mycourse. I really need you to question my beliefs. As for my loyalty, I am wearing TS Commanders now, and have a pair of GT-2130 in my bag for working outlater.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

wait, I still want to know if dude knows what 'rhetorical' means.
roll.gif

But EL's right... if I could I'd delete all these posts from me and other negative crap to keep it what it was for.

Appreciate ...or log out and dont..

Vocal.. thats me on FB.. lol

I don't appreciate JP for one reaason - designing the Fila Strapt and they were not widely available. I still want a pair to see how they play (I lovedold-school Filas back in the early 90's, the old high top with velcro strap, Air Force 1 looking ones).

This is comical as all heck! But hey, the dudes shoes don't sell! So more people in the real world agree with me, than his fans here on Niketalk! A hotinnovative song sells, and a definitive artist who taps into the current trends garners attention, then selling his innovative work, regardless of the economicclimate. But do not fool yourselves, Nike only cares about the bottom line, and that is making money! If this guys shoes don't sell, you'd best believethat this cat will be reassigned to something less important, like designing shoe laces!

As the earlier gif suggested, OVERRATED!

I love the way the LeBron VIIs came out AP, as someone who's been following the Lebron line since day one I was upset when the Zoom Powers were scrappedlast year for the VI. I thought the line was coming to an end, but the inspiration from the Zoom Powers into the VIIs makes me appreciate the VIIs that muchmore. The details and overall design are crazy, hopefully you can keep it up with the VIIIs and beyond.

As for DC this guy is hilarious, I didn't even want to post but his responses make me chuckle. He's just trying to word garbage as somethingintellectual and ignoring all points made. I think its beyond understood that Jasons designs have gone on sale, but I'm pretty sure every sneaker you ownhas been on clearance racks at one point. Every Jordan hit racks, did that mean Tinker wasn't a good designer? Was he fired for that? Nope, and look at thesuccess known as Jordan Brand. Every new age basketball shoe is in outlets, on clearance racks, ect. but does Nike shut down the Basketball division or fireeverybody and start over? Nope, so your point about the sneakers going on sale is irrelevant to him being a good or bad designer.

Now there's nothing racial in my post, I'm not looking for Lebron hook ups (I can get the rare stuff on my own), I'm just a fan of Lebron and hissignature so I'm showing appreciation for that to the designer, I didn't make any personal attacks toward you so hopefully your response can stay onpoint and I won't get a run around from you, Dark Chocolate.

Originally Posted by duke4005

I don't appreciate JP for one reaason - designing the Fila Strapt and they were not widely available. I still want a pair to see how they play (I loved old-school Filas back in the early 90's, the old high top with velcro strap, Air Force 1 looking ones).

Maybe if you pray hard enough, a pair will drop out of the sky.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

At any rate I am all for innovation, but what's innovative must work. There is nothing new about this new lebron shoe, not one thing. It looks like aJordan brand shoe with a swoosh, and max air. What's so innovative about that? Nothing. This cat gets love because he got plucked off of Niketalk. Wantsome love from me? Make a shoe called the *solesister* and then give it to Rock Deep! See if he wears it, but make sure you gotta put zoom air in it, dig?

laugh.gif

I have to admit...the Lebron 7's look good....they look like a solid hoops shoe....but they honestly dont speak (that much) to or about Lebron..just fromthe outside looking in. Other than the max air thats about it. They could easilly take the LBJ branding off the shoe and ...well...its nothing special aboutit....same with the Kobes 4's...kind of bland...

I guess the last shoe that had some personality too it was the Kobe 3's(couldve been better)?...and the Lebron 1-4's..imo...like...you look at thoseshoes and you say....Yeah.."thats a lebron shoe!...thats a Kobe shoe!.

But I guess its a balancing act trying to really get personal yet supply something that the masses will adore...Plus its a recession and Nike doesnt want tohave to make anymore lay offs so...Im sure they're all about the bottom line for the time being...

but all in all good work...

I can say that after today I definitely appreciate ALPHAPROJECT a.k.a. Jason Petrie.

I woke up this morning like I do any other morning. I turned on the my laptop, sat down with some Poptarts and went on my daily sneaker rounds.
I type in Sneakernews into the address bar and wait as it loads. On the site I scroll down and all I see are headline about the Nike Air Max Lebron VII beingunveiled. I quickly clicked on the link and saw the masterpiece that is the Lebron VII.

Like with all other upcoming shoes I like to check the technology that goes into the shoe and see if anything is different this time around so I often findmyself searching rampantly on NT. Luckily, there is a whole thread dedicated to the Lebron VII and I read through some of the main parts multiple times to findthe technology behind this shoe. And mannn am I pleased. This is gonna be one heck of a shoe and I will be def. copping.

So yea I appreciate ALPHAPROJECT. Nice job on the Powermax and the Haurache '09.

BTW... question for AP: Does the new Nike Air Max Lebron VII incorporate Zoom air ANYWHERE on the shoe? Insole, Layers, etc. etc. ?????

Dear Mr. Petrie,

Well done, sir. Keep on coming with the 2015-type stuff.

p.s. Please put in a good word for BP... you and that guy would be the best creative combo since Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Not like Jason aka ALPHAPROJECT needs a cosign from me or for me to protect his name, but I had the pleasure of chopping it up with him a couple of times inAkron over the weekend at the LeBron Media Summit. We touched on a bunch of stuff off the record, and, we built on this interview:

Say what you want about his designs, everyone is free to have their own opinion on that, but though my interaction with him, I will say that he is down toearth, knowledgeable, talented, and beyond all of this, he his a "sneakerhead" with a passion for sneakers just like many of us here.

Again, Im not trying to defend him and Im not saying that I would let him marry my sister (I don't know him like that), but at the end of the day, he'sa cool dude. Real talk.

Take that as you will.

Peace.

MaZe

great video...glad that they let someone other than ken link do Lebron's shoe....

Jason....good work on this shoe.

BTW I don't expect any freebies for saying so....LOL...

I don't appreciate JP for one reaason - designing the Fila Strapt and they were not widely available. I still want a pair to see how they play (I loved old-school Filas back in the early 90's, the old high top with velcro strap, Air Force 1 looking ones).

petrie's fila joints were atrocious.
laugh.gif

but hey that's what happens when you have limited resources and certain unattractive design cues that you have to stick to.

as for his nike stuff i own a pair of mvp's, more for the nash thing than anything else. in all honesty i dont find them to be all that great from aperformace and comfort standpoint.

wasnt really a fan of the bangers, windmills, or the 360 joints.

here's a question: how much say does a designer have in the naming of any particular shoe model?

the max stat were solid, often contemplated but never ended up getting them.

the huarache 08 were absolute fire from a visual standpoint especially the flagship colourway. finally saw a pair in a store a few weeks back inwht/red/blk and i was actually disappointed when i put them on. immediately i recognized that they were the stiffest huarache's straight out of the box. alittle offputting considerng huarache's are all about light weight and freedom of mobility.

the lebron vii in the white/black/red look dope. although i cant say im a fan of any of the other colourways. definitely going throw some consideration at themwhen they drop.

Let's not let this post go more off-topic than it already has.

If JP's shoes were really "flop" or if he was really overrated, why would Nike rely on him to take on the challenge of doing such an importantshoe for one of Nike's biggest athletes?

I own quite a few of JP's designs, and to say they don't perform is very inaccurate but it seems on a few models he's been held back a bit by pricepoints and budgets.

Regardless, ever since he's posted his renderings I've followed his work and truly appreciated that one of NT's own made it and is living hisdream.
No need for hate in this thread, if you don't like his work, move on. This post isn't just about dude's work, it's his story. Finally, one ofNT's own is blessing the sneaker world, what is arguably, Nike's flagship basketball offering for the season. It should be inspiring if anything forthe other NT'ers out there that really want to pursue something in the industry.

I can't wait for the Lebron VII. I hope it performs a lot better on-court than the Six.

MaZe, Great segment there with JP! Lots of good info there. Thanks for the clip.
Lovin JP doin his shoegeek thing breakin down the shoe.

Maybe if you pray hard enough, a pair will drop out of the sky.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

At any rate I am all for innovation, but what's innovative must work. There is nothing new about this new lebron shoe, not one thing. It looks like a Jordan brand shoe with a swoosh, and max air. What's so innovative about that? Nothing. This cat gets love because he got plucked off of Niketalk. Want some love from me? Make a shoe called the *solesister* and then give it to Rock Deep! See if he wears it, but make sure you gotta put zoom air in it, dig?

laugh.gif

F that.. name it the Pink Toe and I'll be a happy Camper... but again... you are right when you say it needs Zoom, as that obviously is my staple andcalling card, but I know about this 360 Max Air and I also know Big Yungin loves the Zoom.. so do you really think he'd go with something he wasntcomfortable with?

But thanks for thinking of me and a shoe named for something I'd be interested in. But Solesister? I have four of them... and a shoe named thatwouldn't really do much nor would a Pink Toe but it would be funny,

Back
Top Bottom