The Bicycle Thread

my friends are telling me to go s-works. but sheesh theyre like 10k+ :lol:

but then again, they all have bikes in the double digits. fml.
Iono...I’m a huge specialized fan. I got two vintage frames from them and restoring one now as we speak.

The s-works has become more of a status symbol. I mean they’re great bikes, and I’ve never rode one honestly. But that’s just how I feel about em

These are some of the best tires ever made! 700x28s

3FB52083-B1C0-432B-9E37-57DCE3F53994.jpeg

Has anybody ever tried to build their own bike stand? Want to try a DIY project. Looking for some ideas.

Has anybody ever tried to build their own bike stand? Want to try a DIY project. Looking for some ideas.
I made a temporary wood one, that I balance the seat on and bolted it to my fence. Not recommended.

I have a spin doctor essential but that sucks too. I usually just put my bike on my Yakima hitch rack.

My next purchase is a proper work stand though. Unless someone has a really good DIY bike stand.

Found this on YouTube. Might do this if I can’t figure a way to make it mobile and not affixed to the ceiling. Don’t really have all that room in my garage to have it hanging from the ceiling.

Found this on YouTube. Might do this if I can’t figure a way to make it mobile and not affixed to the ceiling. Don’t really have all that room in my garage to have it hanging from the ceiling.

honestly those materials I think would be halfway to a stand.

Probably talked about here before but anyone have opinions on clipless pedals? Road vs mtn ones or just recommendations in general?

Someone recommended them Shimano PD-EH 500. They are like half flat pedals and half clipless. Wonder if this is good enough or if this is half assing it and you need to just get full clipless pedals.
046E98AC-677B-4884-9332-D7A9E6773601.jpeg

My helmet has been stuck in JFK customs for 3 days now, wtf man...i need my shxt

What brand did you get? Just curious. Was looking at a Kask Rex in that "gulf racing" light blue & orange color. I tried one on at my LBS and liked it. Would like to have 2 helmets to switch off of.

Probably talked about here before but anyone have opinions on clipless pedals? Road vs mtn ones or just recommendations in general?

Someone recommended them Shimano PD-EH 500. They are like half flat pedals and half clipless. Wonder if this is good enough or if this is half assing it and you need to just get full clipless pedals.

There are lots of thoughts on pedals. If you’re just mooching about or commuting a short distance then decent flat pedals are probably best.
If you want to ride a decent distance but then walk at the other end then you want mtb pedals because the cleats are recessed - I have bmx style shoes which just look like sneakers really for going to meetings and things.
If you are mainly road riding then the proper road pedals feel a little better - a wider platform and more positive engagement. Their main downside is that walking is rubbish in them and they are single sided so clipping back in is more fiddly.
Those double sided ones are pretty good - give you options for both obviously with the only downside being the single sided clipping in. If you sometimes wear regular shoes them they’re a decent option.
I’ve got 2 flats, 2 mtb pedals (‘cross bikes) and 2 road pedals.
The Shimano 520s are the basic SPDs that I’ve been using for about 25 years now - and they’re fine but the higher up ones are a bit nicer. I got a really good deal on some M530s and they’re just a bit nicer - easier to clip in and out and they have a platform around them so are better if I want to use normal shoes too (although I don’t do that very often).

I’m looking at switching to Speedplay pedals at the moment because my knees are killing me and I can’t get comfy with what I always used. They’re more expensive but double sided and look interesting.

^^^^^So i guess just having options is just a normal thing? I keep trying to get what I only need to save on overall buying but this bike industry sort of just doesn’t allow that. I spent like $240 on a pedal setup with nylon toe clips and leather straps it just doesn’t look right on a road bike. Rather than returning it, I just put it on my fix gear which makes more sense but I had velcro straps on that which were totally fine but now I’ll just have an extra pair for the heck of it.

I guess I am leaning toward MTB pedals if any. Before my accident, I just ran in Nike flyknits on plastic flat pedals which were odd. I want a balance of comfort off and on the bike and I don’t think road shoes are the way to go.

Pulled the trigger on a new wheelset last night, should be here soon. 🙏🏽
Gonna put some new rubber on them, i was looking at Vittoria Randonneur...thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on saddles? I was looking at the Specialized Power Expert since it has titaniun rails, a carbon reinforced shell, shorter nose, and cutout to relieve pressure.

These are some of the best tires ever made! 700x28s

3FB52083-B1C0-432B-9E37-57DCE3F53994.jpeg

Best tires? How so? I need new tires since i have a new wheelset coming in soon.

found some pics of my old road bikes...man i wish i had one right now :smh: :lol:

only have my fixed gear left.

5D3BC800-AF5A-47AC-B86B-D9DF78845AD7.jpeg
579DA556-12FE-42F2-99B4-74B74952A312.jpeg

What saddle you got on your FELT bike? Looks like a fizik

What brand did you get? Just curious. Was looking at a Kask Rex in that "gulf racing" light blue & orange color. I tried one on at my LBS and liked it. Would like to have 2 helmets to switch off of.

I got a Kask Mojito X for a good deal, but it came from overseas. Retailers are trying to move the remaining stock since the new generation (called the Mojito³) just released.

^^^^Same helmet and place I got mine. I got the black matte version. But sort of even want a white helmet now. Oddly it doesn’t fit my head right now but hoping it will after the swelling goes away.

^^^^Same helmet and place I got mine. I got the black matte version. But sort of even want a white helmet now. Oddly it doesn’t fit my head right now but hoping it will after the swelling goes away.

You shouldn't even be thinking about cycling right now man, recovery to full health is top priority 🙏🏽

But yea, i bought the white one and it's been stuck in JFK customs for over 2 weeks now. :stoneface:

I think mine are the shimano m520’s. Had them for like 4 years, no issues so far.

Gonna put some new rubber on them, i was looking at Vittoria Randonneur...thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on saddles? I was looking at the Specialized Power Expert since it has titaniun rails, a carbon reinforced shell, shorter nose, and cutout to relieve pressure.

Best tires? How so? I need new tires since i have a new wheelset coming in soon.

What saddle you got on your FELT bike? Looks like a fizik

I got a Kask Mojito X for a good deal, but it came from overseas. Retailers are trying to move the remaining stock since the new generation (called the Mojito³) just released.

My boy swears by this one. Says it’s the best saddle he’s had and doesn’t give a **** it for women. He goes on 100+ mile rides FYI. Been meaning to get it but I got bib shorts recently and that helped comfort a lot.

My sister has those tires on her commuter bike...

They're fine - lasted her quite well, decent puncture resistance and reasonably well rolling.

If you want something like that I like the Schwalbe Marathon Racer - they’re the lightest of their endurance type tyres and I use them on my winter commuter. Similar tread to the Vittoria ones but a bit more robust. I’ve had 2 sets in about 6 years - every few years I just change them for new ones. Other than that I haven’t had them off which is what you want in tyres really.

My best bike has Maxxis High Road tires - they’re supposed to be a race tire but I’ve found them decent. That bike only really goes out when the weather is nice though so that helps.

You shouldn't even be thinking about cycling right now man, recovery to full health is top priority 🙏🏽

I am but man, the hardest thing about recovering is just how to pass the time. I cleaned both my bikes yesterday to assess damages and I got lucky with real minor things. Now I just want to buy and fix them up, learn how to change flats and just other things I’ve been meaning to know.

Anyone ride with a top tube/stem back? Trying to decide between getting one or either a half frame bag or handlebar bag. My only issue is that I’ve heard that top tube bags can interfere with pedaling as it might rub your knee form time to time.

Back
Top Bottom