The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

Never been fishing, went ice fishing once years ago. Dont think i caught anything but the people i was with did.

Would like to go regular fishing one today. Seems real relaxing. Maybe this summer.

The browns and brookies will crush that Aglia. Hopefully you're able to hook into a nice hold over Brown. They are so much fun and grow very big (30+Inches). Unfortunately, around my area, they only stock the browns in catch and release streams and they are usually packed with people looking for a trophy.

I really don’t know what to expect, this girl I know always fishes for trout and told me we’re to go and says she has good luck so I’m just going to start there. She said it’s pretty packed plus it will be opener when I go but whatever it will still be fun even if I don’t get anything.

ahat ahat give it a try, you could try and go for northern pike. They’ll crush anything anytime and are fun to catch.

I got a couple kast king setups. They are pretty good for the price if you want something that isn’t going to break the bank. I don’t buy expensive gear, I’m too hard on it to justify it I get by just fine with 150 dollar setups.

I wouldn’t know. :lol:

if I was fishing from a boat sure. You know how it goes though. Catch a big fish rod goes flying when you grab it because you’re hyped. :lol:

Once you buy a nice $150 rod it makes you want more lol

bought a Big Cat Fever rod last year with a Penn Battle III reel and I still didnt catch a single thing on that setup yet. :lol: I stopped fishing with it and started back with the ugly stick and been smashing. The BCF rod does look nice in the closet though. lol.

I have a Phenix rod and a Lews reel. Spent about $300 on it. I started fishing last year. I am itching to get a new setup.

I wouldn’t know. :lol:

if I was fishing from a boat sure. You know how it goes though. Catch a big fish rod goes flying when you grab it because you’re hyped. :lol:

Worse is when you aren’t paying attention and throw the rod behind you into the water on accident

bought a Big Cat Fever rod last year with a Penn Battle III reel and I still didnt catch a single thing on that setup yet. :lol: I stopped fishing with it and started back with the ugly stick and been smashing. The BCF rod does look nice in the closet though. lol.

Yup I know that feeling of having a expensive setup and not catching a fish

Another day another cheap setup. :lol: Got my ultralight rod and reel for it. Kast king Brutus.

I wanted the ugly stick ultralight but couldn’t find it anywhere.

threw some 4lb mono on it.

Attachments

• E50D4132-4805-43AD-A4B3-431CAF4CAB21.jpeg
    E50D4132-4805-43AD-A4B3-431CAF4CAB21.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 53
Well trout fishing was a bust. Not really anything I did wrong I don’t think but like a million mayflies hatched and they were swarming all over us and falling all in the water so they weren’t messing with our bait. :rofl:

saw some big rainbows and browns. They’d check my lures out and just swim away.

my boy got a couple hits on some wax worms but didn’t get anything.

didn’t see anyone pull any fish out and my friend who was there earlier got skunked too. Chalking it up to mayflies raining down in the river.

found a stocked river 30 mins from me. Hitting it Thursday also full of bass so it’s win win.

Well trout fishing was a bust. Not really anything I did wrong I don’t think but like a million mayflies hatched and they were swarming all over us and falling all in the water so they weren’t messing with our bait. :rofl:

saw some big rainbows and browns. They’d check my lures out and just swim away.

my boy got a couple hits on some wax worms but didn’t get anything.

didn’t see anyone pull any fish out and my friend who was there earlier got skunked too. Chalking it up to mayflies raining down in the river.

found a stocked river 30 mins from me. Hitting it Thursday also full of bass so it’s win win.
If there were mayflies up and down that spot those fish would have eaten up a proper fly rig.

What kind of line are you running? And lure? Trout are very finicky and you need really light line or they usually won’t chase.

I was thinking about getting into an actual fly setup but didn't really know where id be able to use it around here.

4 pound mono, I was using various aglias, tiny rapala countdown and a tiny blue fox (the rapala minnow) kind for lures.

out of my wheelhouse for sure, I only ever aim for bass and pike unless I'm bottom fishing a river.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting into an actual fly setup but didn't really know where id be able to use it around here.

4 pound mono, I was using various aglias, tiny rapala countdown and a tiny blue fox (the rapala minnow) kind for lures.

out of my wheelhouse for sure, I only ever aim for bass and pike unless I'm bottom fishing a river.
Only thing I’d add to your arsenal are rooster tails and panther Martin’s. It’s what the trout I’ve come by seem to like.

Cool, I’ll swing by dicks and grab a few. I wanted to try those anyways. I might just grab a 6 pack if they got a variety pack.

Funny thing is same thing happened to me over in the vermilion by Farmington during the trout stream opener on Saturday .. lost two fish as I was bout to bring them to shore.. once the fish got pressured they all stopped biting

Funny thing is same thing happened to me over in the vermilion by Farmington during the trout stream opener on Saturday .. lost two fish as I was bout to bring them to shore.. once the fish got pressured they all stopped biting

man my boy went out today who new to trout too to vermillion and wrecked shop.

dude got a ton of rainbows, we was east of 52 in farm country. He said none of the farmers were sweating him.

I’m going to root river weds kind of south of Rochester and vermillion Thursday.

I doubt the trout get as much pressure east of 52 since it isn’t public land. I guess you might get harassed here and there but whatever. :lol:

finally got some time to go fishing before work. we usually use live bait at this spot and always do great so we know there are fish around. this was only my second time using artificials here though so i knew it wasn’t gonna be the same. my homie came prepared with a big landing net and a bag for our catch. i laughed and said leave that **** in the truck but he brought it anyway. we spent over 2 hours in the water and no good bites and not even anything good chasing. i saw a big bluefin trevally so i lobbed my lure out and it didn’t even get one tiny bit curious about it lol. i foul hooked a big hound fish that came off and caught this cornet fish that was a pita to unhook and let go. can’t wait until the pile of live bait comes in this summer lol.

0BB71A3A-333D-4E11-A71D-A48A24654C64.jpeg

Last edited:
Man I barely ever use live bait and when I do it’s no fish. :lol:

Well I’m officially on the board with my first trout. Lost a ton... my hookup ratio is straight trash then I lost like 3 more trying to net them.

it’s not like bass and northern on 50 pound braid with a heavy rod and I can just swing them out no matter their size. :lol:

I lost a big rainbow as I was going to net it. Smh

C5772EF3-2E00-4122-9057-01C99B6CB0B3.jpeg
6D8B26CB-1CC5-4370-A20E-80FFCCE7F315.jpeg

Nah, I just threw them all back. I think that’s why I lost so many. You’re supposed to smash the barbs when you catch and release them because I guess they are more sensitive.

i’m hitting another spot tomorrow, I went to the “driftless” region of mn which is huge for trout fishing.

little guys are strong but they’re no small mouth or northern. I need to get into some bigger ones before I judge trout fishing too hard.

I also don’t have waders so I can’t get to all the spots I want, I’m just rocking muck boots and can only walk through like 15” of water. Broke boi trout fishing. :lol:

Last edited:
Just got back from a Florida fishing trip. I feel like the weather and our lack of planning led to us not doing too great. Went out on Lake Okeechobee for bass and only caught a Catfish on a soft worm haha. Saw a lot of huge gators though. Gonna plan the trip out better for next year. Back in Sacramento now and itching to fish.

I want to go get some peacock bass next time I’m down there. :pimp:
we have a spot here with big tucanare/peacock bass. i don't fish freshwater though. if you ever plan a trip here (especially during july-early oct), hit me up and i'll put you onto some trevally. we can try freshwater (small mouth) too if you like.

we have a spot here with big tucanare/peacock bass. i don't fish freshwater though. if you ever plan a trip here (especially during july-early oct), hit me up and i'll put you onto some trevally. we can try freshwater (small mouth) too if you like.

Can I take you up on that too? We were wanting to get some Peacock as well but just didn't know where to go. Next time I want to go down to Flamingo and go through the mangroves and fish.

Back
Top Bottom