The Home Audio Thread

20210714_164347.jpg

moms box set of chinese historical dramas coming in the clutch :rofl:

Last edited:
Definitely want to stay on brand and the Q250 would work really well. A used or NOS Q200C would probably be the best but I’m sure the differences are negligible. It looks like KEF reduced it to only one center for the series but in general, buy the best center you can in the series if you’re using the system primarily for movies. I forget the exact numbers but it’s something like 90% of dialogue and 50 or 60% of all audio goes through the center in movies so it is easily the most important speaker for watching movies. And that’s a great sub to start out with.
And yeah KEF is great and Klipsch can be pretty good too. It just depends on the room and the user.

Thanks. Good to know

Yeah I definitely notice the need for a center at night when trying to listen to movies/tv at low volume

I'll end up having to turn it up enough to hear the dialogue, to the point the music/sound effects are too loud

Just bought some new speakers... lol. The KEF Q750 (x2) and Q150, since they were on sale @ Best Buy and I have been watching them and waiting for a while now. Waiting for that center to go on sale before I complete the set, I REALLY need a new AVR now!

^dope

I ordered a used Q250C last night on ebay :pimp:

$350 shipped. Assuming its as described I should be good for a while

I've been rocking with the Sonos Arc in both my master bedroom and my man cave. I have them hooked up with the new Sonos sub in each room with Sonos Ones for surround.

Marantz NR1710
Philharmonic AA monitors
Crown XLS2502
20201221_005959(1).jpg

Gotta clean up wiring and hide the amps in the stand.

Replaced the bookshelves with AV123 ELT525M with upgraded crossovers.

Swapped out the Marantz NR1604 for an Emotiva PT-100 Preamp.

Added a 2nd Crown XLS 1002. 700 x 2 @ 8 ohms. Had a 2502 I relocated to the bedroom setup

Also added the dual Dynamo 700's. Semi 1/4 wall loaded.

Attachments

• img_1_1633759827960.jpg
    img_1_1633759827960.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210925_062343_HDR.jpg
    20210925_062343_HDR.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Nice. I ended up sending back all but the KEF-150 bookshelf speakers. The floorstanders sounded great, but unfortunately Best Buy did a **** job of packaging everything and they speakers came pretty heavily damaged so I sent them back, will wait for the ones with 8 inch drivers to go on sale again.

Anyway I did upgrade my subwoofer to the BIC PL-300 (from the 200). Sounds pretty good and should hold me over until I ready to drop almost a stack on the 15 inch Klipsch I want for my living room.

I would never buy one because it can't give you actual surround sound. Some of them sounds pretty decent but you get much more band for your buck building a component system compared to a high end sound bar, and that component system will be much more powerful and versatile. Only buy a sound bar if your set-up doesn't allow surround sound, and even then I would rather just invest in a nice 2 channel component system.

Nice. I ended up sending back all but the KEF-150 bookshelf speakers. The floorstanders sounded great, but unfortunately Best Buy did a **** job of packaging everything and they speakers came pretty heavily damaged so I sent them back, will wait for the ones with 8 inch drivers to go on sale again.

Anyway I did upgrade my subwoofer to the BIC PL-300 (from the 200). Sounds pretty good and should hold me over until I ready to drop almost a stack on the 15 inch Klipsch I want for my living room.

Get HSU or Monoprice Monolith before Klipsch

How good are TV sound bars?

Trash.

A pair of $200 bookshelves on Craigslist and an old surround receiver for $50-75 bucks will **** all over a soundbar. Sonos also.

Speakers need big boxes and space to breathe.

Soundbars come in small plastic enclosures with tiny drivers, horrible amplification, and boosted bass(not clean bass either). If

Get HSU or Monoprice Monolith before Klipsch

My "friend" has the VTF-15... been a min since I really heard it but I remember it sounding pretty great. Unfortunately it died on him... and I really didn't want to spend almost $1400 after s/h. I've never listened to any MonoPrice speakers, but I remember them having good cables back in the day...

No sound bar it is. I'll just ask one of those best buy dudes to install me a discrete surround sound system. Keyword is discrete. I don't like too many electronics and wires showing in my living spaces.

My "friend" has the VTF-15... been a min since I really heard it but I remember it sounding pretty great. Unfortunately it died on him... and I really didn't want to spend almost $1400 after s/h. I've never listened to any MonoPrice speakers, but I remember them having good cables back in the day...
Their customer service is top notch since they're internet direct. SVS has even better customer service if anything went wrong.

They're fat better options in the same price range of the klipsch. U can also check out PSA audio, Emotiva, and Rythmik

I think it really depends on your room setup, the size of the room and how long you plan to be at your current place.

mondaynightraw mondaynightraw are you saying Sonos is also trash?

Soundbars have their purpose. Not everyone wants to have a bunch of AV gear in their homes so if it’s between a soundbar or the TVs speakers, soundbar every time.

Soundbars have their purpose. Not everyone wants to have a bunch of AV gear in their homes so if it’s between a soundbar or the TVs speakers, soundbar every time.

They make powered monitors exactly for that purpose. Soundbars are for misinformed consumers and people who are more concerned with aesthetics than good audio.....but I can understand having a pair of large tower speakers in your living room doesn't fit people's idea of 21st century decor.

Yeah, I see. But for the big drop in price would it seem worth checking out having nothing but an old sound bar?

Back
Top Bottom