The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

Damn Olenik broke his leg too. Snapped under the weight of his lifeless body.... rough 15 seconds for brodie.

I know it’s not in his nature but Jorge would be better served ignoring dude.

If you don’t believe someone is on your level, you should treat them as such.

Those are my top 4 in terms of title contendership

Ufc rankings are ridiculous you have Alex Hernandez ranked based off nothing and Leon Edwards at 12th

Masvidal had the strength of schedule with the “contenders” listed. He had two boring, close split decisions to Maia and WB. Both former #1 contenders. He knocked out Till. Obnoxiously sent Askren into next year with a medical suspension and first L.

So if I took a stab, I’d say:

1) Masvidal
2) Woodley
3) Covington
4) Edwards

Sadly, they won’t put Woodley against those guys. And WB lost a lot of stock by taking that Pettis fight.

Jorge my guy but I feel like Colby has gotten screwed over quite a bit here like Ferg kind of has a LW.

Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out after Nate/Pettis and Colby/Lawler as well.

Masvidal had the strength of schedule with the “contenders” listed. He had two boring, close split decisions to Maia and WB. Both former #1 contenders. He knocked out Till. Obnoxiously sent Askren into next year with a medical suspension and first L.

So if I took a stab, I’d say:

1) Masvidal
2) Woodley
3) Covington
4) Edwards

Sadly, they won’t put Woodley against those guys. And WB lost a lot of stock by taking that Pettis fight.
Woodley shouldn’t be ahead of anyone right now for a title shot. That’s where rankings can get weird. He needs to win a fight to get back into the picture. These other guys have been winning against high level comp

^^^We probably agree to disagree.

Despite “boring” fights with WB and Maia, Woodley has fought the best at WW. He had no choice. He was the champ. He should be ranked below Jorge. Jorge has been active. Colby hasn’t fought in almost a year. He would’ve gotten the title fight instead of Till had he not been injured.

Colby winning a bs title when Tyron had defended his belt was dumb. That was one of the worst interim title bouts in recent memory.

Leon beat his first top ten opponent was some of your argument.

If Tyron goes out and has a major stoppage of an opponent and calls out Usman, he’s back in there.

WB probably needs 2 or more wins to get back in the conversation.

I have no clue where Pettis and Diaz fall into all of these hype shenanigans.

Well the problem is, Woodley got hurt and pulled out of his fight vs Lawler

Colby replaced him and if he wins is the clear #1 contender

Jorge meanwhile is waiting in the wings with Leon right behind him

I honestly think Jorge can jump Colby just based off Dana seeing more money coming from a Jorge fight

We'll have a much clearer 170 picture after August 3rd. Robbie can help clear up the WW division if he manages to starch Colby on the feet. I don't think casuals realize how little Lawler has done since being knocked out by T-Wood. People wanna discount Askren's sub on Robbie. Did he tap or not? But Lawler has also lost to RDA, with only a decision W over "Cowboy" since he lost his belt in summer '16.

Even though he was 'interim champ,' if Covington stalls Robbie from top position for five boring rounds, he won't jump his boy Jorge. Man's got four straight decision victories, although I will say Maia is a hard dude to finish grappling.

Leon Edwards was good last night. Eight Ws in a row, certainly impressive. If I'm gonna criticize Colby, "Rocky" hasn't been finishing opponents either. Six of those aforementioned victories were decisions and he very narrowly defeated Gunnar, good grappling test for Edwards. Leon was composed against RDA. Cerebral, methodical. Stuck to the plan his camp drew up. Lil' surprised he took down RDA in the first round or two. Didn't think "Rocky" preferred to be in dos Anjos's guard. 49-46 decision for me, I gave RDA R2 but by a slight, minimal margin.

The guy who is being snubbed the most at 170 and I think truly deserves a WW title shot is Santiago Ponzinibbio. I don't put much stock in UFC rankings but him being ranked #8 below RDA, Till, "Wonderboy" and "Showtime" is laughable. Santi got seven consecutive victories to match resumes with Edwards and Covington. Four of those were KOs. His boxing is some of the best in the division. Finished Nelson and Magny. Perry W is looking less impressive by the day but still got the job done. Ponzinibbio showed solid TDD and work in the clinch in Buenos Aires against Magny. Leg kicks were vicious, Neil couldn't stand by the end.

A few things champ;

1. Edwards didn’t narrowly beat Gunnar, imo. He beat him convincingly, judge made a mistake

2. While I like ponz, he seemingly kept eye poking Gunnar

3. Dana will pit all these contenders against each other for leverage. He’ll give the shot to the guy who is the easiest to negotiate with

A few things champ;

1. Edwards didn’t narrowly beat Gunnar, imo. He beat him convincingly, judge made a mistake

2. While I like ponz, he seemingly kept eye poking Gunnar

3. Dana will pit all these contenders against each other for leverage. He’ll give the shot to the guy who is the easiest to negotiate with
1. I'll rewatch but I definitely had the third round for Nelson. Scored first two for "Rocky" but don't remember off the top how close they were.

2. Yeah, Gunnar complained about that post-fight. I doubt it was intentional as Santi to my knowledge doesn't have a history of eye pokes. Mike Perry is the only other guy besides Nelson I've heard bring it up or complain.

Yes rewatch the Gunnar fight plz. Rocky DOMINATATED that man. He proved to be a much better grappler than Gunnar

Leon has all the tools. His decisions are MUCH more satisfying than Colby or Usmans for me.

giphy.gif

This dude is turning into Iron Mike.

At least Mike finally owned that what he was doing is insanity... Jon sits up there and tries to act like he changes but he is always on the edge of screwing up... Jon doesnt care and seems to have no reason for doing it... Dont hear about his brothers every 6 months screwing up.

Back
Top Bottom