The Movie Red Tails...Go support your people.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Like I said in the other thread, any and every black person needs to go see this movie. Some black people get it and some black people dont.

Can you explain what you mean? Get what? If someone decides they don't want to see it does that mean they don't get it? I am confused.

Meaning some black people get the importance of this movie and going to see it from a community standpoint and from the standpoint of Hollywood producing more movie like this one if they see that WE actually go out and support the product.  From the community standpoint we need/should start taking better care of ourselves and be more supportive of positive images of blacks on TV and on the movie screen.  From the Hollywood standpoint it would be nice to see movies such as this one and others that don't have negative stereotypes associated with black people in it.  In order to help get projects like this one and hopefully future projects off the ground like this is we have to purchase a ticket and support the CAUSE of having future movies with predominately black casts shown on the big screen.  To answer your question to me if a black person chooses not to see this film especially if they are a movie going type of person, nitpicks any and every little thing about this movie, and comes up with a ton of excuses not to see this movie , then to me they don't get it.   

I always like this line of thinking. Every dollar is a vote.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I dropped science on this in the other thread. 
I have immense issues with the portrayal of black men in Hollywood. Either you're some pet Negro or you gotta wear a dress to get on or you're some other janky role. A movie comes out with Black men as protagonists...an all black cast backed by a legend...this man brought us Star Wars. Giving younger brothas a chance to star without being in Denzel or Will or Tyler Perry's shadow. There's a LOT riding on this project. Hollywood is all about a dollar. Look at the early 90s when the Black consciousness was awakening..you had Eddie playing an playboy advertising exec, now? You'd never see that! Watch if this flick even does remotely well, they're gonna jockride it and give it more power....but only to a certain degree because you dont want to have Black people waking up and messing up the money you could lose out on by doing more ****ish movies.

We have to start supporting what we want to see. Black women will go out and see Tyler Perry flicks and The Help; there's no excuse for Black men not to see this. The techno music is a huge cop out, ya'll watch movies with more messed up music in their commercials.. I'll be watching this and I'm really considering buying two tickets to this just because. The men they're portraying are heroes and war vets. "We" have been waiting for this movie for ages. I dont even care if the critics pan it, which I am almost so sure that will happen since it's not a movie like The Help or Blindside. Ya'll are worried about the cast, let them brothas build their resumes, obviously Tyler Perry aint writing these types of roles for them. It's curious enough that even a white producer had to say that Hollywood had problems with the movie. 

Ya'll keep on enjoy seeing Black men in lame roles. I'll be supporting this.
I'm not worried about the star power. Everyone ALWAYS complains about Black actors not having roles and how Tyler Perry is always looking for opps to give black actors roles. These guys can add this to their resume and possibly spark something special. I'm not worried at all about the cast. Ya'll forget that even Denzel and Will started somewhere. A film comes out with actors that dont have the Tyler Perry cosign and people are questioning the credibility of the cast.

Maybe I'm coming across strong, but it's only because I feel that this flick can start an undercurrent. Denzel got an Oscar for Training Day and Glory and Malcolm X were WAY stronger roles than that. It's bad enough the Black male image is assassinated by the same media who uses OUR music and pop cultural dictations to determine what's cool. To the point where it's been a chain of all our Black actors wearing dresses in movies and to where they got Dave Chappelle out of here (coincidentally, he's gone on record as saying he'd never wear a dress). It's obvious what the agenda is and if you have the power to demand something more, do so.

Damn, preach
pimp.gif

Oh and I don't think reviewers are racially motivated at all. The Tusgekee Airmen HBO movie had good reviews and won awards. Just because this movie isn't the greatest doesn't mean you can't support the message. To me, George Lucas' comments are a direct call for action. And just because he isn't a perfect person doesn't mean he can't try to do something good.

I have immense issues with the portrayal of black men in Hollywood. Either you're some pet Negro or you gotta wear a dress to get on or you're some other janky role. A movie comes out with Black men as protagonists...an all black cast backed by a legend...this man brought us Star Wars. Giving younger brothas a chance to star without being in Denzel or Will or Tyler Perry's shadow. There's a LOT riding on this project. Hollywood is all about a dollar. Look at the early 90s when the Black consciousness was awakening..you had Eddie playing an playboy advertising exec, now? You'd never see that! Watch if this flick even does remotely well, they're gonna jockride it and give it more power....but only to a certain degree because you dont want to have Black people waking up and messing up the money you could lose out on by doing more ****ish movies.

We have to start supporting what we want to see. Black women will go out and see Tyler Perry flicks and The Help; there's no excuse for Black men not to see this. The techno music is a huge cop out, ya'll watch movies with more messed up music in their commercials.. I'll be watching this and I'm really considering buying two tickets to this just because. The men they're portraying are heroes and war vets. "We" have been waiting for this movie for ages. I dont even care if the critics pan it, which I am almost so sure that will happen since it's not a movie like The Help or Blindside. Ya'll are worried about the cast, let them brothas build their resumes, obviously Tyler Perry aint writing these types of roles for them. It's curious enough that even a white producer had to say that Hollywood had problems with the movie. 

I'm not worried about the star power. Everyone ALWAYS complains about Black actors not having roles and how Tyler Perry is always looking for opps to give black actors roles. These guys can add this to their resume and possibly spark something special. I'm not worried at all about the cast. Ya'll forget that even Denzel and Will started somewhere. A film comes out with actors that dont have the Tyler Perry cosign and people are questioning the credibility of the cast.

Maybe I'm coming across strong, but it's only because I feel that this flick can start an undercurrent. Denzel got an Oscar for Training Day and Glory and Malcolm X were WAY stronger roles than that. It's bad enough the Black male image is assassinated by the same media who uses OUR music and pop cultural dictations to determine what's cool. To the point where it's been a chain of all our Black actors wearing dresses in movies and to where they got Dave Chappelle out of here (coincidentally, he's gone on record as saying he'd never wear a dress). It's obvious what the agenda is and if you have the power to demand something more, do so

I see what your saying but if this same dude makes a movie as great as star wars, with this movie then yea im all for it. But if this dude who makes star wars makes a movie on the level of a b grade movie aint supporting it just because its black.

Thats like supporting a movie about lena horn with the quality of lets say a "glitter" just cause its positive and has blacks in it, and the director was the same director who made dreamgirls. Instead how bout you demand that a movie about billie holliday have the quality of lets say a "chicago". And not settle for the first example. Its strength in numbers and money. Folks act like they being held at gun point and given only one option. I bet if ppl just didnt go at all, and went to hollywood studios and demanded these movies be made, and boycott these lackluster films, it would make more of an impact than spending money and supporting badd black movies just cause they have black folks in it and it isnt about shooting and killing.

lmao @ black men who fiend for Paid in Full and Belly yet talk bad about this film.
I see where you're coming from on this, but I haven't seen Red Tails yet, and vaguely remember Belly. As far as Paid in Full though, it may have
been a violent movie and such, but it was also very good, and very realistic. That's all I can ask for with those types of movies, along with other ones.

Paid In Full didn't re-enforce stereotypes or anything, it basically just put it all out there, and told it like it really is, and it ended up being very good.

Let's say a movie deals with segregation, racial undertones/overtones like Amistad or The Adventures of Huck Finn. Everybody knows the types of

things that went on, and you want it to be realistic and not try to sugarcoat anything, cause real-life then (and now) wasn't sugarcoated. There's a different

version of the Huck Finn movie made by Disney....it's awful, has this whimsical tone and is very cheesy, like they were trying to avoid racism or passively

present it. I detest that way of showing movies more than anything.  

There's a lotta things that look normal to the naked eye. That was just some stuff i picked up on. You'll have to read The Isis Papers to get a deeper understanding of some of what I'm talking about.

Even in Nicki Minaj's new video for example....there's a scene where she turns from a leopard in a cage to a woman in a cage. a Black woman with blond hair and colored contacts (brown). The song title is "Stupid @%$" and it comes off like a pardoy of people who idolize her...because she says nothing in the song. But peep how some black women lighten their skin and bleach their hair blond and put corrosive chemicals in their hair to straighten it. Women of color have grown more obsessed with the Eurocentric standard of beauty as time has gone by and IMO they have no basis on judging black men for interracial dating. I mean, if you're gonna get a white girl, you might as well get a real one no?

The last flick with a black male lead going against white antagonists was Blade...and even with that film, Wesley went on record as saying that he felt his part was marginalized by them deciding to add white actors. Storm is an African goddess with white hair. The running joke that black people die in the first few minutes of a flick. Black men cross dressing in their films and this trying to be portrayed in the backdrop of "Christian" values. I particularly find this funny because the very Bible these Christians that support Tyler Perry films read....it says in the Old Testament that a woman shouldnt wear mens clothing and men shoulda wear women's clothing because it's an abomination. Damn near every black actor has crossdressed except for Will and Dave Chappelle, who has gone on record as saying he wouldnt do it. Katt Williams joked about the secret hollywood homosexual parties in Pimp Chronicles. His career tailgated off. The "next" Black comedian is Kevin Hart...see if they'll try to get him in a dress.....SNL has an obsession with the Black men in dresses skits as well...Sir Charles was recently a featured guest and was wearing a dress. In X-men, Darwin had the power to adapt to anything, yet gets killed first....the female Black mutant is a go go girl who defects to the bad guy's side. The scene where he referred to slavery. Movies like Blindside and The Help, all showing people of color in an inferior light or having white daddy syndrome, depending on white folks in some way shape or form...hell, even the two stereotypical characters in Transformers 2 were a disappointment to me...and that's why i havent seen the third one to this day. Denzel didnt get an Oscar for Malcolm X or Glory or John Q, but he gets one for Training Day? One where he plays a dirty cop who gets killed at the end? Not even his strongest role?

This is why brothas need to support flicks like this. We can't sit back and bootleg these types of flicks then have all this negative stuff to say when a castrated black male role gets break through reviews or ticket sales. If you're not out actively supporting better roles, you have no basis to complain. We have a black president and people are upset about that, so Hollywood has gone crazy in the past few years with the jiggaboo !+$.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

3326s6q.jpg

You sure Hurricane is 0? I saw it had about 20 mill in profit. Pretty ironic though that out of those 5 movies, Hurricane is the only one I haven't seen.

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Put em up

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Info?

[h1]George Lucas says Hollywood won't support black films‎[/h1]
_57841684_001184727-1.jpg
George Lucas has invested $93m (£60m) of his own money into the movie

Director George Lucas says it took 20 years to get his latest film made, "because it's an all-black movie".

Speaking on The Daily Show, Lucas said he had to self-fund Red Tails, the true story of a group of African-American pilots who fought in World War II.

He claimed major film studios would not back the movie because "there's no major white roles in it at all".

"I showed it to all of them and they said, 'No. We don't know how to market a movie like this,'" he said.
lulz says the guy who only had like 2 black people in the entire Stars Wars universe 
laugh.gif

seems like dude is tryna rectify it with this movie and his girlfriend 
laugh.gif

I hate your negativity.

BlackMagnus just changed my whole view.

Each dollar is a vote...and the only way we can show them that we're worthy is to support more of our stuff.

Its the road to progress.

Complaining about each and every thing doesn't change the ultimate goal.

Its a lot of Malcolms vs Martin or Dubois vs Washington type debates going on in here...

Needless to say, we should support it with the end goal of hopefully overtime influencing producers, VCs, etc. to investing in "our brand" more heavily.
I think LDJ is right...but Black Magnus is MORE right.

I dont understand how people magically knew the quality of the whole film before it got released and before reviews started coming up. I'm coming off as preachy, but im looking at this whole thing with an understanding that Hollywood will not and is not ready to have these types of films. Tariq Nasheed and some others brought up a VERY good point. These studios are already biased against black actors as is..if the film bombs they wont make a flick like this for years.

(I saw three things in Red Tails that showed exactly why Hollywood was against the film.)

The trailer was that bad? The dubstep was a cross marketing idea to appeal to a younger audience. Cheesy? Why...the graphics? People werent complaning about Star Wars graphics/

Even if the flick was bad (i personally thought it coulda used more character development, but it's part of a trilogy), the actors are portraying black men in a positive light. I've seen cats on here act like Paid in Full and Belly were two of the greatest pieces of cinematic material the world has even seen. Movies where, although likeable, the characters were drug dealers. Yet, there's so much controversy with this film.

People are brainwashed and dont even know why the subconsciously feel why they do. Not even surprisingly, I've seen more outrage from some sistas about the film, talking about how the actors are married to white women so they wont be supporting it and how there are no black female roles in the film.
Everyone knows the power of the Black dollar. We have buying power in the TRILLIONS. My whole reason for going hard for this film is that it and others like it can be made to provide a balance. There's no balance in Hollywood. None and frankly, some of that is due to us not supporting flicks we should have. 

You're gonna tell me Black women (and subsequently their husbands they may bring along) are buying tickets movies where a 6 foot 3 Black man crossdresses and portrays a southern Mammy....gets bombed in Nazi German (white supremacist at its lowest) rule....this is controversial and now we're worried about quality?

Gimme a break here. 

blackmagnus514 wrote:

People are brainwashed and dont even know why the subconsciously feel why they do. Not even surprisingly, I've seen more outrage from some sistas about the film, talking about how the actors are married to white women so they wont be supporting it and how there are no black female roles in the film.
Of course 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Now im looking more forward to seeing this than i was.

movie wasnt bad and it is a step in the right direction for consistent positive black hollywood movies
I suggest people see the original Tuskegee Airmen movie also 

Mags, few questions.

1. The dress nonsense. Do you think it is just a ploy to feminize the black man? Whenever I bring this up to anyone they claim I am looking too deep into it. They just claim it is a comedic thing and white male actors put on dresses as well. It is just a Hollywood thing to create cross-dressers. Do you agree with that?

2. What are your thoughts about the Black men being married to white women in the film. Do you think that was thrown in there to smoothen out the amount of chocolate in the film?

Even back then there was a balance...

For every Boomerang, you had a Malcolm X..

Every Coming to America had a Do The Right Thing

Where's the balance now?

I spoke on Hancock in the other thread. Will Smith is a godlike character. He's also an alcoholic wreck. Peep how a white character (Jason Bateman) is the one who masterminds the PR effort to save Hancock's image...and his female romantic counterpart is Charlize Theron. African, and white with blond hair and blue eyes. For his powers to work, they have to stay far apart from each other.

Peep game?

Weather it sucks or not, I am going to Support My fellow Black brothers. I get what you saying OP. U forget you're on NT. 

I dont understand how people magically knew the quality of the whole film before it got released and before reviews started coming up. I'm coming off as preachy, but im looking at this whole thing with an understanding that Hollywood will not and is not ready to have these types of films. Tariq Nasheed and some others brought up a VERY good point. These studios are already biased against black actors as is..if the film bombs they wont make a flick like this for years.

(I saw three things in Red Tails that showed exactly why Hollywood was against the film.)

The trailer was that bad? The dubstep was a cross marketing idea to appeal to a younger audience. Cheesy? Why...the graphics? People werent complaning about Star Wars graphics/

Even if the flick was bad (i personally thought it coulda used more character development, but it's part of a trilogy), the actors are portraying black men in a positive light. I've seen cats on here act like Paid in Full and Belly were two of the greatest pieces of cinematic material the world has even seen. Movies where, although likeable, the characters were drug dealers. Yet, there's so much controversy with this film.

Everyone knows the power of the Black dollar. We have buying power in the TRILLIONS. My whole reason for going hard for this film is that it and others like it can be made to provide a balance. There's no balance in Hollywood. None and frankly, some of that is due to us not supporting flicks we should have. 

You're gonna tell me Black women (and subsequently their husbands they may bring along) are buying tickets movies where a 6 foot 3 Black man crossdresses and portrays a southern Mammy....gets bombed in reviews and still makes profit to the tune of said Black man getting 120 mil....yet a god damn movie about African American fighter pilots who fought in a real war to preserve the free world from German (white supremacist at its lowest) rule....this is controversial and now we're worried about quality?

Gimme a break here. 

I am seeing it because im interested in the story and george lucas take and perspective on the events of these men. I am not seeing it to stick it to THE MAN, show white ppl my dollar counts, or just cause its predominantly black actors/actresses. And I will judge the movie unbias, and scale it to any other movie of this same genre. I will not give brownie points cause george lucas made it, nor will i let the lack of blacks in hollywood sway my take on the movie. Or allow the subject of the movie give me a favorable vote for the movie because its the black thing to do.

If its great i will say so, if it sucks i will say so. Im not letting racism, prejudice views, and supporting blacks cloud my honest assesment of this film. All im saying I hope blacks do the same. And not think this movie is garbage, but voice that it is great.

This reminds me of black ppl supporting that good awfull "meet the browns" Yea it had black folks, they werent dealers and killers, etc... but the end product was hot garbage. 

Lets not take this same route with films. Like we did with tv shows. Give me some funny/good/entertaining wayan brothers, living color, martin, etc... then some family matters, my wife and kids just cause its all black and gives blacks a good look.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Maybe I'm coming across strong, but it's only because I feel that this flick can start an undercurrent. Denzel got an Oscar for Training Day and Glory and Malcolm X were WAY stronger roles than that. It's bad enough the Black male image is assassinated by the same media who uses OUR music and pop cultural dictations to determine what's cool. To the point where it's been a chain of all our Black actors wearing dresses in movies and to where they got Dave Chappelle out of here (coincidentally, he's gone on record as saying he'd never wear a dress). It's obvious what the agenda is and if you have the power to demand something more, do so.

Damn, preach
pimp.gif

My man....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Mags, few questions.

1. The dress nonsense. Do you think it is just a ploy to feminize the black man? Whenever I bring this up to anyone they claim I am looking too deep into it. They just claim it is a comedic thing and white male actors put on dresses as well. It is just a Hollywood thing to create cross-dressers. Do you agree with that?

2. What are your thoughts about the Black men being married to white women in the film. Do you think that was thrown in there to smoothen out the amount of chocolate in the film?

i will comment on this. I mean yea you got ms doubtfire and a few others, but the difference is most of the white counterparts diverse themselves and dont make crossdressing they go to move... nor is a large part of their body of work. Anyway you slice it you think of robin williams you dont think funny guy whose claim to fame and niche is playing a women. Cant be said about the tyler perrys, the martin lawrences....

DC,

It is a very blatant ploy. Your saw actor like Wesley Snipes play these types of roles...unnatural to even think of Wesley Snipes as that. People will take offense and say that you're looking too deep into it. Here's the science.

I'll tell you all.. read The Isis Papers. I'd read Malcolm X's autobiography and that was like the layup drill to me reading IP. Isis Papers is dead on the money. Basically the white male patriarchal system is afraid of Black male sexuality. It's taboo. It's forbidden. The fear of the system is the Black male populace become mentally stronger and aware of the circumstances. How will a Black male ensure that his survival is safe? By siring children. This is why when Black men were lynched, at times, they were castrated. The black gene is the most dominant gene....Melanin is the specific trait that black folks usually have. Black male sexuality is a threat because it can ensure that genetic mixing will happen...and that will meanan end to the "perfect" race that the likes of Hitler (who was said to be possessed by devils, if you believe in the occult) had in mind. The system is obsessed with power. Look at the Washington Monument...a white phallic image,gigantic in size.

White women arent as averse to being sexually attracted to Black men, although they have a lot to lose from their families or communities. Where do you think the phrase "tall, dark, and handsome" comes from? Why the emphasis on darkness which would imply a degree of melanin? Why the obsession with tanning?

I'm paraphrasing from The Isis Papers. But that book opened my third eye to a lot of stuff that goes down. This is why as a black male, you should carry yourself a certain way.

So with black male characters playing effeminized roles, there's no threat. He's a joke, a parody of Black masculinity and a mockery. Even look at Jamie playing Wanda and Marlon/Shawn in white girls, they were foolish. You're not looking too deep into it.

as far as the Black male/White woman romance in the film, i touched on that in the other thread but didnt want to spoil it here. Basically.

3. This might be the main one. The interracial love story. I dont think that them picking the pilot with the darkest skin for this one was by coincidence either. Entertainment has an obsession with black male sexuality...usually characters are portrayed as irresponsible playboys or pimps or players or something of the ilk with a repercussion coming midway or towards the end. Black male sexuality is still taboo and this is why black men tend to be scrutinized harder. This is because the black gene is the more dominant gene...why do you think they castrated some black men before and after they hung them? The ability to sire progeny was an obvious threat. I cant even remember an interracial love story between a black male role and a white female lead role since Hancock...and look at the flick. Will is basically a god and Charlize was a goddess...but for him to use his powers, he has to stay far apart from her. His character is also an irreponsible alcoholic in the beginning of the flick. So with the interracial scenes, Hollywood isnt too fond of an image of black men potentially procreating with white females. I personally have nothing wrong with interracial dating in either black male/white female or white male/black female roles. It's just something i picked up on. White male lead characters normally have the pick of the litter in terms of romantic aspects.

this also relates to my point i spoke about a few lines above

Hmm, I need to read Isis Papers then. I have heard her speak in Hidden Colors so I will go see if it is at the Library when I go to work Monday.

I remember Tariq or Umar Johnson (Wassup Putty), speaking about how white men were fascinated with the black male's body during the times of slavery. They said a lot of people don't like to talk about how often male slaves got raped by their owners.

Where's the balance now?

I spoke on Hancock in the other thread. Will Smith is a godlike character. He's also an alcoholic wreck. Peep how a white character (Jason Bateman) is the one who masterminds the PR effort to save Hancock's image...and his female romantic counterpart is Charlize Theron. African, and white with blond hair and blue eyes. For his powers to work, they have to stay far apart from each other.

Peep game?
Maaaaan you're definitely right about that balance, but you could apply that to a lot of things (especially music...and definitely hip hop music). That Hancock thing had me thinking too.
Didn't really pay it any mind until I had seen it the second time. Hollywood is something else, especially when you're seeing something that should be very obvious to people, but for some

reason they don't see it.

That type of Hollywood imagery has been burned into people's minds for so long. You have the "damsel in distress" thing, "trophy white woman" syndrome, black characters as subordinates

no matter how high up they go, etc. It's pretty telling

[table][tr][td]
on_line.gif
DCAllAmerican[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][-][/td][/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 01/21/126:53 PM
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

I laughed while reading that question, but I can't think of any answer other than yes. It's "more appealing" that way.

Where's the balance now?

Peep game?

pimp.gif
Most definitely.

Back
Top Bottom