The Movie Red Tails...Go support your people.

Originally Posted by Put em up

It's always that one black dude, I swear that will knock anything that promotes blacks in a positive light.
30t6p3b.gif

You don't have to go see a [insert race] movie to support/promote your [insert race] culture/ethnicity.

If anything, just help others and treat others like how you would like to be treated and that would go a whole lot further in promoting [insert race] "in a positive light".

Plus telling everyone to go watch this is supporting the same companies that support SOPA/PIPA. (I know it's irrelevant 
glasses.gif
)

Originally Posted by LDJ

It's always that one black dude, I swear that will knock anything that promotes blacks in a positive light.
30t6p3b.gif

Um if you havent seen the movie.. 1 how can you say what light it shows the movie in before you have seen it? 2 why see something that you dont find interesting? So your in essense saying you should go enjoy something despite being uninterested in it simply because its a so called good look.

Whats next ppl should go out and see anything regardless of quality and content just cause its positive and you think it might be positive? I would rather see a good quality movie with good quality black actors in a serial killer movie, hell even a goofy comedy movie like a hangover, then a bunch of horrible black actors, in a bad quality movie, about something like lets say the rosa parks story.

Ok seeing you have that mentality why dont you stop buying nikes, and pick up some starbury shoes, or some antwan jamison kicks. Its the same theory. They are as of now bad quality bball players, making bad quality kicks, but hey they doing something positive by giving most/almost all proceeds to black communities. But nope instead you are going to still by them j's them air max etc... why? Because they promoting a good quality athlete, a (questionable on this) good quality product, despite they arent really doing anything significantly positive.....(see sweatshops, and horrific pay and work conditions.)

i swear folks and their hypocries these days.
I get what you are saying, But this movie is a test. The point is to show them ( Hollywood) that this kind of movie can sell. I mean, we will go see sucky transformers movies and other crap, but when it comes to black crap, "no thanks"

Originally Posted by versache530

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

yo its amazing that you dont rock with this thread but yet you keep lurking...whats ups? you really that thristy for somebody to side with you?

you dont like the thread aite i understand that...but like you really heated right now. damn. dont you got something better to do then post gif's for lulz..

I just feel the need to understand your logic man, that if one is black, it's imperative that they support this movie. Furthermore they SHOULD also feel compelled to like it....
However everyone else, kick rocks.....

'splain that one Lucy.....

i think dude is saying since hollywood wouldn't back this movie saying an all black action movie will fail, that we should go out and prove them wrong by spending our dollars. trying to turn things around in hollywood. if money talks, let's spend our money and show em what up? is that right OP?

but the movie was good. i liked Neyo's character. dude was funny. true DSGB from back in the day. dip in his mouth and all. lol.

But how would it turn things around exactly? Ok suppose the movie does well... So ok and. What would this lead to. More studios creating black movies I suppose. But the thing is they wouldnt be making good quality black films, they would only be making movies solely on the premise that all black cast, something other then tyler perry=getting more black folks dollars.

End of the day supporting this movie just cause isnt going to change hollywood views/acceptance. Because if they felt it was important to make good quality black films, solely on its the so called right thing to do, or to show blacks in a positive light... they would be already doing it. I mean they spend money on bs like paul bert=mall cop, howard the duck, dickie roberts: former child star. 

And you cant honestly think some execs/hollywood thought these type of movies were going to be smash hits, and a movie like ray, ali, etc were gonna be major flops. End of the day they dont care about making good quality black films with good quality black actors unless its a demand for it. If you just say hey you can put any bs out so long as its chopped full of black folks and isnt your stereotypical black film we will suport it. Ala the reason tyler perry is so huge. But if your trying to send a message that by supporting black movies with a message/positive is going to change the views/opinions etc.. of how hollywood percieves and think of blacks... you need to wake up and get a serious reality check. Aint nothing going to change that. All your gonna get is them making movies solely for the outcome. Whether its a tyler perry movie or a movie like antwan fisher, or a movie like the help. End of the day hollywood views and opinions about blacks aint changing. Only thing gonna change is what product they give you to line their pockets. 

Saw the movie & I liked it. Lucas is always a little heavy handed in the melodramatic dialog dept (see Star Wars episodes 1 through 3 as examples), but the action scenes - the dog fights were crazy good. If anything else, the movie told an important story that doesn't get shared a lot. My 8 year old even liked it. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

30t6p3b.gif

You are missing the point with your comparisons.  This is about the portrayal of blacks in movies and entertainment.  If Nike put out sneaks called the AK47 or cocaine/weed kicks and promoted them as sneakers for Black people, maybe you would have a viable comparison. However, movie studios put out Black movies like Brooklyn's Finest, Menace to Society, etc. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

30t6p3b.gif

Um if you havent seen the movie.. 1 how can you say what light it shows the movie in before you have seen it? 2 why see something that you dont find interesting? So your in essense saying you should go enjoy something despite being uninterested in it simply because its a so called good look.

Whats next ppl should go out and see anything regardless of quality and content just cause its positive and you think it might be positive? I would rather see a good quality movie with good quality black actors in a serial killer movie, hell even a goofy comedy movie like a hangover, then a bunch of horrible black actors, in a bad quality movie, about something like lets say the rosa parks story.

Ok seeing you have that mentality why dont you stop buying nikes, and pick up some starbury shoes, or some antwan jamison kicks. Its the same theory. They are as of now bad quality bball players, making bad quality kicks, but hey they doing something positive by giving most/almost all proceeds to black communities. But nope instead you are going to still by them j's them air max etc... why? Because they promoting a good quality athlete, a (questionable on this) good quality product, despite they arent really doing anything significantly positive.....(see sweatshops, and horrific pay and work conditions.)

i feel what u saying in this post and your previous one, but i'm taking supporting this movie as promoting black accomplishments, not so much to others, but to other black people. a lot of people don't know their history or what we have accomplished. this is pertaining to red tails. as far as tyler perry. i was feeling his movies at first, but now they are all the same, but i'm not mad that i supported him initially because i'm happy that a black man made it, and that black folks put him where he is. the more black people that make it, the more we can change things for ourselves . i don't look at it as trying to impress white folks or prove to them that we are something, to me, it's more of doing it for ourselves. help a black person that is doing something positive be successful. that's what i'm for. as far as Starbury shoes. i bought plenty of pair. they were throw aways to me. rock em til the get dirty and toss em. yes, they weren't great quality, but they were also $15. Jordan makes bad quality crap and they are $150-200. Starbury did something positive. tried to help out black communities, and i'm all for that. my take on it is uplifting black people for black people. not to take anything away from other races. i'm just pro black. that doesn't mean that i'm anit white or anti any other race. i thought red tails was a solid movie. it wasn't the greatest movie ever, but i'm not dissappointed in it. it's just a little uplifting for the black race which makes it even better.

Disagree with you on this one LDJ.

There are a ton of good black stories that aren't getting funded because of the "the public won't support "Black Movies"" excuse.

If this does well it could open up the gates to more investments in our stories.

There aren't too many all black cast movies in theatres and we get this one and people are all like "oh why should i be forced to see it just because there are black people in it?" I would rather read the reviews of people who actually saw it then the people who wont go see it because of "horrible actors"

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by versache530

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

I just feel the need to understand your logic man, that if one is black, it's imperative that they support this movie. Furthermore they SHOULD also feel compelled to like it....
However everyone else, kick rocks.....

'splain that one Lucy.....

i think dude is saying since hollywood wouldn't back this movie saying an all black action movie will fail, that we should go out and prove them wrong by spending our dollars. trying to turn things around in hollywood. if money talks, let's spend our money and show em what up? is that right OP?

but the movie was good. i liked Neyo's character. dude was funny. true DSGB from back in the day. dip in his mouth and all. lol.

But how would it turn things around exactly? Ok suppose the movie does well... So ok and. What would this lead to. More studios creating black movies I suppose. But the thing is they wouldnt be making good quality black films, they would only be making movies solely on the premise that all black cast, something other then tyler perry=getting more black folks dollars.

End of the day supporting this movie just cause isnt going to change hollywood views/acceptance. Because if they felt it was important to make good quality black films, solely on its the so called right thing to do, or to show blacks in a positive light... they would be already doing it. I mean they spend money on bs like paul bert=mall cop, howard the duck, dickie roberts: former child star. 

And you cant honestly think some execs/hollywood thought these type of movies were going to be smash hits, and a movie like ray, ali, etc were gonna be major flops. End of the day they dont care about making good quality black films with good quality black actors unless its a demand for it. If you just say hey you can put any bs out so long as its chopped full of black folks and isnt your stereotypical black film we will suport it. Ala the reason tyler perry is so huge. But if your trying to send a message that by supporting black movies with a message/positive is going to change the views/opinions etc.. of how hollywood percieves and think of blacks... you need to wake up and get a serious reality check. Aint nothing going to change that. All your gonna get is them making movies solely for the outcome. Whether its a tyler perry movie or a movie like antwan fisher, or a movie like the help. End of the day hollywood views and opinions about blacks aint changing. Only thing gonna change is what product they give you to line their pockets. 

what do you mean by "quality films"? Most films that hollywood put out suck. the point is to show that a black cast and actors can be appealing. Why is shia labeouf the male lead in transformers? because he has appeal, byt the number of box office dollars his movies pull in. That role could be by ay race, asian black etc. If red tails does well, itll get a sequel. Thats how the industry works. If it does well, it will spotlight some of the actors in the film and get them more work. To me, its not only about films, its about getting "our" actors a fair shake. IMO this doesnt just go for black people, but asians etc. Why do asian men only get leading roles in Kung fu movies?

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by LDJ

30t6p3b.gif

I get what you are saying, But this movie is a test. The point is to show them ( Hollywood) that this kind of movie can sell. I mean, we will go see sucky transformers movies and other crap, but when it comes to black crap, "no thanks"

And the answer to the test is go see something regardless if its good or not. Thats imho stupid. Its basically saying i dont... no wont demand a good quality movie with good quality actors. instead i will settle for garbage... but if im going to settle for garbage it better be black garbage.

Not to get off basis but this segways kinda into my kids school. The black folks are complaining about the quality of education at my kids school. So instead of saying we wont a better quality of education, all the black folks like nah we will settle for the same garbage education, teaching, supplies etc... so long as its more blacks providing this garbage education, teaching, supplies. A more balanced of the race of ppl proving a poor education etc... nah i dont demand better teachers... ill accept bad ones, so long as they black. If my kids are going to get a poor education and have less then steller educators my damnit they better be inadequate less then steller black teachers.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

And the answer to the test is go see something regardless if its good or not. Thats imho stupid. Its basically saying i dont... no wont demand a good quality movie with good quality actors. instead i will settle for garbage... but if im going to settle for garbage it better be black garbage.

Not to get off basis but this segways kinda into my kids school. The black folks are complaining about the quality of education at my kids school. So instead of saying we wont a better quality of education, all the black folks like nah we will settle for the same garbage education, teaching, supplies etc... so long as its more blacks providing this garbage education, teaching, supplies. A more balanced of the race of ppl proving a poor education etc... nah i dont demand better teachers... ill accept bad ones, so long as they black. If my kids are going to get a poor education and have less then steller educators my damnit they better be inadequate less then steller black teachers.

for the first part see my above post. for the second part, you arent getting it. Im sure the parents want better education, but more like than not its not going to happen. So at least if we're gonna have sucky education (movies) at least give all races a fair shake at providing that bad education. Spread the jobs around. Another example, bodegas and chinese corner stores. They provide crap food.  So if people are gonna buy crap, why not buy it from black people and support our community. Thats the issue. 
Of course I would prefer an oscar winning film, but chances are its not going to happen. So since its not, why cant the crappy movies lead be black, or non white.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Disagree with you on this one LDJ.

There are a ton of good black stories that aren't getting funded because of the "the public won't support "Black Movies"" excuse.

If this does well it could open up the gates to more investments in our stories.

Agreed its an excuse. The reason is because they simply dont want to do it. And them doing it will only be to exploit blacks for a dollar is my point. Also good story is one thing but if it is poorly executed, and or has bad acting, blacks shouldnt support it just cause it has a good message. My point is go see the movie from an objective mindset. And give a truly honest opinion about the movie, and dont let the race of the cast, or the message of the story sway you to think its a good movie, if you feel it isnt.

I can see alot of black ppl going to see this movie despite not being interested in it, not caring about the message, and some not even liking the movie, but feel compelled to say they do and support the movie just to say hey i support black folks, or fear of backlash of the black community. Or even fear of if I dont ill never get to see a all black cast movie again.

Originally Posted by LDJ

for the first part see my above post. for the second part, you arent getting it. Im sure the parents want better education, but more like than not its not going to happen. So at least if we're gonna have sucky education (movies) at least give all races a fair shake at providing that bad education. Spread the jobs around. Another example, bodegas and chinese corner stores. They provide crap food.  So if people are gonna buy crap, why not buy it from black people and support our community. Thats the issue. 
Of course I would prefer an oscar winning film, but chances are its not going to happen. So since its not, why cant the crappy movies lead be black, or non white.

Oscar quality movies can happen if you dont settle for bs is my point. No one is forcing ppl to go to movies, same as your theory of corner stores etc... Its that mindset that makes things the way they are. 

It never fails. I see it in businesses all the time. Its like blacks folks see good/quality etc.. as some unreachable unattainable object. and whenever its there within reach, being so use to settling and mediocracy they cant fanthom it or believe it and will not support it anyhow.

As far as movies like transformers etc... They can and have made blockbuster movies with the sex symbol etc main character is black. Reason that stop is again all about settling and money. Hollywood basically is like ok black ppl aint spending money on quality, they just spending just cause, and will spend just cause so long as its some black folks in it. And they proved it by putting out garbage and guess what black folks bought it. 

Im all for supporting blacks, or any race for that matter, but i wont support garbage, or spend money on garbage just because of someone skin tone is my point. If this occurs one of two things will happen, blacks will step up and provide quality, or they will stop producing all together thus not having garbage in the first place. This notion of not demanding quality, but instead settling for garbage so long as its supporting black folks isnt supporting at all. It simply is just reassuring, and cosigning garbage.

Imho I rather have no movies well not support no black movies that are garbage then to support it just cause its black. Thats like saying i have to go out to eat. Going to a good quality restaurant is out the question. so i will settle for bad, but if im going to eat crappy food, and be treated bad, and horrible customer service, they should be of my same race. This will show eateries that i demand good service and good food. When really all it shows is you wont demand better food/quality ull eat anything and get treated anyway but only by ppl of your own.

Originally Posted by LDJ

First off this whole black ppl need to prove something aka get massa to accept me and like us bs is old worn out and tired. You could remake and tell every story about every single triump and tragedy in black history and at the end of the day... the same ppl you trying to impress and get acceptance from still aint going to be impressed nor accept you.

Second to support a movie just because it has ppl of your race in it despite whether it is good or quality is just outright stupid. I mean real talk especially with black folks. I mean we have folks out here who wont buy a person rap album because they arent street cred, or arent real hip hop, etc... or just outright garbage in their opinions. But if a movie express these same traits you should go see it..

Its basically like saying oh I wont by a waka flocka cd etc.. souijah boy, bow wow etc. Because its garbage no good. But ill support a movie with actors I dont like and think are garbage and a movie that I think is garbage just because their black. Well arent these so called garbage rap artist etc black also? So how is it different?

Also not to mention that if you support a grabge movie just cause its black, you in a sense are hurting your cause, because hollywood will think ok this sell so we should produce/create more garbage black movies. Then you back at square one.

This same thing happen with tyler perry. Black folks were complaining about blaxplotation and boyz n da hood/menace to society.. type movies and wanted more down home family oriented and relationship type movies. Then black folks were like regardless of whether or not this movie by this guy tyler perry is garbage or not go out and support it, or else we will keep getting menace to society, juice, south central type movies.

Well of course like sheep black folks in packs went and support tyler perry just cause. Now these same ppl are complaining that oh we have to many of these garbage tyler perry movies. When all this could have been avoided by not going to support the garbage just because it was a certain type of black film in the first place.

If this movie isnt all that and it smashes the box office, watch hollywood flood the market with half-baked garbage watered down movies of this nature. Then them same folks who said support red tails and other movies to follow suite, will be dissing and saying stop supporting the garbage, and direct black folks to support whatever is out thats different from these type of movies just because its different and because its black.

End of the day go see the movie and enjoy/dislike the movie based on the body of work, not because of the race of ppl in the movie, nor because your tired of other type of black movies, or just to show hollywood entertainment that black folks count. they already know this cause they counting your money all the way to the bank. And at the end of the day the same folks you trying to impress get acceptance from feelings aint gonna change. Only acceptance you gonna get is them accepting your money.
Well said. 

No doubt.

I agree with your point about not trying to having to prove anything to anyone and that it may be counterproductive to support a bad movie but the movie doesn't look bad to me and it has been getting some good reviews from people that I know personally. Plus I don't think Hollywood would purposely try to make "bad movies" just because this one was succesful.

If this was a George Lucas movie about a white fighter squadron, we wouldn't even be having this discussion and the flick would probably be #1 at the box office...easily. Throw in a cast of B-list white actors and some obscure WWII mission and there would be a hype filled 20 page thread about it.

There is an apprehension from others and most importantly from our own people, when it comes to consuming "black oriented products", we automatically assume that its an inferior product. I think thats the real problem and the real reason for the rally around this movie.

I mean its a Lucas action film, no real reason not to see it.

We know its all about the $$$ at the end of the day thats why we have to be educated consumers when it comes to fields that we are underrepresented in. Your dollar is a vote and I wouldn't mind seeing more films depicting black people in positions of power.

Most importantly, if Red Tails does well it will make it easier for Spike Lee...or the future Spike Lee to get funding to make the next great "Black Movie".

The end game is good black films made my good black movie makers.

Our stories, through our lens...universally acclaimed by all people.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

Oscar quality movies can happen if you dont settle for bs is my point. No one is forcing ppl to go to movies, same as your theory of corner stores etc... Its that mindset that makes things the way they are. 

It never fails. I see it in businesses all the time. Its like blacks folks see good/quality etc.. as some unreachable unattainable object. and whenever its there within reach, being so use to settling and mediocracy they cant fanthom it or believe it and will not support it anyhow.

As far as movies like transformers etc... They can and have made blockbuster movies with the sex symbol etc main character is black. Reason that stop is again all about settling and money. Hollywood basically is like ok black ppl aint spending money on quality, they just spending just cause, and will spend just cause so long as its some black folks in it. And they proved it by putting out garbage and guess what black folks bought it. 

Im all for supporting blacks, or any race for that matter, but i wont support garbage, or spend money on garbage just because of someone skin tone is my point. If this occurs one of two things will happen, blacks will step up and provide quality, or they will stop producing all together thus not having garbage in the first place. This notion of not demanding quality, but instead settling for garbage so long as its supporting black folks isnt supporting at all. It simply is just reassuring, and cosigning garbage.

Imho I rather have no movies well not support no black movies that are garbage then to support it just cause its black. Thats like saying i have to go out to eat. Going to a good quality restaurant is out the question. so i will settle for bad, but if im going to eat crappy food, and be treated bad, and horrible customer service, they should be of my same race. This will show eateries that i demand good service and good food. When really all it shows is you wont demand better food/quality ull eat anything and get treated anyway but only by ppl of your own.

you can have that mentality dude, but we all support crap. So at least if Im gonna support crap, at least its crap that I may believe in.  And its not about settling its about whats in front of you at the moment. Underworld and Red tails are out now. Both crap. I could not see a movie, or I could pick the crappy movie that will make a difference

LDJ keeps saying that the movie Red Tails is crap and hasn't even seen it. Dude is just arguing just to argue. Of course DoubleJs is going to come in to cosign because DoubleJs is against anything that is positive for Blacks.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I'm prolly gonna pay to watch this, even tho it doesn't look appealing to me---something about this movie looks hella cliche
nerd.gif
and it has nothing to do with race

I know I ride Tarantino's D like crazy but he would've done a much better job with this imo
nerd.gif

The black version of The Basterds, with airplanes
grin.gif
@Anton: Your avy always halts my scroll down 
laugh.gif

Oh.... I already saw this movie back in 1995 with Laurence Fishburne.  Critics gave it two-thumbs up.  Eh. it was average.

[h1]The Tuskegee Airmen 1995[/h1]

See and this is why our communities won't ever be strong like others. A message was sent to belittle a community and yet we still have to debate is the cause strong enough for us to stand together, and other excuses.

Movie was good but not great.  It was lacking something; plot wasn't deep as it needed to be.  Sophia 
embarassed.gif
.  Was surprised they'd cast a black man and white woman dating. Spoiler: of course Joe gets killed off and doesn't get to marry that fine piece; I knew Hollywood would have some catch.

You guys are missing the point. No one wanted to support it NOT ONLY because it's an all black film but because it looks boring.

When I first saw the trailer I knew it was going to bad and probably tank. It looks like a History Channel movie.

Using Transformers and this is laughable and warrants no discussion.

"most people white people are subconsciously racist"

Thinking like that makes you subconsciously racist...
ohwell.gif
Racism will never end.

There's so many rich black celebrities though.. They can fund these movies without their bank account breaking a sweat. Why doesn't anyone talk about that?

Originally Posted by cguy610

LDJ keeps saying that the movie Red Tails is crap and hasn't even seen it. Dude is just arguing just to argue. Of course DoubleJs is going to come in to cosign because DoubleJs is against anything that is positive for Blacks.
laugh.gif
Please show me my track record that even remotely suggests that I am against all things positive for Blacks. 

All this because I don't care to see this movie
roll.gif
....we've actually had good discussions on this in another thread (and this one), but all it takes is one dude to get his panties in a bunch and get all sensitive to derail that. 

Hollywood is so liberal, until it affects their bottom line.
Although, this particular film (while a compelling tale) looks terrible. 

Back
Top Bottom