The NBA Draft Thread

Kemba is a much better comparison considering Steph's shooting & Kyrie's creativity off the bounce are major outliers.

But then so is DSJs athleticism :lol:

Anyway. kemba made himself into a fine player. And DSJ is substantially better at this stage than kemba was.

Knicks have strong interest in Ntilikina. Mavs have done a better job recruiting and building relationships. He wants to be in Dallas

Wonder what Dallas would give up to move up to #8

Last edited:
Bill Simmons (who spent 90% of the podcast drinking Danny Ainge Kool Aid and said the Celtics were the 3rd best team in the NBA) had a great segment where his dad came on and trashed Ainge's draft record.

It took the whole podcast but it was nice to listen to a non-homer Celtics fan.

Jarred Sullinger 
laugh.gif

Fab Melo 
laugh.gif

J.R. Giddens

Trading for Telfair

Olynyk

Rozier

Gerald Green 
sick.gif

Bill's like "well the next 8 picks were all terrible but then we took Marcus Smart number 6..."

Last edited:
I'd call Kelly Olynyk a hit
At the very, very, very, very best he's an OK role player.  Not a desirable one.  That's kind of the point.  Ainge's only draft hits have been good role players in the post Big-3 era.  

Last edited:
Some team going to give him $10-$12M per year this summer...
Well as a fan I think you should listen to the pod, because it does a good job of two different opinions from fans of the same team.  I'm definitely on the side of Ainge's draft record being questionable at best but I'm sure you hear these arguments all the time among Celtics supporters.

Terry Rozier? Really? Who else would you have taken instead with the 16th pick?

He played a really solid role in the Wizards series.

Last edited:
Someone of Olynyk's caliber is really all you can ask for in the late lottery.
Hindsight is of course 20/20 but there were some good players drafted Olynyk that year. Greek Freak and Gobert were both available. If Ainge is going to be labeled a genius you got to knock him for those misses.  

Terry Rozier? Really? Who else would you have taken instead with the 16th pick?
The point is your entire strategy has been around collecting mid to late assets and you've totally failed to find true difference makers with those picks whether it's in the lottery or the late or mid first. 

All these guys are replacement level.  Yeah they're not terrible.  They're fine for the draft position.  But they don't win championships for you.  And when you do have a good core you can sign those guys off the street.

Last edited:
Ainge's draft picks are what Al Horford was to bigtime free agent signings.

Last edited:
I thought Bobby Portis would be the pick
I actually thought that too at the time, but he hasn't been anything special thus far...

If you're picking outside of the lottery, and in the 20s for the most part, getting a role player is generally the best case scenario for you unless you get really lucky.

The point is your entire strategy has been around collecting mid to late assets and you've totally failed to find difference makers with those picks whether it's in the lottery or the late or mid first. 

This. Failed to trade the assets and then failed to draft anybody worthwhile. Can't praise him when he collects picks and then when he picks bums say yea but look at the draft position

This. Failed to trade the assets and then failed to draft anybody worthwhile. Can't praise him when he collects picks and then when he picks bums say yea but look at the draft position

In all fairness to Ainge, the really good picks didn't start until last year. I thought he was fine until he traded down to pick a player who plays the same position as the 3 pick last year.

Ainge turned a 25 win team into a 1 seed in 3 years. And now the good picks are just beginning to kick in....

You guys should also give some credit to Brad Stevens for making it work and literally getting the best out of every single one of his players.

Back
Top Bottom