The NBA Draft Thread

DSJ is good in the pick and roll. 

A lot of draft experts seem to feel differently.  Just pulling from Draft Express for example:

"Smith is still figuring out how to effectively blend his scoring and passing ability, as he can be a bit of a ball-stopper at times, dribbling the air out of the ball and settling for long 2-pointers off the dribble before any of his teammates even get a touch. N.C. State's offense didn't look very smooth with him at the helm, as he can be a bit predictable at times with his approach, not always being a willing passer, and killing his dribble unnecessarily too frequently, leading to careless turnovers. While the lack of coaching and poorly-suited roster around him were definitely mitigating factors to consider, there's no doubt that Smith played a major role in his team's inability to win games and overall dysfunction."

Not saying that's correct or not, but you feel he's better than Lonzo as a passer?
DSJ is a good pick and roll point guard. He definitely needs the ball to effective from what I've seen. Never saw him do much stuff off ball, but NC State relied on him to create offense for everybody.

But he's not undersized.
He's small.  Especially as primary scorer in today's NBA.  He's listed at 6'2 but who knows how accurate that is.

I'm not even saying the guy is going to be bad or picking on him personally, I'm just saying I recognize the patterns here.

He's without a doubt a more talented basketball player than Lonzo, but Lonzo impacts the game much better. Its kinda hard to say though because that NC State roster was trash. Put Lonzo on NC State and they'd be just as bad imo.

But he's not undersized.
He's small.  Especially as primary scorer in today's NBA.  He's listed at 6'2 but who knows how accurate that is.

I'm not even saying the guy is going to be bad or picking on him personally, I'm just saying I recognize the patterns here.

Since when is 6'2" undersized? And he has a 48" vertical that he uses.

If he has any issues, it won't be due to size.

I feel like a narrative was created about DSJ and it just stuck. He's been labeled as a one dimensional score first PG, but in all actually hes really effective in the pick and roll. As the best scorer on his team i think he only averaged about 12 field goal attempts per game so hes definitely not a chucker.  He was also a 6 assist per game guy playing with suspect talent. I don't know if he's better than Lonzo but I'd take him over Fox. 

Tjarks on the Ringer NBA pod was saying that he is a big DSjr fan but wants to see him fall to Dallas as the ideal situation, was saying he wouldn't want him in the triangle.

Keep Dennis out of the triangle.

Dallas would def be a good fit. We've seen how Carlisle was able to maximize Yogi Ferrel, JJ Barea and Seth Curry....he'd do wonders with a guy as talented as DSJR

Interesting the teams that had the top 2 picks didn't believe Fultz was THE guy.

I'm still trying to figure out why Zach Collins is a lottery pick.

10ppg
6rpg
2bpg

In 17mpg.....mobile 7footer that shot 48% from 3 on limited attempts. Blocks shots and can protect the rim.

Toughness and consistency is all I question. I'd take him in the lottery no question.

Smith literally was in a turd sandwich of a situation.

Lonzo played with two other first round picks, and a bunch of shooters (Holiday/Alford) at UCLA.

Fox played with two other first round picks at UK.

Smith has no one to pass two. He's really not the ball hog they are making him out to be. He had to score cause if he didn't, his team didn't stand a chance. He had a lame duck coach and not a semblance of professional talent around him. And he played in the best conference in America where he has defenses completely selling out to stop him. Easy looks weren't a thing that were coming to him.

Go and watch that game against Duke and tell me he is some low IQ chuck. That was as good a game as I saw anybody play all year.

My issues with him are on defense where I think he'll always suck but he has Lillard potential offensively to me.

His shot isn't broken like Fox. He was solid shooting last year with limited spacing around him. If everyone is expecting Fox to become an average shooter than why isn't he being afforded the same room for growth where he could potentially become a really good shooter.

Mane that game against Duke that smith had , I was watching thinkin this dude on some NBA **** :lol: ...like one of them TNT thurs night late games when somebody goes off , he fried that team single handedly :pimp:

NT mock draft, zach collins fell all the way to milwaukee so picked him up at 17. That was mostly cuz he could shoot, otherwise I woulda drafted someone else.

All I'm saying is, score-first undersized point guard, yeah he doesn't play defense and he ballhogs sometimes but he's a gritty dude with a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove everyone wrong and btw everyone on NT loves him...

I feel like I've heard it a million times.  It never works out.  Let's be honest and admit that some fans are psychologically inclined to overrate short players.  Especially ones who look to score first.
not undersized and I'm not even sure if it's fair to label him shoot-first given his situation.

Offensively I like him better than any other guard besides Fultz.

Back
Top Bottom