The New Nike Shox

I'm bummed to hear that. Did they feel pretty stiff to you or what exactly makes you say that?

They didn't even make these in my size. But if you go to the "behind the design" thing or whatever it's called on the SNKRS app, the designer talks about the changes made to the shoe.

I'm a huge fan of shox (as you can see fro my profile pic) aesthetically but in terms of performance or comfort the shoes have always been either mediocre or terrible (if the Shox were heel-only). So IF they change the build of the shoes they can only make them better in terms of comfort, lol.

Foam columns with no springs sounds like they should've kept these in the vault.

I know shox are uncomfortable because they look uncomfortable.

But if you take away the gimmick that just defeats any purpose it might've had.

I still say start over and start exposing some springs.

They did it in the early 2010s with the oddball Air Max Hyperballer but that model became rather obscure rather quickly
680.jpg

Not to burst some peoples previous ideas of what Nike Shox were, but there was never an actual spring within the Shox. They were rubber or foam columns that were hollowed inside with air. Springs were never part of the equation.

whats_inside_nike_shox_larg.jpg

The columns were built to be collapsible under pressure and would "spring" back due to foam/rubber responsiveness.

I would expect this new iteration of Shox to be an improvement to the past Shox shoes. Mostly because I'm assuming they are using a more responsive foam. My pair gets in tomorrow, I will let you guys know.

Curious to see how you feel about them, definitely update us.

I never claimed that the old Shox had springs, but they were usually rubber and had that collapsible design that's shown in the picture above. The new ones are just straight/cylindrical columns, with the designer putting emphasis on "flow" rather than cushion. Hopefully I'm wrong about my assumptions. Then again, the "original" design wasn't exactly magical...I remember I had a pair of runners with four Shox in the heel and they were amazing until one of the columns broke and caused my foot to pronate.

Curious to see how you feel about them, definitely update us.

I never claimed that the old Shox had springs, but they were usually rubber and had that collapsible design that's shown in the picture above. The new ones are just straight/cylindrical columns, with the designer putting emphasis on "flow" rather than cushion. Hopefully I'm wrong about my assumptions. Then again, the "original" design wasn't exactly magical...I remember I had a pair of runners with four Shox in the heel and they were amazing until one of the columns broke and caused my foot to pronate.
Ya I was quoting you on that ha, I saw the guy that said expose the springs inside like they exposed air. But will definitely let you know. I don’t expect them be a revolution or better than Air, or ZoomX. But could be a solid shoe for just day to day wear.

I'm a huge fan of shox (as you can see fro my profile pic) aesthetically but in terms of performance or comfort the shoes have always been either mediocre or terrible (if the Shox were heel-only). So IF they change the build of the shoes they can only make them better in terms of comfort, lol.

I think the OG Shox used some type of Polyurethane in their construction. Cushioning as you said was highly subjective and from my days working retail, it seemed that only the 'heavy' cats really found them comfortable. I had horrible experiences with the running Shox while the 'lower' basketball Shox were super comfortable.

off-topic but I wonder why Nike isn't putting out more ZoomX stuff...that seems like the type of cushioning that could put them further ahead after a solid 2017.

off-topic but I wonder why Nike isn't putting out more ZoomX stuff...that seems like the type of cushioning that could put them further ahead after a solid 2017.
They will be implementing it in more models this year. They are doing the same with React also.

Not to burst some peoples previous ideas of what Nike Shox were, but there was never an actual spring within the Shox. They were rubber or foam columns that were hollowed inside with air. Springs were never part of the equation.

whats_inside_nike_shox_larg.jpg

The columns were built to be collapsible under pressure and would "spring" back due to foam/rubber responsiveness.

I would expect this new iteration of Shox to be an improvement to the past Shox shoes. Mostly because I'm assuming they are using a more responsive foam. My pair gets in tomorrow, I will let you guys know.
So it's basically vapormax technology?

OG shox R4 had forefoot zoom along with the heel shox. This new version has nothing in the forefoot and a higher price point. Hmmm

Just got my pair in and they are very comfortable. The heel is a little high and may be a problem with extended wear and "no-see" socks.

The toe box mesh is very soft and stretchy. Not unsupportive but definitely better suited for a lifestyle shoe. The heel setup is pretty firm but comfortable. The lacing system is different, the toggle is a little flimsy but effective. Aesthetically, I think they’re quite striking. Not bad for a 140-150 dollar shoe.
10D057A6-0173-4C81-8A61-DF7EBC3F14AE.jpeg
61CDFECA-E180-4D3D-8D24-A888AB907BEF.jpeg
EFA03B7C-F38E-4949-9B6F-85C4DE8FC0F2.jpeg

Full transparency, returned both pairs. I wore em for a little bit. Found them uncomfortable after an hour - kinda narrow. And the disparity of support in the front vs the rear was off putting. Too spoiled by more supportive pairs like vapormax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom